What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (7 Viewers)

In my 2 main leagues I drafted Gordon in the 5th and 7th round so I paid a price for him and was not going to drop him when we all knew he might sue etc. But I suppose I could see why someone might get mad if they dropped him after the league said hes out for the year. But thats the breaks. In another league (play on 2 fun leagues) got him off the WW when another owner dropped him. I am waiting for the Sh*&%T to hit the fan in that league. If its 8-10 games then i dont expect much furor etc but if he were to get 0-6 games I expect the previous owner and other owners to have a fit. In one league

Last edited by a moderator:
On the other hand, I'm kind of enjoying seeing the Gordon owners getting booted from my leagues or drifting towards the cellar
:unsure: In week 2?
Survivor style, low man gets the boot and is done for the year.

The other leagues are so competitive that you really had to knock it out of the park to avoid losing ground in the standings.

The only non bb league I play in is actually a 96 teamer where 8 iterations of each player are available. Gordon went before the 10th in all 8 drafts as I recall and hasn't been released in any of them.

Congrats to you guys in leagues where you can/could get him for peanuts.

Ryan Swope said:
Those sweet sweet non-Gordon owning tears. Delicious.

But in all seriousness, I actually used a draft pick on Gordon. It was the last pick in my draft, but there was speculation he could get reduced suspension for a long time, and that gave him value. It's not like he is some unknown who exploded onto the scene that nobody could possibly have guessed, he is a highly talented player.

That being said, I feel REALLY bad for anyone who drafted him hoping for a reduced suspension, released him when the appeal was denied, and then lost him in free agency.
He was going in the 7th to 10th in most of my leagues. He hasn't been dropped in any of the IBL leagues (my only leagues with FA moves). Of course I'm talking about leagues with FBG caliber competition in those leagues.
Man I loved that league. Very cool setup.

Ryan Swope said:
Those sweet sweet non-Gordon owning tears. Delicious.

But in all seriousness, I actually used a draft pick on Gordon. It was the last pick in my draft, but there was speculation he could get reduced suspension for a long time, and that gave him value. It's not like he is some unknown who exploded onto the scene that nobody could possibly have guessed, he is a highly talented player.

That being said, I feel REALLY bad for anyone who drafted him hoping for a reduced suspension, released him when the appeal was denied, and then lost him in free agency.
He was going in the 7th to 10th in most of my leagues. He hasn't been dropped in any of the IBL leagues (my only leagues with FA moves). Of course I'm talking about leagues with FBG caliber competition in those leagues.
Man I loved that league. Very cool setup.
:goodposting: miss that one a little

tandl71 said:
It would be as if someone in every league gets a free Calvin Johnson from free agency. Horse s**t.
my leaguemate who claimed him got a free upgrade to calvin because of all this (traded gordon and dez to me for calvin)

I picked up Gordon for free off WW in 2 leagues on sept 4th...another guy had drafted him but dropped him once his appeal was denied.
That's what I did. Dude that dropped him was NOT happy in the least. Cried foul, the whole deal. I'm commish too and I told him I had no intention whatsoever of dropping him. In another league I had drafted him with my next to last pick. The appeal was denied so I dropped him.I was lucky enough to get him back when there started to be some rumblings.

Long Ball Larry said:
tandl71 said:
It would be as if someone in every league gets a free Calvin Johnson from free agency. Horse s**t.
I went ahead and banned Gordon for life from all the leagues I commish. I also banned all other players not drafted in the first 5 rounds.
Pshaw! I not only banned Josh Gordon, I banned Alex Gordon, Tom Gordon, Flash Gordon and Gordon from Sesame Street. Also Goran Ivanesevic just to be safe.

BTW, I have it on good authority that not only will Gordon be immediately reinstated, but Yahoo will also declare him eligible at QB, TE and D/ST. Oh, and he'll be legally changing his name to Joemarques Webbolston.

Long Ball Larry said:
tandl71 said:
I went ahead and banned Gordon for life from all the leagues I commish. I also banned all other players not drafted in the first 5 rounds.
Pshaw! I not only banned Josh Gordon, I banned Alex Gordon, Tom Gordon, Flash Gordon and Gordon from Sesame Street. Also Goran Ivanesevic just to be safe.

BTW, I have it on good authority that not only will Gordon be immediately reinstated, but Yahoo will also declare him eligible at QB, TE and D/ST. Oh, and he'll be legally changing his name to Joemarques Webbolston.
Link?

What's fair value for him currently before the announcement?
To a Gordon owner - Calvin

Offered CJ2k and Welker for Patterson and Gordon and was turned down.

Honestly there is no answer to your question because league set-up comes into play. Depth of playoff structure and start date of playoffs matter. Also the competitiveness of your league.

In all seriousness, I'm kind of hoping for anything other than the rumored 8-game ban. If he comes back in the next week or two, great, if he's still out for the season, I'll move on. But it's going to be tough to navigate all the bye weeks with a dead bench spot.

Long Ball Larry said:
tandl71 said:

Link?
Sure thing. Here you go.

In all seriousness, I'm kind of hoping for anything other than the rumored 8-game ban. If he comes back in the next week or two, great, if he's still out for the season, I'll move on. But it's going to be tough to navigate all the bye weeks with a dead bench spot.
In this type of senario, if Gordon gets a 6-8 or 10 game suspension and you dont have bench room or cant navigate the bye weeks etc, you trade Gordon. You get more if he is back after 6 games and you get less if he is back after 10 games. if its just 6 games you can get a #1 WR for him. or 2 really good players and if its 10 games you can get a really good WR2 or RB2 . But thats a good plan if the suspension (if there is one) is not feasable for a team. I mean if its a 6 game suspension you can probally get a Dez Bryant or B marshall for him .

So from what I hear and read Gordon would be suspended anywhere from 6-10 games. I assume that is games and not weeks ?? SO if its a 8 game ban he would be back week 10 because week 4 is a bye week?
The latest tweet isn't necessarily the most accurate tweet, my friend.

It seems like there will be a vote tomorrow. I am guessing this gets resolved tomorrow.

Beyond that, it is apparent that your guess is as good as anyone else's. Don't take the latest guess as gospel. That mistake had been made about 136 times in this thread alone.

Albert Breer, don't know how wired in he is, but has some pretty definitive statements:

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer 7h
This much I've been told repeatedly: The NFLPA will not put a proposal to a vote without knowing it'll pass overwhelmingly.

Circumstances tomorrow will not be dissimilar to Tuesday night. If the deal is acceptable, they'll vote. There's been progress since then.

The NFLPA got the new proposal from the NFL tonight, and the language issues seem to be worked out. Good chance this is done tomorrow.

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer 6h
Said earlier union won't vote on drug policy unless they know it'll pass. I'm told a vote is expected. Story from @RapSheet and me coming.

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 6h
New drug policy, if approved, would include higher marijuana threshold. But every current suspension reviewed individually. Including Gordon

In this type of senario, if Gordon gets a 6-8 or 10 game suspension and you dont have bench room or cant navigate the bye weeks etc, you trade Gordon. You get more if he is back after 6 games and you get less if he is back after 10 games. if its just 6 games you can get a #1 WR for him. or 2 really good players and if its 10 games you can get a really good WR2 or RB2 . But thats a good plan if the suspension (if there is one) is not feasable for a team. I mean if its a 6 game suspension you can probally get a Dez Bryant or B marshall for him .
lol I assume this is satire?

I don't think there's any way you could get a Marshall or Bryant for him. Those guys are their likely #1 WR. They can't go 6 games without anyone.

I Am the Stig said:
Bayhawks said:
I Am the Stig said:
bolzano said:
Rick James said:
bolzano said:
The Gordon case remains tricky as his failed test took place before new league year, which is when grandfathering in new rules would begin
https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/510145906659061760

Again, the language in the agreement is key- WIll the new marijuana policy be applied to all players suspended in 2014 (league year), or will it only apply to players who tested positive during the current year? If it's the former, then Gordon will be reinstated immediately. If it's the latter, then we might be screwed.
I don't know...why go through all the negotiations and back-and-forth only to have this still be an issue? It just seems arbitrary.
I agree that the time of positive test is a morally arbitrary factor and hence it's not fair that Gordon remains suspended while, say, Welker is immediately reinstated. However, amnestying players who failed tests in 2013 might open up a can of worms that the NFL doesn't want to deal with, e.g., some players have already served their suspensions in full and might want compensation, etc.
It isn't a can of worms. Anyone who is currently being punished for a rule that no longer exists they should be "set free". If the rule changes the punishment currently being served must be adjusted.This isn't about retroactively lifting suspensions, it is about looking at players currently being punished for a rule that no longer exists.

The can of worms is the lawsuits the league opens themselves up to over lost wages for upholding a punishment that is no longer valid.

It is more than just Gordon or Welker playing, it is about the income they are losing and they will sue to get paid.
Okay. Then why did those people who were in prison for violating prohibition not immediately freed when it ended? Because they were in prison for breaking a law. Just because the law changed doesn't mean they didn't break it.Gordon broke a rule. He was punished. If the rule changed AFTERWARDS, Marty McFly didn't pull up in his Delorean and go back in time so Gordon never smoked the dope. He still broke the rule that was in place at that time.

If they didn't want to lose the income, they shouldn't have smoked up or taken Molly/amphetamines/adderal, whatever he took.
It isn't illegal to offer retroactive ameliorative relief in the US, generally those convicted would seek a pardon if the Law changed in their favor. While such a relief would not be guaranteed it isn't impossible and in fact, the US is one if the few Nations that doesn't offer guaranteed retroactive ameliorative relief of overturned laws in the world.Just Free Josh Gordon already, there is no retroactive or legal can of worms to do so.

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/01/02/no-relief-convicted
So you cite an article that shows IN THE UNITED STATES, it is not standard practice to forgive people for breaking laws if/when those laws change as support for the idea that Josh Gordon SHOULD BE forgiven for breaking a rule if/when that rule changes? And Josh Gordon does live in the United States, and the NFL is headquartered in the United States? The NFLPA is a labor organization in the United States?

Um...what's your point again? :confused:

The argument by those who say "if the rule changes, Gordon should automatically get off" is wrong. Can he get off? Sure, the NFL and NFLPA are evidently negotiating about that, but that doesn't mean he DESERVES to get off. There was a rule, he knew what the rule was, he knew what the punishment was, he broke the rule, he was given the agreed upon punishment. IF things change and he gets some/all of that punishment forgiven, he got lucky & good for him, but he DESERVES no forgiveness, despite the policies of other nations (or even the policies of the United States, as this is a matter of labor relations, rather than US law).

I Am the Stig said:
Bayhawks said:
I Am the Stig said:
bolzano said:
Rick James said:
bolzano said:
The Gordon case remains tricky as his failed test took place before new league year, which is when grandfathering in new rules would begin
https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/510145906659061760

Again, the language in the agreement is key- WIll the new marijuana policy be applied to all players suspended in 2014 (league year), or will it only apply to players who tested positive during the current year? If it's the former, then Gordon will be reinstated immediately. If it's the latter, then we might be screwed.
I don't know...why go through all the negotiations and back-and-forth only to have this still be an issue? It just seems arbitrary.
I agree that the time of positive test is a morally arbitrary factor and hence it's not fair that Gordon remains suspended while, say, Welker is immediately reinstated. However, amnestying players who failed tests in 2013 might open up a can of worms that the NFL doesn't want to deal with, e.g., some players have already served their suspensions in full and might want compensation, etc.
It isn't a can of worms. Anyone who is currently being punished for a rule that no longer exists they should be "set free". If the rule changes the punishment currently being served must be adjusted.This isn't about retroactively lifting suspensions, it is about looking at players currently being punished for a rule that no longer exists.

The can of worms is the lawsuits the league opens themselves up to over lost wages for upholding a punishment that is no longer valid.

It is more than just Gordon or Welker playing, it is about the income they are losing and they will sue to get paid.
Okay. Then why did those people who were in prison for violating prohibition not immediately freed when it ended? Because they were in prison for breaking a law. Just because the law changed doesn't mean they didn't break it.Gordon broke a rule. He was punished. If the rule changed AFTERWARDS, Marty McFly didn't pull up in his Delorean and go back in time so Gordon never smoked the dope. He still broke the rule that was in place at that time.

If they didn't want to lose the income, they shouldn't have smoked up or taken Molly/amphetamines/adderal, whatever he took.
It isn't illegal to offer retroactive ameliorative relief in the US, generally those convicted would seek a pardon if the Law changed in their favor. While such a relief would not be guaranteed it isn't impossible and in fact, the US is one if the few Nations that doesn't offer guaranteed retroactive ameliorative relief of overturned laws in the world.Just Free Josh Gordon already, there is no retroactive or legal can of worms to do so.

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/01/02/no-relief-convicted
So you cite an article that shows IN THE UNITED STATES, it is not standard practice to forgive people for breaking laws if/when those laws change as support for the idea that Josh Gordon SHOULD BE forgiven for breaking a rule if/when that rule changes? And Josh Gordon does live in the United States, and the NFL is headquartered in the United States? The NFLPA is a labor organization in the United States?Um...what's your point again? :confused:

The argument by those who say "if the rule changes, Gordon should automatically get off" is wrong. Can he get off? Sure, the NFL and NFLPA are evidently negotiating about that, but that doesn't mean he DESERVES to get off. There was a rule, he knew what the rule was, he knew what the punishment was, he broke the rule, he was given the agreed upon punishment. IF things change and he gets some/all of that punishment forgiven, he got lucky & good for him, but he DESERVES no forgiveness, despite the policies of other nations (or even the policies of the United States, as this is a matter of labor relations, rather than US law).
It is simple. There is no legal reason that Gordon's suspension can't be lifted because the law rule changed during his punishment. There is no law against it in the US. It is simply a matter of process. It also doesn't mean that he will be let off the hook either, but stating that the "NFL can't lift his suspension because he smoked in 13 and the rule changed in 14 doesn't affect him" is wrong.

They have no legal obligation to lift his suspension but they also have no legal reason to keep him suspended either.

I don't think there's any way you could get a Marshall or Bryant for him. Those guys are their likely #1 WR. They can't go 6 games without anyone.
Was late and I should have made myself more clear. You include more players , say you trade a Pierre garcon or Keenan Allen type player with Gordon for a Marshall . Now this is as long as he is out only 6 games. You get Marshall and he gets Allen to play while he waits for Gordon to be available after 6 games and you get some relief from carring Gordon for all those weeks.. Does that sound fair?

Was late and I should have made myself more clear. You include more players , say you trade a Pierre garcon or Keenan Allen type player with Gordon for a Marshall . Now this is as long as he is out only 6 games. You get Marshall and he gets Allen to play while he waits for Gordon to be available after 6 games and you get some relief from carring Gordon for all those weeks.. Does that sound fair?
Personally, it sounds nice, but I wouldn't give up a WR1 for Gordon 8 weeks from now. It just comes down to how your roster and schedule looks on top of which guy you like more, Marshall or Gordon. I know K Allen is a very good life raft.

I'd think about that offer long and hard but unless I'm feeling really good about my team I'm likely turning it down. And in week 2 it is hard to feel strongly one way or another about the team.

I picked up Josh Gordon for the grand total of free, he was sitting on the wire. I snatched him up at the first report. If its 8 weeks its 8 weeks. Ill keep him on the bench. Im not tossing him back if hes reinstated.

will be interesting to see if the NFLPA gives Roger the right to suspend for DUI before the legal process is complete.like LeVeon Bell

Everyone jumping up and down about Josh and Welker coming back early maybe bummed out by who gets suspended from the HGH test as well

will be interesting to see if the NFLPA gives Roger the right to suspend for DUI before the legal process is complete.like LeVeon Bell

Everyone jumping up and down about Josh and Welker coming back early maybe bummed out by who gets suspended from the HGH test as well
It would be a tough break to lose Bell.....he looks great...a top 5 RB this year with his ability in the receiving game...

But Gordon being back immediately would give me the player to trade for a top 5 RB anyway..

I doubt we hear anything about the vote on the new policy until Monday or Tuesday next week. Hope I'm wrong....I own Gordon in most of my dynasty leagues.

I doubt we hear anything about the vote on the new policy until Monday or Tuesday next week. Hope I'm wrong....I own Gordon in most of my dynasty leagues.
Thinking about were the NFL can get the most bang for the buck distractions from this story mon/tues does make the most sense

I would think the NFL would like to find some distraction from the Ray Rice-Goodell controversy as soon as possible.

I would think the NFL would like to find some distraction from the Ray Rice-Goodell controversy as soon as possible.
I would think this as well. No idea what time the vote is going down but I would think they want players back playing this weekend if at all possible to offset that story.

Thinking about were the NFL can get the most bang for the buck distractions from this story mon/tues does make the most sense
Monday is the day the sports media spends talking about what happened on Sunday. That would be a terrible idea. And the rest of the media doesn't care.

Users who are viewing this thread