What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (9 Viewers)

Benched him but I don't feel bad about the reasoning behind the guys I put in - Fitzgerald, V Jackson and Boykin. I'll quite happily take my medicine and move on ( probably mostly helped by the fact I should win today )

Personally, I don't know much about Campbell so was quite happy to treat today as a scouting mission as to how he would shape up with regards to Gordon.

Got my answer emphatically.

This is what happens when you NEGLECT FACT, try to get cute, and bench your studs...

Hate to say I told ya so.... but, ya
FACTS pointed to a big day against the Packers last week too, but he laid a turd. Someone following that same line of thought to not bench him last week would have been wrong. Talent doesn't always win out, and there were certainly enough factors going against him this week to be gunshy again. Talent came out ahead this week, unlike last week, and it could have gone either way. That's why this is a game of chance.

Anyone can be right after the fact.

Hopefully he'll have more of these games than last week's games going forward, but obviously from last week's results, nothing is ever a guarantee.
Yea this is wrong. We benched Gordon last week because of what they've done to #1 WRs recently. Much different situation than this week.

Exactly, I don't have anyone better on my bench. I am not an "always play your studs" person, but in this case, knowing that several receivers have played very well against them, I am not scared of the matchup...I think this game might be more wide open than expected, 2 teams not familiar with each other (unless you count a slight overlap of Turner and Reid in 2000 I think?
I NEVER apply this to stud WR's. No matter what I play them and I think thats the case here with Gordon.

I hope he stays put in Cleveland. A trade to Minny/Jets/Niners would stink, they are all run first teams and/or have poor QB play. At least Cleveland throws a lot, and it's just him and Cameron. He already knows the system too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand all the talk revolving around trading Gordon. Don't the Browns want to become a pass first team. How can trading away such a talented young receiver help that.

Gordon reminds me of that Kelly kid in Bad News Bears - he just hits home runs and keeps this terrible team in contention.

They're not trading him, Walter Mathau is going to get him all the beer and ice cream he wants.

I'd still have a bit of concern about Campbell staying healthy. IIRC he got dinged with OAK and CHI last two years. Not saying bench Gordon, just it's possible Weeden could get pressed into service again.

Can someone who has more experience researching him than I do give me a quick synopsis on what the conventional wisdom says about this guy off the field. He says he failed the test because of codeine. I guess what I'm getting at is are we dealing with a crazy person who has zero control and is likely to screw this up and be done or are we dealing with a misunderstood kid who is going to take care of business from now on? I realize nobody knows for sure but was hoping maybe some Cleveland insiders or locals have their finger on the pulse of the situation a little more than I do. TIA

Can someone who has more experience researching him than I do give me a quick synopsis on what the conventional wisdom says about this guy off the field. He says he failed the test because of codeine. I guess what I'm getting at is are we dealing with a crazy person who has a zero Control and is likely to screw this up and be done or are we dealing with a miss understood kid who is going to take care of business from now on? I realize nobody knows for sure but was hoping maybe some Cleveland insiders or locals have their finger on the pulse of the situation a little more than I do. TIA
Its all in the body of this thread but here are the quick cliff-note bullet points:

- got suspended in college for pot use at Baylor

- got kicked off the team at Baylor for pot use

- failed a drug test at Utah and never saw the field so he came out early and was taken in 2nd rd sup draft by CLE

- young talented kid came to team late and fell behind in camp

- saw field due to injuries and blew up

- this offseason he failed a drug test in Feb for codeine but that incident wasn't made public till later in spring

- early in spring Josh posted a Twitter pic of a guy 'who looked like Josh' bending over a bong toking

- the above pic was pulled but then Josh posted on Twitter that his fav TV program is WEEDS (wink-wink)

- he Feb codeine failed drug test was made public when NFL announced Josh suspended 2 games

- he was issued a citation for excessive speeding in the summer while facing his suspension

Reporters who looked into the 2-game suspension reported that Josh would have HAD to have failed at least two other drug tests before the codeine failed drug test was made public.

Also the codeine explanation by Josh is flimsy as codeine/cough syrup is an intregal comonet of a recreational drug concotion called 'purple-drank' which really cast dispersions on Josh's explanation.

Add: the team lost both games he was suspended. Not long after he returned from his suspension it was made public that Josh was the celebrity host of a party at a local bar the night of the Browns Thursday Night game against Buffalo.

Very immature young man, extremely talented. Has or had buddies who smoke a lot of pot that he has to distance himself from.

His buddies and his compulsion to smoke pot has already cost him a first round contract and two game checks and that issue could possibly ruin his career before he earns the contract that could set him up financially for life.

Um, he's also got to lighten up on the partaying while at the same time completely put down the pipe and lay-off the, drank, Tweet'n, and lead foot'n too.

Oh and for those proposing that the Browns would trade him for a second, let alone a fourth round draft pick, they need to put down the crack pipes.

• Smile
Reactions: SCT
On that topic...why are PED's that don't have harmful side effects banned? Why is creatine ok? Isn't it supposed to enhance your performance right? If everyone is allowed to use a product and it has no ill-side effects, why would it be banned? Vitamins are performance enhancers to a degee no?

Remind me why marijuana is a banned substance again?
Because it is illegal.
But lets continue to inject players with copious amounts of pain killers so they can get back on the field, and ruin their lives after 35

Right.
It's not whether its good or bad for you, it's just that it's illegal. Nothing you can do about that. This isn't the right place to debate whether it should or shouldn't be illegal.

Because it is illegal.
But lets continue to inject players with copious amounts of pain killers so they can get back on the field, and ruin their lives after 35

Right.
It's not whether its good or bad for you, it's just that it's illegal. Nothing you can do about that. This isn't the right place to debate whether it should or shouldn't be illegal.
Gordon should just pay his way into a marijuana card and smoke to his heart's content.

But Im also in the camp that couldnt care less if an athlete was smashing rails of coke hourly and using PED's like clockwork.

anything that ramps up the game, is cool in my books.

Because it is illegal.
[SIZE=11.81px]Remind me why marijuana is an illegal substance again?[/SIZE]
Its because their are very powerful 'individuals' who run drugs into the country and they don't want competition so they purchase government officials to continue the charade and they dupe drug enforcement officials to go after the small-fry and incarcerate them.

That is why America has the highest level of any country in the HISTORY of the world incarerated at any time.

So the drug runners don't get caught, they own the government who make the laws that keep drugs illegal, they also own the jails so they make money by every arrest and incarceration, and by keeping drugs illegal and having the enforcement folks under their thumbs they keep the competition in jail.

Now that is why drugs are illegal.

Somebody makes money and they are interested in domination and controlling the drugs and money for themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADTbYLUEUZI

60 Minutes CIA Drug Smuggling # 1

Uploaded on Aug 28, 2007

60 Minutes CIA Drug Smuggling it wasn't just Gary Webb reporting this stuff back in 1996

Hate to be the SP police, but can we please keep the rationales and opinions behind the illegality of certain drugs out of the discussion? They are by no means pertinent.

But Im also in the camp that couldnt care less if an athlete was smashing rails of coke hourly and using PED's like clockwork.

anything that ramps up the game, is cool in my books.
That's an awesome camp to be in, but no way the NFL is ever going to make an illegal drug permissible in it's league rules. So your point is pointless.

If you could guarantee that he'd never be suspended again (yeah yeah, I know....) would he be top 10 dynasty right now? Top 5?

Rotoworld:

All eight of Josh Gordon's career touchdowns have come from 20-plus yards out.
Gordon continues to light up the league with unique ball skills and speed at 6'4/220. Despite the rocky quarterback situation in Cleveland, he's averaging 5.3 catches for 97.0 yards with three touchdowns on the season. The Browns should be asking for a hefty haul at Tuesday's deadline if they're really thinking about trading this 22-year-old star. Gordon says he's aware that he's one strike away from a year-long ban and wants to stay in Cleveland.

Source: Akron Beacon-Journal

Bracie Smathers said:
SCT said:
Can someone who has more experience researching him than I do give me a quick synopsis on what the conventional wisdom says about this guy off the field. He says he failed the test because of codeine. I guess what I'm getting at is are we dealing with a crazy person who has a zero Control and is likely to screw this up and be done or are we dealing with a miss understood kid who is going to take care of business from now on? I realize nobody knows for sure but was hoping maybe some Cleveland insiders or locals have their finger on the pulse of the situation a little more than I do. TIA
Its all in the body of this thread but here are the quick cliff-note bullet points:

- got suspended in college for pot use at Baylor

- got kicked off the team at Baylor for pot use

- failed a drug test at Utah and never saw the field so he came out early and was taken in 2nd rd sup draft by CLE

- young talented kid came to team late and fell behind in camp

- saw field due to injuries and blew up

- this offseason he failed a drug test in Feb for codeine but that incident wasn't made public till later in spring

- early in spring Josh posted a Twitter pic of a guy 'who looked like Josh' bending over a bong toking

- the above pic was pulled but then Josh posted on Twitter that his fav TV program is WEEDS (wink-wink)

- he Feb codeine failed drug test was made public when NFL announced Josh suspended 2 games

- he was issued a citation for excessive speeding in the summer while facing his suspension

Reporters who looked into the 2-game suspension reported that Josh would have HAD to have failed at least two other drug tests before the codeine failed drug test was made public.

Also the codeine explanation by Josh is flimsy as codeine/cough syrup is an intregal comonet of a recreational drug concotion called 'purple-drank' which really cast dispersions on Josh's explanation.

Add: the team lost both games he was suspended. Not long after he returned from his suspension it was made public that Josh was the celebrity host of a party at a local bar the night of the Browns Thursday Night game against Buffalo.

Very immature young man, extremely talented. Has or had buddies who smoke a lot of pot that he has to distance himself from.

His buddies and his compulsion to smoke pot has already cost him a first round contract and two game checks and that issue could possibly ruin his career before he earns the contract that could set him up financially for life.

Um, he's also got to lighten up on the partaying while at the same time completely put down the pipe and lay-off the, drank, Tweet'n, and lead foot'n too.

Oh and for those proposing that the Browns would trade him for a second, let alone a fourth round draft pick, they need to put down the crack pipes.
Former Baylor WR Josh Gordon hopes to leave his past behind himExcerpt:

In October 2010, Gordon and teammate Willie Jefferson were arrested after they fell asleep in a drive-through line at a Taco Bell. Police found marijuana in Jefferson’s car. Jefferson, who was driving, was kicked off the team because it was his second violation.

Rotoworld:

All eight of Josh Gordon's career touchdowns have come from 20-plus yards out.
Gordon continues to light up the league with unique ball skills and speed at 6'4/220. Despite the rocky quarterback situation in Cleveland, he's averaging 5.3 catches for 97.0 yards with three touchdowns on the season. The Browns should be asking for a hefty haul at Tuesday's deadline if they're really thinking about trading this 22-year-old star. Gordon says he's aware that he's one strike away from a year-long ban and wants to stay in Cleveland.

Source: Akron Beacon-Journal
Gordon is a "home run hitter" of a WR if I've ever seen one. All of his TD's seem to be big plays and this post re-affirms that: All of his TD's have been 20+ yards. I can't believe he is only 22 years old as well. The kid is one of the best up and coming WR's in the entire league; one could argue he is already there after his performance this season:

He recorded more than 125 yards for the third time in six games and scored his third touchdown of the year.
Since his suspension was up, we have (PPR w/ bonuses):

So he is averaging 19.6 ppg. That would make him the #3 WR in my league after Dez Bryant with his 19.8 ppg (not including this week's numbers)

That is a stud if I've ever seen one. The Browns would be out of their minds to trade this kid unless they got blown away with a trade offer. The only reason I would even entertain a thought of trading him would be due to his suspension; that 2 gamer means he is one mistake away from a full year.

Schefter just said on SportsCenter that the Browns are still talking to teams about Gordon, but it would take an offer "that knocks their socks off" to get something done.

Soulfly3 said:
Because it's too easy to grow at home and a lot of Gov. jobs depend... on...

uh...

I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

steveski said:
Soulfly3 said:
Because it is illegal.
Anyone find it ironic that the NFL suspends players for using illegal drugs while simultaneously backing a sport that is inherently dangerous for the players? "We're risking our cognitive functions and bodies for your bloodsport, but we're drug free!"

The Skins should roll the dice on this kid. Give up their 3rd round pick.

I had to start 2 of Boykin, Gordon, and Blackmon. Boykin was my "sure", safe pick. Out of Gordon and Blackmon, I chose Blackmon. Really, my choice came down to Henne over Campbell more than the opposing defense. Figured both are legit studs and will get theirs as long as the qb can deliver the ball. Doubted Campbell.

Obviously, Campbell proved me wrong. I'll take my medicine and happily reinstate Gordon into the lineup moving forward.

Am I missing something? I know that Gordon is one strike away from being dinged for the year, but why in the world would the Browns trade him? He looks to be one of the top 10 -15 WR talents in the league.

Unless you get a 1st round pick (which I don't think is coming because of the risk factor) for him, trading the best offensive talent the team has had since Braylon Edwards' one good year seems idiotic.

If I were the Browns I would just pray he gets his head on straight so I can team him and Cameron with my new rookie quarterback next year.....some nice blocks there along with Thomas and Mack on the OL.....seems like a nice setup to bring along a rookie QB

Rotoworld:

Sources tell the Plain Dealer that the Browns got "several good offers" for Josh Gordon Tuesday.
None of the offers were good enough to cause the Browns to pull the trigger. If Gordon can keep his nose clean off the field, he'll reward their patience. At just 22 years old, he's averaging 5.3 catches for 97.0 yards with three touchdowns in six games. Extrapolated over a 16-game season, that would be 85 catches for 1,552 yards and eight scores. Rebuilding teams don't trade away young, cheap players with this kind of ability.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Rotoworld:

Sources tell the Plain Dealer that the Browns got "several good offers" for Josh Gordon Tuesday.
None of the offers were good enough to cause the Browns to pull the trigger. If Gordon can keep his nose clean off the field, he'll reward their patience. At just 22 years old, he's averaging 5.3 catches for 97.0 yards with three touchdowns in six games. Extrapolated over a 16-game season, that would be 85 catches for 1,552 yards and eight scores. Rebuilding teams don't trade away young, cheap players with this kind of ability.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer
I have a question:

We know that Gordon is one more violation from getting a one year suspension. Does that carry forward to next year and his entire career?

Users who are viewing this thread