What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (7 Viewers)

Predicting 3-17-0
4-75-0, arrested in the third quarter.
Stop. Save the pious (non)shtick for the FFA.
Take it to mean that among that wide range of outcomes is the very real one that Gordon does something else to screw up his life long before he could give you any kind of real return on investment. History says that he's unreal when he stays on the field. But it also says you usually don't have to wait very long between screwups, and the league has to have him on an almost invisibly short leash by now. :shrug:

I think the most likely scenario is a few struggles, combined with a few good games the rest of the way as he acclimates into the offense again. But nothing would really surprise me, including a string of monster games right out of the gate, a string of disappointing struggles, an OC hesitant to make him the instant focal point of the offense followed by a full-on Gordon media meltdown and doghousing, or a third quarter on-field arrest.

It's part of the charm of owning Gordon right now. He's sort of a scratch-off ticket. But damn that grand prize makes him appealing...

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's forget the fantasy implicaton here for a minute...

as a Browns fan, from a family of Browns fans... this is our conversation this past week.

We're 6-4. Without Gordon. Mostly without Cameron = 2 Probowlers, one a supremely elite Probowler. Now, without Mack. Now without Dansby and Sheard (tho only for one game apparently). Plus a bunch of others hurt.

We went from 1st to last in the division in ONE WEEK. That's how tight it is. It's insanity.

Taking everything into consideration, what will "playing it safe" do for the Browns right now? Probably nothing. A good season, complimented by missing the playoffs. This defense is going to leak more points than earlier in the season due to the plethora of injuries.

So?

So we have to score. Sure, we will still lean on our running game, and hopefully The Crow and Go West get those chunks, keep defenses honest, and then we have Gordon back to just blow the game wide open.

I dont say this just because I love Gordon... Because I do, and I dont hide that. But Im a Browns fan. And many/most of us agree - This team is going to need to SCORE, and Gordon will be a massive part of that.

I dont have any "fears" of him being eased into action, because we cant afford to ease him in. He's been at the facilities, hes been to meetings, he's been doing work outside of the compound w teammates (according to some reports)... If he isnt ready after this week of practice, he wont be at all.

He's as fresh as it gets. No bumps, bruised, injuries to speak of... The other players may be game loose, but Gordon is prime.

Anything less than a full compliment of snaps for him would be a shock to me. I stand by this and will be right here to take my smacks if he doesnt.

This, as a Gordon fan... but mostly, as a Browns fan

Has anyone heard anything out of the Browns practice? Wondering how rusty he looks. During preseason he didn't look great and dropped a number of easy passes...

That said, I'm starting him over Julio, OBJ, and Jordan Matthews this week with blind faith. The Cleveland Gordons will prevail this week!

Is there an O/U out there for his receiving yards for the rest of the season? Just made a small wager with a co-worker and curious if I got a good deal on over 450 yards

Is there an O/U out there for his receiving yards for the rest of the season? Just made a small wager with a co-worker and curious if I got a good deal on over 450 yards
450yds in 6 games?

He has to average 75yds/game

He might do 450 in 2 games

Predicting 3-17-0
4-75-0, arrested in the third quarter.
Stop. Save the pious (non)shtick for the FFA.
Take it to mean that among that wide range of outcomes is the very real one that Gordon does something else to screw up his life long before he could give you any kind of real return on investment. History says that he's unreal when he stays on the field. But it also says you usually don't have to wait very long between screwups, and the league has to have him on an almost invisibly short leash by now. :shrug:

I think the most likely scenario is a few struggles, combined with a few good games the rest of the way as he acclimates into the offense again. But nothing would really surprise me, including a string of monster games right out of the gate, a string of disappointing struggles, an OC hesitant to make him the instant focal point of the offense followed by a full-on Gordon media meltdown and doghousing, or a third quarter on-field arrest.

It's part of the charm of owning Gordon right now. He's sort of a scratch-off ticket. But damn that grand prize makes him appealing...
2013 says that he's unreal when he can stay on the field. And hopefully 2013 was "turning a corner" and not an anomaly. But let's not forget he was 50/96-800-5 in 2012.

He also (over his two years in the league, and individually in each of the two years) catches 50-55% of his targets, which doesn't put him in the top 100 for that category in the NFL and is significantly below Miles Austin numbers if those stats hold out this year. I think there's a real question mark when you combine that stat with this coaching staff saying he'll need to earn his way onto the field and the fact that they're already winning.

But let's not forget he was 50/96-800-5 in 2012.
You mean in his rookie year?... With Brandon Weed as his QB?

Just curious, I didn't bother checking, but, what was his catch rate in two games with Hoyer last season?
50%

(14/28)

In order to be in the top 40 in the NFL in catch rate, you have to be above 70% for the season. He had one game last year where he was over 70%. And the Browns lost that game by 16 despite his TD in the final few minutes.

from mary kay cabot's twitter

#Brons Pettine on Gordon: "We'll have him on pitch count. There needs to be a progression throughout the week.'' not too much too soon

this guy has proven to be unpredictable with his RB's so far this year, he might be dumb enough to not have gordon ont he field the whole game

Pettine has never seen or coached anything like Gordon.

Wait until he creams his fruit of the looms... his tune will change

#Brons Pettine on Gordon: "We'll have him on pitch count. There needs to be a progression throughout the week.'' not too much too soon

this guy has proven to be unpredictable with his RB's so far this year, he might be dumb enough to not have gordon ont he field the whole game
ugh....that worries me. I was going to start him over Beckham (was a close decision for me) now I waffling a bit.

What a dumb *******.

If Pettine does that, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new coach in Cleveland next year. His coaching so far this year has already been suspect. Many poor calls with time management and mis-management of players. This team has talent and the GM/Owner should be able to recognize that a man who was given too much responsibility shouldn't be the leader of an entire team.

That said, as a Steelers fan I hope they keep Pettine since I think he's just holding a fairly talented team back. They really just need another WR, some O-line help, and a decent QB.

pettine makes them practice as if its a real game just like his daddy always did, then wonders why half the roster is on IR and the other half is tired on gameday. their best game this season was on a thursday that was mainly just walkthroughs leading up to it, not a coincidence.

What a dumb *******.
Ah, we'll see.

Last year Gordon hadn't taken a snap, hadn't gotten hit and he didn't even get to participate in training camp OR the preseason.

This year Gordon had the entire offseason, full training camp, AND preseason.

Last year without taking a single snap or taking a single hit in his first game back what sort of workload did he get?

Every single offensive snap which produced the following:

- 19 targets

- 10 receptions

- 146 receiving yards

- 1 receiving TD

PLUS

- 1 rushing attempt

- 22 rushing yards

If the game is close and he needs a big play do you HONESTLY think Pettine is going to sit this guy?

This is why the Browns are the the Browns and have never won anything in our lifetimes and probably never will.

last year doesnt matter, you can't use his first game back as a comp.... this coach has proven he'll pick his RB's on a whim from week to week.... and he's been consistent with that. he's saying pitch count... i dont think you can just brush that off.... he's pretty much done what he said he would do with the RB situation... why would you disregard what he says about gordon?

last year doesnt matter, you can't use his first game back as a comp.... this coach has proven he'll pick his RB's on a whim from week to week.... and he's been consistent with that. he's saying pitch count... i dont think you can just brush that off.... he's pretty much done what he said he would do with the RB situation... why would you disregard what he says about gordon?
because as good as crowell and/or wets might be, theyre on a totally different planet to Gordon

If gordon is capable to play a full count, he will play it.

If he isnt, well... then he wont.

By all accounts Ive heard from CLE, his conditioning is ridiculous - meaning, I think he slots right in and goes wild

I don't doubt what Pettine says but I do not doubt what Pettine would do when faced with the decision to play last year's NFL leading receiver if the game was tight just because he said that Josh was on a pitch count.

Also he has a stable of starting caliber running backs so the decision to mix and match his RBs doesn't matter to his decision to sit last year's NFL leading receiver and plug in Taylor Gabriel or Travis Benjamin or Miles Austin.

If the game is tight and Browns head coach Mike Pettine needs a big offensive play do you honestly think Pettine would sit WR Josh Gordon if the game is tight and he needs a big play just because he said he was on a pitch count? HONESTLY?

Everyone is focusing on his first sentence and not both sentences together. The last word is "week", not "year" or "month". lolz people.

Everyone is focusing on his first sentence and not both sentences together. The last word is "week", not "year" or "month". lolz people.
yep.

they'll see how he practices and his fitness levels are thru the week

if he's capable (and he will be) of a full compliment, that's exactly what he'll do

I don't want to turn this into an Assistant Coach post, but I'm leaning towards keeping him on the bench in 2 of 3 leagues due to strength at the position. Are guys benching other top 10 options to get this guy in their lineup?

No biggie but want to make a small correction with the above quote.

Just heard Pettine's press conference and Mary Kay's tweet is not an accurate quote, what Pettine actually said word-for-word is:

"We'll him on A BIT of a pitch count."

Pettine said it so I believe that he will have him on 'a bit' of a pitch count.

Anyone who wants to parse his words should pick apart what he actually said so just wanted to clean up the quote.

Josh Gordon told ex-Browns WR Nate Burleson that he plans to "tear this league up" upon his return from a 10-game suspension.

Whooo boy! Via Burleson, Gordon recently said, "I'm going to lose 10-15 pounds. When I come back, I'm going to tear this league up." Observers at Browns practice Wednesday said Gordon looked sharp running routes and in shape during the 15 or so minutes open to the media. The Browns have alluded to easing Gordon back into the picture, but Falcons coach Mike Smith isn't buying it. And neither are we. Cleveland is in the middle of a dogfight for a playoff spot. Gordon is an otherworldly talent. Expect him to be plugged in as the X receiver and start ripping cornerbacks to shreds. We're on board with firing Gordon up as an immediate WR1.

In addition to the pitch count statement, Pettine also referenced Gordon not being in "football shape". Not as a knock on Gordon, but just because he hasn't been taking any contact.

I'm expecting him to take a lower than normal snap count this week. Although, as mentioned, it only takes a couple of plays for Gordon to have a good fantasy day.

Users who are viewing this thread