What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (3 Viewers)

I said CAN meaning you can use the function that allows it. Our league had its 14 members vote on if it should be allowed.
Yes, exactly. Our MFL league has this setting turned on in the IR section:

Can a player be deactivated when he is listed as "Suspended"?Yes

that simple. So IR is a place to stash both hurt players and suspended ones. I doubt this setting being on is a rarity in MFL leagues since it must exist as an option for a reason. 

Last edited by a moderator:
IR rules are determined by leagues.  I'm curious how their league qualifies Gordon as an IR candidate.
Clearly because that's how their owners decided to do it, focusing on the Reserve function more that the Injured designation.  I"m in two leagues that do the same for suspended or retired players.

I finally sold Gordon. I held him for 2 years with 0 returns. It was finally time to free up that roster spot. Used him to move up in the rookie draft and gain another pick. Pretty crappy compared to previous years' value, but he may never play again.

I finally sold Gordon. I held him for 2 years with 0 returns. It was finally time to free up that roster spot. Used him to move up in the rookie draft and gain another pick. Pretty crappy compared to previous years' value, but he may never play again.
You got something for nothing. Show me the list of players who missed 2+ NFL seasons for non-injury and had a career. You'd have to go back to WW2 ....

steelers1080 said:
What was the actual trade?  Moved up from what pick to get what pick?  

tombonneau said:
You got something for nothing. Show me the list of players who missed 2+ NFL seasons for non-injury and had a career. You'd have to go back to WW2 ....
Ricky Williams essentially missed two seasons and came back to run for another 2k yards or so...to your point, chances are slim and none.  To my point, Gordon better be sure he is smoking exactly what Ricky was smoking...

Ricky Williams essentially missed two seasons and came back to run for another 2k yards or so...to your point, chances are slim and none.  To my point, Gordon better be sure he is smoking exactly what Ricky was smoking...
Ah ok well that is the one good counter. Though Ricky was self-selected retirement was he not? Anyway, I guess the precedent is there but Ricky had a much more extensive ouvre than JG

I would trade Gordon for a 6th for 5th rookie pick swap if someone would bite. We're only Keep 12 so they know I'll most likely drop him at cutdown time in August. 

I would trade Gordon for a 6th for 5th rookie pick swap if someone would bite. We're only Keep 12 so they know I'll most likely drop him at cutdown time in August. 
in a 12 man keeper league he's beyond worthless.  i guess in leagues with 24+ man rosters he might be worth a roster spot, but anything less he's a complete waste.

Josh Gordon - WR - Browns

Speaking Thursday, commissioner Roger Goodell said reinstating suspended Browns WR Josh Gordon is "not under active consideration."

"At least hasn't made it to my desk," Goodell clarified. Gordon's most recent petition for reinstatement was denied in May. He can apply again in September. 2017 would be Gordon's age-26 season. He hasn't appeared in a regular season game since Dec. 2014.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Aug 17 - 1:22 PM

Would anyone in Dynasty even use a roster spot for this guy at this point?  I know the answer is yes because some are in leagues I am in, but if you would, what is the most you would pay for him (besides the roster spot cost)?  a 3rd or 4th round rookie pick?  I wouldn't use a roster spot in "normal" roster leagues (20-25), so I would pay nothing.  In a very large roster league I would use a roster spot but can't imagine paying more than a future 4th.
I finally let go after the most recent suspension.  I traded him and pick 16 for pick 9 in our rookie draft.  Ended up getting OJ Howard (pick 16 was Chris Godwin). Pretty happy with how it turned out.

Would anyone in Dynasty even use a roster spot for this guy at this point?  I know the answer is yes because some are in leagues I am in, but if you would, what is the most you would pay for him (besides the roster spot cost)?  a 3rd or 4th round rookie pick?  I wouldn't use a roster spot in "normal" roster leagues (20-25), so I would pay nothing.  In a very large roster league I would use a roster spot but can't imagine paying more than a future 4th.
In season we have 30 man rosters.  Offseason its 35 until the draft, then up to as many draft picks you make, then back to 35 on Aug 1....

So I've had him sitting on my roster for almost a year.  Gave up a 4th hoping he came back last season.  Rebuilding team.  Looks like Sept 5th he may be eligible for reinstatement.  Cut down day is by the First game on Sept 7th.  Depending on the ruling he could be getting the boot. Dont think anyone gives up anything less then free for him now.  Even in larger leagues, unless rumors of reinstatement start to pop up.  

I own him. We have 2 IR/Suspended spots so he's ready to stash for now. If also pick him up to stash if he was a FA, but I wouldn't give up a pick or any player that wasn't already going to get cut.

According to Bleacher Report's Jason Cole, suspended Browns WR Josh Gordon went to rehab two months ago.

Gordon's last reinstatement bid was denied but he's hoping his stint in rehab will win over Roger Goodell. Per Cole, Gordon is hoping to be reinstated by late September. Fantasy owners obviously can't count on that, but it does make Gordon an interesting stash at the end of drafts. The once-dominant 26-year-old hasn't played an NFL down since 2014.

Source: Jason Cole on Twitter 

Aug 25 - 4:45 PM

For at least this year Gordon is not really going to play. He can apply for reinstatement after week 4 or 5 whichever then the NFL spends its usual time  So say week 6-7 they say Ok . Then Brown who said he will not play for them need to try to trade him , then he needs to get into shape then learn the offense. I can see him getting reinstated mid season , Brown trading him after the season and next year getting a shot but what will he bee by then not haveing played in what 4 years and hes 4 years older. And at the same time he cant seem to avoid trouble , I personally like the player and wish he played again but doiubt we ever see the Gordon from 2014 ever again if any version of him but I wish him luck.

According to Bleacher Report's Jason Cole, suspended Browns WR Josh Gordon went to rehab two months ago.

Gordon's last reinstatement bid was denied but he's hoping his stint in rehab will win over Roger Goodell. Per Cole, Gordon is hoping to be reinstated by late September. Fantasy owners obviously can't count on that, but it does make Gordon an interesting stash at the end of drafts. The once-dominant 26-year-old hasn't played an NFL down since 2014.

Source: Jason Cole on Twitter 

Aug 25 - 4:45 PM
Interesting spin.  Gordon back in rehab two months ago is a concern, in my estimation. He has steered clear of trouble during his latest absence, but a return to rehab signals to me Gordon still hasn't got himself clean. Too bad. 

That is too bad if that was the case. He is a natural on the field and with some work could have had a heck of a career. He sure would be fun to watch with Mahomes next year in KC. One can dream...

Interesting spin.  Gordon back in rehab two months ago is a concern, in my estimation. He has steered clear of trouble during his latest absence, but a return to rehab signals to me Gordon still hasn't got himself clean. Too bad. 
prob depends if he went to rehab to avoid a relapse (violation), or because of a relapse.  

chad in Indy said:
prob depends if he went to rehab to avoid a relapse (violation), or because of a relapse.  
he posted a pic 2-3 days ago of all his multiple "sobriety tags" from AA or NA, or whatever he's been in.

So probably to avoid a relapse, if Im guessing based off that photo

I know any talk of Josh Gordon is beating a dead horse, but according to this report Gordon is in great shape and hoping to be re-instated for the Colts game on 9/24. I found this quote from Gordon pretty interesting  "I'm in great shape and ready to play and I have been told I will be reinstated for the Colts game” if this quote is to be believed it sounds like  a forgone conclusion that Gordon will be back sooner than later...Take it for what it’s worth (and don’t kill the messenger) but if a motivated and in shape Gordon were to return he could be a season changer for anyone who could grab him.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2017/9/4/16251476/lets-talk-more-about-this-josh-gordon-rumor

I know any talk of Josh Gordon is beating a dead horse, but according to this report Gordon is in great shape and hoping to be re-instated for the Colts game on 9/24. I found this quote from Gordon pretty interesting  "I'm in great shape and ready to play and I have been told I will be reinstated for the Colts game” if this quote is to be believed it sounds like  a forgone conclusion that Gordon will be back sooner than later...Take it for what it’s worth (and don’t kill the messenger) but if a motivated and in shape Gordon were to return he could be a season changer for anyone who could grab him.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2017/9/4/16251476/lets-talk-more-about-this-josh-gordon-rumor

I might have been the biggest Gordon fan around at one time.

But the situation is extremely different now. When he was exploding, they didn't have virtually any talent there at WR, other than bit players.

Now they have Corey Coleman, Kenny Britt (yeah I know) and the team seems to be moving on forward in a positive light.

Even if he was reinstated a MONTH AGO to prepare with the team for the coming season, there is just no way he would post the same numbers he did his breakout year.

If he were to go to a WR needy team, then he would be mildly interesting in a WR3 kind of way with upside, but if he sticks with Cleveland, I just don't see any way he is anywhere near as fantasy relevant as what he was.

TZM

I dropped Perine for Gordon during the first waiver run after our draft. I don't have high hopes that this will work out well but 1) he almost dragged my team to a title during his breakout year awhile back and 2) My main FF nemesis and I keep switching picking him up every year and stashing in the hopes of the "lotto payoff" and I'll be damned if I'm gonna let him cash in before me even if it's only a 1% chance. 

I understand where TZM is coming from but I think the talent and naturally ability will shine though and WR competition will just take defensive attention away from him on the field. If he can actually be reinstated and get his act together I think he'll be a valuable stash for the midseason push. 

I might have been the biggest Gordon fan around at one time.

But the situation is extremely different now. When he was exploding, they didn't have virtually any talent there at WR, other than bit players.

Now they have Corey Coleman, Kenny Britt (yeah I know) and the team seems to be moving on forward in a positive light.

Even if he was reinstated a MONTH AGO to prepare with the team for the coming season, there is just no way he would post the same numbers he did his breakout year.

If he were to go to a WR needy team, then he would be mildly interesting in a WR3 kind of way with upside, but if he sticks with Cleveland, I just don't see any way he is anywhere near as fantasy relevant as what he was.

TZM
You bring up some absolutely valid points. Coleman and Britt are solid options and the team does seem to be “moving on in a positive light” on the other hand, 26 year olds with the proven talent to be superstars don’t just go on trees.

If this report is true, I do think it’s  in everyone’s best interest to hold onto Gordon for a couple more weeks and see how this plays out. Maybe he’s not a good fit with the Browns given their understandably difficult history with the player...That said, I don’t want to be the guy who drops Gordon and the Browns turn around and trade him to the Patriots for a 5th rnd pick + Gordon goes on to put up Randy Moss type numbers...I know, it’s highly unlikely, but Gordon is a special player and it’s not like he killed anyone. There are guys currently playing in the NFL who have done far worse than he did.

Bottom line: If you have the roster space I think it’s worth holding onto Gordon for a couple more weeks. 

I've held Gordon since drafting him in the second round. If he comes back he's immediately the most talented guy on the Browns. Hopefully he gets traded and he'll probably be the most talented there too.

I've held Gordon since drafting him in the second round. If he comes back he's immediately the most talented guy on the Browns. Hopefully he gets traded and he'll probably be the most talented there too.
Given the lengthy layoff, he might not be the most talented guy in his family at this point. 

Can we finally lock this thing - it was kind of funny awhile back, now it's just sad.

Here's a fun idea. 

If he's reinstated for week 3, and begins playing right away. I guarantee 1000yds

If not, I leave. For good. THAT confident, considering I kno a lil sumthin

For Gordon to be relevant this year, he has to a) be reinstated, b) get traded or released (I believe them when the Browns say they are done with him), and c) integrate with a new team/offense/playbook/quarterback.  All could happen, but each one is a hurdle.

I think I'll stick with a RB lotto ticket for my last roster spot.  There are a lot of tasty ones this year (Carson, Brieda, Connor, Foreman, West etc.).

The last time he came back from a huge layoff last preseason he looked like the same dominant Josh Gordon and I believe he was going against 1s. People are drafting Marshawn Lynch in the 2nd round of redraft after a year off and recent injuries at age 31. If reinstated Gordon will be valuable. Hold/buy for cheap is the move 

I have Gordon on a lot of my dynasty teams and was tempted to cut him when I had to get to roster size (pretty large rosters) but I decided to hold him a little longer because I thought he could ask for reinstatement here again in September. If he fails to get reinstated I might be done with him. If he does get reinstated I don't know how likely it is that he plays in Cleveland.  I think they might try to trade him or just cut him. This is the team that recently waived Joe Haden so I think there is a solid chance he gets released and becomes a free agent IF he gets reinstated.

Given the lengthy layoff, he might not be the most talented guy in his family at this point. 

Can we finally lock this thing - it was kind of funny awhile back, now it's just sad.
It's sad but if you have a roster spot why not just hold him? One guy lasts on most benches all year without a start. 

Users who are viewing this thread