Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Matt Waldman

Josh Gordon Everything Thread

18 hours ago, massraider said:

I don't think CLE has a top 15 anything.

Crippling depression?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hankmoody said:

And BB isn't under any extra public scrutiny or anything.

It's irrelevant - it's the era in which he's coaching. 

I actually did not comment on whether or not the Pats would pick him up provided he avoids jail time or other off-field shenanigans and successfully rehabs for drugs/alcoholol/midget pron/etc. For what it's worth, I think he's exactly the type of reclamation project that the Pats would take a chance on. 

Hell, I hope my Niners take a chance on him if he is successfully rehabilitated and gets his life together - they sure could use a talent like that. He is only 26 years old, and with very low mileage, in football terms. 

But this isn't really what I was posting about - just making an observation that if this were 1977 we wouldn't know anything about Gordon's off-field issues because he never would have been suspended for pot or alcohol, we wouldn't know anything about his baby mamma, and as a result he wouldn't be at all likely to be checking into rehab. 

It was a different world then - that's all I'm saying. 

This guy could've been AJ Green except better.

2 minutes ago, dickey moe said:

This guy could've been AJ Green except better.

Could've been? Still could be...

33 minutes ago, Timmay said:

This is just a ploy to not have to play in Cleveland. He is going to get cut, picked up by the Patriots and go on to have a few solid years.

I can't believe nobody else thought of that

1 hour ago, DansRams said:

Lol...You may need to cut back on the steroid use big guy

Just stating facts... the steroid accusation is nice though. My wife probably wishes hahahahaha

11 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

It was a different world then - that's all I'm saying. 

:doh:

You don't think BB has adapted to this different world?

SERIOUS Q: If ASJ was cut for a DUI and picked up by NYJ, why couldn't Gordon get cut by CLE for drug usage and picked up by any other team who wants him?

If ASJ is gonna play despite his infraction, why couldn't JG?

6 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

:doh:

You don't think BB has adapted to this different world?

What?

i didn't say that either. Yes, BB has adapted to this different world. But only one of us is talking about BB. You. In relation to BB, the point was made about other troubled players he's taken on and I am in agreement he may pursue Gordon IF he gets his life together. 

With that post I was not making a point about BB, i was making a point about Josh Gordon. You know, that guy who this topic is about. :rolleyes:

You seem to be intent on making a point for me that I'm not making, so I'll just leave you be to post back and forth to yourself. 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy

5 minutes ago, ATB said:

SERIOUS Q: If ASJ was cut for a DUI and picked up by NYJ, why couldn't Gordon get cut by CLE for drug usage and picked up by any other team who wants him?

ASJ is still facing a suspension from what I read the other day.

Gordon is also facing being banned from the league on his last strike.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ATB said:

Because ASJ doesn't have the same history. In theory, ASJ could be suspended by the NFL for his DUI - I'm not sure if that has yet been determined. Josh Gordon was suspended for a year for substance abuse, then came back and was suspended again for 4 games this year. And now he's checked himself into a rehab facility. 

In theory, Gordon could get out of rehab, and get picked up by an NFL team - but in reality he'll likely be in treatment for months, since that's typically how it works. 

Moreover, it is probable that those in here speculating are correct - he likely would have failed a drug test (which seems obvious since he checked himself into rehab) so in order to avoid testing positive he took this route. Which may leave the door open for coming back to another team next season, IF he didn't already fail a test that we don't know about. But this entire last paragraph is speculation. 

1 minute ago, OU#1 said:

Only if he has a positive drug test, which we don't know yet. It's certainly possible he did this to dodge a drug test...

Hasn't ASJ had multiple infractions as well?

2 minutes ago, OU#1 said:

That was also my understanding - players can play while their cases are reviewed by the league, but a suspension could be handed down at any time. 

Bingo. Dunno if rehab wa a way to avoid a positive test, or if he had a positive test and rehab is a last ditch effort to show Goodell he's changed. 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy

1 minute ago, ATB said:

I read something along the lines of ASJ having some past history in college with a lot of alcohol related issues, but nothing that would warrant suspension in the NFL (besides the recent DUI).

Is there ANY hope Gordon plays this year before I put him on IR and lock him out of my active roster for the season?  Waivers running tonight...would be nice to get some official news on this!

2 minutes ago, OU#1 said:

Is there ANY hope Gordon plays this year before I put him on IR and lock him out of my active roster for the season?  Waivers running tonight...would be nice to get some official news on this!

I'd say there's a 1% chance. 

"so you're saying there's a chance?"

lol - I'd IR him. Sure, it's possible he finishes up his rehab stint and some team takes him on, provided there's no news about a drug-related suspension coming down. 

Seems like a lot of bullets to dodge, and this is Josh Gordon, master of not dodging bullets. But there's nothing official about him being done for the year except Rotoworld who calls this "the end of his career" and the Browns who sound like they're washing their hands of him. 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy

38 minutes ago, ATB said:

Only if he has a positive drug test, which we don't know yet. It's certainly possible he did this to dodge a drug test...

I cant imagine that checking into rehab absolves him from taking a drug test for the nfl.

1 hour ago, whiskey7 said:

Gordon doesn't get a pass because some player in the past partied and got away with it. Gordon knows he's breaking the rules.

I agree. I never said he should get a pass. Just pointing out how times have changed, and pretty rapidly the last 5 years or so. 

17 minutes ago, cvnpoka said:

I cant imagine that checking into rehab absolves him from taking a drug test for the nfl.

I think it might. If he's in rehab, he's not playing for the Browns. If the Browns have released him, he's not employed by the NFL. They can't force him to pee in a cup if he's not an employee of the league. 

As a Browns fan, it'd piss me off if he gets out in like 2-3 weeks and joins another team

As a Gordon fan, I'll be thrilled to see him back on the field. 

As a human, I just hope he gets well. 

• Like 5

Glad to hear your doing alright Soul.

On the bright side Coleman once healthy should be able to get on the field and Pryor is doing well.

Stay gold.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, spider321 said:

There is zero possibility that your secondary theory makes any sense, at all. 

None.

Happy?

Well if there  is a 500% chance he failed a test the of course that leaves zero possibility.

59 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

As a Browns fan, it'd piss me off if he gets out in like 2-3 weeks and joins another team

As a Gordon fan, I'll be thrilled to see him back on the field. 

As a human, I just hope he gets well. 

Most people don't get out of inpatient rehab that quickly. Usually a 6-10 week program. 

I (sadly) know a couple of people who have had to do it. 

The detox process usually takes seven to 10 days. Rehab programs, however, usually last a minimum of 30 to 45 days. Some clients benefit from 60- or 90-day stays at residential or inpatient treatment centers.

He's not going to get out in 3 weeks and suit up for the Patriots. Relax. 

11 minutes ago, Phenomena said:

Is anyone dropping Gordon after this news or is there any hope he plays this year for another team?

Done - yesterday - dropped. 

1 hour ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I think it might. If he's in rehab, he's not playing for the Browns. If the Browns have released him, he's not employed by the NFL. They can't force him to pee in a cup if he's not an employee of the league. 

Manziel wasn't on a team and got suspended. 

Just now, Anarchy99 said:

Oh - good point. I did not know that. I thought he just committed career suicide. 

31 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Wasn't that for public behavior that affected the NFL's image though?

7 hours ago, Dismattle said:

Im bustin on Clevelands misfortune of having a lack of skilled players

They finally get one (maybe a couple) and wanna get rid of him?

Least it wasnt their first ever QB in decades

What color is the air on your planet?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, whiskey7 said:

I don't see any chance BB allows a guy with Gordon's well documented history of trouble (not to mention being a known associate of Manziel) near his locker room. Not gonna happen.

I'd go further to say (after the Browns cut him) its an extreme longshot Gordon is on any NFL roster any time soon (if ever again). I am sure Rog told Gordon he didn't have to let him back in but was going to because he believed in him. I am sure he told him don't #### this up and make an ### out of me. Gordon just made Rog look like a ####### ### and I am sure Rog is none too happy about it.

I dunno... if Josh where a white, more quick than fast WR, I could see a real fit in NE.

11 hours ago, Dismattle said:

I came in here to check for whose optimistically looking forward to starting next week..

Do we have a best case scenario, besides a clean bill of health in 30 days?

I mean even if the Browns cut him, he should be picked up by someone right?

There should still be half a Season of ball to play.. No?

I know some drama folks, and other challenged people have posted..

But my earlier post still seems unanswered?

I know Browns fans are anxious too see him go, and redrafts could care less about this rehab business.

But theres gotta be a real fan who has some expectations for Gordon playing in X amt of days?  No

11 minutes ago, Donnybrook said:

Jerrah's minnions will be waiting outside Josh Gordon's rehab centre on the day he is released. 

I'm pretty sure it will just be soulfly with a 6-er of Old Milwaukee and a giant foam finger with "CLE #1!" on it, wearing nothing but a Josh Gordon jersey, black socks and sandals.

not that there's anything wrong with that...

;) 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, whiskey7 said:

All of those guys had their warts but none of them was in Gordon's class in terms of repeated stupidity/trouble when BB took them in.

I agree  that BB is willing to sign players with some history of violence.  Josh Gordon wouldn't fit in his prestigious locker room.  

Edited by Donnybrook

I dropped him.  Shame on me situation in that I had to (again).  Writing was in the wall if you weren't blind to see it (hanging out with Manziel???? - duh).

I don't see a team picking him up until 2017 and there will need to be a huge amount of due diligence done.  But he's young and quite frankly, he's a guy who could use a fresh start.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him turn up in SF assuming Chip Kelly is still the coach.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Most people don't get out of inpatient rehab that quickly. Usually a 6-10 week program. 

I (sadly) know a couple of people who have had to do it. 

He's not going to get out in 3 weeks and suit up for the Patriots. Relax. 

You're assuming he stays for the entire program.  Unless this really is the result of some kind of secret deal with the authorities (either police or NFL), I don't think that's a safe assumption for Gordon.  He's just as likely to decide he feels great after 10 days and walk out the door no matter what the people treating him say.

In dynasty, I'll hold Gordon as long as I can.  I have a bench of 8. If I have to drop someone then it probably will be him.  The talent is there.  In some ways this is better than an ACL tear, in other ways it's not.  Either way don't let emotions get in the way of making your decisions. It's easy to just want to cut him and move on but is that the right answer? Only if he never plays again. I don't think we're there yet.

Edited by Gandalf

36 minutes ago, apalmer said:

Unless this really is the result of some kind of secret deal with the authorities (either police or NFL), I don't think that's a safe assumption for Gordon.  He's just as likely to decide he feels great after 10 days and walk out the door no matter what the people treating him say.

And if he does that no team will touch him.

also, "secret deal with the police"? C'mon, man. :lmao:

Have it on good authority he entered completely voluntarily, not even Rosenhaus knew ahead of time. 

Hope that's true.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

Have it on good authority he entered completely voluntarily, not even Rosenhaus knew ahead of time. 

Hope that's true.

You can't possibly look any worse through this entire thing can you?  Well, I guess you can and are going to.

Soulglo will continue to entertain us all until Gordon is 50 years old.  Thread will be 4 trillion pages of hopes and dreams

On 5/28/2014 at 5:27 PM, Coeur de Lion said:

Staying clean is obviously a HUGE problem for Gordon, and he's going to be tested non-stop moving forward. Each time he pees hot the year resets. Why do you think Jacksonville cleaned out Justin Blackmon's locker?

Turns out CDL won the thread. There's the timestamp.

This is on the Browns. As long as the Browns kept up hope we the fans and FFers could believe that he could come back. But he was never coming back, not really.

Compare what the Browns did to what the Jags did with Blackmon. A difference here might be Hue Jackson, he's not putting up with this keeping 'one toe in' business. If I was a Browns fan I would take this is a positive sign of getting away from dysfunctionalism.

It's over.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

17 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

You can't possibly look any worse through this entire thing can you?  Well, I guess you can and are going to.

Soulglo will continue to entertain us all until Gordon is 50 years old.  Thread will be 4 trillion pages of hopes and dreams

???

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is josh gordon not still eligible to play in week 5? do you have a source that states otherwise?

12 hours ago, Dismattle said:

But theres gotta be a real fan who has some expectations for Gordon playing in X amt of days?  No

The best case "realistic" scenario for Gordon playing again is 330 days.  Too many things would have to break his way to see him on the field in 2016.  IF he gets his act together.  IF the league allows it.  IF some team is willing to take that risk.

The more likely scenario is that he is done.

Gordon has had all the motivation and support to get his life together already.  Football (and his livelihood) isn't as important to him as getting stoned.   Maybe that changes someday but, by then, his physical skills will have likely eroded. 

I wouldn't believe anything out of his mouth and would expect no more from NFL execs.

16 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

???

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is josh gordon not still eligible to play in week 5? do you have a source that states otherwise?

Technically, I'm eligible to play too...  What's your point?

• Like 1