Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Matt Waldman

Josh Gordon Everything Thread

Just now, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I didn't see anything from sporting news. Just that shady AF bleacher report dude saying "better than 50-50" with nothing in the article to substantiate that sentiment. 

The Sporting News article was the quote from Montgomery, Gordon's life coach/trainer from Sept 13th that rekindled all this nonsense, saying he'd reapply.

It wasn't a reporter - just a comment from that dude. And there has been none comment from Gordon, Montgomery, the NFL or Gordon's agent since.

This tweet below is the source of the BR article. Eric Galko writes for Sporting News. I don't follow Galko or now how accurate he is but that tweet really tells no one anything, nor does he BR article.

Eric Galko‏Verified account @OptimumScouting Sep 20

NFL source believes it's "better than 50/50" Josh Gordon gets reinstated this year. Still far from a lock. We could learn more this week.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, menobrown said:

This tweet below is the source of the BR article. Eric Galko writes for Sporting News. I don't follow Galko or now how accurate he is but that tweet really tells no one anything, nor does he BR article.

NFL source believes it's "better than 50/50" Josh Gordon gets reinstated this year. Still far from a lock. We could learn more this week.

Exactly. 

I read the article and was like "ok, so why is it better than 50-50?"

total clickbait. 

The NFL will either entertain reinstatement or flat out deny it very soon. There is no benefit to them dragging their feet. It's a mild infraction in today's world and if he really did complete rehab, is in a good place and in great shape then there is no reason to keep a man down. If he's failed a recent test than there's no reason to believe he'll ever get it. I'm fairly certain a decision will come down within a week.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chaka said:

I am pretty sure you have among the top 10 post counts in this thread over the last couple months. Seems odd considering how much you hate seeing it on the first page when there is no news to report.

I SAID PLEASE CONTINUE 

5 minutes ago, menobrown said:

Thanks, yes he writes for SN, and then he went on to say there is no timetable.

I agree with Hot Sauce above, I just want to firm up that Galko does write for SN. I think this is the only report from a reporter and it's not so much a report as an unsourced rumor, albeit supposedly from the NFL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Thanks, yes he writes for SN, and then he went on to say there is no timetable.

I agree with Hot Sauce above, I just want to firm up that Galko does write for SN. I think this is the only report from a reporter and it's not so much a report as an unsourced rumor, albeit supposedly from the NFL.

He has a verified twitter account and his bio does state he owns Optimum Scouting and that he is a NFL/CFB writer at the SN so that part seems to check out.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Slider said:

The NFL will either entertain reinstatement or flat out deny it very soon. There is no benefit to them dragging their feet. It's a mild infraction in today's world and if he really did complete rehab, is in a good place and in great shape then there is no reason to keep a man down. If he's failed a recent test than there's no reason to believe he'll ever get it. I'm fairly certain a decision will come down within a week.

That's how I feel. I think the owners are trying to present a more just appearing discipline that Goodell had offered before. Gordon entered rehab on Thurs Sept 29 2016, with my guess being that he missed the drug test between September 26th and 28th come up and those would be his potential reactivation dates, at least one year out of the league. It wouldn't be surprising if the NFL reinstated him to practice with the team for several weeks before permitting him to play. An application for reinstatement date of September 21st would work nicely for a potential reactivation one week later on the 28th

34 minutes ago, Slider said:

I don't understand why after 400 pages so many are misunderstanding why Josh Gordon is actually suspended indefinitely.

it is not for a "Mild infraction" of smoking pot.

its for repeat violations of the NFL drug policy, and repeatedly violating the terms of his conditional suspensions. 

Being a repeat violator is why he is suspended, not pot or booze. 

34 minutes ago, Slider said:

I like how you say "dragging their feet" which implies some sort of action. lol

The benefit is they can ignore it completely for as long as they want and focus on league business instead.

which is more effort, doing nothing or doing something? Pretty sure it's doing nothing, which is exactly what I'm expecting the NFL to do until they absolutely have to. 

3 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I like how you say "dragging their feet" which implies some sort of action. lol

The benefit is they can ignore it completely for as long as they want and focus on league business instead.

which is more effort, doing nothing or doing something? Pretty sure it's doing nothing, which is exactly what I'm expecting the NFL to do until they absolutely have to. 

There's a ton of people out there who read that he went to rehab, wants back in and is in phenomenal shape. I don't know how true it is but with the thousands of people that are whining about Kaepernick not getting a shot, I'm guessing the league doesn't want another issue to defend. There's no downside to them giving him a shot. He fails a test and he's out for good. He does well and they look great for giving him a shot. They do nothing and the people that see it as the NFL oppressing him will have a forum. The NFL doesn't want that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Slider said:

There's a ton of people out there who read that he went to rehab, wants back in and is in phenomenal shape. 

Phenomenal NFL football shape? How does one do that, be in rehab and prepare for an NFL season? - Does anyone know if Gordon has been at the training facility in general or has he been locked out? When was the last time he trained with the team? Because the way I remember the last time he came back he was winded and running wrong patterns.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Slider said:

There's a ton of people out there who read that he went to rehab, wants back in and is in phenomenal shape. I don't know how true it is but with the thousands of people that are whining about Kaepernick not getting a shot, I'm guessing the league doesn't want another issue to defend. There's no downside to them giving him a shot. He fails a test and he's out for good. He does well and they look great for giving him a shot. They do nothing and the people that see it as the NFL oppressing him will have a forum. The NFL doesn't want that.

I have been following this as closely as anyone and haven't seen anything to indicate "phenominal shape". 

He's reportedly sober, and according to his life coach/trainer, he's ready to reapply. 

To date, that's the most we know, and it's hardly from an unbiased source.

also, he had to go back to rehab. Why? That seems important. Did he relapse since last September when he missed a test & went to rehab? We don't know. They haven't said. 

Theres no reason for the NFL to do anything here. And so far, nothing is what they've done. And when asked directly a week ago, they said Gordon hasn't made it to Goodell's desk.

no update since. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I have been following this as closely as anyone and haven't seen anything to indicate "phenominal shape". 

He's reportedly sober, and according to his life coach/trainer, he's ready to reapply. 

To date, that's the most we know, and it's hardly from an unbiased source.

also, he had to go back to rehab. Why? That seems important. Did he relapse since last September when he missed a test & went to rehab? We don't know. They haven't said. 

Theres no reason for the NFL to do anything here. And so far, nothing is what they've done. And when asked directly a week ago, they said Gordon hasn't made it to Goodell's desk.

no update since. 

I agree with most of what you are saying, but it’s most likely he went to rehab on the advice of council. It would look good in the NFL’s eyes if JG was proactive before any serious bid at being re-instated.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Saboo said:

I agree with most of what you are saying, but it’s most likely he went to rehab on the advice of council. It would look good in the NFL’s eyes if JG was proactive before any serious bid at being re-instated.

I agree - as the attorney who chimed in said, lawyers always advise clients to do this.

but the thing is, he already went to rehab. And if he'd stayed clean for a year, why would his atty advise him to go to rehab *again*? 

Seems like maybe we collectively missed something - like maybe he wasn't clean so had to go back and establish that good look. 

Dunno, but it's a little weird. 

25 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I agree - as the attorney who chimed in said, lawyers always advise clients to do this.

but the thing is, he already went to rehab. And if he'd stayed clean for a year, why would his atty advise him to go to rehab *again*? 

Seems like maybe we collectively missed something - like maybe he wasn't clean so had to go back and establish that good look. 

Dunno, but it's a little weird. 

Yeah it’s weird. And by weird I mean he probably relapsed. The NFL would be monitoring him with random drug and alcohol screens. Likely weekly and sometimes twice a week. So Gordon would not need to go to rehab so it looked good to the league.

Edited by Gandalf
  • Like 1

And the most telling thing is that we all were eagerly anticipating the September 21st date when he was to leave rehab.  Shouldn't have there been a little blip of news?  Wouldn't he have snapchatted or instagrammed that he was out?  Shouldn't there have been some announcement that he has filed for reinstatement (and by announcement I mean from a credible source, not just some yahoo on twitter who wants to up his follows)?

Yet...Nothing.  That tells me he is likely still in rehab because he probably isn't clean.  I know I may be jumping to conclusions there.  But what's the alternative?  He got out of rehab under cover of darkness at 2 AM wearing a hoodie, he's holed up with his agent (who we still don't know who that is) and lawyer in some undisclosed location, and they've secretly filed the reinstatement paperwork yet nobody in the league office feels that is news to broadcast, and all of a sudden they're going to say - Surprise! - Gordon is reinstated?  Me thinks not.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, greyhorse said:

And the most telling thing is that we all were eagerly anticipating the September 21st date when he was to leave rehab.  Shouldn't have there been a little blip of news?  Wouldn't he have snapchatted or instagrammed that he was out?  Shouldn't there have been some announcement that he has filed for reinstatement (and by announcement I mean from a credible source, not just some yahoo on twitter who wants to up his follows)?

Yet...Nothing.  That tells me he is likely still in rehab because he probably isn't clean.  I know I may be jumping to conclusions there.  But what's the alternative?  He got out of rehab under cover of darkness at 2 AM wearing a hoodie, he's holed up with his agent (who we still don't know who that is) and lawyer in some undisclosed location, and they've secretly filed the reinstatement paperwork yet nobody in the league office feels that is news to broadcast, and all of a sudden they're going to say - Surprise! - Gordon is reinstated?  Me thinks not.

To be fair that would be pretty sweet though. They just totally Ninja it. Tomorrow comes and Gordon is in the starting lineup for the Browns, goes 7/174/2. :) 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, greyhorse said:

If he was out TMZ would've been all over it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, knowledge dropper said:

If he was out TMZ would've been all over it.  

:shrug: TMZ missed him being out 3 weeks ago when he chatted with the guy who posted on the Browns fan forum about how Gordon expected to be reinstated in time for today's game. Oh, wait, wasn't he still supposed to be locked down in rehab then? Maybe that's why there hasn't been an announcement about his successful completion of the program.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, apalmer said:

:shrug: TMZ missed him being out 3 weeks ago when he chatted with the guy who posted on the Browns fan forum about how Gordon expected to be reinstated in time for today's game. Oh, wait, wasn't he still supposed to be locked down in rehab then? Maybe that's why there hasn't been an announcement about his successful completion of the program.

That is exactly what I thought.  How did that guy chat with her person to person when Josh was supposed to be in rehab.  If this conversation did happen he would have mentioned that he went to his rehab center for this discussion to take place.  I see no benefit of leaving this out of the conversation as that would a perfect time to mention how clean Josh is this time.

15 hours ago, Slider said:

There's no downside to them giving him a shot.

Of course there is a downside for the NFL.

Imagine this headline "NFL enabled recidivist drug user kills family of four in DUI collision"

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Chaka said:

Imagine this headline "NFL enabled recidivist drug user kills family of four in DUI collision"

The NFL didn't give him a license, just the ability to play in a game. Unless of course the family of four runs on the field and he's full speed at the 5 and......

Just now, Slider said:

The NFL didn't give him a license, just the ability to play in a game. Unless of course the family of four runs on the field and he's full speed at the 5 and......

Since when does rational thought impact a salacious click-bait generating headline?

Right, wrong or otherwise that story would absolutely draw the NFL through the mud, there is no question about it. The NFL will absolutely take that possibility into account in making a decision on Gordon.

23 minutes ago, Chaka said:

Since when does rational thought impact a salacious click-bait generating headline?

Right, wrong or otherwise that story would absolutely draw the NFL through the mud, there is no question about it. The NFL will absolutely take that possibility into account in making a decision on Gordon.

What? You better go find Khan and think this through a little better. ?

6 minutes ago, Slider said:

What? You better go find Khan and think this through a little better. ?

I am not sure what you mean by that but I think you're being naive and maybe letting your fantasy football hopes jade your view.

Why would the NFL P.R. machine not be concerned with allowing a recidivist offender back in the league?

Where are you from? You've never heard of Chaka Khan and you know of no recovered addicts that get more acclaim than those that never had an addiction?

1 hour ago, Chaka said:

Oh stop. 

4 minutes ago, matuski said:

Oh stop. 

Stop what? I don't think that will happen, but it is foolish to think the NFL won't consider those type of negative outcomes when deciding whether or not to allow Gordon back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaka said:

I'm sensing some downside in that scenario. hmmmm

8 minutes ago, Chaka said:

Stop what? I don't think that will happen, but it is foolish to think the NFL won't consider those type of negative outcomes when deciding whether or not to allow Gordon back.

Well then they should also move teams off the West Coast and Southeast US because you know a missile or hurricane could hit some day. ?

On 9/24/2017 at 7:44 AM, Slider said:

Well then they should also move teams off the West Coast and Southeast US because you know a missile or hurricane could hit some day. ?

Pretty sure the NFL didn't give the ok for missiles or hurricanes to hang out in those areas though. That's a bit different & your logic here doesn't apply.

@Chaka is spot on - it's not whether the NFL is actually responsible for Gordon's actions if the worst case scenario happens, but the NFL's PR/Legal depts are notoriously conservative.

they will *always* consider worst case scenario when it comes to repeat drug offenders and allowing them back in. And they were (rightfully) skewered over the initial handing of Ray Rice, and later the lax approach to the NYG kicker. 

So as others have suggested, I believe the NFL will exercise caution in considering reinstatement. If it could be bad for the shield, there's a downside. 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy
typos

14 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Pretty sure the NFL didn't give the ok for mission or hurricane to hang out in those areas though. That's a bit different & your logic here doesn't apply.

@Chaka is spot on - it's not whether the NFL is actually responsible for Gordon's actions if the worst case scenario happens, but the NFL's PR/Legal depts are notoriously conservative.

they will *always* consider worst case scenario when it comes to repeat drug offenders and allowing them back in. And they were (rightfully) skewered over the initial handing of Ray Rice, and later the lax approach to the NYG kicker. 

So as others have suggested, I believe the NFL will exercise caution in considering reinstatement. If it could be bad for the shield, there's a downside. 

Did this start after Leonard Little retired?

6 minutes ago, Slider said:

Did this start after Leonard Little retired?

Probably. 

^^^^ Is that like the excited parent that sees their baby fart for the first time?

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:57 AM, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Pretty sure the NFL didn't give the ok for mission or hurricane to hang out in those areas though. That's a bit different & your logic here doesn't apply.

It continues to amaze me how many folks "know stuff" about the inner workings of the NFL.

Keep up the Good work! :thumbup:

12 minutes ago, dagwood said:

It continues to amaze me how many folks "know stuff" about the inner workings of the NFL.

Watch the game for a while, the clues are there.

i won't claim to be a fly on the wall in the NFL offices, but from a couple decades in IT & health care I "know stuff" about corporate attorneys and how they look at things. 

But by all means, continue to flippantly disregard the insight of people who may have worked in sensitive corporate environments & might "know stuff".

Not the choice I'd make, but hey; you do you. ;) 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, dagwood said:

It continues to amaze me how many folks, on many sides, "know stuff" about the inner workings of the NFL.

• Like 1

Who here has sworn off picking up this guy again yet once again finds themselves putting in a claim on this week's waivers?

Kind of hoping that there is no news until waivers run on Tuesday...

1 hour ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Watch the game for a while, the clues are there.

i won't claim to be a fly on the wall in the NFL offices, but from a couple decades in IT & health care I "know stuff" about corporate attorneys and how they look at things. 

But by all means, continue to flippantly disregard the insight of people who may have worked in sensitive corporate environments & might "know stuff".

Not the choice I'd make, but hey; you do you. ;) 

All good but you need to work on your reading comprehension because clearly you don't "know" as much as you think you do about me.  Lol.

30 minutes ago, greyhorse said:

Who here has sworn off picking up this guy again yet once again finds themselves putting in a claim on this week's waivers?

Kind of hoping that there is no news until waivers run on Tuesday...

The potential reward still outweighs the risk atm IMHO if you have room on your bench.

Just now, dagwood said:

All good but you need to work on your reading comprehension because clearly you don't "know" as much as you think you do about me.  Lol.

I know you've posted 1335 times and only 31 of those were liked by anyone.  

I also know that you chose to call me out, specifically quoting my post while projecting that I claimed to be some sort of expert on NFL policy making, when in my post I said I "believed" the NFL would exercise caution. 

So perhaps the comprehension issues are more internal? 

Good luck, and welcome to ignore. 

Just now, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I also know that you chose to call me out, specifically quoting my post while projecting that I claimed to be some sort of expert on NFL policy making, when in my post I said I "believed" the NFL would exercise caution. 

Did not know that comprehension was tied to folks clicking on "like this".  Where I come from reading comprehension is something we learn in grade school.  Carry on though.  

2 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Funny.  I actually considered putting you on ignore but I find your posts entertaining even if I don't find them informative.  Carry on.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:48 AM, Chaka said:

Um, he was busted for pot, wasn't he?  He's been out for multiple seasons for doing something perfectly legal in multiple states with NFL teams.  Also, not sure either how that correlates to domestic abusers like Rice, whom got caught red handed on video, and the bad publicity they got from that as others have suggested. 

6 minutes ago, Men-in-Cleats said:

Um, he was busted for pot, wasn't he?  He's been out for multiple seasons for doing something perfectly legal in multiple states with NFL teams.  Also, not sure either how that correlates to domestic abusers like Rice, whom got caught red handed on video, and the bad publicity they got from that as others have suggested. 

He was also told not to drink then posed for a picture for social media with a beer in his hand. Apparently he's not very smart

• Like 1