Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Matt Waldman

Josh Gordon Everything Thread

Just now, Scooby1974 said:

Did I hear 6 weeks? And with the trade to NE and Brady throwing him the pill? I'm INNNNNNNNNNNN

Except...

in my timeline I left out that Goodell would have to immediately reinstate him which I find extremely unlikely.

more likely that’s a 2-3 week process.

so you’re looking at week 11-12-13. 

God luck with that. 

This is more common than Baylor - this is the reality of college football being worth billions. This goes far, far, far beyond just Baylor. 

I know a D1 program that was giving out steroid protocols. Talk to guys that played at these programs and you hear all kind of stuff like this. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Except...

in my timeline I left out that Goodell would have to immediately reinstate him which I find extremely unlikely.

God luck with that. 

He is facing a 4 game suspension after he gets reinstated for violating the substance abuse policy the last time. So absolute best case scenario you're getting him back around the timeframe you outlined above. Then we're plugging the guy into lineups fresh during the FF playoffs. I dropped him last week and I doubt I'll be picking him up again. 

• Like 1

Just now, timbrah_ho said:

He is facing a 4 game suspension after he gets reinstated for violating the substance abuse policy the last time. So absolute best case scenario you're getting him back around the timeframe you outlined above. Then we're plugging the guy into lineups fresh during the FF playoffs. I dropped him last week and I doubt I'll be picking him up again. 

Or more realistically he’s back in weeks 16-17 or not at all. 

not exactly what I’d like to pin my championship on. Or take up a bench spot with, for that matter. 

1 minute ago, timbrah_ho said:

You're gonna get suspended for 4 games now, oh voice of REASON!

Mark my words. Josh Gordon will put up 227 and 3 TD's in your championship game. #kickyoselflater

17 minutes ago, matttyl said:

So should he be reinstated after, the only team he could play for this year would be the Browns?

If Gordon gets reinstated after 10/31, he could still play elsewhere if the Browns opt to release him.

There are provisions and guidelines that have to be met in order to be reinstated. Each suspended player has a treatment / rehabilitation plan and a drug testing schedule. Each player has to show that he has adhered to the requirements of his individual program and prove that to the commissioner. What that translates to is mostly wild speculation, but a case could be made against Gordon due to him having to go to rehab. In a year long ban, prior to applying for reinstatement, the players are supposed to stay clean and pass up to 10 drug tests per month. Going to rehab likely tipped Gordon's hand that he wasn't staying clean. I suspect that Gordon hasn't reapplied for reinstatement yet because he has had some discussion with the league about how long he has to be clean and compliant to the league's drug policies and reinstatement protocols.

As I have mentioned every 10 pages or so in this thread, Goodell historically has taken several months to review and ultimately decide on players applications for reinstatement. I really don't see that changing for Gordon. I would guess Goodell will take 2-3 months to review the case and make a determination (just like he's done with Gordon in the past). If Gordon applied for reinstatement TODAY, we might get an answer by the end of the regular season. Add in the fact that Gordon hasn't practiced, doesn't know the latest playbook, and is likely not in game shape (he might be physically fit, but that isn't the same as game shape), I think it is a long shot that Gordon plays this year.

• Like 2

What Anarchy99 said^^

...and he's still facing a 4 game suspension after he's reinstated. Just wanna drive that point home for anyone seriously considering a WW add 

24 minutes ago, Scooby1974 said:

16,156 replies

:lmao:

Part of what makes fantasy football fun. Everyone can make the obvious picks - it's the long shots that are interesting. 

Can you imagine if Gordon came back in 2017 and lit it up? 1% chance, but more fun than Antonio Brown having the season everyone expects. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, btemp said:

Part of what makes fantasy football fun. Everyone can make the obvious picks - it's the long shots that are interesting. 

Can you imagine if Gordon came back in 2017 and lit it up? 1% chance, but more fun than Antonio Brown having the season everyone expects. 

I can imagine that more than I can imagine him not lighting up and staying on the field. I mean he's lit up every other time he's returned, why not now?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, btemp said:

I think there is a greater chance that President Trump apologies to the players that knelt for the anthem than there is of Gordon outproducing Antonio Brown. But maybe that's just me.

• Like 1

I think the 4 games suspension is key...for people like me who are holding Gordon instead of grabbing my backup kicker, this would be good info to have that would officially end my .1% chance he comes back this year hope.

Is 4 game suspension speculation or in-the-books-done-done?

1 hour ago, timbrah_ho said:

What Anarchy99 said^^

...and he's still facing a 4 game suspension after he's reinstated. Just wanna drive that point home for anyone seriously considering a WW add 

not saying this isn't true, but I haven't seen it anywhere.  Wouldn't he have already served it with the indefinite suspension?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I dunno about that - I think he was allowed to reapply on Sept 21st (according to his personal trainer/life coach) - but IIRC he also said that was going to happen weeks ago, and it didn't. 

As far as I know there's no requirement that Gordon stay clean for a year. And as good as it is that he went back to rehab (and I am genuinely happy for Gordon if his life is back on track) admitting that the 1st time was a publicity stunt may not endear him to Goodell. 

It seems what's most relevant in order of importance is, 

1. When Gordon applies for reinstatement, what priority will Goodell place on it. 

2. Even if Goodell places a high priority on reinstatement, how long will that process take. 

3. What will the Browns do? If they want him back (questionable, given their non-involvement with this process to date and their statements indicating otherwise) then he'll be back in _______ time, will take _______ time to get into football shape, and will take _______ time to learn the playbook?  

3A. If the Browns do not want him back, then what? Do they release him? Trade him to another team? And if that happens, the same questions above about timing apply. 

It's week 6. 1/3 of the way through the season. I bet the NY Giants would be willing to deal a lot for him if everything checks out? 

1 hour ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Except...

God luck with that. 

Yes. All true. 

Goodell is not going to expedite his reinstatement.  What incentive does he have to do that?  Last time he took over 60 days.  So 8 weeks.

And once he is reinstated, then another 4 week suspension?

Then 1-2 weeks of "acclimation", either with the Browns or another team?

So we are talking about 13-14 weeks?

Stick a fork in 2017.  Pick him up at the end of the season if you play in a keeper league.  But 2017 is not a realistic possibility.

I'm glad and feel a sense of relief that I don't have to continue to play the JG game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slider said:

True story but they also don't have $20 million potential and every resource in the world available to them.

I think you also mean every resource in the world falling all over themselves to get a piece of that $20 million dollar talent regardless if that means helping or enabling him. 

I'd bet every last pair of @Soulfly3's custom Josh Gordon kicks that there were far more enablers in the room.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chaka said:

I'd bet every last pair of @Soulfly3's custom Josh Gordon kicks that there were far more enablers in the room.

Yeah, but how much are those shoes really worth with splooge all over them? :shrug:

1 hour ago, timbrah_ho said:

What Anarchy99 said^^

Huh?  Suspension after he is reinstated?  What does that even mean?

Just now, socrates said:

Yeah, I'm not feeling that either. He's suspended indefinitely for missing the drug test - this rumor doesn't make sense. 

What does make sense is Goodell taking 2-3 months to decide what to do. 

1 minute ago, socrates said:

Look it up, it's in most of today's articles. He violated the drug policy last time around. Reinstatement just means he's eligible to be part of the NFL again. It appears that once he's cleared to even be considered an NFL player he still has to serve time for his previous violation. 

1 minute ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Yeah, I'm not feeling that either. He's suspended indefinitely for missing the drug test - this rumor doesn't make sense. 

What does make sense is Goodell taking 2-3 months to decide what to do. 

Ok, so throw out the 4 game suspension.

Still looking at about 8 weeks for Goodell plus 1-2 weeks to get ramped up with a team.  So 9-10 weeks, we are in week 6.  Season over.

• Like 1

Just now, greyhorse said:

Ok, so throw out the 4 game suspension.

Still looking at about 8 weeks for Goodell plus 1-2 weeks to get ramped up with a team.  So 9-10 weeks, we are in week 6.  Season over.

Completely agree. 

3 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

He's not serving a suspension after his suspension. 

That'd be ludicrous. 

He was told he'd be served a 4 game suspension after being reinstated in 2016. Same thing this time around. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, massraider said:

This is like those Japanese soldiers in the Pacific that don't know the war is over.

:lol:  

6 hours ago, knowledge dropper said:

Had everyone conned with the it's just weed story.  

Not everyone.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

Not everyone.

I mean... he peed and took tests. So... The tests wouldve shown it. The league wouldve known it.

I read today that Aldon Smith filed his reinstatement papers back in November, and still no action from Goddell.

And apparently some dude named Daryl Washington spent three seasons out of the league before Goddell reinstated him.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, davearm said:

I read today that Aldon Smith filed his reinstatement papers back in November, and still no action from Goddell.

And apparently  some dude named Daryl Washington spent three seasons out of the league before Goddell reinstated him.

Had forgotten about him, but that dude was a pretty good LB.

1 minute ago, Soulfly3 said:

Pretty sure the Commish has a time limit to make a decision... 30-45days or something.

What in his long history makes you believe Goodell will follow any rules at all?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

Pretty sure the Commish has a time limit to make a decision... 30-45days or something.

I have spelled this out 6-8 times in this thread. There is a provision on the books that the commish has 60 days to make a determination once an application is filed and the league has all the information it need to complete the file and review it. They have never adhered to the 60 day "rule," and the subsequent action for non-compliance is for the NFLPA to file a formal complaint . . . which would go to the commish, who has even more time then to hear and rule on the complaint. So in reality, filing a complaint would likely EXTEND the process, not move it along. Sure, I suppose a player could threaten legal action to have a decision conferred, but I would guess that wouldn't help his cause.

What people frequently forget is that the PLAYER is the one that has to comply with a lot of things . . . it's not like the league is the one that has to jump though hoops. A simple out for the commish is to say he wanted to see a longer record of sobriety and adherence to the player's treatment plan, Stage 3 of the drug policy, and a general state of contrition. Given Gordon's track record, I would suggest Goodell would be LESS lenient than other players that may be first time suspended players. Again, the league has shown no desire to expedite a player's reinstatement from suspension. Not sure why that would suddenly change for Gordon.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Not sure why that would suddenly change for Gordon.

There is definitely a reason Gordon spilled all those beans today. About his past. About college supporting his addictions. Coming clean, publicly. 90 day rehab.

• Like 1

After watching that video, just rooting for him as a human being at this point. An NFL return would be gravy.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

There is definitely a reason Gordon spilled all those beans today. About his past. About college supporting his addictions. Coming clean, publicly. 90 day rehab.

I'm looking forward to seeing this, and I'm pulling for him, but right now this is a human interest story only. Football-wise I'd like to see the Browns trade his rights anywhere. The guy needs a change of scenery, though maybe he has support in Cleveland at this point.

1 minute ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing this, and I'm pulling for him, but right now this is a human interest story only. Football-wise I'd like to see the Browns trade his rights anywhere. The guy needs a change of scenery, though maybe he has support in Cleveland at this point.

It's a chilling video.

You start thinking he's going to blame everyone but himself... And he just blows that out the window.

4 hours ago, FreshiZ said:

He's never seen his daughter?

What a dirtbag

I'd have to know the mother before I make that determination. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

The guy needs a change of scenery, though maybe he has support in Cleveland at this point.

Why? It isn't like Clev screwed him over. Quite the opposite. They gave him multiple chances. If anything, he owes them. He hasn't earned a change.

It would be great if he cleaned himself up, played 7 good years and retired. Nice story if it happens.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Soulfly3 said:

I mean... he peed and took tests. So... The tests wouldve shown it. The league wouldve known it.

They wouldn’t have been able to disclose if they did, as that would be considered a HIPPA violation.  They can say “he failed a test” as “cause” for action. 

That said, he didn’t take his test, remember? That was why he was suspended indefinitely - slipped the test. 

Maybe the 1st test was just booze & weed. Maybe it revealed more but camp Gordon played it off as booze & weed. :shrug:

1 hour ago, Slider said:

It would be great if he cleaned himself up, played 7 good years and retired. Nice story if it happens.

Agreed.

3 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

Why? It isn't like Clev screwed him over. Quite the opposite. They gave him multiple chances. If anything, he owes them. He hasn't earned a change.

the change is for him ...not the browns...sometimes you just have to go somewhere else...not saying thats the answer but we KNOW he hasnt been able to get it right in cleveland ...he`s pretty much burned that bridge anyways

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

I realize that & like I said maybe he has a support structure he needs in CLE. I'm just saying sometimes a clean slate is best.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Soulfly3 said:

I warned you all. 

You literally can't be this stupid. It's literally impossible. You see those quotes about how he's been lying to the world for the last 3 years? Yeah, you're the idiot who bought those lies. Don't be stupid enough to think we don't remember that. Even if he ends up turning this around (and I hope he does), you habe have still been dead wromg all these years. Accpet that. Move on with your life. The rest of us have. Even Josh Gordon. 

Did he never leave rehab except that one day when he was in Cleveland? I thought he left on the 21st. I read somewhere on Twitter that he wanted to complete rehab after 110 days and then reapply. If this is true, and he never left rehab, it would make sense especially with the video coming out. If September 21 marked 90 days, we are approaching 110 days. I also read that he would be suspended for the four games after being reinstated. At this point he's probably not worth rostering, however it's hard to not root for him (after seeing the video especially) and stash him for the hell of it. 

Lebron and Maverick Carter are backing up Gordon which I'm sure the NFL likes. I think I would err on the side of Gordon getting reinstated. I'm not sure if he will be able to help our teams with all factors considered. However, it will be nice to see him get another shot. 

• Like 1

It's also cool how he and another Josh (Hamilton) have similar stories. Hopefully Gordon ends up dominating like Hamilton did in baseball.

I’m rooting for Josh Gordon. I hope 2018 comes and he’s a 6-7th round pick, flashing crazy skills in the preseason after showing he could stay clean & sober all offseason & through camp. 

I hope he has 8-9 good years in the NFL, and stays sober throughout. 

The chances of that are not awesome based on historic precedent of addicts falling off the wagon, but there’s a chance. 

Good overview of addiction - and this doesnt cover coke or Xanax. 

The dirty little secret about addictions is that relapsing is the rule, not the exception. Up to 80 percent of alcoholics treated for a drinking problem will hit the bottle again at least once. Between 60 and 90 percent of smokers light up within a year of stopping, and more than 90 percent of the gamblers who quit on their own will eventually place another bet. Even minor bad habits are hard to brea