What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (8 Viewers)

Not for nothing, but you also posted that his first game back in that regular season he went for 120 yards - which you conveniently left out.  This game was against the Falcons where Hoyer was throwing the ball everywhere (322 yds).

There's something to be said for a talented player entering his first game back after a long hiatus.  Many believe he's lost a step or will need time to acclimate, and it's during this time of underestimating a player that they tend to shine.  I'd have to think there should be a small bump in projections because of this type of situation.
I didn't leave it out. I said he didn't find the end zone one time in five games and proceeded to list his receptions and yardage in those five games. And I listed the 8 receptions for 120 yards game.  What's the problem?

I also mentioned that in the three fantasy playoff weeks, he had 15, 45, and 48 yards. And 9 catches. Total. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't leave it out. I said he didn't find the end zone one time in five games and proceeded to list his receptions and yardage in those five games. And I listed the 8 receptions for 120 yards game.  What's the problem?

I also mentioned that in the three fantasy playoff weeks, he had 15, 45, and 48 yards. And 9 catches. Total. 
Latest conversations were more about yardage and not TDs, but that's fine.  My point was more in what you missed in my post in that his first game back it appears as if Gordon may have been under-estimated, thus him go for 120 yards.  As you said, that was a non-playoff week - but so is his return for this weeks game.  That was more my point.  My perception of your post is that you moved away from that phenomenon to focus more on his lackluster performances and ignored the statistical anomaly of his first game back after a long hiatus.

In the end, who really knows how he'll do.  It comes down to how much you (the FF Team Manager) perceive his value to be vs any other player.  In the case of Dez vs Gordon, I see a little more upside with Gordon than I do Dez this week, hence my point in putting Gordon in over Dez.  YMMV.

Latest conversations were more about yardage and not TDs, but that's fine.  My point was more in what you missed in my post in that his first game back it appears as if Gordon may have been under-estimated, thus him go for 120 yards.  As you said, that was a non-playoff week - but so is his return for this weeks game.  That was more my point.  My perception of your post is that you moved away from that phenomenon to focus more on his lackluster performances and ignored the statistical anomaly of his first game back after a long hiatus.

In the end, who really knows how he'll do.  It comes down to how much you (the FF Team Manager) perceive his value to be vs any other player.  In the case of Dez vs Gordon, I see a little more upside with Gordon than I do Dez this week, hence my point in putting Gordon in over Dez.  YMMV.
Bottom line is, no one has any clue what Gordon will do on Sunday. I guess if Kizor force feeds him 15 targets, he could have a productive day. But that in-and-of-itself is a complete unknown. Maybe it's Coleman he has more faith in and Gordon gets 5 targets and 3 catches. I guess if someone is desperate and wants to take a flyer on him being 2013-Gordon and not 2014-Gordon, they have the right.  As someone who's been disappointed in Diggs as my WR3, I hope he is every bit of 2013-Gordon.  But I'll gladly leave those points on the bench for one week before utilizing him rather than risk a 2 receptions for 20 yards game. 

True, he wont have studs throwing him the ball like he did before
One thing to note, at least Kizer can get the ball downfield. That wasn't really the case with any of our former QB's. That said if Kizer gets hurt and the midget comes in, we're ####ed.

We're ####ed regardless but less so with Kizer under center.

He sounds like a wonderful person....if you look past the drug addict, drug dealing, non malicious people shooting, car thief thing....Sounds like he'll have a long career.

The biggest takeaway I got out of that article came from the comments section. Not sure if it's been brought up or not.

"The reason he didn't recapture his form after his 2014 10 game suspension was in large part because he wasn't allowed to have any contact with the team prior to reinstatement ( which wasn't the case this time...or last year when he excelled in 2015 preseason games). He didn't know the playbook and was running the wrong routes regularly. he also hadn't practiced. didn't have any time to build a chemistry with his qb."

And wasn't Johnny Football his QB during those dog#### games? I'm asking b/c I'm not sure. I just recall Manziel missing him a bunch during that stretch. Kizer >>>>>>>>> Manziel

Josh Gordon 2014 gamelogs:

Game 11: 16 targets (QB: Brian Hoyer)
Game 12: 13 targets (QBs: Brian Hoyer for 30 attempts, Johnny Manziel for 8 attempts)
Game 13: 7 targets (QB: Brian Hoyer)
Game 14: 4 targets (QB: Johnny Manziel)
Game 15: 7 targets (QBs: Brian Hoyer for 13 attempts, Johnny Manziel for 8 attempts)

And wasn't Johnny Football his QB during those dog#### games? I'm asking b/c I'm not sure. I just recall Manziel missing him a bunch during that stretch. Kizer >>>>>>>>> Manziel
Soulfly was betting his posting future based on Manziel being the QB.  So not only was he all in on Gordon, he was all in on Manziel.   :lmao:

I would say anything less than Antonio Brown's performance over the last two weeks would be a disappointment.  I figure the QB downgrade for Gordon is easily offset by his 4.3 forty speed and his transcendent once in a generation talent.

Well, if Dez is unbenchable w less, Gordon would be too,  w 6.1
I haven't owned Dez in years.  I'd bench them both for Robbie Anderson if I hadn't wasted a roster spot on Gordon and had acquired Anderson.  But alas, Crabtree is suspended and I have to start the two legged dumpster fire this week.

Wow, just wow. This argument, is...just wow.

Dez hasnt topped 73 yards since week 4? Gordon hasnt gained 1 yard in 3 years, I mean....your shtick is tired.
I'm sure when you say Gordon is in your lineup no matter what, means nothing to any person...they see your bias and irrational remarks regarding Gordon.
Gordon is the last ranked WR in every single league right now.
No bueno, I mean, this is how easy it is to decimate an argument when the person uses shtick to make points.

Your argument for benching Dez is he is WR23, so a WR2 to most teams. lol Are we serious here?
take a deep breath.

Dez isnt winning you games. Not once this season. He puts up abysmal weeks and a couple ok ones. 

Benching him for Gordon, worst case, will lose you what exactly? Guy is averaging 55yds a game. 

If you think Gordon comes in and can't possibly get 55yds,then ok... Im wrong. 

Even w a 3yr layoff, Gordon can hit 55yds on one catch, imo. No idea how this is schtick. By saying id start him over a near dud? Please. 
I actually agree with this. Dez is just a name now. It's unlikely he's going to win you a week anymore. Gordon is surely risky - but he has potential for a big week at least. Even, if he does not come through it's unlikely that you'll miss Dez' 4-55 stat-line in your lineup.

So basically what you guys are saying is that this is the week Dez goes for 8-150-2 while guys r benching him for a guy that hasn't played in 3 years and will probably have 2 catches for 19 yards

Wow, just wow. This argument, is...just wow.

Dez hasnt topped 73 yards since week 4? Gordon hasnt gained 1 yard in 3 years, I mean....your shtick is tired.
I'm sure when you say Gordon is in your lineup no matter what, means nothing to any person...they see your bias and irrational remarks regarding Gordon.
Gordon is the last ranked WR in every single league right now.
No bueno, I mean, this is how easy it is to decimate an argument when the person uses shtick to make points.

Your argument for benching Dez is he is WR23, so a WR2 to most teams. lol Are we serious here?
Literally three posts above yours FBG_Moderator asked people to stop trading jabs.

Agree or disagree with @Soulfly3 he made a decent point about Dez being a low upside play.

@JuniorNB pointed out that over his last five games Gordon put up 24 catches, 303 yards and 0 TDs.  Well over Dez's last five games he has 25 catches, 251 yards and 0 TDs.

I understand being highly doubtful of Gordon's ability to step in and be an immediate producer, it's a long shot at best but I also completely understand why some, aside from @Soulfly3, might be excited about his upside from the jump.  The guys measurables are (were?) next level.

Guys, I know we all want to talk about Gordon's one big season, but let's not forget the fact that the last time this guy played in the league, he was very average.  He played in 5 games in 2014 and didn't score a single touchdown. 

Here are his stats for the 2014 season:

Week 12: 8 receptions 120 yards

Week 13: 7 rec  75 yards

Week 14: 2 rec  15 yards

Week 15: 3 rec  48 yards

Week 16: 4 rec  45 yards

That killed many people's fantasy playoffs.   And that was three years ago.  So proceded with caution.
Looks like Dez Bryant's production this year. Last five games:

4 - 39

6 - 73

4 - 39

8 - 63

3 - 37

That said, if you're hurting at WR or Flex, then maybe, just maybe start Gordon. But I would wait a week if it were me. Kizer is no Brian Hoyer.

Looks like Dez Bryant's production this year. Last five games:

4 - 39

6 - 73

4 - 39

8 - 63

3 - 37

That said, if you're hurting at WR or Flex, then maybe, just maybe start Gordon. But I would wait a week if it were me. Kizer is no Brian Hoyer.
Agree. If desperation calls for it, roll the dice.  You never know.

I'm having to choose between Gordon and Kenny Stills. If I were in a matchup against a stronger team, I might go with Gordon, but since it's a game I'm supposed to win, I'll take the lower-risk play and hope I'm wrong (I can use 2013 Gordon in the playoffs).

If Stills still had Moore, I may roll Stills, but since Cutler is back, you could roll Gordon there. Benching Dez is just a riskier proposition. Anyone can get a 60 yard TD any given week, doesnt mean they were the best play going into the week. Travis Benjamin gets a big play here and there, is he a better start then Michael Thomas because he pops big TDs?

If Stills still had Moore, I may roll Stills, but since Cutler is back, you could roll Gordon there. Benching Dez is just a riskier proposition. Anyone can get a 60 yard TD any given week, doesnt mean they were the best play going into the week. Travis Benjamin gets a big play here and there, is he a better start then Michael Thomas because he pops big TDs?
So, if Gordon busts a big play in his first game back it's due to "here and there" philosophy?

Not many so called "experts" are very high on Josh Gordon this week for several reasons, are you?
Yes, I am. 

Despite a tough opponent, despite being out of te league. He and his manager are talking like he's coming in with no rust. Best shape, mentally or physically.

So I trust he'll put his money where his mouth is. 

I fully expect a few bumps sunday. But I'm the conductor of this train and have been for like 4yrs... If you think Im hopping off, you're wild. I'm throwing loads of coal in the engine as we speak. 

Yes, I am. 

Despite a tough opponent, despite being out of te league. He and his manager are talking like he's coming in with no rust. Best shape, mentally or physically.

So I trust he'll put his money where his mouth is. 

I fully expect a few bumps sunday. But I'm the conductor of this train and have been for like 4yrs... If you think Im hopping off, you're wild. I'm throwing loads of coal in the engine as we speak. 
I sense your complete enthusiasm and all in on Josh. For your sake I hope for the best for you. I'd love to watch a Gordon TD on replay over and over and over again...

Should I drop one of them for Gordon?

PPR

L.Fitzgerald

E.Sanders

S.Shepard

C.Kupp

D.Woodhead (I have Kamar,Perine,L.Murray,E.Elliott)

Only negative thing in this whole comeback, is the amount of talking he's doing.

I get this is likely part of the plan, and part of the "rehab process" - coming clean... But still... meh. 

Just wanna see him on the field. That's all.

I already did, sir...feel free to go back and search for it... I even already made my prediction for next week too. I'm sure your prediction from what I can tell from your past remarks it is like 500 yards and 50 TDs in the first quarter. So, if you wanna know mine go back and find it, because I really have no interest in your prediction as it wont be helpful to me in any way. Asking for your opinion on Gordon is like asking the opinion of a parent about their child. Just wont be without bias.

I should heed your advice on your prediction because you know WRs? Well, then why have your past predictions on Gordon fail at every. single. turn? You made predictions you bet your posting on, those predictions failed. Yet, here you are. Are you not a man of your word, so why should I heed your projections if your word cant be trusted? I am judging you based only off your football predictions here.

Also, everything changes is Hayward dont play, he was DNP today.

Only negative thing in this whole comeback, is the amount of talking he's doing.

I get this is likely part of the plan, and part of the "rehab process" - coming clean... But still... meh. 

Just wanna see him on the field. That's all.
It's part of him trying to convince someone to pay him too much money. It's all about the Benjamin's.

It's part of him trying to convince someone to pay him too much money. It's all about the Benjamin's.
It's still dumb and that SI article was a real bad look for Gordon and his manager.  What is especially stupid about it is if he wants to get paid all he has to do is ball out. That is all, nothing else to worry about. That article worried me to be honest.  Just did not seem like a conducive environment for staying clean and also some things are just better left unspoken. And really if he thinks he's winning people over telling his drug dealing gang banging past he is getting some stinky advice.

I hope he does great.  no predictions though as he doesn't have a real QB throwing the ball.  this time of the season we all do a little grasping at straws.  I'm probably starting Carr this week at QB.  It is what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread