What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (9 Viewers)

How about now?
Well, I was obviously wrong in my estimation of the Patriots mindset. It happens. Almost all of the other "problems" they have been willing to take on were good players that were labeled attitude cases/malcontents. Stuff that was "fixable" with winning and structure. I didn't think they would be willing to take on a guy who has been his own worst enemy for as long as JG has. Evidently, I was wrong. Maybe BB feels he needs to go there to maintain the level of success they've become accustomed to.

Now, that said, there is plenty of real estate between here and Gordon being a fantasy stud again. In the immortal words of Winston Wolf, "Lets not start suckin' each other's ##### quite yet."

I just realized that in my main league I'm rostering Gronk, Edelman, and now Gordon. 

That's almost embarrassing to type coming from somebody who really doesn't like the Patriots and can't stand cheering for them. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I was obviously wrong in my estimation of the Patriots mindset. It happens. Almost all of the other "problems" they have been willing to take on were good players that were labeled attitude cases/malcontents. Stuff that was "fixable" with winning and structure. I didn't think they would be willing to take on a guy who has been his own worst enemy for as long as JG has. Evidently, I was wrong. Maybe BB feels he needs to go there to maintain the level of success they've become accustomed to.

Now, that said, there is plenty of real estate between here and Gordon being a fantasy stud again. In the immortal words of Winston Wolf, "Lets not start suckin' each other's ##### quite yet."
I agree with this entire post and laud you for the Pulp Fiction reference. 

Soulfly3 said:
Was it 4 or 430 that this apparently had to be done by?

And why is there a deadline?
Excuse me if this was posted already, I haven't read through the whole thread yet but...

Word is the deal was done at 4:20

Does no one remember the Albert Haynesworth experiment in NE?  As a Pats fan I can tell you that there is one consistent element in each of these reclamation projects and it most definitely is NOT universal success.  It's that NE always gives themselves an easy & quick out.  They don't allow the franchise to get into situations where they can't easily walk from these deals.  This is just the latest example.  Hope it works out for Gordon as I'd like to see him get his life turned around. 

There has never been a more perfect encapsulation of why the Browns are the worst franchise in football over the last 15 years and the Patriots are the best.  

There are 30 owners and GM's right now all saying they can't believe that Belichick ended up getting Josh Gordon for essentially a 6th round pick. Since they're no doubt going to finish as one of the top teams in the league again. And every other team had a chance to do the same or slightly better and get him on their team. Now granted, I'd only give Gordon about a 25% chance of not screwing this up. He is one of the League's historical boneheads. But that means the Patriots have a 25% chance of getting one of the top 10 receivers in the league for a very very low 5th round pick. And teams are currently signing guys like Braxton Miller to fix their receiving woes. Bill did it again. Made 31 other teams look like morons.

Is there actual evidence he relapsed?  The Browns management team is quite possibly the worst in sports.  I don't think it should immediately be assumed Gordon was at fault here.
No, nor has that been insinuated by anyone other than the media. It's hard to put into perspective how tired Browns management (and fans) are of this whole saga. It's been 6 years of constant will he be here or won't he be here? I'm confident Dorsey addressed this with the Haslim's before he took the position. There is only so much bull#### you can take no matter how potentially great the guy is. The Browns have never been able to realize this potential and capitalize on it. JG missing essentially all of training camp was the final straw IMO. That set the stage for how do we get out from under this guy and they have been working toward that ever since. The hamstring story just pushed the little red eject button for them. JG has been living in an environment where he hasn't been held accountable on the football field. That time has come to an end in Cleveland, whether he realized it or not.

???..... You are correct.

I'm trying to unload him right now in three leagues that I own him.  

Something to watch for:

Josh Gordon couldn’t handle the pressure of playing in Cleveland.

He’s gonna looooooooooove the Boston sports media. They’re always so forgiving of drops, on-field mental lapses, off-field drama - real bunch of kind-hearted cream puffs, those Boston sports writers.

Just ask Pablo Sandoval, he’ll tell ya. 

Something to watch for:

He’s gonna looooooooooove the Boston sports media. They’re always so forgiving of drops, on-field mental lapses, off-field drama - real bunch of kind-hearted cream puffs, those Boston sports writers.

Your point is taken, but the media is totally different in their coverage of the Pats and the Red Sox. Red Sox writers are a notorious bunch, whereas the Pats get a little looser coverage. We'll see, though. It's certainly talk radio fodder, that's for sure.  

Something to watch for:

The media will never get to talk to him.  No way BB puts him any where near the media.  JG just became the black hole of BB's press conferences. 

I have Gordon on a few redraft rosters this year. I gave up on him on my only dynasty team a couple years ago. As great as it seems on paper; Brady to stud WR, I'm not sure if the Pats culture is a good fit or not. The positives is Brady, great coaches, winning team. The negatives is that they don't seem to put up with BS. If Hue Jackson finally had enough of Gordon, how long til Bill gets fed up? I have no idea where Gordon is life-wise, but it does seem a certain amount of drama follows him around. Agree that it's well worth while to kick the tires for a 5th. Just doesn't seem like a great match personality wise. 

Something to watch for:

The Sandoval situation was quite different. The team was criticized for overpaying him as a free agent and he showed up in spring grossly overweight. Then he didn’t perform on the field and got injured. He kind of brought it on himself.

I have Gordon on a few redraft rosters this year. I gave up on him on my only dynasty team a couple years ago. As great as it seems on paper; Brady to stud WR, I'm not sure if the Pats culture is a good fit or not. The positives is Brady, great coaches, winning team. The negatives is that they don't seem to put up with BS. If Hue Jackson finally had enough of Gordon, how long til Bill gets fed up? I have no idea where Gordon is life-wise, but it does seem a certain amount of drama follows him around. Agree that it's well worth while to kick the tires for a 5th. Just doesn't seem like a great match personality wise. 
I’m sure Bill will have a private conversation with Josh about his expectations. It all boils down to how bad Josh wants to win a championship and is he willing to focus 100% on football for the next 5-6 months.

I’m sure Bill will have a private conversation with Josh about his expectations. It all boils down to how bad Josh wants to win a championship and is he willing to focus 100% on football for the next 5-6 months.
I agree. Again I have no idea where Gordon's head is at, but as of a 3 weeks ago he was more interested in getting his life in order than playing football, which is the right priority for an addict. It will be interesting to see if he's together enough to focus on just football now. Still, a great move by the Pats.

Win win for the Patriots, again. They make smart football moves and continue to win. They either now have a top 5ish wr talent for a late 5th or it doesn’t pan out and they have only lost a late 5th. 

The Sandoval situation was quite different. The team was criticized for overpaying him as a free agent and he showed up in spring grossly overweight. Then he didn’t perform on the field and got injured. He kind of brought it on himself.
Also, it was the most predictable series of events in the history of ever. 

Ask any Giants fan. ;)  

regardless, we also predicted the Boston sports media eating him alive like he eats at a buffet. 

They do have a history of being unkind that goes back much further than Panda. 

Is there actual evidence he relapsed?  The Browns management team is quite possibly the worst in sports.  I don't think it should immediately be assumed Gordon was at fault here.
Dorsey isn’t a chump like the rest. I’d give him more credit than the one in a million shot that Gordon has changed. 

Im amazed people keep believing though. It’s like ground hog days. One day he screws up and he’s worthless and the thread should be locked. The next day he has it all together and he’s a top 20 wr. Meanwhile he basically hasn’t played in 5 years. Crazy

Dorsey isn’t a chump like the rest. I’d give him more credit than the one in a million shot that Gordon has changed. 

Im amazed people keep believing though. It’s like ground hog days. One day he screws up and he’s worthless and the thread should be locked. The next day he has it all together and he’s a top 20 wr. Meanwhile he basically hasn’t played in 5 years. Crazy
Hue Jackson still being employed is evidence to the contrary. 

I remember Dorsey being asked "Who leads the NFL in TDs since 2012." during hardknocks and his response was "Jarvis Landry?". I'm not even sure if Dorsey watches football.

I remember Dorsey being asked "Who leads the NFL in TDs since 2012." during hardknocks and his response was "Jarvis Landry?". I'm not even sure if Dorsey watches football.
Even if you believe that why would Gordon get the benefit of the doubt over anyone? What does he have, 20 failed drug tests the last ten years? But people still believe. There as deluded as he is at this point.

Even if you believe that why would Gordon get the benefit of the doubt over anyone? What does he have, 20 failed drug tests the last ten years? But people still believe. There as deluded as he is at this point.
Funny, he hasn't failed one in over a year, and hasn't failed one this year.  By every single account out there, this had nothing to do with drugs.  He's actually been clean and sought help before the season to make sure he could stay that way.  That's a very positive sign, and either the Patriots keep him on that path with more structure and an actual chance to win, or he'll be out of the league.  It's not delusional to believe he has a shot to be very, very relevant in both real life and fantasy.  It's delusional to think he can't.

That doesn't mean he will be.  Jury is still out.  But it's foolish to write him off. 

That was widely reported as a condition of taking the job. He’ll be gone after this year and Dorsey inherited a ton of picks and some young talent to get build with in the meantime.
lol Dorsey inherited unprecedented draft capital after the Browns got rid of the guy who accumulated it for them (Sashi).  So.... more evidence they are a cluster.

Funny, he hasn't failed one in over a year, and hasn't failed one this year.  By every single account out there, this had nothing to do with drugs.  He's actually been clean and sought help before the season to make sure he could stay that way.  That's a very positive sign, and either the Patriots keep him on that path with more structure and an actual chance to win, or he'll be out of the league.  It's not delusional to believe he has a shot to be very, very relevant in both real life and fantasy.  It's delusional to think he can't.

That doesn't mean he will be.  Jury is still out.  But it's foolish to write him off. 
It’s very foolish to think it’s likely that he has turned the corner. Very. Between his many failed tests, 3 weeks off during training camp, showing up late to meetings all the time, and whatever he did as the final straw, there are nothing but red flags.,To assume he’s got it together and make up excuses leaves me thinking most people in this thread are as deluded as he is. 

It’s very foolish to think it’s likely that he has turned the corner. Very. Between his many failed tests, 3 weeks off during training camp, showing up late to meetings all the time, and whatever he did as the final straw, there are nothing but red flags.,To assume he’s got it together and make up excuses leaves me thinking most people in this thread are as deluded as he is. 
Couldn't disagree more.  Those failed tests came previous to 2017.  He was clean enough in 2017 to be reinstated, and he's stayed clean enough to have no league discipline since.

There are no excuses and the Browns gave up on him not because of an isolated incident but because of years of them.  The hamstring injury while shooting a promo video was just the final straw.  But he's going to a far more structured organization with a clean slate, and again, the drug problems haven't popped up for well over a year now.  While they could always come back, there's also the chance that they won't in a better organization with a culture of winning. 

Even his biggest supporters acknowledge that he might flame out. But some won't even acknowledge the chance that he won't.  To each their own.

He gets tested constantly. He hasn't been suspended again. He played and caught a TD last week. Whatever his latest issues with the Browns were, they weren't drinking alcohol or testing positive for weed. 

Yet he’s still out of town before that happens again.
Not saying he's got no chance to relapse or do something else dumb. Just saying it hasn't happened in a good while and a much better organization is willing to gamble they can manage the day-to-day issues the Browns (an awful organization) got sick of. Whatever was the straw that broke the camel's back in CLE doesn't really matter if NE is right about him. 

I also have a feeling that Haley is a rising power in that FO and Hue is a declining one with less and less credibility by the day, and that may have been a big part of this "last straw" happening now. You could tell from Hard Knocks that Haley wanted nothing to do with Gordon returning. He's the most obvious future Interim Head Coach I can ever remember seeing on a bad team. He's got a voice now I bet. 

The media will never get to talk to him.  No way BB puts him any where near the media.  JG just became the black hole of BB's press conferences. 
That's a great point. BB isn't letting Gordon anywhere near a microphone or a camera but for the minimum amount required after games. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if BB tells Josh that he'll cover fines for not talking to the media.

Now Instagram might be a entirely different problem.

MOOD!

Users who are viewing this thread