What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (12 Viewers)

Fact is, Brady has Gronk, and he'll have Edelman back for his normal dink and dunk stuff.  He's going to really enjoy having a big, physical WR who can actually make plays in another week or so.  It's pretty clear that he's going to need it.

After the last two weeks, they'll almost surely get Gordon involved by next week.

Fact is, Brady has Gronk, and he'll have Edelman back for his normal dink and dunk stuff.  He's going to really enjoy having a big, physical WR who can actually make plays in another week or so.  It's pretty clear that he's going to need it.

After the last two weeks, they'll almost surely get Gordon involved by next week.
Yeah, Edelman complicates things but it's difficult to see the Patriots failing to recognize how much they need a legitimate down field threat. Dorsett and Patterson are fast but they are not legitimate threats. Oh and now Dorsett is down on the sidelines.

Yeah, Edelman complicates things but it's difficult to see the Patriots failing to recognize how much they need a legitimate down field threat. Dorsett and Patterson are fast but they are not legitimate threats. Oh and now Dorsett is down on the sidelines.
Not sure that Edelman complicates things.  He'll run different routes than Gordon and play opposite him.  He'll keep the chains moving.  Gordon will take coverage away from Gronk, it'll make defenses have to play honest on both sides, and he's more than capable of making plays himself too.  

It'll be interesting regardless, because there's a crystal clear path for him to make an immediate impact.  All that can stop him is himself.

Wow...you people are hilarious.  I am laughing at you.  I laugh at Soulfly most of the time, but he has dragged many of you into that moronic schtick.  Especially you.  Now i laugh even more, because there are more of you to laugh at. 

Thank you for the concern though.

One question though

Why are you so concerned bro?  :lmao:
Nah, you're just a bully on a message board. You lash out at a harmless dude bro because something hurts on the inside. All good man. I feel your pain. I'm 1-2 this year.

Not sure that Edelman complicates things.  He'll run different routes than Gordon and play opposite him.  He'll keep the chains moving.  Gordon will take coverage away from Gronk, it'll make defenses have to play honest on both sides, and he's more than capable of making plays himself too.  

It'll be interesting regardless, because there's a crystal clear path for him to make an immediate impact.  All that can stop him is himself.
I meant more from a target distribution (siphon) perspective. Brady loves Edelman and Gronk and maybe, just maybe, this is his Jack Rooney season. It's gotta happen sometime. It's possible Brady finally can't keep up with the speed of the game and sticks with his safety valves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gordon is going to be frustrating  to own at least for the next several weeks and probably the whole season. It's not an easy thing to get traded during the season, learn the play book, and get on the same page with the QB.......And this is Josh Gordon we're talking about. Then you have to pray he doesn't do anything stupid. Does Brady still throw the deep ball? I see potential healthy scratches or him being a decoy in the near future.

I'll still say it's about a 17% chance he becomes fantasy relevant this year.

According to Bazinga!Stats, Josh Gordon scored as many points this week as 4 2018 Top 20 Fantasy Draft Picks: Le'veon Bell, Leonard Fournette, Dalvin Cook and Devonta Freeman. 

According to Bazinga!Stats, Josh Gordon scored as many points this week as 4 2018 Top 20 Fantasy Draft Picks: Le'veon Bell, Leonard Fournette, Dalvin Cook and Devonta Freeman. 
And fewer than Ray Ray McCloud, Zack Pascal, and 105 other WRs.  He's currently ranked WR96 on the year, but Humphries will likely pass him tonite so he's no longer viable starter in your typical 12 team start 8 WR league.

The drone Josh was racing last week had the same stats as Josh.

There were probably a 100,000 people in the US that caught more footballs in game action last week than Josh Gordon.

It is rather ironic that the team that trades him looks much better and wins their first game in nearly 2 years— all while the dominant team that receives him magically looks like utter garbage for the first time in many years. Not hatin’, just sayin’. 

The drone Josh was racing last week had the same stats as Josh.

There were probably a 100,000 people in the US that caught more footballs in game action last week than Josh Gordon.
Come on, be fair: He HAS caught 1 more pass in the NFL this year than I have.

It is rather ironic that the team that trades him looks much better and wins their first game in nearly 2 years— all while the dominant team that receives him magically looks like utter garbage for the first time in many years. Not hatin’, just sayin’. 
When you focus all your time on setting his alarm clock and teaching him run in a straight line you lose attention on game plan details.

I wonder if Gordon is learning the plays where Edelman catches all the balls?
I thought last night was interesting in that the Patriots changed the offense to one which highlighted how the current roster of WRs limits Brady's effectiveness based on poor matchups (which the Pats normally scheme to avoid),  During the game, I could almost imagine BB doing it on purpose to demonstrate to the team in film this week why Gordon was brought in.  

Slay was a mismatch on Dorsett or Hogan.  He never covered Patterson.  I was surprised that BB let that matchup continue to happen throughout the game happen without motioning the WRs.  He also did not attack with White in the passing game until very late.  That is odd.  Instead he used the rookie on most of the snaps, which meant less pass protection, which meant less passes and more predictable running (since BB did not want to expose Brady).  But even in those circumstances, they have the TEs that the Pats could have gone big when they ran to open up Gronk, but didn't.  Why?       

Dorsett did not have the size so he could stretch the field and could not hold onto contested throws.  He was swallowed up whenever a safety drifted over him deep.  And he was not able to make catches in tight spaces.  Worse, he quit on one deep route in which Brady threw the ball into double coverage expecting Dorsett to be at a spot downfield. 5 targets = 0 catches.  

Hogan, on the other hand, didn't have the speed to make the short passes and bubble screens work for him.  He makes the intermediate catches well.  But the bubble screens - he wasn't nifty enough. He made a few catches, but also dropped one also.  3 catches - 31 yards.

White was barely used.  But when he was, he was effective.  But he was held out most of the game. Un-BB like.  

So, to answer your question, I don't think Gordon touches the routes that Edelman runs for the most part.  Gordon will likely stretch the field and be in positions to make contested catches (something it was clear the Pats couldn't do last night - at least with the personnel grouping they put on the field).

I think the whole offense was shifted by BB last week when Gordon arrived.  I think I may have underestimated what the Pats think of Gordon.

He is an upgrade on Cooks.  Think Cooks 2.0.   I think he is going to get Cook's former screens and downfield targets plus Gordon should get some of Gronk's red zone targets.  They need to break up the double on Gronk.  I think Edelman catches more passes because the Pats will be on the field more if Gordon can fill that role.      

BassNBrew said:
Gordon is so bad at football that he couldn't even learn the fly route in one week and the Pats opted to only activate 3 WRs this week.
:goodposting:

My thought would be, throw him on the field, tell him to not run where all the other WR's are and look for the ball. He isn't going to learn that offense and runs half assed routes anyhow. Just having him on the field is worth some respect from the opposing team, not like they are going to leave him uncovered but whatever. Good luck NE!

Hairy Snowman said:
I thought last night was interesting in that the Patriots changed the offense to one which highlighted how the current roster of WRs limits Brady's effectiveness based on poor matchups (which the Pats normally scheme to avoid),  During the game, I could almost imagine BB doing it on purpose to demonstrate to the team in film this week why Gordon was brought in.  

Slay was a mismatch on Dorsett or Hogan.  He never covered Patterson.  I was surprised that BB let that matchup continue to happen throughout the game happen without motioning the WRs.  He also did not attack with White in the passing game until very late.  That is odd.  Instead he used the rookie on most of the snaps, which meant less pass protection, which meant less passes and more predictable running (since BB did not want to expose Brady).  But even in those circumstances, they have the TEs that the Pats could have gone big when they ran to open up Gronk, but didn't.  Why?       

Dorsett did not have the size so he could stretch the field and could not hold onto contested throws.  He was swallowed up whenever a safety drifted over him deep.  And he was not able to make catches in tight spaces.  Worse, he quit on one deep route in which Brady threw the ball into double coverage expecting Dorsett to be at a spot downfield. 5 targets = 0 catches.  

Hogan, on the other hand, didn't have the speed to make the short passes and bubble screens work for him.  He makes the intermediate catches well.  But the bubble screens - he wasn't nifty enough. He made a few catches, but also dropped one also.  3 catches - 31 yards.

White was barely used.  But when he was, he was effective.  But he was held out most of the game. Un-BB like.  

So, to answer your question, I don't think Gordon touches the routes that Edelman runs for the most part.  Gordon will likely stretch the field and be in positions to make contested catches (something it was clear the Pats couldn't do last night - at least with the personnel grouping they put on the field).

I think the whole offense was shifted by BB last week when Gordon arrived.  I think I may have underestimated what the Pats think of Gordon.

He is an upgrade on Cooks.  Think Cooks 2.0.   I think he is going to get Cook's former screens and downfield targets plus Gordon should get some of Gronk's red zone targets.  They need to break up the double on Gronk.  I think Edelman catches more passes because the Pats will be on the field more if Gordon can fill that role.      

Well finally an optimistic take that is well thought out.

At this point I'd be happy with WR3 numbers.  I had drafted him in the WR3 range expecting WR2 numbers.  Basically give me a guy who doesn't post single digit weekly ppr numbers and has some occasion bigger games.  I hope you're right because I'm heavily invested.  Unfortunately I don't see it playing out that way.  I see him mostly being used as a deep decoy to open up the underneath for Edelman and Hogan and to break the double coverage on Gronk.  I suspect he'll get some crumbs tossed his way to keep him motivated to run up and down the field.  With his talent he should be able to turn those crumbs into something.  I just don't think he'll see the volume that he could have in Cleveland.  I think the biggest beneficiary will be Gronk.  His catch rate is incredible and Brady will go to that well when thirsty.  James White is going to see a lot more targets too.  

josh couldnt learn the fly route guys
First thing you have gotten right in this thread in a half a decade.  Props.

Pretty please with sugar on top, please refrain from posting in this thread so that the rest of us Josh owners have a chance at seeing some production.  Just do it for Josh.  Sincerely believe that if you disappeared for a couple of weeks that Josh would make an impact.

At this point I'd be happy with WR3 numbers.  I had drafted him in the WR3 range expecting WR2 numbers.  Basically give me a guy who doesn't post single digit weekly ppr numbers and has some occasion bigger games.  I hope you're right because I'm heavily invested.  Unfortunately I don't see it playing out that way.  I see him mostly being used as a deep decoy to open up the underneath for Edelman and Hogan and to break the double coverage on Gronk.  I suspect he'll get some crumbs tossed his way to keep him motivated to run up and down the field.  With his talent he should be able to turn those crumbs into something.  I just don't think he'll see the volume that he could have in Cleveland.  I think the biggest beneficiary will be Gronk.  His catch rate is incredible and Brady will go to that well when thirsty.  James White is going to see a lot more targets too.  
This is the take that makes the most sense to me, frankly. But I've been on the NE =! good for Gordon's fantasy numbers since the beginning. If Gronk sees anything like he saw last night, he'll beast if Gordon stays clean and sober and shows up on time to practice and meetings. I don't see how you contain them both. 

New England, getting Edelman back, has covered the WC offense, Air Coryell, and any TE-dominated offense that you can imagine. They're in great offensive personnel shape even at 1-2. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably, and this hasn't been spoken of because they're not speaking to the media yet, a combination of hamstring and playbook.  
But they made a point of announcing immediately after acquiring him that his hammy was good enough to play right away...

But they made a point of announcing immediately after acquiring him that his hammy was good enough to play right away...
That's not accurate. Josh Gordon's camp got a report out on his hamstring was "fine".  Not NE and "fine" does not mean good to go, just means not likely a multiple week issue. I believe Fournette and Cook used similar language describing their hamstring issues and it led to both of them sitting out this week.

The offense isn't working the way it is designed right now.  I think Gordon should open up the field for everyone. 

But I don't think he will get "scraps".  It will vary obviously, but BB needs to establish JG as a genuine threat before he will draw coverage.  BB is playing the long game and looking at the playoffs.  I could see JG getting as much as he can handle during the season when it is easier to pass deep and BB preserving Gronk for the playoffs when he will need the mismatches.  

But, this is all speculation.  We will get a better idea next week against the Dolphins.    

I am laughing at both of you because Gordon scored his td in week 1.  I forgive you though.  
Whoops.  My life really doesn't revolve around Josh Gordon.  I just knew without looking that he scored more fantasy points than you have this year (as you had claimed). 

Users who are viewing this thread