What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (4 Viewers)

I like the pick. Browns need playmakers and his size/athleticism alone gives him NFL upside. Maybe they paid too much, but if they really feel he's an NFL caliber starter and wanted him, they might have feared the Redskins would also spend a two. It's not like he's a 29 year old college QB they drafted in the first. That pick of Wheeden still blows my mind.
I'm 70 and was raised during "free love" and pot. If he's sitting in the locker room, before the game, and lighting up, then that's 1 thing. However, if he's in his home or his apartment after the game, then I don't see the problem. Yes, I KNOW IT'S ILLEGAL. But I also know there are a bunch of alcoholics that are sitting in some bar and getting blasted that have every intention of getting into their cars and driving home. I'll take the person hitting a "toke" in their own place. And no, some guy with needle tracks up and down their arm is NOT THE SAME THING.

'Eminence said:
Our commissioner picked this guy up before any of us seemingly had the chance. Sheisty move?
Depends on what "seemingly had the chance" means.If you had no chance? Yes.If you were just not as quick? No.

'wdcrob said:
'MAC_32 said:
'wdcrob said:
I like Gordon, but think using what's probably going to be an early 2nd on him is crazy. But if the Browns wanted him that's probably what they needed to do. Suspect there were other teams lined up behind them with later 2nds.
He's the 4th best WR prospect in the 2012 class, so I think we paid fair value.
Talent-wise he might higher than 4th. But the suspension and year out of football have to be factored in there somewhere IMO. Basically the Browns paid full price for him, as if he had no off-field problems.
Raw physical ability? I don't see top 4. Top 10, yes. Is he really any more physically gifted than Sanu, Jeffery, Randle, Criner or Hill? Those are just the guys that look similar in terms of height and weight and speed (though Hill is faster). I think in his case we are probably making assumptions in his favor to fill in the void from 2011.Can he translate that ability into production by polishing his game? Who the heck knows? He's very raw in some ways, as Waldman notes in his article. Maybe he's the next T.O., maybe he's the next Bowe, maybe he's the next Devin Thomas, maybe he's the next Limas Sweed. There are plenty of average speed, over 6' WR's that flash potential but never climb the depth chart.Raw plus character issues plus good athleticism? He is Greg Little made over, albeit with better hands. There's significant risk associated with these guys.

The hype continues:

@ChrisWesseling #Browns "fully expect" Gordon to help as a rookie. NFL source tells @TonyGrossi he would've been top-10 pick in 2013:
That "source" is someone in player personnel in Cleveland responding to the "reach" comments. LOLAfter the Weedon pick, you know they've got to be sensitive about it.

The hype continues:

@ChrisWesseling #Browns "fully expect" Gordon to help as a rookie. NFL source tells @TonyGrossi he would've been top-10 pick in 2013:
That "source" is someone in player personnel in Cleveland responding to the "reach" comments. LOLAfter the Weedon pick, you know they've got to be sensitive about it.
I thought Weeden's consensus Grade was a first rounder. I'm not sure they view the pick as anything other than a positive. Although I do agree it may have been someone in the Brown's front office making that comment. Then again, it may have been Norv Turner or Ted Thompson too. We really have no idea.

'wdcrob said:
'MAC_32 said:
'wdcrob said:
I like Gordon, but think using what's probably going to be an early 2nd on him is crazy. But if the Browns wanted him that's probably what they needed to do. Suspect there were other teams lined up behind them with later 2nds.
He's the 4th best WR prospect in the 2012 class, so I think we paid fair value.
Talent-wise he might higher than 4th. But the suspension and year out of football have to be factored in there somewhere IMO. Basically the Browns paid full price for him, as if he had no off-field problems.
Raw physical ability? I don't see top 4. Top 10, yes. Is he really any more physically gifted than Sanu, Jeffery, Randle, Criner or Hill? Those are just the guys that look similar in terms of height and weight and speed (though Hill is faster). I think in his case we are probably making assumptions in his favor to fill in the void from 2011.Can he translate that ability into production by polishing his game? Who the heck knows? He's very raw in some ways, as Waldman notes in his article. Maybe he's the next T.O., maybe he's the next Bowe, maybe he's the next Devin Thomas, maybe he's the next Limas Sweed. There are plenty of average speed, over 6' WR's that flash potential but never climb the depth chart.Raw plus character issues plus good athleticism? He is Greg Little made over, albeit with better hands. There's significant risk associated with these guys.
I put him right in there with those players you mentioned. He actually seems a lot like Hill, but a bit more natural while being perhaps a bit inferior athletically.

Compared to who he replaced he is.
they hope. It's possible Brandon Weeden could be awesome and make that trade seem really smart. the way i see it they missed out on possibly one the best WR of this generation, and have been chasing with guys like Little and now Gordon.

I thought Weeden's consensus Grade was a first rounder.
if weeden was 5 years younger he'd be a slam dunk 1st rounder. It's possible he would have been there for their 2nd. Just like how if Josh Gordon didn't get kicked out of Baylor maybe he'd be a slam dunk 2nd rounder. Or if Greg Little didn't get suspended from UNC, he'd have gone higher etc. There's broadly accepted real value and there's Browns value and I don't think they are the close. The Browns do reach and they have been reaching. It's ok to reach if the player exceeds expectations (for example Tyson Alualu) but it's a dangerous trend this front office is setting, almost never drafting for value.

I thought Weeden's consensus Grade was a first rounder.
if weeden was 5 years younger he'd be a slam dunk 1st rounder. It's possible he would have been there for their 2nd. Just like how if Josh Gordon didn't get kicked out of Baylor maybe he'd be a slam dunk 2nd rounder. Or if Greg Little didn't get suspended from UNC, he'd have gone higher etc. There's broadly accepted real value and there's Browns value and I don't think they are the close. The Browns do reach and they have been reaching. It's ok to reach if the player exceeds expectations (for example Tyson Alualu) but it's a dangerous trend this front office is setting, almost never drafting for value.
These guys go for value early in round 1 and then target their guys thereafter. If they feel they have to move up, they will. If they feel they can move back and get a similar player, they will. Their end goal is to acquire 3-4 quality starters in each draft. Since they feel they started with less than 5 that means they didn't expect to compete until this year or next year, so rolling the dice on upside is a formidable strategy. They won't ever admit that, but it's been their plan all along.As is they feel like they have all of the holes filled, maybe not OLB and DE2. There are calculated risks at WR, CB2, TE, and (gulp) QB. I'd bet they don't feel like all of them will pan out but some of them will. The ones that don't, re-visit in the draft. If they're right then they get a pass rusher round 1 next year then look to address OLB in the mid rounds. If they're wrong about any of their guys then the plan is pushed back a year. Or God forbid they acquire a free agent.

Their end goal is to acquire 3-4 quality starters in each draft.
I guess that's where I disagree with the Browns. Quality starters don't win games. Stars win games.
That's the building process plan. Now that they feel they're close to completing it they're looking for stars to emerge. Richardson and Haden are obviously two of them. Lots of candidates on defense too. DQ will never be a super star performer but he seems to be taking on the leadership role needed. I'm wary they think they're other star on offense is Weeden though. He's why I haven't bought into the Browns plan, if they're right about him he's the missing piece but I have a lot of doubts about whether he can be a good NFL QB.

The more I think about it, the less I like Gordon's situation. Even if Weeden turns out to be good they have a dominating RB who will be the center of the offense and a bunch of TE's - including the up and coming Cameron. I don't see a lot of numbers there at WR so something will have to give between Gordon and Little - either one of them breaks out or they muddle along with 50 catch seasons.

Schefter said Gordon possed 'rare' physical skills.

Tony Grossi isn't one for hyperboyle and he says Gordon has physical skills that are similiar to, Andre Johnson, AJ Green, and Julio Jones.

My link

... No receiver on the Browns’ roster has the elite physical skills Gordon possesses. At 6-3 1/8 and 225 pounds, with long arms and huge hands, exceptional leaping ability and good speed for a big man, Gordon has all the tools of the prototypical No. 1 wideout. Athletically and physically, think Andre Johnson, A.J. Green and Julio Jones.

“When you guys see him, that will be your first clue,” Heckert said.
Their might be something more here than what I originally thought.The thing that I did not realize is that Gordon is only 20 years old meaning the tape on him is from when he was only 18.

I wasn't blown away by his forty, only 4.52 but he did tweak a quad and finished the run which realistically puts him in the 4.3/4.4 range or sub 4.5. The other thing about his forty is he didn't train for months for it ala the Indy combine guys. Josh didn't even make up his mind to enter the supplimental draft until the 29th of June so he did his Pro Day on very little prep time which makes his forty even more impressive. Also when you look at the tape, he's clearly faster than 4.52, he's not just fast he has another gear and pulls away from people.

Once again, the tape of him is when he was only 18 and he's only 20 now, far from filling out his frame.

I think he's faster than his forty and the tape can't do justice to where is stands physically right now so I'm on board with the point that he does have 'rare' physical skills.

One thing I look for in any WR prospect is huge hands and Josh's span is over 10' wide, that is sensational. He also has a wide catch radius as his arms are also long so an excellent, size, speed, catch, ratio.

Add, he has submitted to bi-weekly drug tests over the last year and come up clean every time and he also has consented to weekly therapy sessions and testd high on his Wonderlic so the Taco Bell pot incident seems a distant memory.

I would not expect him to start from game-one but I do anticipate he will supplant WR Mohammad Massaquoi before the season ends.

Next year appears to be when he could be a hot item but the time to get him is now if you can stash him.

I wasn't blown away by his forty, only 4.52 but he did tweak a quad and finished the run which realistically puts him in the 4.3/4.4 range or sub 4.5. The other thing about his forty is he didn't train for months for it ala the Indy combine guys. Josh didn't even make up his mind to enter the supplimental draft until the 29th of June so he did his Pro Day on very little prep time which makes his forty even more impressive. Also when you look at the tape, he's clearly faster than 4.52, he's not just fast he has another gear and pulls away from people.
I agree that 4.52 is not his best potential time, but he did not tweak his quad on the run that he was timed at 4.52 on. He tweaked it on his second attempt on which he timed 4.6.So, I think that 4.5ish is his baseline speed. He might improve it slightly with some professional speed training, but he is not a 4.3 guy by any stretch.

Schefter said Gordon possed 'rare' physical skills.

Tony Grossi isn't one for hyperboyle and he says Gordon has physical skills that are similiar to, Andre Johnson, AJ Green, and Julio Jones.

My link

... No receiver on the Browns’ roster has the elite physical skills Gordon possesses. At 6-3 1/8 and 225 pounds, with long arms and huge hands, exceptional leaping ability and good speed for a big man, Gordon has all the tools of the prototypical No. 1 wideout. Athletically and physically, think Andre Johnson, A.J. Green and Julio Jones.

“When you guys see him, that will be your first clue,” Heckert said.
Their might be something more here than what I originally thought.The thing that I did not realize is that Gordon is only 20 years old meaning the tape on him is from when he was only 18.

Once again, the tape of him is when he was only 18 and he's only 20 now, far from filling out his frame.

I think he's faster than his forty and the tape can't do justice to where is stands physically right now so I'm on board with the point that he does have 'rare' physical skills.

One thing I look for in any WR prospect is huge hands and Josh's span is over 10' wide, that is sensational. He also has a wide catch radius as his arms are also long so an excellent, size, speed, catch, ratio.

Add, he has submitted to bi-weekly drug tests over the last year and come up clean every time and he also has consented to weekly therapy sessions and testd high on his Wonderlic so the Taco Bell pot incident seems a distant memory.

I would not expect him to start from game-one but I do anticipate he will supplant WR Mohammad Massaquoi before the season ends.

Next year appears to be when he could be a hot item but the time to get him is now if you can stash him.
I like the pick even more if his age is really only 20. CBS sports lists him as having turned 21 on April 13th with dob of 4/19/91.

I like the pick even more if his age is really only 20. CBS sports lists him as having turned 21 on April 13th with dob of 4/19/91.
I realyed what I saw on two different sites.CBS said he turned 21 on the 13th with a birth date on the 19th.

I am sure someone can verify his age but CBS has an error with one of those dates.

I realyed what I saw on two different sites.CBS said he turned 21 on the 13th with a birth date on the 19th.

I am sure someone can verify his age but CBS has an error with one of those dates.
He'd still be 21 either way.
Yep, little long in the tooth for my tastes.

Wiki says he's 21 but that is still very young. So the film is fromm when he was 19, still very young and far from filling out his frame.

Albert Breer from NFL.com has an article with some quotes from around the league on Gordon.

My link

... There's a wide range of opinion on how good Gordon can be

... "It's very hard to find a comparable player," an AFC personnel executive said. "The off-field issues, you try and draw on those players like that who have turned into huge successes, and having those examples tends to give executives some peace of mind. I struggled to come up with a high volume of players that have had his amount of issues and done a 180. We'll see. The rest of it is up to the kid."

... According to sources with four NFL clubs, Gordon failed three drug tests as a collegian. The first two came at Baylor. The latter, according to these sources, came after charges were dropped in his marijuana-related arrest of 2010, and that led to his dismissal from the Baptist school, which has a reputation for being tough on drugs. That led to his transfer to Utah, where he failed another drug test. (I've only heard three failed drug tests, not four. Breer says two came in 2010 and lead to his suspension and then he failed again and left Baylor, that adds to three but he then says their was another failed drug test and I have not heard this from any other source. I've heard he agreed to bi-weekly drug tests and passed them all at Utah and we know he passed a random test prior to his Pro Day and he has also reported he's been in weekly therapy sessions. )

... "It's just something where you say, 'Hey man, put [the marijuana] down'," said an NFC personnel director. "You never know which way they'll go when they get here. It's hard to know how important football is, and how important weed is to the kid. And the environment he goes into is important too. Then, it's how they mature through the process you put them through." (I get the concern and agree to a point about adverse effects on production for an athelete but Moss and others have shown they can produce no matter what they do off the field. I've got zero moral issues with that sort of personal decision but if it effects performance or ability to learn his craft then its not a personal decision when it effets others so it is a concern along those lines for me so we shall see.

... "I talked to a zillion guys at both Baylor and Utah," Browns GM Tom Heckert said on a conference call with the Cleveland media. "To be honest with you, I couldn't find anybody to say one bad thing about the kid. I really enjoyed meeting with him. It's something that is out there that we have done our homework on. To say we're 100 percent, we're not 100 percent on anybody in the draft, but we felt good enough that he's going to be a positive influence on our team."

... "Take the background stuff out of it, let's talk about the player and his talent. He plays at just under 6-4 and at 220, that's hard to find, and does play with legit speed," an AFC college scout said. "I know he ran 4.52, but he plays like a 4.40 guy. … The issue is those Baylor guys are tough, there's no playbook, there's a lot of route conversions. He's gonna be starting over from a fundamental standpoint. He doesn't know how to run routes, and he has some natural tightness."

... "I think all that stuff is fixable," the NFC personnel director said. "Some things he does better than (Justin) Blackmon. He plays faster than Blackmon, has a similar body type. He has better body control and is a more fluid athlete. The difference is, Blackmon's finished product. Think of it this way, say you get 20 reps running a specific route at game speed, and add it up. Think of many reps he missed. That's how far behind he is. And then you have to think of how far he can go."

Asked if he stacks up with Blackmon or Michael Floyd, the 2012 draft's top two receivers, the NFC personnel man answered, "Physically, yes." And posed with the same question, the AFC personnel director said, "Floyd's a bit faster than him, he has similar speed to Blackmon. Both guys, Floyd and Blackmon, at this point, are better route runners than he is. And that's probably it. But yes, there are some common traits."

... The Cleveland Browns bought that Gordon has grown up. But only time will tell whether or not that's truly the case. That part is up to him.
He is young, raw, but he's got rare physical skills and a history of smoking pot.The Browns feel he checks out characer-wise but from all acconts he is at least a year away from making an impact. He's behind after missing mini camps and OTAs. He's going to get his first NFL playbook after not having one at Baylor and he's got tons of work to do in getting reps and getting any sort of chemistry goiong with Weeden.

Don't expect much this year from him but I do think he'll take Mo-Massaquoi's job by the end of this season.

If you check out other rookie WRs and look at the production they have their rookie year and compare it to the second/third seasons you see the 'general trend' is they don't do much, if anything, the first part of their rookie year but get a shot and start to produce at the end of that year and carry it forward.

So if he struggles or doesn't break into the starting line-up he could probably come cheaper at some point this year. Right now the hype is probably driving his price up but uncertainty about his skills could pop-up if he doesn't get a shot or if he struggles. That would be the time to get him at a cheaper price but I wouldn't expect a return on investment until next year.

I get the pick and I also get that his best shot to make an impact is next year.

Wiki says he's 21 but that is still very young. So the film is fromm when he was 19, still very young and far from filling out his frame.

Albert Breer from NFL.com has an article with some quotes from around the league on Gordon.

My link

... "It's very hard to find a comparable player," an AFC personnel executive said. "The off-field issues, you try and draw on those players like that who have turned into huge successes, and having those examples tends to give executives some peace of mind. I struggled to come up with a high volume of players that have had his amount of issues and done a 180. We'll see. The rest of it is up to the kid."

... According to sources with four NFL clubs, Gordon failed three drug tests as a collegian. The first two came at Baylor. The latter, according to these sources, came after charges were dropped in his marijuana-related arrest of 2010, and that led to his dismissal from the Baptist school, which has a reputation for being tough on drugs. That led to his transfer to Utah, where he failed another drug test. (I've only heard three failed drug tests, not four. Breer says two came in 2010 and lead to his suspension and then he failed again and left Baylor, that adds to three but he then says their was another failed drug test and I have not heard this from any other source. I've heard he agreed to bi-weekly drug tests and passed them all at Utah and we know he passed a random test prior to his Pro Day and he has also reported he's been in weekly therapy sessions. )

... "It's just something where you say, 'Hey man, put [the marijuana] down'," said an NFC personnel director. "You never know which way they'll go when they get here. It's hard to know how important football is, and how important weed is to the kid. And the environment he goes into is important too. Then, it's how they mature through the process you put them through." (I get the concern and agree to a point about adverse effects on production for an athelete but Moss and others have shown they can produce no matter what they do off the field. I've got zero moral issues with that sort of personal decision but if it effects performance or ability to learn his craft then its not a personal decision when it effets others so it is a concern along those lines for me so we shall see.

... "I talked to a zillion guys at both Baylor and Utah," Browns GM Tom Heckert said on a conference call with the Cleveland media. "To be honest with you, I couldn't find anybody to say one bad thing about the kid. I really enjoyed meeting with him. It's something that is out there that we have done our homework on. To say we're 100 percent, we're not 100 percent on anybody in the draft, but we felt good enough that he's going to be a positive influence on our team."

... "Take the background stuff out of it, let's talk about the player and his talent. He plays at just under 6-4 and at 220, that's hard to find, and does play with legit speed," an AFC college scout said. "I know he ran 4.52, but he plays like a 4.40 guy. … The issue is those Baylor guys are tough, there's no playbook, there's a lot of route conversions. He's gonna be starting over from a fundamental standpoint. He doesn't know how to run routes, and he has some natural tightness."

... "I think all that stuff is fixable," the NFC personnel director said. "Some things he does better than (Justin) Blackmon. He plays faster than Blackmon, has a similar body type. He has better body control and is a more fluid athlete. The difference is, Blackmon's finished product. Think of it this way, say you get 20 reps running a specific route at game speed, and add it up. Think of many reps he missed. That's how far behind he is. And then you have to think of how far he can go."

Asked if he stacks up with Blackmon or Michael Floyd, the 2012 draft's top two receivers, the NFC personnel man answered, "Physically, yes." And posed with the same question, the AFC personnel director said, "Floyd's a bit faster than him, he has similar speed to Blackmon. Both guys, Floyd and Blackmon, at this point, are better route runners than he is. And that's probably it. But yes, there are some common traits."

... The Cleveland Browns bought that Gordon has grown up. But only time will tell whether or not that's truly the case. That part is up to him.
He is young, raw, but he's got rare physical skills and a history of smoking pot.The Browns feel he checks out characer-wise but from all acconts he is at least a year away from making an impact. He's behind after missing mini camps and OTAs. He's going to get his first NFL playbook after not having one at Baylor and he's got tons of work to do in getting reps and getting any sort of chemistry goiong with Weeden.

Don't expect much this year from him but I do think he'll take Mo-Massaquoi's job by the end of this season.

If you check out other rookie WRs and look at the production they have their rookie year and compare it to the second/third seasons you see the 'general trend' is they don't do much, if anything, the first part of their rookie year but get a shot and start to produce at the end of that year and carry it forward.

So if he struggles or doesn't break into the starting line-up he could probably come cheaper at some point this year. Right now the hype is probably driving his price up but uncertainty about his skills could pop-up if he doesn't get a shot or if he struggles. That would be the time to get him at a cheaper price but I wouldn't expect a return on investment until next year.

I get the pick and I also get that his best shot to make an impact is next year.
For the record, he did practice at Utah for his year of residency. Never complained. Just went to work every day and submitted bi-weekly urine tests and was clean every time. So he hasn't been completely on the couch, just hasn't appeared in games. He practiced all year according to what I've read and heard.

There are plenty of character risks who have washed out and plenty who have got their act together so it's real easy to make a case either way for this type of kid...what makes me nervous about Gordon is going to a team that has been losing regularly and now has a rookie QB, a rookie RB, a starting WR that is a second year player and a Coach who is only in his second year as an HC...does this team have the environment to not only get his head on straight off-the-field but also make sure he's committed to his craft on-the-field because there doesn't seem to be much debate in-the-fact he's somewhat raw and needs to be fully on-board as a professional to be worth what should turn out-to-be a pretty high second round pick in 2013...

Last edited by a moderator:
There are plenty of character risks who have washed out and plenty who have got their act together so it's real easy to make a case either way for this type of kid...what makes me nervous about Gordon is going to a team that has been losing regularly and now has a rookie QB, a rookie RB, a starting WR that is a second year player and a Coach who is only in his second year as an HC...does this team have the environment to not only get his head on straight off-the-field but also make sure he's committed to his craft on-the-field because there doesn't seem to be much debate in-the-fact he's somewhat raw and needs to be fully on-board as a professional to be worth what should turn out-to-be a pretty high second round pick in 2013...
If you want to question Gordon due to the fact he was drafted by the Browns with the argument that he's a questionable prospect because he joined a team who has had a losing track record then I would have to question the logic behind that argument.Players on bad teams can be highly productive, players on good teams can produce very little. It seems that talent and opportunity have much more to do with individual production than W/L track record and track records change.I don't see any team in the bottom half of the NFL who have done as much as Cleveland has in the draft over the last couple of years to change their losing track record.True, last year Shurmur was a rookie HC. He brought in a new offense and defense and didn't get OTAs or mini camps to help develop his rookies but his top three rookies started from game-one and were highly productive. DT Phil Taylor lead all rookie D-Linemen in tackles, DE Jabaal Sheard was second in sacks and lead all rookie defenders in forced fumbles, WR Greg Little had 61 receptions, more than Julio Jones. Later picks all made the team and OG Jason Pinkston was forced into the starting lineup from game-one due to an injruy to veteran OG Eric Stienbeck missing last year due to injury and Pinkston turned into a real find after a shaky start. Four starters from last year who started every game. This year the Browns top three picks are all scheduled to start from game-one, RB Trent Richardson, QB Brandon Weeden, and ORT Mitchell Schwartz.Taylor is hurt but he'll be back in November and now it appears that WR Josh Gordon could contribute later in the year about the time that Taylor is due back. Weeden is a rookie QB so he'll struggle but Schwartz and Richardson should produce immediately. The Browns have attacked the weakness' on their team so the argument that a team which has lost is doomed to forever lose doesn't hold water with me and I don't automatically assume the pick given up to acquire Gordon will wind up as being high second round draft pick.Their are pieces in place on the Browns that I feel will make immediate contributions and I don't know exactly how that will effect the W/L record.My opinion is Cleveland has done more than any team who finished at the bottom half of the league to improve their talent which should improve their win total but the production of Gordon is more on him rather than on the W/L record of the Browns so I don't agree with that argument even if the Browns don't improve their win total.

If you want to question Gordon due to the fact he was drafted by the Browns with the argument that he's a questionable prospect because he joined a team who has had a losing track record then I would have to question the logic behind that argument.Players on bad teams can be highly productive, players on good teams can produce very little. It seems that talent and opportunity have much more to do with individual production than W/L track record and track records change.I don't see any team in the bottom half of the NFL who have done as much as Cleveland has in the draft over the last couple of years to change their losing track record.True, last year Shurmur was a rookie HC. He brought in a new offense and defense and didn't get OTAs or mini camps to help develop his rookies but his top three rookies started from game-one and were highly productive. DT Phil Taylor lead all rookie D-Linemen in tackles, DE Jabaal Sheard was second in sacks and lead all rookie defenders in forced fumbles, WR Greg Little had 61 receptions, more than Julio Jones. Later picks all made the team and OG Jason Pinkston was forced into the starting lineup from game-one due to an injruy to veteran OG Eric Stienbeck missing last year due to injury and Pinkston turned into a real find after a shaky start. Four starters from last year who started every game. This year the Browns top three picks are all scheduled to start from game-one, RB Trent Richardson, QB Brandon Weeden, and ORT Mitchell Schwartz.Taylor is hurt but he'll be back in November and now it appears that WR Josh Gordon could contribute later in the year about the time that Taylor is due back. Weeden is a rookie QB so he'll struggle but Schwartz and Richardson should produce immediately. The Browns have attacked the weakness' on their team so the argument that a team which has lost is doomed to forever lose doesn't hold water with me and I don't automatically assume the pick given up to acquire Gordon will wind up as being high second round draft pick.Their are pieces in place on the Browns that I feel will make immediate contributions and I don't know exactly how that will effect the W/L record.My opinion is Cleveland has done more than any team who finished at the bottom half of the league to improve their talent which should improve their win total but the production of Gordon is more on him rather than on the W/L record of the Browns so I don't agree with that argument even if the Browns don't improve their win total.
I think we're talking about two different things...my question is are the Browns currently an organization for a young player with character concerns...if Gordon were going to a team with stong veteran leadership like New England, Green Bay or Baltimore I would feel a little more comfortable about him toeing the line...this doesn't mean that he can't thrive in Cleveland (or that it would be guarantee of him doing well with one of those teams) I am simply pointing out that this is a legit concern...it's always easier for a kid like Gordon to go to a situation where he is overwhelmed with positive influences...

My opinion is Cleveland has done more than any team who finished at the bottom half of the league to improve their talent
I can't argue this sentiment.I do think they dropped the ball in a big way by not getting RG3, but they have certainly become a better team on paper.Everything hinges on Weeden now.

My opinion is Cleveland has done more than any team who finished at the bottom half of the league to improve their talent
I can't argue this sentiment.I do think they dropped the ball in a big way by not getting RG3, but they have certainly become a better team on paper.

Everything hinges on Weeden now.
Remains to be seen also. But I agree, Weeden can put all the doubters to bed with one solid rookie season. Here's hoping it happens. :banned:

how does the rookie pay scale work with supplemental picks? does he get paid the same as Coby Fleener?
Pretty much. Andrew Brandt tweet from a few days ago...
@adbrandt

As high 2nd rd pick, Gordon will make roughly 5M over four years, including signing bonus of about 2.3M. First 2 yrs full guarantee.
2nd round high picks that have signed so far:
No. 33: WR Brian Quick. Signed for 4 years, $5.386 million, with $2.357 million signing bonus.

No. 35: LB Courtney Upshaw. Signed for 4 years, $5.296 million, with $2.292 million signing bonus.

No. 37: OL Mitchell Schwartz. Signed for 4 years, $5.170 million, with $2.206 million signing bonus.

I think we're talking about two different things...my question is are the Browns currently an organization for a young player with character concerns...if Gordon were going to a team with stong veteran leadership like New England, Green Bay or Baltimore I would feel a little more comfortable about him toeing the line...this doesn't mean that he can't thrive in Cleveland (or that it would be guarantee of him doing well with one of those teams) I am simply pointing out that this is a legit concern...it's always easier for a kid like Gordon to go to a situation where he is overwhelmed with positive influences...
I would have to volley that question back to you and ask why do you think Cleveland is a questionable organization in terms of being able to handle players with charector questions?Has their been a problem with any current Browns that you can point out? LB Scott Fujita's issue wasn't when he was with Cleveland. The Browns took DE Jabaal Sheard who had some issues in college and he produced as a rookie. The Browns took DT Phil Taylor in the first round of last year's draft and he produced as a rookie. They also took WR Greg Little who hadn't played for a year due to a suspension for things he did in college and he produced.Cleveland isn't Detroit or Cincinatti and New England didn't turn around Chad Ocho Cinco so their seems to be a misconception about Cleveland's ability to take rookies who had issues in college and turn them into productive players. The immediate track record in Cleveland is actually pretty good for evaluating college rookies who had issues and then having them produce without issues in the NFL.

I can't argue this sentiment.I do think they dropped the ball in a big way by not getting RG3, but they have certainly become a better team on paper.Everything hinges on Weeden now.
I don't agree that the Browns dropped the ball in a 'big way' by not getting RG III or that 'everything' hinges on Weeden.The price to move up two spots to get RG III was 3 first round draft picks and a high second round pick.The Browns drafted, RB Trent Richardson, QB Brandon Weeden, and ORT Mitchell Schwartz with three of the four picks that they would have had to surrender for RG III.The biggest weakness (note the term weakness meaning the worst play at a certain position) on the Browns over the last five or six years has been at ORT. Most of the sacks given up and run breakdowns have come from the ORT position. ORT Mitchell Schwartz was considered the best ORT prospect in this draft. He not only addresses a weakness but turns what once was a weakness into a strength. Last year the Browns run game ranked 28th in the league. RB Peyton Hillis became a lockerroom cancer. The Browns got the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson in Trent Richardson. He is a major upgrade at a position that was a dissapointment last year and both Mitchell Schwartz and Trent Richardson should solidify two positions for the next five to eight years.Then their is Weeden who has looked good in mini camps and OTAs before we even mention next year's first round draft selection.If the Browns would have gotten RG III they would have him but they would have had a huge hole at ORT and at RB and they would have no first round draft pick next year.I luv RG III but any criticism over the Browns not going after RG III where the argument is stacked with RG III on one side and only Brandon Weeden on the other side is false. Its RG III VS. Trent Richardson, Mitchell Schwartz, Brandon Weeden, AND Cleveland's first round draft pick in 2013. At this point in time I'm of the opinion that I'd rather have those three players and next year's first round draft pick.This one will be debated for a long time so we can check back on this one in the future.Also last year the Browns traded down and missed out on WR Julio Jones but got a slew of picks in exchange. I thought it was a great trade for both clubs, not one sided but good for both teams. Atlanta is a top contender and needed a stud at one position to push them over the top, it didn't work out last year but it made sense and it still might pay off for them. Cleveland was a bad team and needed to reload at many positions. They got, DT Phil Taylor, WR Greg Little, and RG Owen Marecek and this year they had an extra first round pick that they used on Brandon Weeden. So last year's trade worked out for Cleveland and I believe that the trade they didn't make for RG III will turn out to work out in Cleveland's favor as well. Right now I like the players the Browns got instead of RG III and I also like that they still have their first round pick in 2013 so I don't agree that everything is on Weeden.

Signed a 4 year deal, good sign

ETA:

Browns agreed to terms with second-round supplemental pick WR Josh Gordon on a four-year, $5.3 million contract. Analysis: Although the team's brass expects Gordon to contribute as a rookie, the challenge will be picking up Pat Shurmur's West Coast offense after playing in Baylor's spread formation, then spending last year as a redshirt practice-only player at Utah. Expected to battle Greg Little for No. 1 receiver duties down the line, Gordon falls in the 20-25 range in Dynasty rookie drafts next month.

I wasn't planning to make a move to get him, but his age was enough to get me to go for it. I'm still not thrilled by the Cleveland situation but I gave up what will likely be a late 2nd and 3rd on the off chance he lives up to the guys he's being compared to.

Would anyone use (or plan to use) a 1st round pick on him in their rookie draft? Put aside the fact that he wasn't available if you already drafted but, just given what you know and now that you know what team he will play for, Are there any of you guys out there willing to draft him at spots where guys like hill, Jeffery, Randle, etc have gone?

In four of the HyperActive leagues supplemental drafts he went for:

2013 1st and 3rd

2013 2nd and 4th

2013 2nd and 4th

2013 2nd

Plus some BB$$ in each case.

In two of my leagues, we adjusted the claim process for supp players because of him (prior years we just used a FCFS placeholder name, and it resulted in very minor grumbling when guys like Pryor were involved. This seemed different.) We used BB dollars, with previous draft position as the tiebreaker. In both leagues, multiple guys bid their entire $100 (me included - got him in one of them).

In two of my leagues, we adjusted the claim process for supp players because of him (prior years we just used a FCFS placeholder name, and it resulted in very minor grumbling when guys like Pryor were involved. This seemed different.) We used BB dollars, with previous draft position as the tiebreaker. In both leagues, multiple guys bid their entire $100 (me included - got him in one of them).
I got him in the other due to tiebreaker. I looked at it as a similar pick to Little last year who went as early as 1.07 in 1 of my drafts (although this year is a better class.) IMO, Jordan slots somewhere right after the top 3 WR's of Blackmon, Wright & Floyd. In the middle of the WR 4~6 range, which means Jordan is worth a late 1st in a rookie draft.

I got him in the other due to tiebreaker. I looked at it as a similar pick to Little last year who went as early as 1.07 in 1 of my drafts (although this year is a better class.) IMO, Jordan slots somewhere right after the top 3 WR's of Blackmon, Wright & Floyd. In the middle of the WR 4~6 range, which means Jordan is worth a late 1st in a rookie draft.
Yep, I think he belongs lumped in with Hillman, LMJ, and Lamar Miller right behind the top 3 WR's. I'd take him 4th.I'm happy that neither of my dynasty leagues have open waivers until much closer to the season. FCFS just wouldn't be fair in a case like this one.

Would anyone use (or plan to use) a 1st round pick on him in their rookie draft? Put aside the fact that he wasn't available if you already drafted but, just given what you know and now that you know what team he will play for, Are there any of you guys out there willing to draft him at spots where guys like hill, Jeffery, Randle, etc have gone?
I hold the tenth pick in my rookie draft (12 team, non-ppr, idp, nearly all Browns fans so Gordon and Weeden will go higher than typical fantasy league). If he's there then I would consider him with my pick.I figure the top nine picks will fall off the board something similiar to this:

1. Trent Richardson, RB, Cleveland

2. Doug Martin, RB, Tampa Bay

3. Robert Griffin III, QB, Washington

4. Justin Blackmon, WR, Jacksonville

5. Michael Floyd, WR, Arizona

6. Kendall Wright, WR, Tennessee

7. Andrew Luck, QB, Indianapolis

8. David Wilson, RB, N.Y. Giants

9. Ronnie Hillman, RB, Denver

That would leave the following pool to choose from in no particular order:

Luke Keuchly, LB, Carolina

Robert Turbin, RB, Seattle

Isaiah Pead, RB, St. Louis

Alshon Jeffery, WR, Chicago

Stephen Hill, WR, N.Y. Jets

Brandon Weeden, QB, Cleveland

Chris Rainey, RB, Pittsburgh

And Josh Gordon, WR, Cleveland

I'm loaed at RB and could use a QB with no shot at Luck or RG III but its doubtful Weeden falls in my league.

Based off upside and being unable to nail my top need, I'm leaning Gordon with my top pick.

FCFS just wouldn't be fair in a case like this one.
I think Gordon is causing most leagues with an open WW and FCFS for supplementals to reevaluate the process.
One league we had a rookie draft in May (waivers remain closed), then a free agent auction in June (we do contracts), then shut down waivers until just before week 1. We accumulate blind bids in the interim that process then. Fairly sure I'm going to have to pay more than I'd like to get him.My other one does a vet draft, but not until preseason week 3. We've already disclosed our keepers and had our college draft (10 player college taxi), but cannot make any transactions in the interim. FCFS opens a couple days after the draft. Gordon's actually on a college taxi, so I won't have a shot at him there.I like both setups.

Thanks everyone for the replies on my question. That is right where I was expectign based on the leagues I am in but thought maybe that wasn't the consensus, overall. Apparently it is. To me, he seemed very interchangeably lumped in with the Hills, Jeffery, etc types.

I hold the tenth pick in my rookie draft (12 team, non-ppr, idp, nearly all Browns fans so Gordon and Weeden will go higher than typical fantasy league). If he's there then I would consider him with my pick.I figure the top nine picks will fall off the board something similiar to this:

1. Trent Richardson, RB, Cleveland

2. Doug Martin, RB, Tampa Bay

3. Robert Griffin III, QB, Washington

4. Justin Blackmon, WR, Jacksonville

5. Michael Floyd, WR, Arizona

6. Kendall Wright, WR, Tennessee

7. Andrew Luck, QB, Indianapolis

8. David Wilson, RB, N.Y. Giants

9. Ronnie Hillman, RB, Denver

That would leave the following pool to choose from in no particular order:

Luke Keuchly, LB, Carolina

Robert Turbin, RB, Seattle

Isaiah Pead, RB, St. Louis

Alshon Jeffery, WR, Chicago

Stephen Hill, WR, N.Y. Jets

Brandon Weeden, QB, Cleveland

Chris Rainey, RB, Pittsburgh

And Josh Gordon, WR, Cleveland

I'm loaed at RB and could use a QB with no shot at Luck or RG III but its doubtful Weeden falls in my league.

Based off upside and being unable to nail my top need, I'm leaning Gordon with my top pick.
Gordon could be justified at 9, really can't see any earlier though.

From Schefter mailbag session. He quotes one NFL executive who says Gordon has "Moss-like talents" and another who claims "Gordon is a faster Brandon Marshall."

My link

few days ago, Adam Schefter posted a mailbag session over at ESPN. Nobody must have read it until Wednesday (including myself), because that's when other media outlets picked up on these little nuggets that Schefter had about wide receiver Josh Gordon:

"One NFL executive told me Gordon has Randy Moss-like talents. Another said Gordon is a faster Brandon Marshall. So the talent definitely is there. He gives the Browns a big, downfield threat. But there also are major questions about his maturity, decision-making and determination. Gordon now will have a chance to answer those questions. If he takes his new job seriously and grows up, he can be a big-time difference maker. It's up to him."
OK, thats enough for me.I will definitely be taking him with my top pick if he falls in my rookie draft.

My link

But does he really have rare physical skills? Seriously. People act like 6'3" is rare. It isn't anymore. Over 6' WR's are the norm now. Look at the combine numbers and see how many guys come into the league at this height, weight, speed. Look at the vertical and long jump numbers.I can't speak to game film, but in every measurable EXCEPT his hand measurements (didn't see a wingspan measurement), he's actually not that rare. Nor is the combination that rare. Yet the name Randy Moss gets thrown out there? Go back and look at the scouting reports on M.Sanu and tell me where Gordon comes in as rare. Are there anonymous NFC and AFC front office people comparing Sanu to Randy Moss and Brandon Marshall? Are people missing that he's no bigger or faster (albeit in timed 40) than Greg Little and Little had a better vertical and long jump? Does Little qualify as "rare"?

It sounds as if I am arguing him down. I don't mean to. But there seems to be some hyperbole involved here and I start to get a bit suspicious when the sources are still anonymous after the guy gets drafted. He's already been drafted so why comment anonymously?

I would have to volley that question back to you and ask why do you think Cleveland is a questionable organization in terms of being able to handle players with charector questions?Has their been a problem with any current Browns that you can point out? LB Scott Fujita's issue wasn't when he was with Cleveland. The Browns took DE Jabaal Sheard who had some issues in college and he produced as a rookie. The Browns took DT Phil Taylor in the first round of last year's draft and he produced as a rookie. They also took WR Greg Little who hadn't played for a year due to a suspension for things he did in college and he produced.

Cleveland isn't Detroit or Cincinatti and New England didn't turn around Chad Ocho Cinco so their seems to be a misconception about Cleveland's ability to take rookies who had issues in college and turn them into productive players. The immediate track record in Cleveland is actually pretty good for evaluating college rookies who had issues and then having them produce without issues in the NFL.
Actually, I think they did. Didn't he take the year off from tweeting or somesuch? They can't fix eroding physical ability or the inability to learn a playbook. But then again, maybe Miami will return the Welker favor.

Users who are viewing this thread