What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (9 Viewers)

VikingFrog said:
Traded him away in redraft. Which means only one thing.  Points explosion this weekend for sure and likely the rest of the year.
Nah...I started him this weekend over Cortland Sutton.  9.8  is Gordon's upside this week.

cloppbeast said:
All this depth chart ascension and Bilicheck's comments gives me less confidence in him. Making me worry.
BB wants defenses have to adjust to cover Gordon.  The idea is that will no longer able to double Gronk because it will be death by Gordon. 

Has Gordon ever had a QB that could throw a back shoulder throw? 

I think BB is going to try to force defenses to adjust, which means targets for Gordon.  And if he does anything with them....

It is coming to that time when Gordon is going to be showcased.  This was the perfect landing spot.   

Ellie826 said:
Browns have the most downfield attempts 20+ yards at 37. I’m not sure what the patriots are at because they aren’t top 10 or bottom 10. How many downfield attempts has Brady completed?   I think the Gordon TD was his first of the year. Baker doesn’t have many completions but if you watch the tape, the balls are hitting the receivers in the hands and they are dropping it. Maybe Brady’s deep ball is better than bakers, but what are you basing that on? I haven’t watched Brady’s attempts except for what I saw live but his deep ball does not look as accurate as bakers, who I have watched on game pass.
Good thing Gordon is an every down, every route, every situation WR.

And Brady >>>>>> Mayfield at everything.

And I'm not trying to be a #### about this @Ellie826, but IMO you are way overanalyzing the situation if you are searching for metrics where Mayfield may be better than Brady.

The simple question, that has only one answer, is who do you want throwing to your WR in 2018, Mayfield or Brady?

And I'm not trying to be a #### about this @Ellie826, but IMO you are way overanalyzing the situation if you are searching for metrics where Mayfield may be better than Brady.

The simple question, that has only one answer, is who do you want throwing to your WR in 2018, Mayfield or Brady?
Let’s just agree to disagree. I think Gordon would be getting even more targets in Cleveland with a qb that is willing to throw it deep much more than Brady and is accurate while doing so. Just looking at last weeks plays, Baker should have had a 40 yard td and a 33 yard td but both were dropped. Of course Brady is the better qb but that doesn’t mean his deep ball is better than Mayfield. I’d be willing to bet that Calloway will have more air yards than Gordon ros.

BB wants defenses have to adjust to cover Gordon.  The idea is that will no longer able to double Gronk because it will be death by Gordon. 

Has Gordon ever had a QB that could throw a back shoulder throw? 

I think BB is going to try to force defenses to adjust, which means targets for Gordon.  And if he does anything with them....

It is coming to that time when Gordon is going to be showcased.  This was the perfect landing spot.   
The most secretive coach ever who never says anything now decides to say something. Why does he open his mouth now? 

At least he screwed me out of buying low.

The most secretive coach ever who never says anything now decides to say something. Why does he open his mouth now? 

At least he screwed me out of buying low.
Because he WANTS defenses to shift towards Gordon.  That is what is opening space for the other WRs. He needed a second threat or teams were simply bracketing Gronk. 

There's your answer. It's spelled d. e. c. o. y.
Meh.  I don't think they are "decoying" per se. I think BB absolutely means it and also I think the other coaches know he means it. 

It isn't a secret that (if the Pats have Super Bowl aspirations this year) they need Josh to succeed against double coverage to open up the field for the other players on offense.  Gronk isn't the physical freak he once was.  No one else on the roster demands doubles.  They need him to succeed or IMO teams constructed like the Ravens or Jags will beat them. The Pats stretch the field in different ways.  Everyone tries to do that, but they DO do that very well. 

It is also important, IMO to understand statistical output isn't slices of a pie.  The pie gets bigger for the whole offense when the offense stays on the field. 

So, in that vein, I think Sony Michel plays an important role in the Pats new approach to stretching the field this year.  That Michel and Gordon will replace the Cooks/Blount paradigm.  On paper, they are both upgrades. 

They are what we think they are.  This team looks poised for a run to me. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Let’s just agree to disagree. I think Gordon would be getting even more targets in Cleveland with a qb that is willing to throw it deep much more than Brady and is accurate while doing so. Just looking at last weeks plays, Baker should have had a 40 yard td and a 33 yard td but both were dropped. Of course Brady is the better qb but that doesn’t mean his deep ball is better than Mayfield. I’d be willing to bet that Calloway will have more air yards than Gordon ros.
You may be right but its really just academic at this point.  I have no shares of Josh anymore but I do own Cooks in dynasty.   I'd rather have him paired with Goff for the long haul (so I get your point). 

Gordon is in New England and being paired with Brady isn't the worst thing...  The opportunity for Gordon to claim a bigger share of their passing game seems higher than it has been historically for other players.   Whether its health or cumulative wear & tear, neither Gronk or Edelman seems to be the lock they were a couple years ago.

I'm rooting for Gordon from a human interest perspective. I'd like to see him in a winning environment and playing up to his abilities while beating his substance abuse issues.   Long odds?  Sure, we've seen other guys fail time and time again.  Potentially great story that could unfold.

I do agree with you that Gordon would have had more targets had he remained in Cleveland. I stated as much up thread. 

But I don't understand why you are choosing to focus on one limited, low percentage aspect of football. Okay Gordon may have had more deep opportunities in Cleveland.

Gordon may be the best deep threat in football (maybe, but it has been a long time since we have seen that) but he isn't a one trick pony.

He is is a far, far better situation in New England.

Bigboy10182000 said:
It’s now or never
Meh.  This is going to get interesting for sure, but I don't think this is a make or break game for Josh Gordon.  This is a big game for the Patriots.  They aren't going to lose because of Josh Gordon.  But, if they win, there is a good chance he will have played a significant role.  And Gordon is allegedly finally feeling healthy.

Josh Gordon (questionable, hamstring) is expected to play against the Bears in Week 7.

Gordon has been healthy for weeks, though the Patriots continue to list him on their injury report. The ex-Brown drew a season-high nine targets in Week 6 and should see another robust workload Sunday in Chicago, especially with Rob Gronkowski (back, ankle) sitting.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Oct 21 - 8:13 AM

People who dislike Gordon or have been burned by him don't pay attention to the fact that he's been sober for well over a year now and won't acknowledge this had nothing to do with drugs.   The Browns haven't turned things around completely yet, but they were an absolute dumpster fire between 2013 and 2016.

• First, Gordon missed 2 years and wasn't worth a roster spot.  Wrong.
  • Then it was, "He's skipping some training camp to get "treatment" and that MUST mean a suspension is coming.  Wrong.
  • Then it was, "See, the Browns are releasing him so it MUST be about drugs.  He's done.  Wrong.
  • Then it was, "Yeah, no way he's traded.  Who'd want this bum?"  Wrong.
  • Then it was, "OK, he might get traded to some stupid team." Wrong.
  • Then it was, "Fine, he's going to be traded, but it won't be to the Patriots - that'd be perfect, but they're too smart for that"  Wrong.
  • Now it's, "So he's traded to the Patriots.  He won't last there.  Not enough discipline and too dumb to learn the playbook!"  Well, the Patriots think that's wrong.
Look, if he's on the field, he'll be good.  I think anyone can agree with that.  The only reason to think he won't be is if you assume he'll suffer a relapse, and that's been looking less and less likely since 2016.  Doesn't mean it can't happen, but the fact that he sought help just to prepare for the season (and likely avoid Hard Knocks) speaks VOLUMES about how seriously he's taking this chance.  I don't even know how much I believe the whole thing about being late for meetings... based on what I've heard, I don't know that I believe a whole lot that comes from Cleveland media about the Browns, because they're just trying to shape public opinion in support of the team.  

People should root for the guy, because the league will be better if he's in it and performing well.
I guess I should add that it's now, "Fine, he's on the Patriots and his role is growing every week, he's earning Brady's trust, and he's already the primary read on a lot of pass plays. But he'll never be a stud again and he'd have been better on the Browns!"

He's only been on the roster for 4 weeks, and he's made a ton of progress in those 4 weeks. Today might be another big step in the right direction, might not, but he's going to have increasing value as long as he's often the primary read for Brady and the one WR on that roster who can make plays downfield.

Offense has barely been in the field.
Meh. Regardless he hasn't been a big part of the game plan so far. Had a nice catch over a defender, otherwise looks like he is being used more as a decoy to open things up for Edelman & Hogan.

#### like that happens with New England. :shrug:

Surprised NE hadn’t had Gordon on crossing routes. You would think that would get him a lot more yards after catch than he’s been getting.

But Brady looks like crap. If he doesn't have forever in the pocket and a wide open throw or dump off he's not doing much. 
Yeah I also thought Brady looks more like a Captain Checkdown. But his 68% completions and 7.5 y/a aren't far from normal. In fact it's right on par with 2012-2015. So maybe I'm wrong.

But I still hate James White.

He def ran out of gas on the long catch. If the reports are true that he didn’t start running full speed until late last week then I guess it isn’t surprising that he wouldn’t be 100% conditioned. He would have had almost a month of not being full go in practice.

Chaka said:
Yeah I also thought Brady looks more like a Captain Checkdown. But his 68% completions and 7.5 y/a aren't far from normal. In fact it's right on par with 2012-2015. So maybe I'm wrong.

But I still hate James White.
Just start him in dfs every week and you'll like him.

You can really tell Gordon is not healthy on that 55 yd catch and run a healthy Gordon scores easily there he looked like a wounded deer running down the field

Awfully quiet in here I would have thought his performance would generate at least a little discussion.

I see it as another step forward. Anyone have a different opinion?

Awfully quiet in here I would have thought his performance would generate at least a little discussion.

The haters are hiding.  They liked when they could take shots at him.  Now that he is starting to post 100 yard games - silence. 

I am an owner (lover) not a hater, but when i watched his 55 yarder he did look hobbled.  This is concerning to me as he has had hamstring issues for awhile now this year.

He's a talented player & I think he's got the substance abuse under control, but he's always been a knucklehead in addition.  If he keeps it all together, he will be a great addition for the Pats.  Here in Cleveland, most people agree that he ran out of second/third/fourth chances.  All in all, he's already (it seems) won the big battle.  Now, just eliminate the silly nonsense...

Users who are viewing this thread