What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (7 Viewers)

I don't own Gordon in any league, but from what I've seen he seems like the most under utilized player in football.

Gordon should basically be their version of DeAndre Hopkins but they treat him like their Mohammed Sanu

If they do, I won’t be keeping him for sure. Send him back to the browns. They need a deep threat.
He’s basically a wr2 with high-end wr1 upside on any given week.  Assuming this is a dyno league with 10+ keepers, who else do you have on your roster that you would choose 10 keepers over Gordon?

Lol is this your way of saying you’d rather keep any player in the nfl starting in alphabetical order over Gordon?  BC your link was to a list of every player in the nfl.  That’s a bit harsh but ok.  To each their own!  
:thumbup:

Please show your work when you say he’s a wr2! With high wr1 upside  that’s a bit generous imo

Really hard to guess at this point his value for next year. There seems to be some mystery as to where Gordon falls in the time served / contract status system. Most places have him listed as an RFA in 2019 but a couple of people say he might still be considered an ERFA due to his leave of absence from the Browns in training camp to start the season.

Edelman could be gone. Gronk could be gone. McDaniels could be gone. If NE were to somehow win the SB, Brady could even be gone. NE could bring in another high profile WR and/or draft someone. The drafting someone probably isn't that concerning given that NE can't draft receivers to save their collective lives. The point being, there could be a lot of new faces in town. One would think that with a full off season and training camp that Gordon would have more time to learn the playbook. Normally I would say that having an off season to work with Brady would also help, but Brady has made it clear that he values family time over practice time these days.

For leagues with very few keepers, not sure Gordon is worth keeping. In dynasty formats, people that hung on to him this long are unlikely to move him. In 0 PPR and 1 PPR leagues, since Week 5 Gordon ranks 22nd in ppg. I doubt he should be considered a WR1 next year. I would guess he should be valued as an average WR2 for 2019 if he stays on NE. From what I have seen from him this year, he doesn't appear to be the same player that took the league by storm five years ago. Maybe he is banged up some or NE isn't using him properly, but I am not sure I would rank him much higher even on a different team.

He’s basically a wr2 with high-end wr1 upside on any given week.  Assuming this is a dyno league with 10+ keepers, who else do you have on your roster that you would choose 10 keepers over Gordon?
I own Gordon and want him to do well - but you can say the bolded about almost any WR really. Gordon has not come close to high-end WR1 numbers since joining the Pats and in an offense that spreads it around with a QB that has trouble throwing deep I don't think it's very realistic to expect it. Of course there may be a week where it could happen.

rickyg said:
We only get 2 keepers. Gordon for a 10th vs Aaron jones for a 6th. The upside doesn’t seem high for Gordon. Low targets with gronk healthy and a qb who doesn’t have it on deep balls.

is anyone concerned with his declining snap count?

it peaked at 95% in week 7. hovered in the low 80s for a few weeks.

then 76% & 65% the last two weeks and only 8 total targets.

he's been in my starting lineup for a bit but i'm feeling less optimistic about that decision this week than i have in week's past.

he's been in my starting lineup for a bit but i'm feeling less optimistic about that decision this week than i have in week's past.
Wow. Didn't know that. Something to think about for the weekend.

I think it had to do with the game plan against Vikings, knowing their defensive plan to take away Patriots' receivers.  Even Josh McDaniels acknowledge this after decisive win over Vikings.

Wow. Didn't know that. Something to think about for the weekend.

i noticed in that 4 catch, 12 target game before the bye he started getting pulled quite a bit in 2 wide receiver sets as the game progressed and so i kept my eye on it.

it's not the "trend" we want to see, but to me he's still obviously their best downfield weapon. perhaps with gronk gimpy, they're just being overly cautious?

Sounds like Xavien Howard will be out next week for Miami.  

I didn’t like Gordon this week until this development.  Miami’s pass D had been soft but not so much on deep balls, more dink and dunk stuff.  Theyve  actually given up more passing yards to RBs this season than Tampa Bay.

Strong likelihood Gordon was going to get a Howard shadow this week and he would have shut him down IMO.  Now I’d see Gordon as a borderline WR1

Sounds like Xavien Howard will be out next week for Miami.  

I didn’t like Gordon this week until this development.  Miami’s pass D had been soft but not so much on deep balls, more dink and dunk stuff.  Theyve  actually given up more passing yards to RBs this season than Tampa Bay.

Strong likelihood Gordon was going to get a Howard shadow this week and he would have shut him down IMO.  Now I’d see Gordon as a borderline WR1
I don't view Gordon as a #1 this week because, well he's been a #2/3 all season (to be fair he has been WR22 since week 5 in my league). More importantly the Pats offense simply isn't designed to feature a WR with Gordon's skill set (see Cooks, Brandin) and Brady definitely looks to be going through a decline in ability, of which deeper balls were never a primary aspect.  Additionally Brady has a very poor history playing at Miami (at least in December). I like Gordon to do pretty much what he has done all year with New England, moderate production that helps New England win but likely not be a difference maker (or breaker) for fantasy teams.

I don't view Gordon as a #1 this week because, well he's been a #2/3 all season (to be fair he has been WR22 since week 5 in my league). More importantly the Pats offense simply isn't designed to feature a WR with Gordon's skill set (see Cooks, Brandin) and Brady definitely looks to be going through a decline in ability, of which deeper balls were never a primary aspect.  Additionally Brady has a very poor history playing at Miami (at least in December). I like Gordon to do pretty much what he has done all year with New England, moderate production that helps New England win but likely not be a difference maker (or breaker) for fantasy teams.
This is the week that he finally steps up and warrants a start

rolling him out over Boyd Carson and ware

damn im an idiot 

So you are planning on keeping Josh Gordon over Josh Gordon?

I'm not sure you understand how this works...
I don’t own Gordon.  You can play him as WR1 weekly if you want but hes putting up WR2 numbers with NE and tends to have upside with soft matchups.  Miami isn’t that kind of matchup for Gordon if Howard plays.

Good example is the Minnesota game last week.  Complete dud of a game for Gordon until both of the Vikings starting CBs happen to be off the field, one with a concussion and the other with a reduced snap count due to hamstring issues.

If that game doesn’t convince you that opposing CB injuries don’t affect Gordon’s performance then I’m probably not the one that doesn’t know how this works. 

I'm playing some dude named Zay over him.
I wouldn’t.

You can’t look at Josh Gordon in a vacuum. He got off to a late start with the Browns due to his off the field issues. Then he pulled a hamstring and was traded to the Patriots where he had to learn a difficult offensive system... In my opinion he is finally hitting his stride and the Patriots are starting to use him organically in their system. With Edelman and Gronk  being a step or two slower I think there is a chance that Josh Gordon starts to really establish his place in New England going forward. I think he is a difference maker down the stretch.

I don’t own Gordon.  You can play him as WR1 weekly if you want but hes putting up WR2 numbers with NE and tends to have upside with soft matchups.  Miami isn’t that kind of matchup for Gordon if Howard plays.

Good example is the Minnesota game last week.  Complete dud of a game for Gordon until both of the Vikings starting CBs happen to be off the field, one with a concussion and the other with a reduced snap count due to hamstring issues.

If that game doesn’t convince you that opposing CB injuries don’t affect Gordon’s performance then I’m probably not the one that doesn’t know how this works. 
:lmao:

dude, it was a joke. Chill.

i was just pointing out that Josh Gordon would be on a full list of nfl players, so replacing Josh Gordon with everyone on a complete list of NFL players doesn’t make sense (because Josh Gordon can’t replace Josh Gordon).

He definitely ended up in the best spot possible for him personally IMO. It will be interesting what happens after this season. Hopefully he can continue to keep the peace and start dominating on the field again.

ALMOST every time I've sat a guy because of weather it bit me in the a$$. If you have Gordon you did it for a reason. You got anyone else better? 
Gurley lindsey ware Thompson? Boyd Sutton hill  Carson Connelly?

pretty much everyone on the roster

BoltNlava said:
ALMOST every time I've sat a guy because of weather it bit me in the a$$. If you have Gordon you did it for a reason. You got anyone else better? 
Not really. I'd be picking up Pettis and throwing him in.

i know i was pretty much the only person worried about it, but josh gordon played 87% of the snaps yesterday.

nice to see him on the field a lot. hoping for a monster game next week!
Hopefully! 

And it is good to see that he played that many snaps yesterday. 

Users who are viewing this thread