What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (6 Viewers)

I really hope people aren’t thinking he will be back after this year. I’m not sure of the exact rules in place but “indefinite suspension” sure sounds like a nice way of saying you’re not banned from the NFL but you’re certainly not playing again. 

You don't have enough other less risky players you like to root for?  Common man.  

BTW, if your answer is yes, I guess you won't be playing anymore or chatting on a FF message board anymore (I assume that would be boring to).  Hate to see you go, but boring is boring after all
No, I'll be here, no doubt. There will be other people to debate, and I generally won't draft them. Just found Josh compelling, and this, to me, is sad.  

Anyone holding in dynasty? I think I'm about to drop him for Malcolm Brown or something.
cutting him in dynasty before he's actually indefinitely suspended is kind of dumb, isn't it?

As of right now we have an unsubstantiated report (for not the first time) that he is facing an impending suspension without any verification of the truth of that report.

Everyone said he was going to be suspended when he stayed away from camp, too. He wasn't.

cutting him in dynasty before he's actually indefinitely suspended is kind of dumb, isn't it?

As of right now we have an unsubstantiated report (for not the first time) that he is facing an impending suspension without any verification of the truth of that report.

Everyone said he was going to be suspended when he stayed away from camp, too. He wasn't.
It's on NFL.com. I'm pretty comfortable dropping him.

It's on NFL.com. I'm pretty comfortable dropping him.
the NFL.com article is just using the most attention grabbing headline. It uses the same single unverified tweet to say that he is facing suspension everything else is.

It is literally one tweet saying "a source says that he is facing suspension".

It can be true, but sources have said that a few times already this year in the past.

No, I'll be here, no doubt. There will be other people to debate, and I generally won't draft them. Just found Josh compelling, and this, to me, is sad.  
Yep. Same for  Justin Blackmon. And I don't even play FF anymore.

( came here for the Soulfly schadenfreude. Can't find it.   :kicksrock:   )

Why is it so many on here talk about addiction as a disease to explain Josh's problem, but didn't make the connection to, I should trade Josh before the disease strikes again and his value goes to zero?

When a time bomb is ticking, do you stay with it, or run away as fast as possible?  Maybe hindsight will make it clear?
Anyone with sense hasn’t owned him for years.

Yep. Same for  Justin Blackmon. And I don't even play FF anymore.

( came here for the Soulfly schadenfreude. Can't find it.   :kicksrock:   )
Fun fact I learned today after looking at Blackmon's Wikipedia page: He is still technically on the Jags' roster, despite not having played for them since 2013.

update 0/0/0

Get well Josh.  I hope you have a good life.

For the rest of you suckers that kept holding on and didn't cash out when the opportunities presented themselves.  Your value in that stock is now permanently zero.  Just like Josh's stats going forward.  No you don't get to enjoy the upside.  No you don't get to trade him for anything.  You get zero.  You were warned over and over and over, but you held out. "He has wr1 upside", "The patriot organization will give him the support he needs", "He hasn't had any issues in years".....blah blah blah.  You get ZERO
Holy Christ take a deep breath. It’s just fantasy football dude. 

Says the guy with over 49k posts lol

FYI, I was talking about FF....dude

and I was having fun doing it...dude

maybe you are being too serious ….dude
You lost out as well, no? Wasn't JG the one guy you were touting your "model" on for predicting fantasy points?

Sigh any news on JG always ends in name calling and pointless arguments. Let it go already - no matter what side you’re on you’re losing. 

NFL suspended Patriots WR Josh Gordon indefinitely for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

He's been placed on the reserve/commissioner suspended list, effective immediately. It's unclear what substance he tested positive for, though Gordon's struggles with both drugs and alcohol are well-documented. We've lost count of how many times Gordon has been suspended for substance abuse violations, though his latest ban could be a career-ender. Despite numerous second chances, the talented 27-year-old has yet to quiet his inner demons. While it's frustrating Gordon has squandered what could have been a remarkable career, his struggles with addiction are far bigger than football. Whether he returns to the NFL or not, we truly help Gordon gets the help he needs to turn his life around.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Time to wrap up this story from a FF perspective. 
Sadly you have seemed positively giddy relishing the failures of a fellow human being throughout this thread. I think you should just drop posting in this thread and try to regain some semblance of dignity you may have had at one time.

update 0/0/0

Get well Josh.  I hope you have a good life.

For the rest of you suckers that kept holding on and didn't cash out when the opportunities presented themselves.  Your value in that stock is now permanently zero.  Just like Josh's stats going forward.  No you don't get to enjoy the upside.  No you don't get to trade him for anything.  You get zero.  You were warned over and over and over, but you held out. "He has wr1 upside", "The patriot organization will give him the support he needs", "He hasn't had any issues in years".....blah blah blah.  You get ZERO

"He is a difference maker"...you were right on this one!!!  2.9 points in weeks 15 and 16 will make a big difference if you were lucky enough to make he playoffs....and here, I thought you all meant he would make a difference with high (no pun intended) scores.  Who new you were predicting this?

Hate to say I told you so...….no I don't.

Soulfly once again you were very wrong.  My guess is you have been proven very wrong for the final time in this thread.....At least I hope so
My goodness.  I didn't understand addiction until my best friend battled it himself.  In spite of my ignorance, I was a good support person and friend throughout and I pray that you never have a family member or a friend deal with this disease.  

I am not gloating "because you think an addict used again is pretty awful"  I am laughing at the people who lost value because they ignored or miscalculated the risk that an addict could use again.

I get it.  You are bitter because you are one of them.

"This is one instance where being right should make you feel kind of crappy and not want to gloat about it, isn't it?"

My brain is capable of being sad for Josh the person, and yet at the same time finding the decisions that others made in FF funny.  I hope that isn't too hard for you to understand
I didn’t lose anything, he’s already benched.

this is kind of like celebrating when someone is injured. It’s good that you “win”, but the amount of gloating and celebrating you should do is greatly limited.

its just better not to.

Says the guy with over 49k posts lol

FYI, I was talking about FF....dude

and I was having fun doing it...dude

maybe you are being too serious ….dude
This is like the people who get personally mad at players and coaches because they lost their fantasy playoffs for them.

its just too far.

Thank you Soulfly for one of the most exhausting threads in this forum. It has been a long road with many ups and downs...and you have made it entertaining with your passion and unwavering belief of Josh Gordon. I commend you and am sorry for this setback as it appears to be over now. I look forward to following new journeys of yours but fear nothing will come close to this one. 

The NFL approach to SUD is so hopelessly antiquated that I can hardly wrap my head around it.

It's as if it's specifically designed to HARM as many players as possible.

Evidence-based interventions indicate that the harm-reduction approach is essential for promoting health of those suffering from SUD, so this would appear to be the opposite.

Perhaps one day the NFL will move into the 21st century.

Bazinga! said:
Not once have I done that, but I will add you to the group that tried to twist that logic.  I have said numerous times, I am sad for, or wish him the best, etc when it comes to Gordon the man.  My relishing is in how so many of you were wrong, insulted me for my position on Gordon the FF asset, or predicted huge results from him, and got zero.

Huge difference, but stick with your strawman if you must.
Saw someone say the following in another topic and thread:

”If you have to say you aren't, chances are it applies.  Anyone who truly wasn't would just laugh and let it go.”

Seems like you never had any dignity to begin with. Must suck being you.

There are a lot of angry Gordon owners lol
I don't see that. I see a lot of people disappointed that he didn't defy the odds to have a memorable comeback. I see a lot of people who wish him well and want him to get better. I see a lot of people who think the NFL has a 1920's mentality when it comes to marijuana.

Let's face it--Josh Gordon wasn't that good this year. If you had him he was riding your bench or more likely, you aren't playing in any meaningful matches this weekend.

@rockaction may be many things, but "common man" isn't one of them. 
What's sad about this is that I try to be common these days, and find myself uncommon. So that may be a compliment in these times.  YMMV.

eta* But I took your post with the best of heart, ConnSKINS26. I honestly read it as a compliment.   

Last edited by a moderator:
What's sad about this is that I try to be common these days, and find myself uncommon. So that may be a compliment in these times.  YMMV.

eta* But I took your post with the best of heart, ConnSKINS26. I honestly read it as a compliment.   

It was meant as a compliment! I vaguely remember clashing years ago, possibly. I read your posts now and find a unique perspective worth considering, here and in the FFA/PSF. 

I'm just gonna make this one comment I've made before. Some personalities just can't handle being on a stage like the NFL or other places with big coverage on individuals. I thinks it's more then obvious do to Gordon's addictive personality the NFL is not a good place for him to be for his own mental and physical health. 

In other words someone in Gordon's camp needs to make the right decision and tell him he needs to be out of the NFL for good. 

He’s the Pats’ leading receiver in just 12 games and he has 18 ypr.
Yeah, and that was with Edelman suspended four games and Gronk having a dismal season. In ppr he broke 20 points once. Brought anywhere from 12-14 per game less than half the games he played, once he got on the field. A disappointment production-wise, but worth hanging in with him hoping he'd regain some semblance of what we knew he once was.

I wanted him to succeed more as a person than a player, and I'm sad that all the work he put in to get sober was for naught. I thought he was going to do it with Brady and the Pats support, but it wasn't to be.

In other words someone in Gordon's camp needs to make the right decision and tell him he needs to be out of the NFL for good. 
I keep hearing this, and it may be true, but none of us has any idea what's going on in Gordon's head or what he needs. It may well be that if he had never made it to the NFL he'd be dead now. I feel like that sentiment is more a reflection of people who are sick of thinking about the whole issue and want to be done with him (which is a totally understandable response, BTW).

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. Whether it's good for him or not, he will almost certainly be out of the NFL from now on and will need to figure out his life accordingly.

I'm just gonna make this one comment I've made before. Some personalities just can't handle being on a stage like the NFL or other places with big coverage on individuals. I thinks it's more then obvious do to Gordon's addictive personality the NFL is not a good place for him to be for his own mental and physical health. 
While you are likely correct on that, his issues reportedly started back in middle school and followed to HS and college. Long before the bright lights and pressure of the NFL. So I suspect those things (pressure, spotlight, etc) don't help, but I am not sure removing NFL football from the equation does him a lot of good. I think he would/will struggle each day whether there is football on his schedule or not. Any relief he may experience with the pressure of pro ball lifted is likely offset by the added anxiety of not knowing what he's going to do from here.

Would be curious to know if he really got into substance abuse so young to cope with legit mental issues (self medicating, if you will) or if that is just what him and his crew did because it was easier doing gang stuff while goofed-up on something. After years of abusing chemicals, he probably doesn't feel "right" unless he's stoned. I can buy that. But did the mental health issues help lead him down that road or are they kind of a symptom now that he's got several years of substance abuse under his belt? Maybe its moot at this point. But if we could go back in time and meet the middle school Josh Gordon, what would we find? A young person with legit mental health issues that turned to drugs/alcohol to cope or someone from a broken environment who lacked structure/direction, ran with a bad crowd, and got into substance abuse because that's what they did? Either way, what a waste.

I keep hearing this, and it may be true, but none of us has any idea what's going on in Gordon's head or what he needs. It may well be that if he had never made it to the NFL he'd be dead now. I feel like that sentiment is more a reflection of people who are sick of thinking about the whole issue and want to be done with him (which is a totally understandable response, BTW).

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. Whether it's good for him or not, he will almost certainly be out of the NFL from now on and will need to figure out his life accordingly.
Based on what I understand of his youth, I think its extremely likely he'd be in jail or dead if not for football. I re-read this article on him yesterday. Bad news almost from the get-go. Of course, that's if you can believe everything he says.

Agree re: second bolded.

Users who are viewing this thread