Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Matt Waldman

Josh Gordon Everything Thread

3 hours ago, Moniker said:

Really? I'd be shocked if the Saints didn't put in a claim for him. I'd also be more shocked if he made it that far in the waiver order.

3 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

Why? He's cheap and teams could get a compensatory pick down the road.

Because any team that claims him has to open up a roster spot, hope he can get the playbook down while not ending up suspended. 

And what kind of comp pick are we even thinking is worth that? A 6 or 7? This dude is beyond a meaningful deal from any team.  The fantasy community is way higher on him than NFL teams IMO

Edited by Bigboy10182000
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

Because any team that claims him has to open up a roster spot, hope he can get the playbook down while not ending up suspended. 

And what kind of comp pick are we even thinking is worth that? A 6 or 7? This dude is beyond a meaningful deal from any team.  The fantasy community is way higher on him than NFL teams IMO

This could definitely be true. Fortunately we get to find out tomorrow. I dropped an over-bearded kicker to roster him overnight to see what happens.

9 hours ago, Moniker said:

Really? I'd be shocked if the Saints didn't put in a claim for him. I'd also be more shocked if he made it that far in the waiver order.

Talent wise sounds perfect. In terms of what he needs as a person, er probably not good.

13 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

Teams could essentially buy themselves a compensatory pick for a $1 million. Someone will pick him up earlier than the true contenders. My guess is on one of the 3-4 teams (CHI, OAK, PIT).

A comp pick? What kind of contract do you think he signs this offseason? Does the team signing him now, sign no one else?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Did he pass through waivers unclaimed?

Teams have until 4 pm today to put in a claim.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

A comp pick? What kind of contract do you think he signs this offseason? Does the team signing him now, sign no one else?

He could offset a different pick they would otherwise have lost.  Opportunity cost and all.

7 hours ago, Don Hutson said:

Gordon should go to a team next year that has a strong armed quarterback who  not as risk averse as Brady.  A good offensive line would also help allow him to run deeper routes.

8 hours ago, Faust said:

As a Gordon owner, my perfect landing spot for him would be Green Bay (also on this list)... and on paper it looks like an ideal setup.  However, I have been to Green Bay and am convinced there is nothing to do there but eat Cheese Curds and smoke weed.  Gordon doesn't seem like a cheese curd guy.  For his sake and the longevity of his career... I hope he goes somewhere wtih a support system to keep him off the Devil's Lettuce.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Dan said:

nobody is getting a comp pick for josh gordon

Compensatory picks are based on annual contract value. Here is a list of the free agent signings and what picks they are projected for in the 2020 draft . . .

Jamison Crowder - $9.5 million - 4
John Brown - $9 million - 4
Cole Beasley - $7.25 million - 5
Cordarrelle Patterson - $5 million - 6

Here is the list of what players actually qualified for from the 2019 draft . . .

Sammy Watkins - $15.8 million - 3
Donte Montcrief - $9.6 million - 4
Taylor Gabriel - $6.5 million - 5
Danny Amendola - $6 million - 5
Ryan Grant - $5 million - 6

You don't think Gordon could sign even a one year deal somewhere that would pay him enough to qualify for a compensatory pick?

46 minutes ago, TVT 0 N S T A said:

As a Gordon owner, my perfect landing spot for him would be Green Bay (also on this list)... and on paper it looks like an ideal setup.  However, I have been to Green Bay and am convinced there is nothing to do there but eat Cheese Curds and smoke weed.  Gordon doesn't seem like a cheese curd guy.  For his sake and the longevity of his career... I hope he goes somewhere wtih a support system to keep him off the Devil's Lettuce.

Everyone's a cheese curd guy after smoking some weed.

According to a friend.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JohnnyU said:

How many times is he going to remain relevant? 

To the league or to fantasy conversations?  I'm a big fan of Gordon's.  I think he was dealt a bad hand with the marijuana thing and I have never understood the league's stance on the drug.  We would rather get people addicted to opioids than allow them to manage their pain/anxiety through smoking some weed.  

Fantasy relevance will remain, so long as he is a talented 28 year old wide receiver with potential.  

2 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

How many times is he going to remain relevant? 

Once. For a year. But that will likely be enough for people / teams to think that he can be that player again.

Stories coming out of NE now that (allegedly) JG was late to meetings, was hard to locate, may not have gone all out in practice, and had developed a questionable work ethic. Who knows how valid those claims are.

According to PFF, of the 70 receivers that had at least 30 targets this season, they ranked Gordon 58th.

50 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Once. For a year. But that will likely be enough for people / teams to think that he can be that player again.

Stories coming out of NE now that (allegedly) JG was late to meetings, was hard to locate, may not have gone all out in practice, and had developed a questionable work ethic. Who knows how valid those claims are.

According to PFF, of the 70 receivers that had at least 30 targets this season, they ranked Gordon 58th.

Frankly, I''m getting tired of JG.

3 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

Compensatory picks are based on annual contract value. Here is a list of the free agent signings and what picks they are projected for in the 2020 draft . . .

Jamison Crowder - $9.5 million - 4
John Brown - $9 million - 4
Cole Beasley - $7.25 million - 5
Cordarrelle Patterson - $5 million - 6

Here is the list of what players actually qualified for from the 2019 draft . . .

Sammy Watkins - $15.8 million - 3
Donte Montcrief - $9.6 million - 4
Taylor Gabriel - $6.5 million - 5
Danny Amendola - $6 million - 5
Ryan Grant - $5 million - 6

You don't think Gordon could sign even a one year deal somewhere that would pay him enough to qualify for a compensatory pick?

If the team that gave him up signed no one in FA, sure. How big do you think his contract will be? And will the team thay let's him walk sign no one?

2 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

If the team that gave him up signed no one in FA, sure. How big do you think his contract will be? And will the team thay let's him walk sign no one?

Looking at what free agents WR’s have been getting (and the names on that list), someone will probably offer him a one year deal for $8-10 million. 

Compensatory picks are awarded based on net adds and losses. It’s impossible at this point to speculate if he could turn into a pick but he would be used in the pick determination process. So depending upon what he signs for, he could be spotted at the 4th or 5th round level in the pick determination formula. 

4 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Looking at what free agents WR’s have been getting (and the names on that list), someone will probably offer him a one year deal for $8-10 million. 

Compensatory picks are awarded based on net adds and losses. It’s impossible at this point to speculate if he could turn into a pick but he would be used in the pick determination process. So depending upon what he signs for, he could be spotted at the 4th or 5th round level in the pick determination formula. 

one year 8-10 million is absurd. Guy hasnt played 16 games since 2012, with substance abuse problems, mental illness, and wasnt very effective on the Patriots- where presumed turd wrs go to have exceptional seasons

Furthermore, the fact that NE let him walk when he could be a compensation pick speaks volumes to me; they are the masters at manipulating the comp pick system

Edited by Dr. Dan

38 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

one year 8-10 million is absurd. Guy hasnt played 16 games since 2012, with substance abuse problems, mental illness, and wasnt very effective on the Patriots- where presumed turd wrs go to have exceptional seasons

Furthermore, the fact that NE let him walk when he could be a compensation pick speaks volumes to me; they are the masters at manipulating the comp pick system

What WR are getting is absurd. Guys like Amendola and Gabriel were $6 million a year and Moncrief and Crowder were $9-10 million. Even $6 million a year wold get a credit of a fifth round pick in the compensatory ledger. 

It only takes one team to think Gordon can return to his glory days in Cleveland. I don’t think the risk of suspension would be a deal breaker. If he gets suspended, the team doesn’t have to pay him. There are plenty of dumb teams out there. Teams like the Bengals, Raiders, or Redskins come to mind. I wouldn’t go to great lengths to sign him, but I am not an NFL GM. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TVT 0 N S T A said:

You sell Green Bay and all of Wisconsin short.  There is also drunk driving, particularly on ice, ice fishing, bowling, and hogging. 

31 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

You sell Green Bay and all of Wisconsin short.  There is also drunk driving, particularly on ice, ice fishing, bowling, and hogging. 

Go on.....

20 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Bears can't use the ones they have now, Oakland and Pittsburgh I can see. 

I don't see Gordon doing much better than 50-60 yds a week no matter where he ends up. 

Gordon would be a perfect fit for the Bears. He'd pretend to get open and Trubisky would pretend he was looking for him.

Gordon said to have been claimed and will not become a free agent. Team is waiting to announce the signing to let the player losing his roster spot know first.

A team has claimed him 

GB could be a nice one... get a few games out of him. The rest of their WRs have been pretty pedestrian, aside from Lazard doing ok for a game or two. Gordon would compliment Adams well

Edited by Dr. Dan

2 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Patriots gain $1 million in salary cap space.

They were over with the Sanu trade.

Just now, hooter311 said:

They were over with the Sanu trade.

Can't be over the salary cap. They re-worked Shaq Mason's contract to get under the cap.

• Like 1

Giants not the team. By my research, MIA, DAL, OAK, PHI, ATL, BUF, WAS, NYG, KC all out so far.

Edited by Anarchy99

Ravens would be awesome.  Especially a few days before they face New England - thats a bonus - but they could really also use him in that offense.

By my research, MIA, DAL, OAK, PHI, ATL, BUF, WAS, NYG, KC, TEN, TB all out so far.

Edited by Anarchy99

Have the Bengals been ruled out?

-----------------------------------------------------

Chris Roling‏ @Chris_Roling

Bengals were second...

Safid Deen  💯 💯 💯 💯Verified account @Safid_Deen

WR Josh Gordon may have been claimed on Friday. But not by the #Dolphins, who had first dibs on the waiver wire https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-josh-gordon-20191101-3omkblkierewvcaj3wpi46mxsu-story.html …

1:28 PM - 1 Nov 2019

Schefter tweeting it was the Bills, which goes against other tweets I have seen.

EDIT TO ADD: Seems like a bogus Schefter account, so scratch that.

Edited by Anarchy99

By my research, MIA, DAL, OAK, PHI, ATL, BUF, WAS, NYG, KC, TEN, TB, NOS, CHI, LAC all out so far.
We may get there by eliminating the teams before we get an announcement from the actual team.

Edited by Anarchy99

4 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

By my research, MIA, DAL, OAK, PHI, ATL, BUF, WAS, NYG, KC, TEN, TB, NOS, CHI all out so far.

I also saw not LAC

Edited by whole-show

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 40s40 seconds ago

More

The #Seahawks have claimed former #Patriots WR Josh Gordon, source said. QB Russell Wilson gets his wish.

• Like 2