What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mark Sanchez (1 Viewer)

GoodLloydHaveMercy

Footballguy
I'm certainly not calling Sanchez a stud QB by any means (in fantasy or by NFL standards) but he came out in the draft in the same yr as Stafford and was drafted at #5 overall IIRC... his numbers surprisingly to me aren't dis-similar to Eli Manning's numbers from just a few yrs ago when Eli was in HIS third season at the age of 25 (just like Sanchez last yr) That doesn't mean that I am projecting Sanchez to become the Eli of today but I also think he has shown the talent to be able to progress to that point if given the opportunity to do so.

per profootballreference.com

Eli in 2006 in his 3rd season (age 25) in 522 pass attempts...

8-8 team record

57.7 completion %

3244 yds

24 TDs

18 INTs

6.2 Yds per Attempted pass

25 Sacks (or roughly 1 less sack per game)

9 Fumbles (1 fewer than Sanchez)

77 QB Rating

2 4th Quarter Comebacks

2 Game Winning Drives

0 Rushing TDs

*of note... this was Tiki Barber's 2127 yds from scrimmage season

Sanchez in 2011 in his 3rd season (age 25) in 543 pass attempts...

8-8 team record

56.7 completion %

3474 yds

26 TDs

18 INTs

6.4 Yds per Attempted pass

39 Sacks (or just under 1 more sack per game)

10 Fumbles (1 more than Eli)

78.2 QB Rating

4 4th Quarter Comebacks

4 Game Winning Drives

6 Rushing TDs

*of note... this was Shonn Greene's 1265 yds from scrimmage season

*of note... Sanchez was tied for the team lead with 6 rushing TDs... a number I expect to drop with the addition of Tebow.

So what are your thoughts? I realize this is a fantasy football website but I'm just curious as to the Shark Pool's opinion on Sanchize as a long term NFL answer somewhere/anywhere or just a forever unrealized QB talent in the NFL due to situation and a head coach's indifference to the QB position? What is his value in a dynasty start 1 QB league this yr? In future years?

How is the situation going to turn out this yr and where does that put Sanchez's value in the future as a franchise QB?

This is obviously a very loaded and detailed question but I'm curious because I'm trying to gauge Mark Sanchez's long term value in my main dynasty league and his value in the NFL in general...

The main factors as I see them are as follows...

The temperature around Sanchez & Rex Ryan over the years would make it seem that they haven't always seen eye to eye since Sanchez was drafted #5 overall (no link but come on if you listen to footballguys and "the network" over the yrs there have been plenty of stories to back up this pt) I believe most of this is predicated on Ryan's brashness and seemingly indifferent attitude towards offense in general and specifically towards the QB position. What would we have been saying about Sanchez if he had landed in Stafford's situation or what about Cam Newton's situation from LAST yr with an offensive coordinator that has a pulse?

Tebow-mania is a ridiculous cloud of pressure that can and probably will at some point this season take over the entire NFL landscape once again. Can Sanchez maintain through that or will he wilt? If he loses his starting job will he still be confident if and when he ever gets another chance to compete to be THE guy again?

The Jets brass also is rumored to have grown very tired of Rex's loud mouth and arrogance so he MAY certainly be on the hot seat ESPECIALLY after he was rumored to be pushing so hard to bring in Tebow even after they resigned Sanchez to a long term extension... I see it going down in 1 of 4 ways this season... feel free to give me a different scenario if you can think of one...

Sanchez keeps job... Tebow is a gadget player... Jets go to AT LEAST AFC Championship or SB... No change next yr

Sanchez keeps job... Tebow is a gadget player... Jets lose early in playoffs or miss them altogether... Coach gets fired and team hires a HC far different from Rex Ryan (maybe current Panthers OC Rob Chudzinski)... A HC that promotes a little more offense and a real QB... That new HC either deals Tebow away or releases him...

Tebow takes job... Sanchez is pissy... Jets go to AT LEAST AFC Championship or SB... Sanchez gets moved for picks or players and he goes to a team that needs a franchise caliber QB in 2013 (Arizona? Miami? Seattle with his old coach? Jacksonville? Browns? Chiefs?... yeah I'm looking at YOU Matt Cassel)

Tebow takes job... Sanchez is pissy... Jets lose early in playoffs or miss them altogether... Coach gets fired and team hires a HC far different from Rex Ryan (maybe current Panthers OC Rob Chudzinski)... A HC that promotes a little more offense and a real QB... That new HC HAS to get rid of Tebow if they want to keep Sanchez and that HC HAS to be someone that Sanchez is ok with or he STILL wont be happy...

sorry for the ridiculously long post but this situation has me really intrigued!!

thanks

Historically I've always thought people had too high of an opinion of Mark Sanchez. I think he got way too much credit for taking the Jets to back to back AFC Championships. However, I feel like the opinions have now swung too far the other way. In the end, I think he has the physical skills to be a good QB, I just don't think he has an NFL QB caliber mind. He seems to struggle if his first read isn't open. Now, whether this is just a lack of ability in reading defenses or just a lack of putting in the effort, remains to be seen.

Bringing in Tebow should certainly motivate Sanchez so we should find out the answer to the question this year.

I think fantasy owners have swung too far back on Sanchez as well. I think he still could have long term value but he simply doesn't have good offensive coaching. Put him on Buffalo and he would have a good shot at putting Fitz on the bench.

all you have to say about Sanchez is Brian Schottenheimer, and watch how he destroys any value that's left in Sam Bradford.

I don't think Sanchez had a chance under this clown..Sparano isn't Bill Walsh with the genius offensive mindset, but he's better than Schottsie was..

there's a pretty good chance that Sanchez finishes in the QB top 20..

and Tebow won't start a single game this season..

Roto really has it out for Sanchez

Coach Rex Ryan reportedly "hedged a bit" Thursday when asked whether the Jets are holding a quarterback competition.

"I don't want to speculate on this, that or whatever," he said. "Mark Sanchez is our starting quarterback." Ryan also expressed confidence in the Jets' two-QB system. "They say if you have two quarterbacks, you have no quarterbacks," said Ryan. "Tell that to the San Francisco 49ers when they had Steve Young and Joe Montana. I think they won a few games, I'm not real sure." We expect to see Tebow in the starting lineup no later than the Jets' Week 9 bye.

How many QBs have numbers similar to Eli and Sanchez' third year who didn't pan out? You can't draw a comparison without considering all the comparable data points who failed. My guess: a lot more QBs who had mediocre to bad numbers after three years of starting go on to fail rather than succeed. That being said, he does have one more year to prove himself and it is possible. He will have a short leash because of Tebow. One thing that is hard to measure is character and drive. Tebow has it and he will continue to improve. Will Sanchez put in the work it takes to be the best? I am not optimistic. I wouldn't want either of these guys as my QB1 or QB2 to be honest.

I hate the Jets and live in NY. I hate all the media craze over the QB situation in NY.

I hope Sanchez tears it up this year.

Can we all remember that the kid played only 1 year in college. He did take the Jets to 2 AFC championship games.

Sure, he has made plenty of bad decisions and thrown many a horrible int that has hurt the Jets. But that doesn't mean the excitement and optimism ownership and NY had for him when they first signed him should be flushed down the toilet.

Give the kid a chance to succeed for goodness sakes!

I hope he has a great season, cuts down his mistakes and shuts everyone up. Just not when he plays Oakland.

Let's not forget this is a fantasy football forum too. In my two leagues I'm in he finished ahead of Vick, Fitzpatrick, Big Ben, and Tebow.

That being said, he does have one more year to prove himself and it is possible.
i think it's more like two years. Everyone's glossing over the extension the Jets gave Sanchez. It had real money for two years. He's making 10x more than Tebow. They aren't gonna cut this guy weekly game checks for $800,000 so that he can hold the clipboard for Tebow. that's not how business works. And we can talk about best player playing and blah blah blah but the NFL is a business. Tebow will play only in the case of injury.

That being said, he does have one more year to prove himself and it is possible.
i think it's more like two years. Everyone's glossing over the extension the Jets gave Sanchez. It had real money for two years. He's making 10x more than Tebow. They aren't gonna cut this guy weekly game checks for $800,000 so that he can hold the clipboard for Tebow. that's not how business works. And we can talk about best player playing and blah blah blah but the NFL is a business. Tebow will play only in the case of injury.
Tell that to Kyle Orton.

Sanchez needs a new situation if he has even a smidgen of a chance of reaching his potential. As long as he's in that circus, I'm selling.
I have felt that way since last year. The Jets have really hurt his development. Still, I think he has to be motivated by Tebowmania. Did you see the clip yesterday where a reporter called him Tim? :lol:

Let's not forget this is a fantasy football forum too. In my two leagues I'm in he finished ahead of Vick, Fitzpatrick, Big Ben, and Tebow.
Right. But if he's not a positive part of winning games in the NFL, he's benched, regardless of his FF performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right. But if he's not a positive part of winning games in the NFL, he's benched, regardless of his FF performance.
Sanchez isn't the problem, they give him a WR1 that can careless about winning with no one else around to catch the ball, an avg running game, a LT that can't block, and lets be honest... the defense has been good but not great.

Sanchez needs a new situation if he has even a smidgen of a chance of reaching his potential. As long as he's in that circus, I'm selling.
In addition to a new situation, Sanchez also needs a new arm which is the main reason he won't follow Eli's career path. He has one more year to prove himself here and I doubt he does it.

Tell that to Kyle Orton.
I don't know what Kyle Orton was making, but I doubt it was 10 million dollars a year.
Guys who get big contracts do have a longer leash, but NFL teams will demote, trade or cut guys who don't live up to the contracts. Sanchez has one sub-par year under that contract extension. I figure he has one more year to live up to it. He could conceivably have two if Tebow doesn't play better than him when Tebow gets his shot. But if Tebow wins and Sanchez doesn't, he'll be shown the door.FYI, Orton's contract wasn't 10 million/year but it was serious money.

"Coupled with the $2.62 million salary Orton was tendered as a restricted free agent this year, his contract is now for two years at $11.4 million, of which $8.1 million is guaranteed.

Read more: Broncos sign QB Kyle Orton to a contract extension - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15832953#ixzz21v1hc8Gs

Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse"

Sanchez isn't the problem, they give him a WR1 that can careless about winning with no one else around to catch the ball, an avg running game, a LT that can't block, and lets be honest... the defense has been good but not great.
Whether Sanchez is the problem or not (he bears some of it, though not nearly as much as he's blamed for), my point is FF performance means nothing if you're benched. Whether you deserve if or not.

That being said, he does have one more year to prove himself and it is possible. He will have a short leash because of Tebow. One thing that is hard to measure is character and drive. Tebow has it and he will continue to improve. Will Sanchez put in the work it takes to be the best? I am not optimistic. I wouldn't want either of these guys as my QB1 or QB2 to be honest.
Mark's Playoff numbers are very impressive, its hard for me to believe he doesn't have the 'it' factor when hes 4 - 2 with wins in SD / Indy / NE on the road in the playoffs and almost beating Pitt. What he needs is some maturity during the season.

Sanchez now 3-9 last 12 starts.

Even though as we all know Eli is having a rough time these days, he's probably not the right comparison.

A former overall No. 1 Top 10 pick too. If this keeps up, and it will, where does Sanchez get placed rightfully? Between Leinart and Carr perhaps? Perhaps Carr since he at least had a starting history behind him when the Texans moved on.

ETA: Fixed as corrected by the fellow poster below; dumb on my part, I guess I forgot. - Like Carr, maybe he moves on and becomes a reliable career backup with the occasional start.

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
Sanchez now 3-9 last 12 starts.Even though as we all know Eli is having a rough time these days, he's probably not the right comparison.A former overall No. 1 too. If this keeps up, and it will, where does Sanchez get placed rightfully? Between Leinart and Carr perhaps? Perhaps Carr since he had least had a starting history behind him when the Texans moved on.
Sanchez was the 6th overall pick....and he has won 4 road playoff games in his career....even if he continues his descent you cant put him on a list with those bums....

Lol sanchez is the worst qb in the league. He was carried by a great defence in his play off wins. I would rather have David carr than sanchez

Sanchez isn't that bad but he isn't a franchise QB either. He'll probably go to some other team without any fan fare and have an alright career. He's more like Dilfer.

He has no confidence at all. The problem is Sanchez is not a QB that can carry a team and this team is one that needs a QB to carry them at this stage.

I don't think Sanchez makes it through this season. People want him to be a franchise type of qb like the big names but he will never be that. He was a qb you could win with if the pieces were in place. It has become quite clear that he is at best an Alex Smith type of guy.

Yep, and Kerley trending in the Cruz model as well.

Jets win 2 of next 4 SB's.

Lol sanchez is the worst qb in the league. He was carried by a great defence in his play off wins. I would rather have David carr than sanchez
Did you actually watch the playoff wins? He played excellent. Since then - awful - but to say he was as bad as Carr or Leinart is not fair or accurate IMO. Either way its moot - he has been awful and deserves to be benched

At some point you have to s--- or get off the pot. As the seasons tick off that "back-to-back championship" currency dwindles to nothing.

Lack of weapons, defense gone soft, Tebow sets breaking up the rhythm, whatever... Sanchez doesn't appear comfortable in the offense and is regressing further each week.

The end is near for Sanchez (and his coach).

G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV

Carr - 5 years with Houston:

76 75 22-53-0 1243 2070 60.0 13391 59 2.9 65 3.1 81 6.5 5.6 10.8 176.2 75.5 249 1466 5.14 4.39 10.7 6 10 45

Sanchez - 3 (& 9/16) years with NYJ:

56 56 30-26-0 935 1708 54.7 11069 65 3.8 60 3.5 74 6.5 5.7 11.8 197.7 72.8 113 742 5.67 4.90 6.2 9 11 24

So maybe this isn't fair (and I'm not sure to whom it would be unfair, because Carr played with a brand new franchise playing with impossibly bad offensive lines, terrible defenses, and little in the way of a running game causing him to be under constant pressure, while Sanchez played at least 3 years with one of the best defensive teams in the league), but looking at actual stats and who has the better of each key number:

Record: Sanchez, far and away, including a couple excellent playoff appearances and twice making the AFCC game

Comp%: Carr

TD%: Sanchez

Int%: Carr (bit of a shocker)

Yards per attempt: Same

Rating: Carr

Sack%: Sanchez, by a lot (but again compare defenses behind them, offensive lines, and running games respectively)

4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives: Sanchez

Approximate value - this is a value assigned by Pro Football Reference, assigned on a yearly basis, and it has to be viewed yearly; Carr's goes 5, 7, 13, 10, 10 and Sanchez's goes 6, 9, 9: Advantage Carr, but they were the same total for each of their first three years, surprising to me.

Personally I look at completion % and yards per attempt as most important in evaluating a quarterback and Carr does better on the former and as well on the latter with much, much, much worse teams.

I just thought it was interesting to look at the numbers.

My gut as a fan just watching is that Sanchez is better, but maybe this is just one of those 'what if franchise QBs had landed in opposite places' things, like what if Archie Manning had landed in Dallas and Roger Staubach had landed in New Orleans. The Giants are a twice Super Bowl winning team and they may know a thing or two about talent and when it comes to their backup QB they don't seem too concerned, Carr has been with them 2 years running as Eli's number 2. Ironic.

G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV

Carr - 5 years with Houston:

76 75 22-53-0 1243 2070 60.0 13391 59 2.9 65 3.1 81 6.5 5.6 10.8 176.2 75.5 249 1466 5.14 4.39 10.7 6 10 45

Sanchez - 3 (& 9/16) years with NYJ:

56 56 30-26-0 935 1708 54.7 11069 65 3.8 60 3.5 74 6.5 5.7 11.8 197.7 72.8 113 742 5.67 4.90 6.2 9 11 24

So maybe this isn't fair (and I'm not sure to whom it would be unfair, because Carr played with a brand new franchise playing with impossibly bad offensive lines, terrible defenses, and little in the way of a running game causing him to be under constant pressure, while Sanchez played at least 3 years with one of the best defensive teams in the league), but looking at actual stats and who has the better of each key number:

Record: Sanchez, far and away, including a couple excellent playoff appearances and twice making the AFCC game

Comp%: Carr

TD%: Sanchez

Int%: Carr (bit of a shocker)

Yards per attempt: Same

Rating: Carr

Sack%: Sanchez, by a lot (but again compare defenses behind them, offensive lines, and running games respectively)

4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives: Sanchez

Approximate value - this is a value assigned by Pro Football Reference, assigned on a yearly basis, and it has to be viewed yearly; Carr's goes 5, 7, 13, 10, 10 and Sanchez's goes 6, 9, 9: Advantage Carr, but they were the same total for each of their first three years, surprising to me.

Personally I look at completion % and yards per attempt as most important in evaluating a quarterback and Carr does better on the former and as well on the latter with much, much, much worse teams.

I just thought it was interesting to look at the numbers.

My gut as a fan just watching is that Sanchez is better, but maybe this is just one of those 'what if franchise QBs had landed in opposite places' things, like what if Archie Manning had landed in Dallas and Roger Staubach had landed in New Orleans. The Giants are a twice Super Bowl winning team and they may know a thing or two about talent and when it comes to their backup QB they don't seem too concerned, Carr has been with them 2 years running as Eli's number 2. Ironic.
Carr was in a much worse position and so his numbers being comparable is really striking. I think this gives you a good idea about Sanchez' future.

Sanchez will get paid over $13M next season.....and Woody Johnson wants to keep Tanny as a "cap expert" :mellow:

Eli Manning and Sanchez are still very very similar: You tell me who you think each player is

Player A: 1011/1832 - 11887 Yards Passing (6.5/attempt) - 80 TD (12 rushing) - 68 INT - 125 sacks - 9 4th quarter comebacks - 11 game winning drives - 41 fumbles

Player B: 987/1805 - 11385 Yards Passing (6.31/attempt) - 79 TD (2 rushing) - 64 INT - 93 sacks - 9 4th quarter comebacks - 11 game winning drives - 34 fumbles

Can you tell a difference? Very similar across the board after their 4th year.

You start your career with a great d, great oline, strong run game, and throwing to Homes-Edwards-Keller(I think). What does he have now? To me he's the scapegoat for bad personel decisions and bad coaching. I noticed this watching him play vs the patriots this year, all I can think is what could have been.

He was dropped in a deep dynasty league I'm in and I didn't hesitate to pick him up. My best case scenario is he moves to Jac with Shorts- Blackmon- MJD- Lewis. Imagine that.

'amicsta said:
'packseasontix said:
Anyone take a guess between the two?
Eli is obviously player B. The comparisons end there though, Sanchez cant even carry Eli's ballbag right now.
I forgot Eli was SOOO amazing the first 5 years he was in the league. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=3142771http://walterfootball.com/story2007_QB.phpJust a couple articles remind you that Eli was down in the bottom half of all QBs not to long ago when he first was under center. It wasn't really until his 6th year that he broke out, broke the 4000 yard mark and finally became a legit QB to have moving forward without questions each off-season.

I am buying. He's as cheap a 26 year old QB as there is out there right now. I'd love to see him go into a backup role and learn from somebody good.

I threw the dice because of Marty. Hard to expect much when your team is competing with the raiders for the worse team in the league.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Anyone got an estimated time for how long Sanchez lasts with the NYJ?
He might stick on the roster but i would be shocked if he starts one game...He has no rope with the fans, and pick any fumble he will be booed out of the bldgOnly reason he will stay on roster or may stay on roster is his cap hit, which is onerous, but a June 1 wait, idzik might swallow that, and eat 4mill next year.. Ugh he's horrible just horrible

Users who are viewing this thread