Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dgreen

ComputerGuys - Need Help

I have an old PC that I tried to boot up because I want to get all the pictures off of it. It booted up fine (but slow). I realized I forgot to plug in the mouse before bootings, so I rebooted with the mouse. After the reboot, it goes to a screen that says:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMYou can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

Of course, I have no idea where the original CD-ROM is. Any other options? Googling for advice leads to a bunch of confusing steps for someone like me.Can I just take the PC somewhere and ask them to get all the pictures and videos, even with this error? If so, how much would that cost?

By 'old pc' mean you have another desktop? Take the hard drive from the old one, put it in the new one as a slave, turn on, copy files.

By 'old pc' mean you have another desktop? Take the hard drive from the old one, put it in the new one as a slave, turn on, copy files.

I have a laptop. Old one is a desktop.

They have cases for HDs that will allow you to connect them as an external drive to another computer (laptop or desktop) via USB. If you are not interested in keeping the old computer that is the way you should go.

This should work. Cheaper than taking it into the shop.

So basically there are devices that can connect by USB at one end to my desktop and by USB at the other end to my laptop and then, from my laptop, I can see all the files on my desktop and copy them over?

So basically there are devices that can connect by USB at one end to my desktop and by USB at the other end to my laptop and then, from my laptop, I can see all the files on my desktop and copy them over?

Pretty much. You take the hard drive out of your desktop, connect it to the adapter, plug it in, then connect it to your laptop via USB. It'll show up as any other usb drive and you can copy your files off of it.

You take the hard drive out of your desktop...

Never done this before. Pretty easy and harmless? A quick youtube vid made it look pretty easy.Thanks for your help.

You take the hard drive out of your desktop...

Never done this before. Pretty easy and harmless? A quick youtube vid made it look pretty easy.Thanks for your help.
Simple as can be. You're welcome.

Another option would be to get a CD that will boot the machine into an OS that's capable of reading the drive. Then use a USB hard drive or thumb drive to copy everything to.

I would definitely pick up the adapter to allow you to connect it via USB rather than trying to get the old computer running again. The error you got leads me to believe that it is possible the HD might have gotten a bit corrupted, and if so, you do not want to do anything that would cause new files to be written to it (i.e. an OS recovery.) Better to wire it up as a slave drive, and that will, if there is any trouble copying files off of the old drive, allow you to run some of the file recovery software to recover the files you are looking for and have the best chance of recovering them.

Another option would be to get a CD that will boot the machine into an OS that's capable of reading the drive. Then use a USB hard drive or thumb drive to copy everything to.

This is also a great option. Get something like Ultimate Boot Disk or BARTPE. A little more tricky to use than just an adapter.

Did you have a USB drive plugged into the computer when you rebooted? That message can sometimes appear when you reboot with a USB drive attached.

If not, then i would grab that adapter, take the drive out and backup/grab your data.

This is also a great option. Get something like Ultimate Boot Disk or BARTPE. A little more tricky to use than just an adapter.
I've had luck with just a Ubuntu disk booted into whatever mode it offers that doesn't write to the hard disk.I also use an external adapter after pulling the drive from a dead system as described above. Lately though, I've had issues with win7 home premium machines telling me the disk needs to be initialized and crap like that, but was able to mount to an xp computer just fine. So, be prepared to try both of these methods if the USB adapter acts a little flaky.On an unrelated note, I just pulled pictures from a 5.5 inch dive for somebody. Thought those were extinct.

Finally getting around to this.I have the old hard drive connected to a power source and the USB adapter to my laptop. Now the problem is my laptop doesn't recognize anything is connected to the USB port. In my My Computer, I only see my laptop C drive. I've tried a couple different USB ports and that doesn't change anything. I've connected other things to USB ports and they work.The power cord has a green light and I can hear the old hard drive spinning, so it should be working. The IDE/USB connector thingy has a blue light "POWER". There's a "W/R" with no light on and an "OTB" button. Since the adapter came with a tiny disk labeled "One Touch Back Up", I assume that's what the OTB button is? What's "W/R"?Not sure if any of this info will help, but my laptop is Windows 7 and old hard drive is a 3.5" IDE.

Finally getting around to this.I have the old hard drive connected to a power source and the USB adapter to my laptop. Now the problem is my laptop doesn't recognize anything is connected to the USB port. In my My Computer, I only see my laptop C drive. I've tried a couple different USB ports and that doesn't change anything. I've connected other things to USB ports and they work.The power cord has a green light and I can hear the old hard drive spinning, so it should be working. The IDE/USB connector thingy has a blue light "POWER". There's a "W/R" with no light on and an "OTB" button. Since the adapter came with a tiny disk labeled "One Touch Back Up", I assume that's what the OTB button is? What's "W/R"?Not sure if any of this info will help, but my laptop is Windows 7 and old hard drive is a 3.5" IDE.

Does an unknown device show up in device manager? (Right-click my computer -> Manage). What about under disk management?ETA: FYI, just cause the drive is spinning doesn't mean you'll be able to read it.

did you put the drive into an enclosure or are you using an SATA to USB adapter?BTW W/R probably stands for write/read

Under Device Manager, I don't see anything labeled as "unknown".I only see C and D under Disk Management.

I don't know jack about laptops, but if the drive is ntfs and your old hd is fat32 I don't think you'll be able to see it in windows.

Sure you can.

did you put the drive into an enclosure or are you using an SATA to USB adapter?BTW W/R probably stands for write/read

Using an IDE/SATA adapter.

Using an IDE/SATA adapter.
Not a good sign then. do you have another computer tou can try plugging it into? It should show up if the drive is working. Try rebooting the computer(disconnect the drive first), make sure the computer is powered on(plugged into the wall) then plug the drive back in(use a different usb port preferably in the rear of the computer. see if that does anything.

Under Device Manager, I don't see anything labeled as "unknown".I only see C and D under Disk Management.

Do you hear sound when the device is connected? In disk managements, the drive won't show up with a drive letter (can't have two c: drives). At the bottom when in the images, you should see disk 0, disk 1, etc. One of those should be your external. Right click it and change the drive letter to something else (just not c or d).Post a screen shot if that didn't make sense.

Do you hear sound when the device is connected? In disk managements, the drive won't show up with a drive letter (can't have two c: drives). At the bottom when in the images, you should see disk 0, disk 1, etc. One of those should be your external. Right click it and change the drive letter to something else (just not c or d).Post a screen shot if that didn't make sense.
I only see Disk 0 (my laptop's hd) and CD-ROM 0. Those are the only two. There is no disk 1.

You said the w/r light is not blinking and that is the activity light. It's bad if that is not blinking. If it enumerates on the USB port in Windows that will blink at least a little bit. I don't think it will show up in disc management.Normally I would think this is a power issue. What IDE/USB adapter are you using? Do you have a link to that? Does it plug into the wall? If it is bus-powered (ie. not plugged into the wall), your laptop probably can't power a 3.5" drive.

I hear the old hd while it's connected. Just spinning sounds. But, I don't hear any extra sounds immediately after connecting it to the laptop. I don't get the usual ding like other devices.

what windows were you using on the old hd, and would he have to set any slave jumpers to use that usb enclosure?

XP, I think. It's been a while since I used this computer.

I only see Disk 0 (my laptop's hd) and CD-ROM 0. Those are the only two. There is no disk 1.
Afraid you may be SOL then. If it isn't dinging when you plug it in and not showing up in disk management either you don't have it connected properly or the drive is toast.

what windows were you using on the old hd, and would he have to set any slave jumpers to use that usb enclosure?

If you see a jumper on the hard drive on the pins to the left of the big 4-pin power plug, take the jumper out and try it. You want the drive in a default configuration (no jumper).

Which basically nothing can be recovered?

Is it plugged into the wall or just the USB on the laptop. A laptop can't power a 3.5" hard drive via USB, but you may hear it making sounds.

If you see a jumper on the hard drive on the pins to the left of the big 4-pin power plug, take the jumper out and try it. You want the drive in a default configuration (no jumper).
There's the 4-pin power plug, the 3.5" IDE connection, and then an 8-pin connector between them. On 2 of the 8 pins is a black piece. Is that a jumper?

Is it plugged into the wall or just the USB on the laptop. A laptop can't power a 3.5" hard drive via USB, but you may hear it making sounds.
Yes, the adapter is plugged into the wall. I hear it running even when it wasn't connected to laptop.

There's the 4-pin power plug, the 3.5" IDE connection, and then an 8-pin connector between them. On 2 of the 8 pins is a black piece. Is that a jumper?
yes. you can pull it out with fingernails or you might need tweezers.

Removing the jumper is all I got if it's plugged into the wall.There's basically only 2 things that can be wrong other than that... 1) your IDE/USB adapter is broken, or 2) the drive is toast.

yeah, that's not a connector -- that black plastic is what they call a jumper.you can move that around to set it to master, slave, or cable select, most likely.can you look at the sticker on the top of the drive and post what make/model it is?edit: just make sure it's unpowered when you're monkeying with it.

It can be recovered but you'll need to send it away. The couple times I've sent drives away to recover data it has cost between $600-800 CDN. All depends on just how bad the drive is damaged. May cost $1000+.

yeah, that's not a connector -- that black plastic is what they call a jumper.you can move that around to set it to master, slave, or cable select, most likely.can you look at the sticker on the top of the drive and post what make/model it is?
no jumper is MASTER in every drive I've seenhe wants it as MASTER because it isn't sharing an IDE bus with anything else

Removing jumper lit up the W/R light, but doesn't make the drive appear in My Computer or Disk Management.Ugh.

On the sticker, the pic seems to indicate that jumper is on either the first or fourth (depending on how you look at it) row for Master = On and Slave = Off. The row next to that (where it was when I pulled it off, I think) is Cable select.

Make/model I think is Seagate U Series 9, ST3120025A.

so, it's set like this?page 22 or 32I just googled that real quick, btw, so hopefully I didn't get the wrong model.I'm in the middle of something now, but I'll check back later.if the jumper thing doesn't work, could he use dosbox, or something like that, to fish the stuff out in dos?(assuming the drive works and it's a windows issue)

so, it's set like this?page 22 or 32I just googled that real quick, btw, so hopefully I didn't get the wrong model.I'm in the middle of something now, but I'll check back later.if the jumper thing doesn't work, could he use dosbox, or something like that, to fish the stuff out in dos?(assuming the drive works and it's a windows issue)
Highly, highly doubt it is a windows issues.

Similar but not exact. It only shows three jumper options. One is Master = On and Slave = Off, a second is Cable Select, and the third is the one about limiting to 32 GB.I put the jumper in the Master = On, Slave = Off position and that made the W/R light go off and didn't work.Thanks for the help, everyone. I have to go to bed.

according to that pic the jumper was on pins 7/8 (master) and removing the jumper sets it to slave.

watch this vidyou're using something like this?and it came with a driver cd which you installed?

I didn't do anything with the CD. I guess I should do that. :bag:Install the cd and then connect the adapter? Or does it all need to be connected when I install the cd?I'll try later today.

Which adapter did you get? You likely have to install drivers first, before plugging it in.ETA: It's not a windows (on the old drive) issue or anything else s/w related to the old drive.

Usually when I plug things in via USB, my laptop automatically finds drivers and installs them. I've never had to install my own drivers. I put the disk in and it didn't automatically do anything. Do I double click the "setup" icon that is an "Application"?