What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Doug Baldwin (3 Viewers)

finito

Footballguy
So last year as a rookie, Doug Baldwin led Seattle receivers with 51 catches, 788 yards and 4 TDs. Now the WR corps had a slew of injuries so it's not like there was much with him, but for a rookie (undrafted at that), those numbers are pretty impressive. Going into his second season, the chatter is decent around him; seems like he's a hard worker and is focused on improving his game. He recently worked out with Matt Flynn who raved about his work ethic - yet I rarely hear anyone mention him as a potential break-out player on these forums.

On footballguy's "Deep Sleeper WRs" article, Baldwin is very high up on the list, but again I rarely hear his name being mentioned as a guy to grab. Is it just me or is this guy flying under the radar for most people? He seems like a terrific candidate to flirt with 1k who can be had for a song late in the draft.

I'm not quite at the point where I'm ready to start an ****Official**** Bandwagon Thread, but I do think he may deserve one. Am I wrong on this? I've only seen him in a couple of games so I don't have a ton of insight into how he looks - from I saw he looked pretty polished for a rookie, and a guy who could become a great security blanket for a QB as he improves his all-around game, which he seems intent on doing.

Anyone care to chime in on what they think of Baldwin's future and how he'll progress this season?

I like Balwdin, he was impressive last year. In redraft I'm not quite sure how good he'll be, though he could certainly build on a good rookie year. Been trying to get him in dynasties. Gave Malcom Floyd and a future 3rd for him in one league, offered a '13 2nd for Badlwin and the Ravens D and was turned down in another.

Love Baldwin this year. As an undrafted rookie he stepped into a major role and led the Seahawks in most receiving categories. I think he offers tremendous value this year.

Redraft he is so/so this year. Dynasty I like him. I don't think he is going to turn into a tier one wr but I think he could be a decent option.

Redraft he's going 57th. If he's the unquestioned WR2 on Seattle then I think he should provide value there. Shouldn't be in anyone's starting lineup, though, unless Rice gets hurt again.

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports "several teams" inquired about the trade availability of Doug Baldwin after the Seahawks acquired Percy Harvin.
Per La Canfora, GM John Schneider "wouldn't even entertain" the overtures because he wants "as much depth as possible." With Harvin battling a hip tear, Schneider is looking as savvy as ever. Assuming Harvin plays this year, Baldwin will be his primary backup in the slot and Seattle's No. 4 receiver. A playmaker inside, Baldwin is scheduled for restricted free agency in 2014.

Source: CBS Sports

I held onto this guy in HA1. Almost cut him about 10 times. But as soon as Harvin arrived, I started thinking, that the game will be geared toward what Baldwin does should anything happen to Harvin and we all know his history so definite hold for me.

So maybe now baldwin moves into harvin's role and becomes the WR to own?
Id be real careful and im a baldwin owner. Rice is still the best WR on this team. Baldwins upside is probably Lance Moore. Thats not a slam, Moore had a great season in PPR, but not to be confused with Harvin. Baldwin will have to gain rapport with Wilson to see those targets, and Wilson likes to go downfield.

It used to be quite common for a WR to have a sophomore slump. When I watched the Hawks last year, he was so unimpressive-nothing like his rookie year.

I need to read some praise for him in TC to get back on this train.

Id be real careful and im a baldwin owner. Rice is still the best WR on this team. Baldwins upside is probably Lance Moore. Thats not a slam, Moore had a great season in PPR, but not to be confused with Harvin. Baldwin will have to gain rapport with Wilson to see those targets, and Wilson likes to go downfield.
I really like Tate, he came on strong last year, and by all reports that I have heard is eating up our secondary in practice.

It used to be quite common for a WR to have a sophomore slump. When I watched the Hawks last year, he was so unimpressive-nothing like his rookie year.

A short blub in this article.

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2013/06/21/the-future-for-golden-tate/

Rotoworld

"Doug Baldwin was reportedly the "real standout" among the receivers during Seahawks' spring practices.
On a roster that includes Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice and Golden Tate, an undersized former undrafted free agent out of Stanford continues to open eyes. A slot receiver-needy team would be wise to offer a late-round pick to Seattle and see if they'll bite. Baldwin can play." Jun 26 - 11:37 AM

I guess this is where I'm gathering some of my hope from. I'll be closely watching TC to see if he takes advantage of his new opportunity.

ImTheScientist said:
Return of the Sheep said:
tate is the wr to own.
I know the smart money is on Tate. Who would say has the most upside between the two?
IMO Tate is more physically gifted, but I think he's going to go rocketing up draft boards with Harvin out and Rice getting his knee worked on in Europe. Baldwin is more likely to stay under the radar and be the guy you can get very late.

ImTheScientist said:
tate is the wr to own.
I know the smart money is on Tate. Who would say has the most upside between the two?
IMO Tate is more physically gifted, but I think he's going to go rocketing up draft boards with Harvin out and Rice getting his knee worked on in Europe. Baldwin is more likely to stay under the radar and be the guy you can get very late.
Rice isn't going to miss any time, not even preseason games.

ImTheScientist said:
tate is the wr to own.
Rice isn't going to miss any time, not even preseason games.
That might well be the case, but it doesn't mean that the timing of the news won't drive Rice's value down and Tate's up for your average redraft player.

From all accounts Rice should be fully healthy upon his return from Europe, I still like Tate to outperform him this season. Even if you are guaranteed to get 16 games out of both of them(which I think Tate has a slightly higher chance of doing), I would still take Tate.

On a side note, I was all set to draft Harvin yesterday in the 7th round before some guy took him 6 picks before me(whew). Did take Tate in the 12th and that proved to be amazing value considering the news that broke out a few hours later.

From all accounts Rice should be fully healthy upon his return from Europe, I still like Tate to outperform him this season. Even if you are guaranteed to get 16 games out of both of them(which I think Tate has a slightly higher chance of doing), I would still take Tate.

On a side note, I was all set to draft Harvin yesterday in the 7th round before some guy took him 6 picks before me(whew). Did take Tate in the 12th and that proved to be amazing value considering the news that broke out a few hours later.
:thanks:

So as some of us continue to scrounge for pebbles that might have been opverlooked, anyone have any observations on Baldwin from this preseason?

It seems they were cooking up a new offensive scheme that would include Harvin of course but now no Harvin. I see great things this year for Tate and Rice, but I am wondering if some of that shift in philosophy towards the slot doesn't remain and Baldwin can profit?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, perhaps people would have been dissapointed but in a 12-7 game all the way on the Atlantic coast that could have been Harvin's stat line IMO.

I held onto this guy in HA1. Almost cut him about 10 times. But as soon as Harvin arrived, I started thinking, that the game will be geared toward what Baldwin does should anything happen to Harvin and we all know his history so definite hold for me.
Glad I did. Giving him a start this week. HA1 is a PPR so nice week for Baldwin last week....

Now if the stop force feeding Tate and get the ball to a game changer like Baldwin he could remain steady doing what Harvin was supposed to do.

one more reception of +9 yards, would have put him over 100 yards and a TD and this guy would be near the top of the waiver wire. I think to many people are sleeping on him.

one more reception of +9 yards, would have put him over 100 yards and a TD and this guy would be near the top of the waiver wire. I think to many people are sleeping on him.
Agreed. 7 for 91 on 8 targets was a great start last week. I was high on this guy as a rookie, and while he didn't do a lot last year, this is his 3rd year, when WRs often break out, so I think this guy could be a nice surprise. I grabbed him in a bunch of leagues this week, so I am hopeful.

It seems hard to believe the Hawks would build a whole gameplan around Harvin and then just scrap it, especially as he may come back during the year. In the meantime Baldwin can make it work.

Note to self: guys like baldwin, eledman etc. are the main reason to draft rb early and often... not much but scraps on the wire for rbs but some guys who can come in and be big boy flexing for you at wr.

A short blub in this article.

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2013/06/21/the-future-for-golden-tate/

Rotoworld

"Doug Baldwin was reportedly the "real standout" among the receivers during Seahawks' spring practices.
On a roster that includes Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice and Golden Tate, an undersized former undrafted free agent out of Stanford continues to open eyes. A slot receiver-needy team would be wise to offer a late-round pick to Seattle and see if they'll bite. Baldwin can play." Jun 26 - 11:37 AM

I guess this is where I'm gathering some of my hope from. I'll be closely watching TC to see if he takes advantage of his new opportunity.
Thanks, sorry didn't see this earlier.

I'm definitely pleased with week one, it's what I needed after last year. Now there's hope IMO.

Note to self: guys like baldwin, eledman etc. are the main reason to draft rb early and often... not much but scraps on the wire for rbs but some guys who can come in and be big boy flexing for you at wr.
couple weeks of 3 catches for 16 yards for Baldwin lets see if you feel that way.

Joe Summer said:
You people really think he's gonna continue to catch 88% of his targets?
No, but he might catch 62% of them. And 5-65-.3 is 13ppg.

The problem is that he probably won't see eight targets every week. Tate had seven, but Rice only had three IIRC. That'll probably shift around quite a bit.

Rotoworld:

Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell said Doug Baldwin will get more chances to play outside in the wake of Sidney Rice's season-ending injury.
The 5'10/189 Baldwin typically plays in the slot, but he's listed as Rice's direct backup at the "Z" spot. He's also more proven and more explosive than Jermaine Kearse. It's a situation to monitor, especially if Percy Harvin's hip flareup proves more serious than anticipated. The matchup is certainly right this week as Baldwin will face the Bucs and Darrelle Revis figures to see a lot of Golden Tate.

Related: Jermaine Kearse

Source: Seattle Times

Rotoworld:

Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell said Doug Baldwin will get more chances to play outside in the wake of Sidney Rice's season-ending injury.
The 5'10/189 Baldwin typically plays in the slot, but he's listed as Rice's direct backup at the "Z" spot. He's also more proven and more explosive than Jermaine Kearse. It's a situation to monitor, especially if Percy Harvin's hip flareup proves more serious than anticipated. The matchup is certainly right this week as Baldwin will face the Bucs and Darrelle Revis figures to see a lot of Golden Tate.

Related: Jermaine Kearse

Source: Seattle Times
Dougie had a nice little game with Harvin still out and no Rice:

10/6/75/1.

Game could have been better last week. I was disappointed to see him have back to back drops on successive plays. Those were his first two drops of the season.

On a positive note he was the target on the last Wilson INT. If the safety doesn't make a great athletic play on the ball I think Baldwin scores twice last week.

How are we feeling about him this week? ATL I feel has thrown in the towel and they give it up in the passing game as well to the tune of 250 ypg and allowed 17 TDs.

Start over Mike Wallace in the shadow of Revis? (ppr)

How are we feeling about him this week? ATL I feel has thrown in the towel and they give it up in the passing game as well to the tune of 250 ypg and allowed 17 TDs.

I'm in this same situation and i may start Baldwin over him. Wallace is top 30 pretty much everywhere u look. Depleted O-Line and Revis Island? How is that possible ?

I'm in this same situation and i may start Baldwin over him. Wallace is top 30 pretty much everywhere u look. Depleted O-Line and Revis Island? How is that possible ?
Not understanding why FBG staff has him ranked in the 40's. He has a very favorable matchup @ the Falcons and would figure to get a lot of targets again, along with a fair chance of a TD. Strongly considering him over Torrey Smith because of Smith's limited upside and lack of TDs.

Not understanding why FBG staff has him ranked in the 40's. He has a very favorable matchup @ the Falcons and would figure to get a lot of targets again, along with a fair chance of a TD. Strongly considering him over Torrey Smith because of Smith's limited upside and lack of TDs.
These 2 weeks before Seattle's bye with Harvin still out are juicy matchups ... WR2 imo.

Users who are viewing this thread