What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Doug Baldwin (2 Viewers)

Baldwin over Nicks this week? That is my dilemna. Royal as an outside consideration. (WR3).

Last edited by a moderator:
dropped marlon brown for baldwin this week figuring that t smith no longer has hayden covering him. no rice, no harvin, suffering atl def, and he's getting targets. with lynch a little banged up to boot. i think week 10 (atl) and 11 (minny) he should post similar numbers to last week's game vs. tampa and then go in to the bye before harvin's return. sell high at that point.

What are peoples thoughts on him now that we know Harvin wont play this week and we have seen his impact of late.

Percy Harvin (hip) has been ruled out for Week 14.

Harvin can only be considered "week to week" at this stage. Doug Baldwin will continue to start and dominate slot receiver snaps in three-wide packages.

Rotoworld:

Doug Baldwin led Seahawks wide receivers by playing on 57-of-69 snaps in Sunday's win at the Giants.

Golden Tate was second with 50 snaps and Jermaine Kearse was at 49. Over the last six games, Baldwin has emerged as Russell Wilson's No. 1 receiver while averaging 4.3 catches for 66.3 yards with four touchdowns. Since he operates mostly out of the slot, he'll likely avoid the coverage of Patrick Peterson in Week 16 and make for a low-end WR3 play.

Related: Golden Tate, Jermaine Kearse

Source: Seattle Times

Feeling good about my Baldwin preseason prediction (would lead Seattle in yards and catches. He's still behind Tate in receptions, but is ahead in yards and TDs. I thought this would be true mostly because of the style of play that the coaches prefer; grind it out on the ground, control the clock, etc.

:HeyLook@Me:

Feeling good about my Baldwin preseason prediction (would lead Seattle in yards and catches. He's still behind Tate in receptions, but is ahead in yards and TDs. I thought this would be true mostly because of the style of play that the coaches prefer; grind it out on the ground, control the clock, etc.

:HeyLook@Me:
Good call, man. It's obvious why the Seahawks wouldn't entertain offers for a guy who was the #4 WR at the time. They knew what they had, and that they'd need the depth.

Doug Baldwin seems to be the Rodney Dangerfield of fantasy wideouts.

I been trying to trade him this because I own Harvin as well. No one wants anything to do with him. Baldwin's production last season has been equal to Cecil Shorts but I would have a lot less trouble trading Cecil. The new plan is to keep Harvin and Baldwin.

Finally got his deal done

Seahawks signed restricted free agent WR Doug Baldwin to a three-year, $13 million contract.

Baldwin gets $9 million over the first two years. Not a bad haul for the former undrafted free agent out of Stanford. Baldwin (5-foot-10, 189) plays bigger than his size would indicate and has become a favorite target of Russell Wilson's. He has reliable hands and is coming of a 50-778-5 line in 2013. Entering his age-26 season, there isn't much room for statistical growth for Baldwin in one of the league's run-heaviest offenses. With Percy Harvin also returning to health, Baldwin is more WR4 than WR3. He should play every down, though. At OTAs, Baldwin is practicing at Z receiver with Harvin in the slot.

Source: Louis Riddick on Twitter
May 29 - 11:06 AM

I pulled off a couple trades where he was basically a throw in. With only Harvin ahead of him, he could become the #1 on that team. Sidney Rice is laughable. The only WR that could push him is Kearse. With that said, I'm not sold on his ability to be a #1. Would probably be an epic fail. But fantasy is all about potential when getting those nuggets.

Don't underestimate Paul Richardson in dynasty, though there's a separate thread for that. John Schneider was quoted as saying that they would have taken him at 32 if they weren't able to trade down to 45 and get him there.

I don't think he has an incredibly high ceiling, but I expect him to be a better than average flex/bye week option.

I'm a little surprised that there isn't more hype about him right now.

Can't see why there's not much talk of Baldwin other than people seem to think Seattle does not throw the ball at all.

Makes incredible catches almost every game and now is legit number 2 receiver behind Percy Harvin (do I have to mention the injuries!)

Seahawks defense will make sure that he's on the field a lot.

Golden Tate is gone, so his numbers will go up (778 yards, 5 TD), and even if you don't like his changes of making 1000 yards this year, he has ton of upside.

This is a 25 year old young guy, who is constantly doing his job better and better. Specially in dynasty purposes I would try

to trade him if I could, because the day will come when he will appreciated for what he can do.

I think he leads the team in receptions this year.

He's also funny, a quote from last preseason game.

Doug: "Y'all couldn't just give it to me?"
Ref:"You gotta earn it!"
Doug: "Earn it?! I got the #### knocked outta me!"

I think Baldwin is the most underrated WR in the NFL. From Seahawks Team Spotlight thread:

Just Win Baby said:
Baldwin is very underrated. Per PFF, last season he was in the top 10 WRs in the NFL at WR rating (QB rating when targeted), drop rate, and deep passing. Baldwin's catch rate last season was 71.6% (including postseason), his YPR was 15.6, and he caught 6 TDs in 63 receptions. It is very impressive to combine that catch rate with that YPR. I'm projecting his receiving numbers this year with very similar rates: 90 targets, 63 receptions (70% CR), 945 receiving yards (15 YPR), 6 receiving TDs.

To summarize, here are my receiving projections:

Baldwin: 90 targets, 63 receptions (70% CR), 945 receiving yards (15 YPR), 6 receiving TDs

Can't see why there's not much talk of Baldwin other than people seem to think Seattle does not throw the ball at all.

Makes incredible catches almost every game and now is legit number 2 receiver behind Percy Harvin (do I have to mention the injuries!)

Golden Tate is gone, so his numbers will go up (778 yards, 5 TD), and even if you don't like his changes of making 1000 yards this year, he has ton of upside.

This is a 25 year old young guy, who is constantly doing his job better and better. Specially in dynasty purposes I would try

to trade him if I could, because the day will come when he will appreciated for what he can do.
:goodposting:

I like Baldwin and think he could see a slight bump in production. But doesn't a healthy Harvin kind of wash with the absence of Tate?

I think if Baldwin sees any increase it will be due to Wilson throwing a little more rather than Tate's absence.

Rotoworld:

Doug Baldwin caught seven passes for 123 yards and one touchdown in the Seahawks' Week 7 loss to the Rams.

Baldwin was targeted a team-high 11 of Russell Wilson's 36 passes as the clear No. 1 receiver in the first game sans Percy Harvin. Wilson didn't have to feel the pressure of getting Harvin looks, instead feeding whoever was open, and that happened to be Baldwin. He had a 48-yard catch-and-run early in the game before later catching a nine-yard TD in the fourth quarter. Baldwin has some WR4/5 appeal as Wilson's favorite target. He gets the Panthers next week.

Oct 19 - 4:39 PM

Baldwin has a huge game, is clearly the #1 target - even if its not in a big passing offense - and facing a Panthers D that has looked pathetic and he only has WR4/5 appeal????

What are the comps on Baldwin? Cant believe there isn't more chatter about him, seems like a hot pickup this week. I'd like to know what people think of him for the rest of the season????

What are the comps on Baldwin? Cant believe there isn't more chatter about him, seems like a hot pickup this week. I'd like to know what people think of him for the rest of the season????
This is tough for me to answer because I'm biased. I don't think the team will struggle through the second half of their season. The more successful the team is the less they will throw the ball. If you expect them to be behind more in games then IMO the guy to have is Baldwin. So, where do your opinions lie in regard to overall Seattle success?

I can't find the link but I saw a chart this morning that showed Baldwin is a low end #2 receiver when he gets at least 75% of the offensive snaps. I'm thinking he ends up around there most weeks.

I think he's almost an every week start in PPR leagues. Seahawks seem like they will be in a lot of close games because their defense is still good but not as dominant, and Baldwin is still the most consistent and reliable receiver for Wilson. He'll have a couple duds because Kearse, Lockette, and even Paul Richardson will have some decent outings. I also think Lynch gets a bump in some receiving targets.

I think he's almost an every week start in PPR leagues. Seahawks seem like they will be in a lot of close games because their defense is still good but not as dominant, and Baldwin is still the most consistent and reliable receiver for Wilson. He'll have a couple duds because Kearse, Lockette, and even Paul Richardson will have some decent outings. I also think Lynch gets a bump in some receiving targets.

I was higher on Baldwin in the offseason than anyone. Still am.

I would use other options if possible. Sounds like a decent groin pull. I want to see him play before I start him again

I cut bait and picked up Davante Adams. Owning Russel Wilson and the past two weeks have made me want to divest in Seahawks players wherever possible.

If he plays, I don't know how u can sit him. At least in PPR formats. Who the heck is catching passes? Kearse and Richardson? meh.

The Giants defense is decimated in the secondary. Luck just cut them to ribbons.

I know after last weeks clunker to Oakland, everyone is off of Russell Wilson but this Giants team is made to order for a guy like Wilson who can escape from pocket and throw it down field. I think this game is pretty high scoring actually

I cut bait and picked up Davante Adams. Owning Russel Wilson and the past two weeks have made me want to divest in Seahawks players wherever possible.
Losing Tate & Harvin 2 straight years is not exactly the help Wilson needs. He'll have to to create things on his own as the above poster noted.

Should we be talking more about Baldwin?

Since Seattle's Week #9 bye, he has put up elite numbers:

Week 10 (Ari): 7 rec/134 yds. 1 TD

Week 11 (SF): 6/60 0 TDs

Week 12 (Pit): 6/145 3 TDs

Week 13 (@ Min): 5/94 2 TDs

Russell Wilson is playing as well as any QB right now, Baldwin is his top receiver, there is a void left by Jimmy Graham and the Seahawks have a favorable schedule, particularly over the next two weeks (@Bal and home vs. Cle).

We don't usually consider Baldwin among the upper tier of fantasy receivers, but Baldwin is putting up his best numbers at an ideal time for playoff-bound fantasy owners.

I have been gun-shy to trust my fantasy season to Baldwin with other options available, but I may need to rethink that strategy.

Should we be talking more about Baldwin?

Since Seattle's Week #9 bye, he has put up elite numbers:

Week 10 (Ari): 7 rec/134 yds. 1 TD

Week 11 (SF): 6/60 0 TDs

Week 12 (Pit): 6/145 3 TDs

Week 13 (@ Min): 5/94 2 TDs

Russell Wilson is playing as well as any QB right now, Baldwin is his top receiver, there is a void left by Jimmy Graham and the Seahawks have a favorable schedule, particularly over the next two weeks (@Bal and home vs. Cle).

We don't usually consider Baldwin among the upper tier of fantasy receivers, but Baldwin is putting up his best numbers at an ideal time for playoff-bound fantasy owners.

I have been gun-shy to trust my fantasy season to Baldwin with other options available, but I may need to rethink that strategy.
I should've. Thought I was chasing the points this week and left him on the bench. Cost me a win in the playoffs.

This is tough for me to answer because I'm biased. I don't think the team will struggle through the second half of their season. The more successful the team is the less they will throw the ball. If you expect them to be behind more in games then IMO the guy to have is Baldwin. So, where do your opinions lie in regard to overall Seattle success?
I still think the more successful Seahawks outcomes are going to involve more rushing touchdowns, but I don't have a problem admitting this narrative certainly hasn't played out the past three weeks.

Still don't believe we will consistently be able to rely on Baldwins numbers, but losing Graham and Richardson doesn't hurt. I expect Lockett to have some solid games too down the stretch. Kearse has been the all or nothing guy recently.

I still think the more successful Seahawks outcomes are going to involve more rushing touchdowns, but I don't have a problem admitting this narrative certainly hasn't played out the past three weeks.

Still don't believe we will consistently be able to rely on Baldwins numbers, but losing Graham and Richardson doesn't hurt. I expect Lockett to have some solid games too down the stretch. Kearse has been the all or nothing guy recently.
That has been precisely my line of thinking as well, and why I have not yet put Baldwin in my lineup. I keep expecting that emphasis to lean more heavily toward the running game. Interestingly, however, over the past four weeks, the Seahawks have actually scored 6 of their 9 rushing TDs on the season and still have thrown 12 TDs (half of those to Baldwin).

Edited to correct season TD numbers.

Also, while I don't expect Baldwin to continue to post multiple TD games consistently, I do think it is reasonable to expect his targets to remain high, making him a very good PPR option.

That has been precisely my line of thinking as well, and why I have not yet put Baldwin in my lineup. I keep expecting that emphasis to lean more heavily toward the running game. Interestingly, however, over the past four weeks, the Seahawks have actually scored 6 of their 9 rushing TDs on the season and still have thrown 12 TDs (half of those to Baldwin).

Edited to correct season TD numbers.

Also, while I don't expect Baldwin to continue to post multiple TD games consistently, I do think it is reasonable to expect his targets to remain high, making him a very good PPR option.
Lockett has emerged as a really good WR with great speed. IMO that has helped Baldwin.

And of course Wilson continues to improve. He is just entering his prime. That helps Baldwin.

I have been expecting Seattle to shift more toward a passing offense over time. I thought Lynch's inevitable demise would be part of that, but didn't expect the Seahawks to find another RB as good as Rawls with no gap. That could enable them to stick with the running emphasis longer than I expected, but IMO Wilson is too good for the coaches to continue to hold him back indefinitely.

Another gem by Baldwin. It's time to include Baldwin among the elite receivers for this stretch run.

Up next: home vs. Cleveland.

Users who are viewing this thread