Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
finito

Doug Baldwin

This guy has been maddening to own. 

I'm up 14.2 with no one left facing a linebacker in a tackle heavy league. 

If I lose tonight I'm putting it squarely on Baldwin's pathetic 4.5 point game. 

1st play of the 2nd drive is a pass to Baldwin. He's targeted twice more the entire game? What the holy hell was that about? How do you forget to even look for your #1 WR? Niners secondary is decent, but nothing to write home about. 

I just do not understand it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

The team I own him is in the playoffs.

Barring injury he's starting for me until I'm eliminated

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat.

And I know the game I bench him will be his 10/122/2 week. :doh: 

• Like 1

Just now, Hot Sauce Guy said:

This guy has been maddening to own. 

I'm up 14.2 with no one left facing a linebacker in a tackle heavy league. 

If I lose tonight I'm putting it squarely on Baldwin's pathetic 4.5 point game. 

1st play of the 2nd drive is a pass to Baldwin. He's targeted twice more the entire game? What the holy hell was that about? How do you forget to even look for your #1 WR? Niners secondary is decent, but nothing to write home about. 

I just do not understand it. 

I only watched the game on RZ, but every time I saw it Wilson was running for his life

Just now, Cowboysfan8 said:

I only watched the game on RZ, but every time I saw it Wilson was running for his life

Nah - there were plenty of designed QB roll outs - he just didn't look for him, apparently preferring Richardson, Lockett & his rookie TE2. :doh: 

Looking at his season it seems like the harder the matchup the better Baldwin is. Against WAS at full strength in the secondary he had 13 targets, 10 receptions, 108 yards and a TD. Since then his targets have been 6, 6, and now 3.  

3 targets in 60 mins of football. WTF is that?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gradin123 said:

I am pretty sure, Baldwin is playing hurt. He mentioned having quad issues after the last game and he just doesn't look to be running fullspeed right now. 

Agreed he looks injured

Sportsnaut‏ @Sportsnaut 17m17 minutes ago

Doug Baldwin sparks (more) panic among Seahawks fans after cryptic tweet

https://sportsnaut.com/2018/03/doug-baldwin-sparks-more-panic-among-seahawks-fans-after-cryptic-tweet/

The Seattle Seahawks are officially blowing it all up. They moved Michael Bennett in a trade with the Eagles (for practically nothing) before releasing All-Pro cornerback Richard Sherman, who signed two days later with the division rival San Francisco 49ers.

Needless to say, Seahawks nation is in a full-blown panic right now. On the heels of all that, receiver Doug Baldwin sent out a cryptic tweet Sunday that threw some jet fuel on this bonfire of emotions.

Doug Baldwin Jr‏  @DougBaldwinJr 38m

Well.. this sucks.

https://twitter.com/DougBaldwinJr/status/972887896179990528

After the events that recently transpired, many took this to mean that Baldwin was up next on the chopping block. (reactions at top link)

2 hours ago, squistion said:

Sportsnaut‏ @Sportsnaut 17m17 minutes ago

Doug Baldwin sparks (more) panic among Seahawks fans after cryptic tweet

https://sportsnaut.com/2018/03/doug-baldwin-sparks-more-panic-among-seahawks-fans-after-cryptic-tweet/

The Seattle Seahawks are officially blowing it all up. They moved Michael Bennett in a trade with the Eagles (for practically nothing) before releasing All-Pro cornerback Richard Sherman, who signed two days later with the division rival San Francisco 49ers.

Needless to say, Seahawks nation is in a full-blown panic right now. On the heels of all that, receiver Doug Baldwin sent out a cryptic tweet Sunday that threw some jet fuel on this bonfire of emotions.

Doug Baldwin Jr‏  @DougBaldwinJr 38m

Well.. this sucks.

https://twitter.com/DougBaldwinJr/status/972887896179990528

After the events that recently transpired, many took this to mean that Baldwin was up next on the chopping block. (reactions at top link)

I’ve been thinking about this- could he simply be referring to the fact that he’ll have to line up against Sherman twice a year?

It sucks for his SB chances but it's actually good for his stats. They should be in more shoot outs. Wilson's going to be throwing more. 

Edited by Milkman

11 minutes ago, Snorkelson said:

I’ve been thinking about this- could he simply be referring to the fact that he’ll have to line up against Sherman twice a year?

Hard to say. Your guess is as good as mine. People have been all over the map trying to figure out what exactly he meant by this.

Curious as to what people think about Baldwin.  Graham is gone and Seattle hasn't brought in any WR's that in any worry me.  With the defense sure to take a hit, do people think Baldwin can bounce back after a fairly down year last year?  I think he can be a low end WR1.  Thoughts?

Speaking about Doug Baldwin's knee injury, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said he "came into camp a little bit off."

"He came into camp a little bit off, so we just want to make sure that we take care of him," was Carroll's exact quote. "We know exactly what’s going on, and he’s doing some special treatments to make sure we’re taking care of him, and we want to bring him back in shape so we can really get him ready for the long haul." NFL.com's Tom Pelissero has termed Baldwin's anticipated multi-week absence as a "maintenance issue." That's all good and well, but any time a knee injury requires rest, there's a chance it will eventually require surgery.

Source: seahawks.com 

Jul 31 - 5:18 PM

22 minutes ago, Milkman said:

So glad i own his handcuff. Lockett blows up if Bakdwin goes down. 

That’s my only consolation that I own Lockett in the only league I own Baldwin but I still find this news troubling since I think the two could coexist anyway in what should be a very viable passing game.

I have Lockett in another league alone as well so I guess I’ll take the good with the bad.

Edited by Dr. Octopus

As a longtime Wilson owner, this worries me. I don’t trust Lockett to stay healthy, or even provide any consistency for Russ in the passing game.

Bad feeling about this ‘Hawks offense in general this year. 

Baldwin also, IMO, isn’t the type of receiver to play through injury and be effective. 

17 hours ago, Milkman said:

So glad i own his handcuff. Lockett blows up if Bakdwin goes down. 

TBH they probably just run the ball that much more.

I was really high on Baldwin this year.  Graham gone, defense looking shaky.  I'm troubled by the vagueness of the reports thus far about his knee.  It's a little sore but they are already saying he'll be out a few weeks?????  Something smells fishy here.  I just hope we find out a lot more about the severity or lack of severity this week.  Don't like vague

13 minutes ago, Milkman said:

When they're down 2 scores?

Yeah they are going to be playing a lot of catch up. Possibly not even second best in their division

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

Yeah they are going to be playing a lot of catch up. Possibly not even second best in their division

I think they're lucky if they stay ahead of Arizona to not finish in the basement.

• Like 3

Doug Baldwin - WR -  Seahawks

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Doug Baldwin (knee) may miss most, if not all, of the preseason.

Per Schefter, doctors are "hopeful and confident" Baldwin will be ready by the time Week 1 rolls around. At this stage of his career, Baldwin doesn't need the preseason, but it sure wouldn't hurt to have the reps to knock off the rust. For now, consider Baldwin likely to be ready for the opener. We'll surely have plenty of updates on the 29-year-old in the lead-up to Week 1.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Aug 1 - 3:57 PM

As someone who has the first pick in my 12 team 1/2 point PPR re-draft, I was penciling in Baldwin at 3.01 (pick # 25). 

May have to break out the eraser now. What does everyone else think ? Moving him down on draft boards ? 

25 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Calling @Dr. Dan

"hopeful and confident" he will be ready week 1?! This is cryptically concerning. The lack of details are odd, especilaly if they are going to rule him out for at least 4 weeks right off the bat. 

Not good for Baldwin owners, at least for weeks 1-4. Assuming he comes back just fine Week 1,you have to wonder what kind of player will be stepping onto the field, is this going to linger all season like Lockett's issues did last year, and is missing reps in training camp going to result in a slow return to fantasy relevance? 

Like I said in the Lockett thread: Baldwin didn't burst onto the scene until Tate left for Detroit, perhaps this is Lockett's opportunity to change the tides at the WR1 position in Seattle, especially considering Baldwin's contract becomes much more casualty friendly after 2018. 

7 minutes ago, tombonneau said:

So is Dez gonna be in Seattle? Seems like a PC kind of guy. Have they worked him out or been previously linked to him?

Dez and Brandon Marshall? Woooo, look out!

45 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

"hopeful and confident" he will be ready week 1?! This is cryptically concerning. The lack of details are odd, especilaly if they are going to rule him out for at least 4 weeks right off the bat. 

Not good for Baldwin owners, at least for weeks 1-4. Assuming he comes back just fine Week 1,you have to wonder what kind of player will be stepping onto the field, is this going to linger all season like Lockett's issues did last year, and is missing reps in training camp going to result in a slow return to fantasy relevance? 

Like I said in the Lockett thread: Baldwin didn't burst onto the scene until Tate left for Detroit, perhaps this is Lockett's opportunity to change the tides at the WR1 position in Seattle, especially considering Baldwin's contract becomes much more casualty friendly after 2018. 

I agree.  It just seems odd that we don't know what the issue is with the knee but their saying he's gonna sit for several weeks at least.  I got a bad feeling about this :hansolo:

Last year I finally pulled the trigger on Baldwin. It was late 2nd round & I took Hunt 1.06 because we drafted after the Thursday opener, so I got Hunt’s monster game on the scoreboard.

he was maddeningly inconsistent. Even in games the Seahawks were down big playing catch-up, opponents smothered him. He’s not a guy who can beat double coverage (most aren’t) and the Seahawks passing offense was hardly creative enough to fool anyone.

I had Baldwin scratched off my draft board since before the injury scare. I read the experts ranking him top 5-7 at WR, always based on past production & predictions of the Seahawks playing from behind all the time. 

But IMO, even in the best case scenario, until the Seahawks show they can run effectively, opponents will lock up Baldwin & dare the Seahawks to throw the ball elsewhere. 

I don’t have Baldwin in my top 20 at the position. & even if there’s an injury discount I don’t see him being a value pick anywhere he’ll realistically be drafted. 

ETA: plays 6 games in a tough division defensively, with 4 against AZ/LAR, which means for 1/4 of his season he’s facing brutal secondaries. So even if the Hawks are down, is there a ton of confidences that he’s gonna suddenly light the scoreboard on fire in garbage time? Seems more likely they’ll be down and stay down against those teams. :shrug:

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy

6 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Last year I finally pulled the trigger on Baldwin. It was late 2nd round & I took Hunt 1.06 because we drafted after the Thursday opener, so I got Hunt’s monster game on the scoreboard.

he was maddeningly inconsistent. Even in games the Seahawks were down big playing catch-up, opponents smothered him. He’s not a guy who can beat double coverage (most aren’t) and the Seahawks passing offense was hardly creative enough to fool anyone.

I had Baldwin scratched off my draft board since before the injury scare. I read the experts ranking him top 5-7 at WR, always based on past production & predictions of the Seahawks playing from behind all the time. 

But IMO, even in the best case scenario, until the Seahawks show they can run effectively, opponents will lock up Baldwin & dare the Seahawks to throw the ball elsewhere. 

I don’t have Baldwin in my top 20 at the position. & even if there’s an injury discount I don’t see him being a value pick anywhere he’ll realistically be drafted. 

ETA: plays 6 games in a tough division defensively, with 4 against AZ/LAR, which means for 1/4 of his season he’s facing brutal secondaries. So even if the Hawks are down, is there a ton of confidences that he’s gonna suddenly light the scoreboard on fire in garbage time? Seems more likely they’ll be down and stay down against those teams. :shrug:

That was pretty much every WR last year not named Brown or Hopkins. Just was a really weird year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

That was pretty much every WR last year not named Brown or Hopkins. Just was a really weird year. 

While that’s true to a degree, with Baldwin there were several games when Wilson threw 300+ while seemingly relegating Baldwin to the “deep threat” role. If those shots missed (which they mostly did), Baldwin had a line like 4/72/0 or 5/60/0

of the unreliable WRs, Baldwin seemed like the least reliable despite gamefloa favoring a big game from him. 

There was a game the Seahawks were down big, and headed into the 2nd half I needed like 5 points PPR with Baldwin left. Shoulda been a lock. Wilson got sacked a ton, the passes he did complete were to Richardson. It was a tough loss.

and while I’m consistently one of those guys saying, “gotta have a short memory, don’t cave to recency bias” in FFB, I’m voluntarily caving with Baldwin. I just don’t trust that OL or offense in general. 

These are admittedly scenarios where in the past I’ve missed out on a breakout player for having these same doubts, but imma go with my gut here. 

It’s a little akin to the Browns. I know at some point they have to be better. At some point some of their skill players will deliver. But to find out, I’ll have to draft Browns, and it’s such an ugly feeling when one is wrong and you could have had a much more productive player with that pick.

considering Baldwin is going mid-second right now, that’s a lot of really good players one could draft instead. 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

While that’s true to a degree, with Baldwin there were several games when Wilson threw 300+ while seemingly relegating Baldwin to the “deep threat” role. If those shots missed (which they mostly did), Baldwin had a line like 4/72/0 or 5/60/0

of the unreliable WRs, Baldwin seemed like the least reliable despite gamefloa favoring a big game from him. 

There was a game the Seahawks were down big, and headed into the 2nd half I needed like 5 points PPR with Baldwin left. Shoulda been a lock. Wilson got sacked a ton, the passes he did complete were to Richardson. It was a tough loss.

ans while I’m consistently one of those guys saying, “gotta have a short memory, don’t cave to decency bias” in FFB, I’m voluntarily caving with Baldwin. I just don’t trust that OL or offense in general. 

These are admittedly scenarios where in the past I’ve missed out on a breakout player for having these same doubts, but imma go with my gut here. 

It’s a little akin to the Browns. I know at some point they have to be better. At some point some of their skill players will deliver. But to find out, I’ll have to draft Browns, and it’s such an ugly feeling when one is wrong and you could have had a much more productive player with that pick.

considering Baldwin is going mid-second right now, that’s a lot of really good players one could draft instead. 

Given this injury and his age, I do think it is time to walk away from Baldwin in redraft. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, skinfanjon said:

Seattle is going to S-U-C-K this year.

I don't want any part of this offense.

I am also getting that vibe

Man, I'm not usually an optimist, but I think there is too much pessimism going on here. As of yet, he's not ruled out for week 1. We don't even know what the issue is, its possible its 100% resolved by week 1. Maybe he had a surgery that Seattle is keeping quiet?

Baldwin isn't going to be going in round 2 in drafts going forward. The question becomes how far he'll fall. Round 4? Round 5? Round 6? If he starts to fall into WR3 range I'll happily take that "risk" and be ok if he gets off to a slow start. 

Seattle feels a little underrated right now. Pete Carroll is a great coach, and Russell Wilson is an elite QB. No way does this offense become worthless. As long as Wilson is on the field, this offense will score points, and Baldwin will still probably be the biggest benefactor.

• Like 1

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said he has "no worry" about Doug Baldwin's status for Week 1.

Baldwin figures to miss most of the preseason as he rehabs a knee injury, but obviously the Seahawks aren't sweating his availability for Week 1 against Denver. With deep threat Paul Richardson and red-zone hog Jimmy Graham both gone, Baldwin belongs in the WR1 conversation.

Source: Bob Condotta on Twitter 

Aug 3 - 4:08 PM

On 8/1/2018 at 2:49 PM, Dr. Octopus said:

I think they're lucky if they stay ahead of Arizona to not finish in the basement.

potential 6-10 season on the horizon. might  be one of the worst teams in the NFL in 2018. probably best to avoid all Seahawks' players including Wilson.

Edited by Tanner9919

Curious where he's been going in redraft as of late.  I'm a few picks away from my pick at 4.10 and keep staring at his name on Draft Dominator wondering what I will do if he doesn't go in the next three picks before I'm up. :oldunsure:

3 minutes ago, Avery said:

Curious where he's been going in redraft as of late.  I'm a few picks away from my pick at 4.10 and keep staring at his name on Draft Dominator wondering what I will do if he doesn't go in the next three picks before I'm up. :oldunsure:

picked him up late 4th.

Just now, leftcoastheel said:

picked him up late 4th.

That's where I'm looking at him too.

He seems to be in the range now of D. Thomas, Tate, Robinson, Watkins, Goodwin and even Lockett. 

i dunno i do lots of drafts so i liked the risk reward.  i have Davante and Tyreek as WR1 and 2.  Baldwin as WR 3?  Works for me.  I stacked him on this team with Wilson in the 8th.

I think he will be OK, but information is limited.  Up to your risk tolerance.

30 minutes ago, leftcoastheel said:

i dunno i do lots of drafts so i liked the risk reward.  i have Davante and Tyreek as WR1 and 2.  Baldwin as WR 3?  Works for me.  I stacked him on this team with Wilson in the 8th.

I think he will be OK, but information is limited.  Up to your risk tolerance.

Was just going to post something similar about risk.

Another question I'm asking myself, which I think may be not contemplated enough here.  How worried are we about Schottenheimer's offensive scheme's here?  Assuming (enough) health from Baldwin, will he (continue) to put Baldwin in a position to succeed?

• Like 1

has it been confirmed what the injury is? all i've heard is a knee and out the pre-season.... if MCL sprain it would help to know severity of it.

even if he misses a month if you get him at a WR20-25 valuation and can survive weeks 1-4 with a decent record. you get a potential low end WR1 for the rest of the season.... it could be argued if the seahawks are indeed bad it could mean garbage time potential as well. hoping to hear more over the coming weeks.

I'm up in a draft at 4.10 and he is sitting there staring at me.

It is occurring to me that that another thing to contemplate is that if Seattle is a dumpster fire, is there concern that he may be shut down at some point when we are looking at the fantasy playoffs if we are looking at a degenerative/maintenance issue with his knee?

The paucity of information really sucks.  That said, this is a classic case of not overthinking the situation.  Seattle's offensive line sucked last year and the team was a mess.  Baldwin did just fine last year.  Now, Graham and Richardson are gone and the defense is worse.  This should lead to more redzone and overall more targets for Baldwin this year.  Wilson trusts him and the offensive as a whole may not be better than last year, but it certainly won't be worse.  I'm taking Carroll's comments at face value and hoping his knee is fine for week 1 and am keeping him at a moderately high price in a auction league.  Some risk, sure, but if the knee is ok, he'll be a WR1 all year with more TD's than last year. 

Edited by Silver & Black

5 minutes ago, Silver & Black said:

The paucity of information really sucks.  That said, this is a classic case of not overthinking the situation.  Seattle's offensive line sucked last year and the team was a mess.  Baldwin did just fine last year.  Now, Graham and Richardson are gone and the defense is worse.  This should lead to more redzone and overall more targets for Baldwin this year.  Wilson trusts him and the offensive as a whole may not be better than last year, but it certainly won't be worse.  I'm taking Carroll's comments at face value and hoping his knee is fine for week 1 and am keeping him at a moderately high price in a auction league.  Some risk, sure, but if the knee is ok, he'll be a WR1 all year with more TD's than last year. 

I'd feel better if this was a short term injury like a mild sprain but the words, "indefinitely", "special treatments", and "degenerative" do scare me.

Having said that, I do agree with you on the upside, just trying to figure out where the risk/reward moment is in a draft.