Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
finito

Doug Baldwin

Dugar, Michael-Shawn‏Verified account @MikeDugar 3h3 hours ago

Doug Baldwin was doing sprints off on the far field by himself earlier. First time I’ve seen him doing that at practice.

Being able to sprint =/= being able to change direction, go in and come out of breaks and etc. But seeing as how the range of outcomes were "Doug Baldwin is resigned to a wheelchair for the rest of his life." to "Doug Baldwin is good/great value." and this news assuredly shrinks that range and shifts it in a positive direction. 

Edited by SameSongNDance
  • Like 2

On 8/14/2018 at 9:29 AM, Silver & Black said:

The paucity of information really sucks.  That said, this is a classic case of not overthinking the situation.  Seattle's offensive line sucked last year and the team was a mess.  Baldwin did just fine last year.  Now, Graham and Richardson are gone and the defense is worse.  This should lead to more redzone and overall more targets for Baldwin this year.  Wilson trusts him and the offensive as a whole may not be better than last year, but it certainly won't be worse.  I'm taking Carroll's comments at face value and hoping his knee is fine for week 1 and am keeping him at a moderately high price in a auction league.  Some risk, sure, but if the knee is ok, he'll be a WR1 all year with more TD's than last year. 

That is dangerous- he is notoriously optimistic about everything. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ilov80s said:

Oh, no doubt there is risk here.  The whole situation is risky.  But we haven't heard anything about an MRI or anything like that.  Being optimistic is one thing.  Saying he has no doubt he will be ready for week 1 is something else.  Risk, yhea.  But if he is ok to start the year, I think he could lead the league in targets this year.  I'm all in.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Silver & Black said:

Oh, no doubt there is risk here.  The whole situation is risky.  But we haven't heard anything about an MRI or anything like that.  Being optimistic is one thing.  Saying he has no doubt he will be ready for week 1 is something else.  Risk, yhea.  But if he is ok to start the year, I think he could lead the league in targets this year.  I'm all in.

I agree on the targets and he is getting a discount right now, so that could be a blessing in disguise. I just hate leaning into injuries. I feel like when I've bought into discounted injury guys, it has usually backfired. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Downright happy-go-lucky at times. :doh: 

This  makes me feel a little better.  I guess.  I'm still not thrilled with the way they keep saying they still believe he is on target to be ready for week 1, but i'll take whatever good news I can get at this point.  I could live without all the mystery. 

55 minutes ago, Silver & Black said:

This  makes me feel a little better.  I guess.  I'm still not thrilled with the way they keep saying they still believe he is on target to be ready for week 1, but i'll take whatever good news I can get at this point.  I could live without all the mystery. 

if his injury is an mcl sprain, running straightline sprints doesn't mean a whole lot. if he is cutting and running routes... color me more hopeful. carroll is notoriously overly optimisitc about injuries. the initial report was week 1 target return...

Speaking Tuesday, Doug Baldwin said his injured knee will never be 100 percent this season.

Baldwin estimates he's 80-85 percent healthy as he gets ready to face the Broncos and Chris Harris in Week 1. It's a major concern for a Seahawks team already dealing with a dearth of weapons. Going on 30, Baldwin is going to need his guttiest season yet.

Source: Mike Vorel on Twitter 

Aug 28 - 3:44 PM

Easy guys.  Read the entire blurb.  He started the interview off by saying he hasn't felt 100% since birth.  He talked about being around football all his life and never feeling 100% and being happy to be back on the field etc.  Sounds to me like he didn't really hurt his knee so much as he is getting older, has been playing his whole life and his knee is sore from wear and tear.  If that's true, that's fine by me.  No structural damage or whatever, just getting older.  He's my number one guy and I still feel good about him, especially since I heard he looks great since coming back. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, rickyg said:

thankd goodness I just read that before my draft tomorrow. Hello, Tyler Lockett!

That's an odd way of spelling Nick Vannett.

4 minutes ago, Silver & Black said:

Easy guys. Read the entire blurb. He started the interview off by saying he hasn't felt 100% since birth. He talked about being around football all his life and never feeling 100% and being happy to be back on the field etc. Sounds to me like he didn't really hurt his knee so much as he is getting older, has been playing his whole life and his knee is sore from wear and tear. If that's true, that's fine by me. No structural damage or whatever, just getting older. He's my number one guy and I still feel good about him, especially since I heard he looks great since coming back.

Well here's part of the interview. To be fair no one is ever 100% you just don't want to hear it come out of the player's mouth. I don't know, it just doesn't instill confidence

I know last year he would completely disappear at times and there was some speculation that he was injured. But that kind of is just Baldwin's game. 

Love the optimism @Statorama and @cjv123, and that's a great perspective I haven't heard @Silver & Black.

But I have to agree with @SameSongNDance that this isn't the news you want to hear from a receiver's mouth -- especially one at the cusp of being 30. It is almost like hearing excuses for a poor season before it begins.

He will get targets, but while I was hoping for a bounce-back to his 2015/2016 >1K yards, >80 receptions, >8 TDs, I am really nervous I'm staring in the face of a 50/750/4 season from a guy I drafted to be one of my starting WRs. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Love the optimism @Statorama and @cjv123, and that's a great perspective I haven't heard @Silver & Black.

But I have to agree with @SameSongNDance that this isn't the news you want to hear from a receiver's mouth -- especially one at the cusp of being 30. It is almost like hearing excuses for a poor season before it begins.

He will get targets, but while I was hoping for a bounce-back to his 2015/2016 >1K yards, >80 receptions, >8 TDs, I am really nervous I'm staring in the face of a 50/750/4 season from a guy I drafted to be one of my starting WRs. 

No doubt.  I'd have much preferred to have heard him say he feels great after the time off and is ready to rock and roll for the season.  Unfortunately, that's not the case.  Hopefully, he continues to feel better and can stay on the field. IF he can, whatever his percentage, he's gonna see a ton of targets and is still Wilson's most trusted WR.  Fingers crossed....

So where does all the RZ targets go now that Graham gone?? 

13 minutes ago, Just Win Baby said:

I predict a lot of them will go to WR Marshall

The guy is 2 years removed from a good year, 34 years old and was almost cut.    

48 minutes ago, stlrams said:

The guy is 2 years removed from a good year, 34 years old and was almost cut.    

You don't have to agree, but you asked, and I answered. Were you asking a rhetorical question, or did you actually want someone to answer?

And he was not almost cut.

Edited by Just Win Baby

1 hour ago, Silver & Black said:

Any Seattle homers with any info on Baldwin??

I'm no homer, but I still agree with your take from 8/28. He'll be fine. I'm more worried about the possible emergence of Lockett than his injury. But realistically, should be plenty of targets to go around. Baldwin has produced well off of low targets his whole career. 

1 hour ago, Just Win Baby said:

You don't have to agree, but you asked, and I answered. Were you asking a rhetorical question, or did you actually want someone to answer?

And he was not almost cut.

No I was curious to peoples opinions because I'm honestly having a hard figuring out where RZ targets are going now.  My #1 guess would be more rushing attempts as most of Graham Td's were short yardage.   .

5 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

Anybody rolling with Baldwin week 1?

Leaning towards starting him over Crabtree and Robby Anderson, but my mind definitely isn't made up on the matter. 

8 minutes ago, FF Ninja said:

Leaning towards starting him over Crabtree and Robby Anderson, but my mind definitely isn't made up on the matter. 

I'm torn between him and Robert Woods for the Rams. But if Bell doesn't report soon, I might be going with this guy AND Woods (plus Sanders)

Just now, TheFanatic said:

I'm torn between him and Robert Woods for the Rams. But if Bell doesn't report soon, I might be going with this guy AND Woods (plus Sanders)

I like Woods a lot this year. He was on a tear when he was healthy last year. I'd definitely start Woods over Baldwin week 1. Would not be surprised if Woods outscores Baldwin on the year. Somebody has to catch those Goff TDs (Sammy somehow caught 8) and Cooks isn't good in the red zone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

Sounds a lot like my team.  Current starting 3 WRs are T. Hill, Baldwin, and Woods

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

Yes and Josh Gordon since they are my top 2 WRs. I got them both at what I considered a discount (4.09 and 5.04) - swing big or go home.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Yes and Josh Gordon since they are my top 2 WRs. I got them both at what I considered a discount (4.09 and 5.04) - swing big or go home.

I'm torn right now choosing between Gordon and Baldwin as my flex in week 1.  Each presents risk for different reasons.

1 minute ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Rolling with these two, as well.  Corey Davis is the final component of the three amigos.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FF Ninja said:

I like Woods a lot this year. He was on a tear when he was healthy last year. I'd definitely start Woods over Baldwin week 1. Would not be surprised if Woods outscores Baldwin on the year. Somebody has to catch those Goff TDs (Sammy somehow caught 8) and Cooks isn't good in the red zone.

No way would I start Woods over Baldwin. Last season average targets per game:

• Woods - 7.1
  • Kupp - 6.3
  • Watkins - 4.7
  • All other WRs (Austin, Cooper, Reynolds, Thomas) - 4.5

Call me crazy, but I think Cooks will get more targets than Watkins got last season. I expect Woods' average targets to drop, at least a little. If all of the top 3 WRs are healthy, I expect Cooks to lead in targets and Kupp and Watkins to be pretty even as the next two targets.

8 minutes ago, Ace08 said:

I'm torn right now choosing between Gordon and Baldwin as my flex in week 1. Each presents risk for different reasons.

20mph winds in CLE would be the kicker for me. 

1 minute ago, Just Win Baby said:

No way would I start Woods over Baldwin. Last season average targets per game:

• Woods - 7.1
  • Kupp - 6.3
  • Watkins - 4.7
  • All other WRs (Austin, Cooper, Reynolds, Thomas) - 4.5

Call me crazy, but I think Cooks will get more targets than Watkins got last season. I expect Woods' average targets to drop, at least a little. If all of the top 3 WRs are healthy, I expect Cooks to lead in targets and Kupp and Watkins to be pretty even as the next two targets.

You're not crazy, but I personally don't think Cooks is going to command that many targets. Which means I also question the trade and signing. If it was me running that organization, I think I'd have gone for a cheaper deep threat asset like Albert Wilson. This is because (1) they don't throw that much because they don't need to and (2) Woods and Kupp are pretty good, so they are getting diminishing returns the more money they pour into the position. 

I know we in the fantasy world would prefer the WR4-6 for teams to never get targets, but I really do think the Rams will stick primarily to their 3 WRs. The fact that the back ups got as many targets as Watkins speaks more to Watkins' inability to get on the same page as Goff than it does to the Rams' desire to get those guys involved. So I'm thinking it is possible for them to increase targets to Cooks without killing Woods and Kupp's value. It's also possible that Goff takes the next step and throws for 40 TDs, giving everyone value.

49 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

Yes.

Start 3 WRs

My WR4-6 is J. Edelman, D. Parker and Kirk so not a lot of other options at WR3. I probably would not start him in a 2 start WR format.

Given Baldwin's track record and place in the offense, and given his ADP and value even with this nagging knee, you would have to be pretty hard pressed NOT to play him in WK 1 in absence of any other evidence that Baldwin won't rise to the level expected of him by us demanding fantasy GMs.

5 balls, 60 yards seems like a lock so depending on his chances of a TD, I think that places Baldwin in Top 20 WR for the week. 

Unless you play in shallow leagues or went WR-WR with more WRs in the next 3 rounds, would imagine that there aren't many other WRs on your squad who have a clearer more favorable floor.

14 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Given Baldwin's track record and place in the offense, and given his ADP and value even with this nagging knee, you would have to be pretty hard pressed NOT to play him in WK 1 in absence of any other evidence that Baldwin won't rise to the level expected of him by us demanding fantasy GMs.

5 balls, 60 yards seems like a lock so depending on his chances of a TD, I think that places Baldwin in Top 20 WR for the week. 

Unless you play in shallow leagues or went WR-WR with more WRs in the next 3 rounds, would imagine that there aren't many other WRs on your squad who have a clearer more favorable floor.

I sure hope so. He just got inserted into my lineup to replace Leveon Bell. Not happy about it. Would like to let Baldwin ride the pine until I know he's healthy rather than hope he's healthy.