Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
finito

Doug Baldwin

4 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

I sure hope so. He just got inserted into my lineup to replace Leveon Bell. Not happy about it. Would like to let Baldwin ride the pine until I know he's healthy rather than hope he's healthy. 

I guess if you have the luxury of being able to sit a consensus Top 15 WR for someone with clearly better upside, then would be great to let him ride as the injury + matchup is admittedly not looking so hot.

This game will tell a lot about Baldwin's ability -- outside of the discount he'll likely take in stats being shadowed by Harris, what will really be telling is how he looks at game speed -- is he tentative in breaks, struggling to get separation, is the team using him more as a decoy? Or will he get his normal share of targets against his normal routes, and look unhampered in those routes in terms of mobility?

Nervous about how Baldwin will fare this year, but am cautiously optimistic. This guy is a baller.

1 hour ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

I guess if you have the luxury of being able to sit a consensus Top 15 WR for someone with clearly better upside, then would be great to let him ride as the injury + matchup is admittedly not looking so hot.

This game will tell a lot about Baldwin's ability -- outside of the discount he'll likely take in stats being shadowed by Harris, what will really be telling is how he looks at game speed -- is he tentative in breaks, struggling to get separation, is the team using him more as a decoy? Or will he get his normal share of targets against his normal routes, and look unhampered in those routes in terms of mobility?

Nervous about how Baldwin will fare this year, but am cautiously optimistic. This guy is a baller.

This is what worries me the most. He'll go out there and just keep Harris at bay while the rest of the receivers feast. 

Seahawks' Doug Baldwin (knee) practicing in full for Week 1

Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Doug Baldwin (knee) is practicing in full in preparation for Week 1 against the Denver Broncos.

WHAT IT MEANS:

Baldwin sat out all of the preseason with knee soreness, which he expects to stick with him all season long. There wasn't a doubt he would play in Week 1 and his practicing in full on Wednesday cements that. Baldwin will have a tough matchup against a stingy Broncos defense in Week 1 though.

numberFire's models project Baldwin for 4.9 catches, 71.4 yards, and 0.4 touchdowns for 11.7 FanDuel points in Week 1 against Denver.

Source: John Boyle, Seattle Seahawks

http://www.numberfire.com/nfl/player-news/96935/seahawks-doug-baldwin-knee-practicing-in-full-for-week-1

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/seahawks-doug-baldwin-full-practice-wednesday/

Edited by Dacomish

49 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

For giggles i took brandon marshall in the 18th round last nite...baldwin went in the 5th...too good a value to pass up

Should've gone Lockett. He's the Baldwin handcuff, IMO.

51 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Meh i dont like lockett.....

His skill set is much closer to Baldwin's than Marshall's is. And he's like a decade younger. And getting paid more than 10x as much.

1 hour ago, FF Ninja said:

His skill set is much closer to Baldwin's than Marshall's is. And he's like a decade younger. And getting paid more than 10x as much.

All true...still didnt draft him on my ff teams

Edited by bicycle_seat_sniffer

Coach Pete Carroll said Doug Baldwin has been diagnosed with a sprained right MCL.

The good news Baldwin's summer knee injury was to his left knee. The bad news is Baldwin is likely week to week and now has two knees at less than 100 percent. It's a big concern for Baldwin owners and the Seahawks alike. Tyler Lockett, Brandon Marshall, and Will Dissly carried Seattle's offense Sunday.

https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1038939598942920704

And this was to his good leg too...

Edited by The Frankman

On 9/6/2018 at 11:19 AM, TheFanatic said:

This is what worries me the most. He'll go out there and just keep Harris at bay while the rest of the receivers feast. 

My biggest fear was him starting and being a decoy :rant:

8 minutes ago, Statorama said:

Dreams of him putting up WR1 numbers this season all but gone.  Dang it.  

Alert level orange right now, not not not good.

If Cobb truly was on the trade block, I wonder if he would be a good fit in Seattle.  The thing is, GB receivers generally don't seem to produce much after leaving GB. 

Edited by Frank Black

Just now, Frank Black said:

If Cobb truly was on the trade block, I wonder if he would be a good fit in Seattle.  The thing is, GB receivers generally don't seem to produce much after leaving GB. 

He is a big part of the game plan in GB so far away in the second half.

I don’t think he was ever really on the block.

21 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Bad injury to Baldwin's other leg, and a huge kick in the nuts to my team. 

This FF season is killing me, all in Week 1.

Could be an OK thing if this is only a few week injury.  3 more weeks to heal/rest that wonky right knee.

They'll likely do an MRI tomorrow. If there is no meniscus or ACL injury, I'd expect 2-4 weeks out.

I don't think this hurts Wilson's value a ton, or at least it didn't today, but it could probably bump Marshall and Lockett to solid WR3 or flex plays, and Jaron Brown to a situational flex.

Doug Baldwin (knee) reportedly suffered a Grade 2 partial MCL tear in the Seahawks' Week 1 loss to the Broncos.

Seattle is still gauging exactly how much time Baldwin will miss. Grade 2 "sprains" typically result in a 2-3 week absence pending severity. Brandon Marshall buoyed Baldwin's injury into a 3-46-1 receiving line Sunday and should be considered Seattle's most consistent receiver until the latter returns. Tyler Lockett remains a high-upside, low-floor WR3.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Sep 10 - 4:30 PM

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Doug Baldwin could be out "a couple weeks."

"He’s really gonna go a few days at a time here," Carroll said. "Let’s see what happens. We’ll wait and see." Carroll indicated he wasn't expecting Baldwin to play Monday night against the Bears or the following week against the Cowboys, placing his recovery timetable around the initially expected 2-4 week-mark. Keenan Reynolds was called from the practice squad to replace Baldwin in the interim.

Source: Brady Henderson on Twitter 

Sep 11 - 7:05 PM

I mean, on the plus side his other originally bad knee will actually have time to heal a bit now. Possible he's more effective after their bye or whatever, for fantasy, than he would have been if this injury never happened and he was barely practicing all season. Maybe he makes an impact later in the season now. 

2 hours ago, Elevencents said:

Dropped. Am I missing something? He’s worth a stash right?

ETA: 38th on top 200. Not sure if that’s post diagnosis or not. 

If you have a roster spot, snag him immediately. Yes, there is risk, but the upside is a top 15 WR if he can get healthy.

Seattle doesn't have much in the way of offense, and he is essentially a key cog there.

If he can get healthy, he can be a true difference maker on your squad for a late season run. (That aside, I'd like to see your roster construction, as I tend to value early season bench spots fairly preciously)

Their bye week is week 7, and if they hold him out until then to get him healthy.... (which I wouldn't mind at all) they have some good matchups late in the fantasy season.

Including San Francisco in weeks 13 and 15, and FANTASY CHAMPIONSHIP WEEK 16 THEY FACE KC IN SEATTLE.  That one reeks of a shootout.

I was super high on him all preseason knowing Seattle has limited weapons and a terrible defense thats on the decline, which should lead to shootouts, but his knee issues are now even more concerning.

If he gets healthy, he has the potential to be a real help late season.

FWIW - I am assuming we are going to know exactly how healthy he is, along about week 9-10 or so. So by then you could drop him if needed or if he is not right. His latest knee injury, should be something he can play through in 3-4 weeks.

TZM

Edited by TZMarkie
  • Like 2

Put a flyer in for him for once he clears waivers. Would be dropping Paul Richardson for him. I’m ok with that. 

Current depth: M Thomas, T Hill, Landry, Goodwin, Kupp, Richardson

With Goodwin being “hurt” would have 2 WRs not 100% and leave me quasi-thin at the position but if I’m at the point I’m starting Richardson I’m in trouble anyway. 

ETA: Actually just realized I could drop a backup LB for him and still have a legal roster. May do that instead. 

Edited by Elevencents
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Elevencents said:

Dropped. Am I missing something? He’s worth a stash right?

ETA: 38th on top 200. Not sure if that’s post diagnosis or not. 

Dropped in one of my league as well.

I'd have to burn one of my "3 waiver pick up" weeks. Only have two all season. 

Very tempting.

My WR depth is pretty good: S. Diggs, L. Fitz, J. Gordon, T. Lockett, K. Golloday.

And I can start 4 WRs.

I'd drop Rod Smith (who if Zeke gets hurt, that offense just goes completely in the toilet).

No brainer?

8 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Dropped in one of my league as well.

I'd have to burn one of my "3 waiver pick up" weeks. Only have two all season. 

Very tempting.

My WR depth is pretty good: S. Diggs, L. Fitz, J. Gordon, T. Lockett, K. Golloday.

And I can start 4 WRs.

I'd drop Rod Smith (who if Zeke gets hurt, that offense just goes completely in the toilet).

No brainer?

That’s honestly tough. You certainly don’t “need” him and I would be worried to have only two moves left in case of injury at say TE or QB where you prob don’t have depth. I’d lean yes but tough without knowing all the details. 

I picked up Brandon Marshall who will benefit from Baldwin being out. While Marshall undeniably won't perform to the level and consistency Baldwin can, his targets will go up and that's good in PPR. 

Not expecting much, and their may have been better WRs out there (Enunwa, Ginn) but having burned my first high-priority waiver claim to protect Fournette, was happy to land Marshall as a replacement for Baldwin -- hoping Wilson continues to look his way (led all pass catchers and TEs in targets) and trust him in end zone shots (1 TD, a second one called back to penalty on Marshall). And hoping it's just a stop-gap until Baldwin comes back healed and ready to fire on all cylinders -- preferably before the bye.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

I picked up Brandon Marshall who will benefit from Baldwin being out. While Marshall undeniably won't perform to the level and consistency Baldwin can, his targets will go up and that's good in PPR. 

Not expecting much, and their may have been better WRs out there (Enunwa, Ginn) but having burned my first high-priority waiver claim to protect Fournette, was happy to land Marshall as a replacement for Baldwin -- hoping Wilson continues to look his way (led all pass catchers and TEs in targets) and trust him in end zone shots (1 TD, a second one called back to penalty on Marshall). And hoping it's just a stop-gap until Baldwin comes back healed and ready to fire on all cylinders -- preferably before the bye.

Don't close the door completely on Marshall's upside. His game was never predicated on speed.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hilts said:

If you've got the space to wait 4-6 weeks he sends like a fantastic grab and stash. If you don't, he's not. 

What makes you think he will be out another 4-6 weeks?

According to Fausts post 9 days ago Baldwin has a grade two MCL sprain which normally takes 2-3 weeks to recover from. No he won't play next week, but this means he could be back as soon as week 4 of the season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

What makes you think he will be out another 4-6 weeks?

According to Fausts post 9 days ago Baldwin has a grade two MCL sprain which normally takes 2-3 weeks to recover from. No he won't play next week, but this means he could be back as soon as week 4 of the season.

I'm a pessimist when it comes to projections. I'd view anything sooner than a month to be a nice bonus, but I don't want my team to be in a position to NEED him to return sooner. 

Though I should be clear my bleak timeline includes the time he missed. Not an additional 4-6 weeks. 

• Like 2

I'm still holding on in two leagues where Wilson is my QB.  In one short bench league (standard scoring) I've managed to go 2-0 getting zeroes from him in the lineup.  I've been prepared to drop someone for the likes of Lockett, Allison, Garcon, Godwin, Golliday (well he got scooped this week) the last two weeks, but it hasn't been necessary.  I have Sanders and Edelman in this league and hope I can make it to week 5.

In the other league (half PPR) I have ODB, Sanders and Tate.  No need to drop him in that one, and I'm 1-1.

Edited by icehouse

9 minutes ago, Hilts said:

I'm a pessimist when it comes to projections. I'd view anything sooner than a month to be a nice bonus, but I don't want my team to be in a position to NEED him to return sooner. 

Though I should be clear my bleak timeline includes the time he missed. Not an additional 4-6 weeks. 

Yeah I can totally see looking at the worst case scenario when considering rostering him or trading for him. If you don't expect much then you are less frequently disappointed.

Thanks for clairifying what you meant by 4-6 weeks. I was thinking you may have meant from today.

I think it is good roster management to not count on injured players as options in your line up. I remember when I was treating Randy Moss that way when he went to the Raiders. Because I wasn't counting on him, I acquired many other good WR. When Moss went to the Patriots, it was pretty nice to have him, even though I didn't need him.

I don't know when/if Baldwin will be healthy. Best case would be week 4 based on the information we have. It very well might be longer than that. 

I thought maybe you knew something I hadn't heard yet.

Edited by Biabreakable
  • Like 1

I am actually debating trading Baldwin at this point, even if the return is below what I think his ROS potential might look like when he comes back.

At this point, it looks like Lockett and to some degree Marshall are holding up their own, if not blowing barn doors off in terms of performance. Even if Baldwin returns to form, I think the time Wilson is spending with these receivers force/earn a little more trust, especially if they can win a few.

I think Baldwin is out until the bye. 

I was thinking of a guy like Fitz or Kupp, but if not, also wonder if offering for Lockett and a value throw-in flyuer with upside is actually a good move -- while a downgrade, Lockett seems the best bet on this squad to hold his own going forward even when Baldwin returns, and I think he has a ROS value around Fitz (with my league scoring) although I think most owners perceive Lockett to be rated much lower (T35 or lower?).

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

I am actually debating trading Baldwin at this point, even if the return is below what I think his ROS potential might look like when he comes back.

At this point, it looks like Lockett and to some degree Marshall are holding up their own, if not blowing barn doors off in terms of performance. Even if Baldwin returns to form, I think the time Wilson is spending with these receivers force/earn a little more trust, especially if they can win a few.

I think Baldwin is out until the bye. 

I was thinking of a guy like Fitz or Kupp, but if not, also wonder if offering for Lockett and a value throw-in flyuer with upside is actually a good move -- while a downgrade, Lockett seems the best bet on this squad to hold his own going forward even when Baldwin returns, and I think he has a ROS value around Fitz (with my league scoring) although I think most owners perceive Lockett to be rated much lower (T35 or lower?).

I actually have Baldwin as my WR3 in one league, behind MICHAEL THOMAS AND AJ GREEN. (yes I went WR-WR at slot 12 in my draft) I then picked up Baldwin later.

Although I am absolutely loving the idea of a Baldwin return to form and rolling him out as my WR3, that could well be a massive edge for me against the other teams at WR.

But something is telling me to go ahead and cut bait if I can get "fair" value for him.  I was fortunate to snag Enunwa last week (and Brandon Marshall as a fill in), but its starting to look and feel like a scenario where it might be a lost cause for the rest of the season with Baldwin.  It might very well turn out to be one of those "even if hes is considered fairly healthy, he might put up low end WR2 #s"  type of scenarios.  He may well have lost some burst, and trotting out a stud like this in these situations might lead to one of those fantasy point black holes we have talked about in the past.  (you know, the kind where you put him in , week after week, and look for 10+ points, only to get a steady stream of 6 point lines)  That is the slow and silent killer in fantasy.

The horrific look of the Seahawks offense makes it all the more worrisome to look at.

I hate to cut bait at this point, and to be honest you would be selling at his lowest point. But there are quite a few red flags now, and injury is only part of the worry now.

I'll likely stick it out with him for a few more weeks to see if he comes to life, but if a solid offer came along, I might just have to take it. This is a tough one.

TZM

Edited by TZMarkie
  • Like 2

Someone dropped him the other week so I snagged him off waivers. He would be my WR4 so I am tempted to try and move Landry (my WR3) for keeper rights on someone like a Golladay but I’m not sure if I like the unknown of Baldwin upon return. Kupp would slide into my WR3 spot if Baldwin falters so not a huge drop off but not sure I want to risk it right now. Especially, like was said earlier, how Seattle looks this year.