What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

To parents of baseball kids under 12 (1 Viewer)

Charlie Steiner

Footballguy
If your baseball playing/loving son/daughter hasn't reached age 12 yet and you haven't heard about it yet, please try to arrange getting on a team going to the Cooperstown Dreams Park for their 12U season. For those unfamiliar, the Cooperstown Dreams Park has run weekly tournaments from June through August since 1996 and is open to any team eligible to play 12U (born after May 1 of the calendar year). I can't do it justice in this thread, but my son's team participated 2 weeks ago and it was an amazing time for him and for me as well, and I wanted to share a little of that.

There was the full spectrum of playing ability on display there, from teams of hand-picked kids across multiple states and rumored to fly in extra kids just to pitch in one playoff game on down to undersized local/town teams from around the USA and Canada. After 3 days of doubleheaders (including at least 2 webcast games per team for all the folks at home), all 104 teams were seeded in a single-elimination tournament, wherein the teams with the better records received byes for up to the 5th round, and the teams with lesser records played each other (104 v. 103, etc.) in order to try to match similar records to promote parity early in the playoffs. Teams and their coaches are given barracks to stay in at the park, and meals are provided for the particpants. There were opening and closing ceremonies and skills competitions in which each team participated, and the park's staff and groundscrew not only provided first-rate service but also first-rate treatment for all.

The cost is a little pricey for non-FBG's, though not out of line with other travel baseball destinations, and if you get in now with a team headed there, you can start fundraising now. The cost of lodging is in line with other vacation spots, and there are plenty of places/ways there to each on the cheap. Cooperstown itself, while mostly a tourist spot, also has reasonably priced shops. For most of the tournament week, Cooperstown itself wasn't too crowded, and even though it's only 4-5 blocks long, if you're a baseball enthusiast, you won't get bored. The HOF inductions took place the day after we left, so it was interesting to see the increase in visitors toward the end of the week.

FWIW, my son's team got a favorable draw of teams and went 5-1 in pool play and lost in the playoff round to the team that beat them in pool play, both games being one-run affairs. If anyone else has been, please feel free to share your experience. :thumbup:

Answering for CS.

Never heard of it. When I coached it was 14-16 year olds and that would been out of our price range for our league. And I coached from 93-98ish.

I currently "coach" 6 year old softball :)

Does sound cool though

Answering for CS.Never heard of it. When I coached it was 14-16 year olds and that would been out of our price range for our league. And I coached from 93-98ish. I currently "coach" 6 year old softball :)Does sound cool though
As you see, it dropped like a lazy fly in a tee-ball game. Thanks for bumping this, hopefully other baseball parents who frequent this board will see it again. I know the timing for this thread may seem off, but it really is something that needs to be planned for as early as possible.There were a lot of 'town' teams and rec league all-star type teams there the week we went, and while it can be pricey, if you start fundraising a year or more out, like my son's team did, it falls in line with a lot of travel tournaments. For my son's team, this was the last season of ball before moving to the full-sized field, so it really was the perfect place to cap off their youth baseball careers, a sentiment some other teams that go there may share. Despite the wide range of teams, it really is for the most part a celebration of baseball. :thumbup:

Answering for CS.

Never heard of it. When I coached it was 14-16 year olds and that would been out of our price range for our league. And I coached from 93-98ish.

I currently "coach" 6 year old softball :)

Does sound cool though
As you see, it dropped like a lazy fly in a tee-ball game. Thanks for bumping this, hopefully other baseball parents who frequent this board will see it again. I know the timing for this thread may seem off, but it really is something that needs to be planned for as early as possible.There were a lot of 'town' teams and rec league all-star type teams there the week we went, and while it can be pricey, if you start fundraising a year or more out, like my son's team did, it falls in line with a lot of travel tournaments.

For my son's team, this was the last season of ball before moving to the full-sized field, so it really was the perfect place to cap off their youth baseball careers, a sentiment some other teams that go there may share. Despite the wide range of teams, it really is for the most part a celebration of baseball. :thumbup:
Pfffttt - My daughter has 2 fly ball put outs. Of course 4 months later and multiple explanations they still don't understand why they had to throw to first for the "double play" :P Does sound really cool. I may send it to our baseball board. Although we are a bit separated in softball. It really is 2 entities where we live opposed how it was all "one league" where I grew up.

Reminds me of baseball camp at Williamsport :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
OK Charlie, my son just finished his 11U baseball season. Team is now starting to plan for Cooperstown Dreams Park at 12U next July 2014.

We have our certificate and I don't think we can get a date secured until sometime this fall, however it would be nice to get ahead in planning. Could use some good advise on places to stay for the families and any other tips.

Just heard about this the other week. Passed the idea on to my son's 11U coach. He is currently considering it. It sounds like a great idea and something that could be a big time lifelong memory for the kids.

Just heard about this the other week. Passed the idea on to my son's 11U coach. He is currently considering it. It sounds like a great idea and something that could be a big time lifelong memory for the kids.
You need to obtain a certificate to play at Dreams Park. I've heard people sell them online for thousands of dollars (ours was passed along from an older team). There is another similar place in Cooperstown that is newer called All Star Village where I believe you do not need a certificate.

My son's team played at All Star Village in 2011. All Star Village is located in Oneonta, about 20 miles southwest of Cooperstown. Same type of setup, but much more intimate. There were 36 teams playing the week we were there. All level of competition, with teams from all over the nation. All fields were 200 foot fences, and our team hit 45 home runs in 11 games. We went 10-1 and won the tourney. Roughly 3000 fans crowded around to watch the final. The boys were treated like rock stars. Once in a lifetime experience.

Cooperstown itself is pretty impressive. Kids running all over in their baseball gear. If you go, you should really check out getting your son a custom bat from Cooperstown Bat Company. They can take your trading pin and transfer the art to the bat along with the kids name, jersey number, tourny stats, etc. My son has his in a case on the wall in his bedroom, along with his tournament ring and his 9 home run balls. :proud:

OK Charlie, my son just finished his 11U baseball season. Team is now starting to plan for Cooperstown Dreams Park at 12U next July 2014.

We have our certificate and I don't think we can get a date secured until sometime this fall, however it would be nice to get ahead in planning. Could use some good advise on places to stay for the families and any other tips.
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy for you guys!

I went in with 3 other dads on a house, and the one who had been there before took care of the arrangements, but it's pretty basic. There are a couple of hotels and a lot of houses to rent. This site is as good as any. When we went, the parents were scattered all over the place but one group got a place near the lake, which if you can afford it, I would highly recommend, especially if you're bringing siblings. The lake is beautiful and so clear that you can see your toes even when the water is up to your chest. It's also close to Leatherstocking Golf Course, which is expensive but if you got the money, you'll have the time. The houses are going to be old, but since they're rented out 3.5 months a year, they're in good shape. The house we rented was built in the 19th century, but it had A/C, satellite TV and internet.

As far as activities, I didn't do a whole lot, as our budget was stretched pretty thin and while prices weren't out of whack there, nevertheless everything cost money. One of the dads that stayed with us went to the Ommegang Brewery and enjoyed it. The one thing I did get to do that meant the most to me was when we kind of stumbled upon Doubleday Field and caught part of a game being played there. In some ways, there's not much to do there but in others, you'll be surprised at how 'busy' you day can be even when your kid's not playing.

Bottom line, I think that your experience will be different from mine, but I will almost guarantee you're going to have as much fun as your son. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post updates when you can, and if you're daring, let us know when his team is on one of the fields with a webcam.

Sorry I can't post any more, it's getting kind of misty in here...

My son's team played at All Star Village in 2011. All Star Village is located in Oneonta, about 20 miles southwest of Cooperstown. Same type of setup, but much more intimate. There were 36 teams playing the week we were there. All level of competition, with teams from all over the nation. All fields were 200 foot fences, and our team hit 45 home runs in 11 games. We went 10-1 and won the tourney. Roughly 3000 fans crowded around to watch the final. The boys were treated like rock stars. Once in a lifetime experience.

Cooperstown itself is pretty impressive. Kids running all over in their baseball gear. If you go, you should really check out getting your son a custom bat from Cooperstown Bat Company. They can take your trading pin and transfer the art to the bat along with the kids name, jersey number, tourny stats, etc. My son has his in a case on the wall in his bedroom, along with his tournament ring and his 9 home run balls. :proud:
ABSOLUTELY SECOND the custom bat, and I'll add that despite the volume of business they do, they are great at turning around the orders almost as quickly as they're placed. If you want to avoid the rush, you can go to their website and order ahead of time, minus the game information, of course.

The fences at Dreams Park are also 200', but my son only came close to hitting one out once. Bottom of the last inning, tying run was on 2nd and he hit one that honestly hit about 3" from the top of the fence. As it was their first game, they weren't accustomed to the fence and the runner didn't go until the ball hit the fence and only got to 3rd and got thrown later out at home trying to advance on a passed ball, so :( .

Bumping this post again because I forgot to touch on a couple of things Trey said in the 2nd paragraph. First, regarding the trading pins. Please budget for this as well, as some teams go all out with the creativity and bring some cool pins. For example, the team from Hawaii the week we were there had the 'hot' pin, as it was a little surfboard instead of just a little square like most of the others. Also, have your son be sure to check with the umpires to see if they have a pin to trade, especially the 'Amish' umpire. The 'Amish' (he's going to stand out like a sore thumb, you can't miss him) ump only brings a few with him, so find him early. Second, regarding the case for your son's memorabilia. I don't know if I'd call it a 'must-have', but again try to budget for one, especially if he gets into the pin trading. Also, my son's coach had to drop the hint that the custom bats with the logo and players' names on them make great coaches gifts, so maybe you can pass that along to a team mom and you guys can do that behind their backs and really surprise them at the end of the tournament.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy for you guys!

I went in with 3 other dads on a house, and the one who had been there before took care of the arrangements, but it's pretty basic. There are a couple of hotels and a lot of houses to rent. This site is as good as any. When we went, the parents were scattered all over the place but one group got a place near the lake, which if you can afford it, I would highly recommend, especially if you're bringing siblings. The lake is beautiful and so clear that you can see your toes even when the water is up to your chest. It's also close to Leatherstocking Golf Course, which is expensive but if you got the money, you'll have the time. The houses are going to be old, but since they're rented out 3.5 months a year, they're in good shape. The house we rented was built in the 19th century, but it had A/C, satellite TV and internet.

As far as activities, I didn't do a whole lot, as our budget was stretched pretty thin and while prices weren't out of whack there, nevertheless everything cost money. One of the dads that stayed with us went to the Ommegang Brewery and enjoyed it. The one thing I did get to do that meant the most to me was when we kind of stumbled upon Doubleday Field and caught part of a game being played there. In some ways, there's not much to do there but in others, you'll be surprised at how 'busy' you day can be even when your kid's not playing.

Bottom line, I think that your experience will be different from mine, but I will almost guarantee you're going to have as much fun as your son. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post updates when you can, and if you're daring, let us know when his team is on one of the fields with a webcam.

Sorry I can't post any more, it's getting kind of misty in here...
Also highly recommend the August Lodge to stay at. Right across the street from the park. Awesome accommodations.

Thanks for the info guys. Looking forward to it. Will keep you updated as we move along in the process.
Mrs Keerock has a whole list of items to pack for the players in the barracks. Lots of things you'd never think of that makes their life easier. I'll have her dig it up.

Found this on another message board. Putting it here for future reference.

A parent went through and compiled the following list combining tips and suggestions from around the internet in preparation for our teams trip to Cooperstown Dream Park this summer. Thanks Dan!

UNIFORMS
Cooperstown provides:
Red game jersey (home)
Blue game jersey (away)
Red socks (home)
Blue socks (away)
Blue and red game hat

Bring:
White *knee high* pants
Belt
Sliding shorts
Underarmor
Cleats
Team jacket for rainy/cold days
Team hat to wear to meals, hall of fame, etc
Equipment
All clothes/items you pack should have your last name on them

PERSONAL ITEMS:
Mesh bag/small backpack with personal items that can be carried to the showers:
Gel soap, (not messy bar) shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant
Flip flops/slides that can be worn to and in shower
Gold Bond Powder or Tinactin (for jock itch/athletes foot in sweaty barracks)
Two towels/washcloths for showering (so you have one dry and one in the laundry or hanging up)

BARACKS:
Twin sheets and comforter or sleeping bag
Pillow with pillow case
Combination lock for foot locker
Clip-on fan for bed with extension cord if you want
Warm and cool clothes for outside of games
Comfortable shoes for hall of fame, etc
Phone, ipod, reading material, etc- can all be locked in footlocker
Team pins, plus golf towel or bag to store pins collected
Money for concessions, arcade, team trip to hall of fame, etc

FAMILY TIPS:
-Be prepared for rain delays that result in late night games
-Each day team will need a case of water/ice in the team cooler for the dug-out. Maybe parents can take turns bringing and filling. Good for coaches to keep a second cooler in the barracks with water/ice for outside of games. Tap water there is not good.
-Covered fan section with chairs but some would still want to bring rain umbrellas and chairs
-No room for awnings but sun umbrellas ok
-No large coolers allowed aside from team cooler
-Plan on very crowded restaurants with long waits
-If you want to buy pictures buy them in the park, can't buy them later
-Family at home can watch games on Dreamspark TV
-Park in lot A or B NOT C (congested) for opening ceremony and skills competition Saturday.

COACH TIPS:
-Have kids use a Sharpie to write name on all uniform pieces and clothes going into laundry service
-Recommended to pay to get laundry service all week
-Kids need to wear Dreamspark jerseys to hall of fame to get in free
-Bring a lawn chair to sit outside the barracks door
-First aid station in the village will give ice for sore arms as well as medical supplies
-Bring a rope to use as clothesline for towels in the barracks
-Bring a flashlight
-Make a list of locker combinations

Bumping this post again because I forgot to touch on a couple of things Trey said in the 2nd paragraph. First, regarding the trading pins. Please budget for this as well, as some teams go all out with the creativity and bring some cool pins. For example, the team from Hawaii the week we were there had the 'hot' pin, as it was a little surfboard instead of just a little square like most of the others. Also, have your son be sure to check with the umpires to see if they have a pin to trade, especially the 'Amish' umpire. The 'Amish' (he's going to stand out like a sore thumb, you can't miss him) ump only brings a few with him, so find him early. Second, regarding the case for your son's memorabilia. I don't know if I'd call it a 'must-have', but again try to budget for one, especially if he gets into the pin trading. Also, my son's coach had to drop the hint that the custom bats with the logo and players' names on them make great coaches gifts, so maybe you can pass that along to a team mom and you guys can do that behind their backs and really surprise them at the end of the tournament.
Charlie- which pin company did you use? We are looking at just using the one Dreams Park lists on their website as their "official" pin company (cooperstownpins.com) but it would be good to price some other options.

Bumping this post again because I forgot to touch on a couple of things Trey said in the 2nd paragraph. First, regarding the trading pins. Please budget for this as well, as some teams go all out with the creativity and bring some cool pins. For example, the team from Hawaii the week we were there had the 'hot' pin, as it was a little surfboard instead of just a little square like most of the others. Also, have your son be sure to check with the umpires to see if they have a pin to trade, especially the 'Amish' umpire. The 'Amish' (he's going to stand out like a sore thumb, you can't miss him) ump only brings a few with him, so find him early. Second, regarding the case for your son's memorabilia. I don't know if I'd call it a 'must-have', but again try to budget for one, especially if he gets into the pin trading. Also, my son's coach had to drop the hint that the custom bats with the logo and players' names on them make great coaches gifts, so maybe you can pass that along to a team mom and you guys can do that behind their backs and really surprise them at the end of the tournament. Speaking of pins, there are umpires that also trade pins, and rumor during our week was that one of the most rare and coveted pins came from the 'Amish' ump. I don't know if he's there every week, but you'll be able to id
Charlie- which pin company did you use? We are looking at just using the one Dreams Park lists on their website as their "official" pin company (cooperstownpins.com) but it would be good to price some other options.
Hi Al. The assistant coach that took care of this is no longer around, so I don't know who they went with, but I'm guessing it was through one of the vendors recommended by CDP, since the pins were pretty generic. Maybe your local trophy shop may have something as well, though they may not have anything in a reasonable price range. Speaking of pins, look for the 'Amish' ump. I don't know if he's there every week, but his pin was one of the more rare and coveted pins the week we were there.

Got our date for Dreamspark! June 21- June 27th, 2014.
You're coming down the home stretch now, just 4 short weeks; is the team ready? If you don't mind, please share the name of the team, I'm such a geek about this I'm hoping to follow their progress...
Can't believe it's getting so close. Time is flying by. I think (hope) the team is ready.

Will send you and Kee a PM with the link once they make it available on the DreamsPark website. Super excited for this trip!

You're coming down the home stretch now, just 4 short weeks; is the team ready? If you don't mind, please share the name of the team, I'm such a geek about this I'm hoping to follow their progress...
Can't believe it's getting so close. Time is flying by. I think (hope) the team is ready.

Will send you and Kee a PM with the link once they make it available on the DreamsPark website. Super excited for this trip!
:thumbup:

Looking forward to following you guys. Also wouldn't mind updates during the week if you get the chance.

Hey Charlie and Keerock, quick question for you guys. I know the boys need to bring their own baseball pants (white, worn at the knee, no strips/piping). However, I see some websites say you should bring two pair. Is that really necessary? The boys get laundry service for crying out loud, why would I need to buy two pair?

Hey Charlie and Keerock, quick question for you guys. I know the boys need to bring their own baseball pants (white, worn at the knee, no strips/piping). However, I see some websites say you should bring two pair. Is that really necessary? The boys get laundry service for crying out loud, why would I need to buy two pair?
We brought two pair. They will play several games some days and it's nice to have a clean pair in the ready.

I wasn't privy to the details of how efficient the laundry service was, but with 2 games/day, and 100+ teams' worth of laundry to do, it's probably a 'better safe than sorry' rationale.

My sons travel team will become 10U this fall. We have a major goal of going to Cooperstown in 2015!

Can't wait for my boy to experience this. It is truly a remarkable facility and something you will never forget.

Good luck!!!

PSA: As a reminder to all interested parties, next week is when Czervik and his kid are there, meaning this is probably his last day before heading out. Let's take this moment to wish them well.

Here's hoping for safe travel, great weather and an unforgettably amazing week. :bye:

PSA: As a reminder to all interested parties, next week is when Czervik and his kid are there, meaning this is probably his last day before heading out. Let's take this moment to wish them well.

Here's hoping for safe travel, great weather and an unforgettably amazing week. :bye:
:goodposting:

I don't know if I have Al's permission to post for him, but it looks like his son's team went 1-1 on day 1. Can't wait for details...

What a truly unforgettable awesome week it was. Lou who runs the place delivers on the experience and then some. Such an awesome week for the kids and their parents. Like I told Charlie in a PM, I've never been so bummed for a vacation to be over.

Update: They won, 11-16. :thumbup:
Thanks for following along and for the support. That was a rough game, but we pulled it out. Tried to throw off with our first two pitchers and gave up more runs than we should have. But the bats were alive and good hitting and a few home runs (including one from my son -- HEY LOOK AT ME) helped us out.

First game, first day was a tough loss. We were up by 1 run bottom of the 6th and had the other team (home team) with two outs and a runner on third. Got them to hit a grounder to short to end the game... but... our shortstop's throw to first was in the dirt and the first baseman could not make the scoop. Guy from third scores to tie the game and we lose in extra innings on a walk off. Oh well, that's 12 year old baseball for you.

Other loss was an ### kicking by an all star team from the Atlanta area. Gonna happen at Cooperstown.

Not a bad showing by our guys. 4-2 in pool play, 1-1 in bracket play. 39th out of 104 teams.

What a truly unforgettable awesome week it was. Lou who runs the place delivers on the experience and then some. Such an awesome week for the kids and their parents. Like I told Charlie in a PM, I've never been so bummed for a vacation to be over.
:hifive:

PS... Lou is a toolbag.
He loves to play the crap out of that Cooperstown song.

To quote a coach when we were sitting around the concession stand, "hey, is that the horrible song we heard in the opening ceremony?"

More about our trip:

We arrived on Friday evening. We stopped by our place first and took our time which was a mistake. We then drove our son to the barracks a little later. I would recommend getting him there as soon as possible Friday evening instead of what we did. When we arrived, his teammates were already running around having a great time and had pin trading going full steam (though they do have all week, so my son quickly caught up with the pin trading).

If anyone goes in the coming years, I can share more tips and our packing list. Just bump this thread or PM me. As far as packing clothes for when your son is not in uniform, my advice is pack light. My son had many clean pairs of shorts (and underwear) in his bag after the trip. Many of the boys survive on 1-2 pairs of shorts for the week.

Opening Ceremonies - Opening ceremonies are long. Every team is introduced and marches into the stadium with their banner. They play a bunch of different music and sing the National Anthem. Lou tells long stories and other things about the history of Cooperstown Dreams Park and the tournament. After the opening ceremonies they have the skills competitions. One tip, don't sit in the first row in the outfield. When the players are marched in, families all run to the wall to take pictures of their kid, so your view is totally blocked.

Games - The fields are absolutely perfect. Major league-like quality. Outfield grass is like carpet and the infield is perfectly flat with no "lip" between the infield/outfield and grass. Grounds crew does a really great job preparing the field before every game (complete with hosing the infield down like they do in MLB stadiums). The fan viewing section runs from 1st/3rd base all the way to the wall in foul territory (separated from the field by a half wall). A really nice set up that is partially covered and has chairs to sit on so you don't have to bring your own. Fences are 200 feet, which is a nice poke for a 12 year old, but also very achievable (my son hit 3 home runs, plus 3 shots off the wall - HEY LOOK AT ME). I think the place is set up for kids that age to be able to hit a home run. Part of the experience and a big thrill for the boys (and parents). Plus, they can sell a bunch of their "my son hit a home run as Cooperstown Dreams Park" t-shirts (for the record, I did not buy myself one).

Food at the field concessions was surprisingly good and affordable. Liked the BBQ pulled pork sandwich so much that I had it twice. Sandwich with chips and a drink cost $6. Not a bad lunch.

Downtown Cooperstown is a nice little town. It is very small and walkable in about an hour. Hall of Fame was very cool. Make sure to allow a lot of time on your visit as there is a lot to read (we had to get back for an evening game when we went, so I wish I had more time -- also, don't go through with your daughter so you are not rushed ;) ). Shark move is to send the wife shopping in town (should have sent my daughter with her). We ate twice at Double Day Cafe. Good sandwiches and burgers (I recommend the Greek Burger). Some of our families had lunch at the Otsega Resort Hotel, which apparently is a gorgeous hotel on the lake where the HOF inductees stay. That was the one thing I didn't do that I wish I did (ran out of time).

Accommodations - We rented a cottage on a lake about 20 minutes away. Set up was good for siblings not participating in the baseball activities. However, the drive started to get old later in the week.

Closing Ceremony - This has apparently changed over the years. Teams march in reverse alpha order (Opening is in alpha order) and each player gets introduced and gets their Hall of Fame ring. I heard in the past it would drag on as each player got introduced and walked on the field one at a time to get their ring and shake Lou's hand. Now, the whole team marches on the field together as the coach says all their names. They each shake Lou's hand, grab a bag that has all the rings in it, and exit the stadium. It was a quick process (which allowed us to run over and watch the semi-final games).

That's all I can think of for now. More will probably come to mind. And like I said above, if other FBGs have kids going in coming years, I can share more details about what goes on and what to do/bring.

Users who are viewing this thread