What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bilal Powell - Potential Deep Sleeper? (1 Viewer)

mphtrilogy

Footballguy
Looks like he might be a viable option if S Green goes down or underperfoms...

Bilal Powell getting snaps with first team

Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31

Just as he did yesterday Bilal Powell is working with the first team offense. Most people thought would be cut. But he's killing it in camp.

Might be a good stash candidte

"Most people thought he'd be cut"

WHo are these "most people"...hadn't heard that anywhere. If you own Greene....Powell is a must own.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was planning on keeping him through preseason in my dynasty to see if he showed any signs of life. Glad to hear he has a pulse. Shonn Greene is an average talent at best so who knows...

can powell catch? seems to be Greens biggest weakness.

Could be a 3 headed monster with McKnight getting some 3rd down COP, passing down work, no?

Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31

I don't know Bilal Powell personally. Unsure what he did this offseason. But he's been SO impressive. Looks looks like Leon Washington. #nyj

Been reading good things and...Greene sucks. Opportunity's there, maybe I wrote him off too soon.

between powell and mcknight, i think there is a tremendous amount of pressure on greene. powell sounds like he's ready to play. mcknight has added a little weight and seems to have gotten serious about preparation leading into camp.

Cecil and co. were hyping Bilal Powell on last season's podcasts and I held on to him as long as possible since S Greene is just awful. Obviously Powell's chance never really materialized in 2011. I wouldn't doubt that Powell could get the looks in the backfield if Rex ever gives up on him. You just gotta wonder how long it will take for the Jets to come to terms with Greene's decidedly average performance over the last couple seasons. Powell is a very late round flyer though and not a guy that will get the call early on. I would draft him if I had a large bench to stash him on.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/point_stance_revis_receivers_and_6c3LEnbx7vuWpk5YFox6vL

7:00 AM, July 30, 2012 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

CORTLAND – The Jets' first day off in training camp comes Tuesday, so Monday's practice figures to be one where the coaches try to cram a lot in.

Here are three things that stood out from yesterday:

1. Revis Island shut down – Darrelle Revis is downplaying his tight hamstring, but any time the best player on the team is hurt there is reason to worry. Revis admitted he's had hamstring issues in the past, the most memorable came in 2010 when he pulled it against the Patriots after his long holdout.

This is a situation to keep an eye on, obviously. Revis is the key to the Jets defense. If he goes down, the dominoes fall. Revis says he'll be out there Monday. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets held him out until of Monday's practice, giving him three days of rest with the off day Tuesday.

2. Wideout woes – The Jets wide receivers have not looked impressive so far. All eyes are on the quarterbacks and every pass they throw is being reported on, but it's not totally fair because many of the incompletions are the receiver's fault. They are a very young, inexperienced group outside of Santonio Holmes.

This is a position I could definitely see the Jets adding to during camp. That leads to the next question about a reunion with Braylon Edwards. Edwards has worked out for the Seahawks and Dolphins recently. He's just coming off a knee injury. I've been told there's zero chance the Jets will sign him. We'll see if they stick to that if the wide receiver position stinks during preseason games.

3. Powell power – Another position the Jets could be thin at is running back. Behind Shonn Greene, the Jets have little experience. But second-year back Bilal Powell really stood out Sunday. He looked quick and hit the holes hard. It has been assumed that Joe McKnight would fill the third-down running back role with LaDainian Tomlinson gone, but maybe Powell can move up the depth chart.

We recommend

D'Brickashaw: Jets 'have greatness written all over us' (Jets Blog)

Sanchez outplays Tebow in first day of Jets practice (Jets Blog)

Batman fiend James Holmes selected his tragic victims during 'Dark Knight' theater rampage (National News)

New York Giants offensive linemen alternate between protecting quarterback Eli Manning on the field and pranking him off it (Sports)

How the AR-15 — weapon of the Aurora massacre — became a pop-culture mainstay (Post Opinion)

Darrelle Revis of New York Jets sits out team portion of practice due to tight hamstring; expects to return Monday (Jets)

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/point_stance_revis_receivers_and_6c3LEnbx7vuWpk5YFox6vL#ixzz227G6vQiD

WHo are these "most people"...hadn't heard that anywhere. If you own Greene....Powell Joe McKnight is a must own.
fixed :thumbup:

People are falling asleep on where the true opportunity lies.

But...we do it every year. I think at this time last year, people were talking about Johnny White in buffalo, Daniel thomas in Miami, and Felix Jones in Dallas.

Just because a guy is young and a new name and gets a lot of buzz talk in July camps, doesn't mean he's actually the better player for the team.

if the guy is good enough to be a Shonne Green replacement in the event Green goes down or is woeful, then how is it he didn't get ANY run at all last year? Wouldn't you think that if the Jets are watching this guy every day, that in a game somewhere they might say "Send in Powell?" But who did they go with when Greene hurt himself early in the Denver game last year?

I don't think Powell was ready last year. Good to hear the early buzz that he's in shape and ready to go, one season in the books and maybe he has flipped the switch on figuring out what it takes to compete in an NFL camp.

Ganaway was the assumed up and comer becuase of Rex's glowing mini-camp comments, but Powell might have something to say about that.

Sigmund Bloom‏@SigmundBloom RT @RichCimini Liking RB Bilal Powell in 1-on-1 blocking. Holding his own vs. LBs. RB coach Anthony Lynn told me Powell could be 3rd D RB.
Sigmund Bloom‏@SigmundBloom Time to make sure Powell isn't sitting on deep dynasty WWs. @mattwaldman favorite and competition in NY is very weak.
This may not end up being anything, but as Sig said, competition is weak, so Powell is someone to keep an eye on.

i think greenes backup is a must own given how late you can get whoever it is and how unimpressive greene has proven to be.

i am not a big mcknight fan so am interested to see what other options there may be.

WHo are these "most people"...hadn't heard that anywhere. If you own Greene....Powell Joe McKnight is a must own.

But...we do it every year. I think at this time last year, people were talking about Johnny White in buffalo, Daniel thomas in Miami, and Felix Jones in Dallas.

Just because a guy is young and a new name and gets a lot of buzz talk in July camps, doesn't mean he's actually the better player for the team.

if the guy is good enough to be a Shonne Green replacement in the event Green goes down or is woeful, then how is it he didn't get ANY run at all last year? Wouldn't you think that if the Jets are watching this guy every day, that in a game somewhere they might say "Send in Powell?" But who did they go with when Greene hurt himself early in the Denver game last year?
People are asleep when they write off ANY player after just one season. When that season was preceeded by a very strike-shortened pre-season...well...it's just foolish.I don't dislike McKnight, but he's better on an NFL roster than a fantasy roster as he'll never carry a full load. Powell has that chance.

Remember that last year there were no minicamps. Rookies last season were at a distinct disadvantage to previous years so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of rookies experienced suppressed development. Also, it is not uncommon for RBs to progress significantly from first to second year.

People are asleep when they write off ANY player after just one season. When that season was preceeded by a very strike-shortened pre-season...well...it's just foolish.I don't dislike McKnight, but he's better on an NFL roster than a fantasy roster as he'll never carry a full load. Powell has that chance.
Maybe I should quantify by saying "opinion based on the fact that I've watched Powell in college locally, so I've seen the weekly games, the ups and downs, etc". I Maybe I'm too close and that's a negative..Maybe I'm closer than most others and that's a positive. I dunno but I'm not that impressed with him at the NFL level.

Maybe I should quantify by saying "opinion based on the fact that I've watched Powell in college locally, so I've seen the weekly games, the ups and downs, etc". I Maybe I'm too close and that's a negative..Maybe I'm closer than most others and that's a positive. I dunno but I'm not that impressed with him at the NFL level.
well i saw every one of mcknights collegiate games and he is a nfl special teamer at best.he is not good.

Powell is basically free (not in the top-80 redraft RBs for ADP), Greene is just a guy, and LT's touches need to go somewhere. At his last round price, I'd much rather have a guy like this than a backup K or defense, so why not?

well i saw every one of mcknights collegiate games and he is a nfl special teamer at best.he is not good.
mcknight only needs to be better than the guy ahead of him on the depth chart and greene isn't impressing anyone.all i know is that mcknight is in a good situation. he is motivated - talking about how it's now or never for himself - and trying to show that. he's bulked up 5-10 lbs and i hope that doesn't hurt his speed or quickness. he's proven to be dangerous in space but could show something. he's got an opportunity, if nothing else.

mcknight only needs to be better than the guy ahead of him on the depth chart and greene isn't impressing anyone.all i know is that mcknight is in a good situation. he is motivated - talking about how it's now or never for himself - and trying to show that. he's bulked up 5-10 lbs and i hope that doesn't hurt his speed or quickness. he's proven to be dangerous in space but could show something. he's got an opportunity, if nothing else.
IIRC, his "bulking up" had more to do with curling McDonald's french fries and milkshakes.

He looked absolutely brutal last year, but Greene/McKnight haven't set the world on fire either so anything is possible.

He's on a run heavy team so he's got that going for him as a late round flier.

btw: jets kicked off camp with 22 straight run plays..

this will be a 60-40 run-throw split this year with some deep attack and some play action mixed in in spots...

there are plenty of carries for greene, mcknight and maybe bilal along with tebow & co.. but I think Bilal's value will be shown when/if S Greene goes down.

Hes in camp in shape and ready to at least hold off Ganaway and prove he can play.

McKnight had a solid 2011 campaign.. he will get his carries...

I think the ganway p/u has him motivated....

the opportunity will be there

Fair enough, but I have at least seen McKnight in the NFL and he's not been bad. You know, we may BOTH be backing dead horses here. All I can say is based on what has been seen, I just don't think Powell is an answer.

Is there a single player at any skill position on the Jets that IS the answer? It's pretty much a giant pile of dog-turds, but someone's gotta be good value I suppose. Give me the cheapest lottery ticket...

btw: jets kicked off camp with 22 straight run plays..

this will be a 60-40 run-throw split this year with some deep attack and some play action mixed in in spots...

there are plenty of carries for greene, mcknight and maybe bilal along with tebow & co.. but I think Bilal's value will be shown when/if S Greene goes down.
The Jets had 1030 offensive plays last year. They attempted 547 passes, they were sacked 40 times, and Sanchez ran 37 times. Not sure how many of those rushing attempts were scrambles on called pass plays; with no specific info, I'll assume 30 of them were. That means the Jets called 624 pass plays in 1030 offensive plays. That's a 60.5% pass/39.5% run split.No way will they reverse that, even if Tebow takes more snaps on the season than Sanchez. Even last year's Denver team ran "just" 53.6% of the time.

IIRC, his "bulking up" had more to do with curling McDonald's french fries and milkshakes.
i read that too but in a recent article he clarified the remark later. i can't find it easily but it was something along the lines of he offseason spent with trainers in albany.

Is there a single player at any skill position on the Jets that IS the answer? It's pretty much a giant pile of dog-turds, but someone's gotta be good value I suppose. Give me the cheapest lottery ticket...
Keller at TE might be a decent low-end TE1
Is even Keller decent if they DO run as much as they claim? Can a TE in that situation get enough targets to overcome all the rest?

http://turnonthejets.com/2012/07/new-york-jets-training-camp-bilal-powell-turning-heads/

It was a disappointing rookie season in 2011 for New York Jets running back Bilal Powell. As a fourth round selection, there was a hope he could make some type of impact or impression when given the opportunity. In the pre-season he failed to impress with 28 carries for 62 yards, burying himself on the depth chart behind Shonn Greene, LaDainian Tomlinson and Joe McKnight. About halfway through the season he received an enormous chance when Tomlinson was inactive for the Jets/Broncos week 11 match-up and Greene left in the first quarter with an injury. Powell received 7 carries but only ended with 11 yards and fumbled the ball into the end-zone, where he was luckily bailed out by Matt Slauson.

Prior to camp many (including myself) thought Powell would be the odd man out on the running back depth chart. The Jets drafted Terrance Ganaway in the 6th round this year and his bruising style and familiarity with the option seemed to make him a more natural fit behind Shonn Greene, while Joe McKnight handled the third down duties. However, Powell has responded by turning heads early in camp with both his quickness and ability to catch the football. He has been impressive enough that running back coach Anthony Lynn has declared the third down back job wide open between Powell and McKnight.

Lynn prefaced this competition a few months ago by classifying Powell as a “B” back in the Jets system, same as McKnight. Greene and Ganaway are “A” backs. As you could surmise, “A” backs are power, inside runners while “B” backs provide more outside speed.

Powell isn’t going to keep McKnight off the roster because of McKnight’s special teams value. He was one of the league’s top returners last season but that doesn’t mean the Jets can’t keep both and either stash Ganaway on the practice squad or just carry five running backs (fullback John Conner being the fifth) and part ways with H-Back Josh Baker.

With a strong pre-season, Powell could upset McKnight and steal his third down role. Both players were fourth round picks. Both players are nearly identical in size (same weight and McKnight is an inch taller). McKnight is faster, or was at least a full tenth of a second faster in his forty coming out of college and is a good enough receiver to be split out. Powell did have 18 receptions his senior year of college and three receiving touchdowns. He will need to demonstrate his hands at the NFL level to give McKnight a true run for his money.

It is obviously too early to make any kind of judgement about Powell’s long term potential. He has strung together five good practices but has shown enough tenacity in blocking drills and enough speed to catch people’s attention. Powell should receive substantial work in the Jets first and second pre-season game and with strong outings could receive extended work with the first unit in the crucial third pre-season game.

Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31I don't know Bilal Powell personally. Unsure what he did this offseason. But he's been SO impressive. Looks looks like Leon Washington. #nyj
I think it is important to know who we are quoting...star struck and "not older than my car" come to mind for me...https://twitter.com/Steiny31Really? Powell looks like Leon? If that is the case, I think McKnight has competition not Greene.

Rene,I see what you are saying, but (1) how do you explain two of the best rookie QB seasons in a shortened offseason since Peyton Manning? You telling me Powell needed a couple of more days to understand which direction to run or how to hold onto the ball?? Also, as a Jets fan, I can tell you Powell was a hot name here, but he barely registered in the minds of local fans...he was like "silent, but deadly" without the smell...

I will also say that while you should not write off anyone (regardless of their situation), inherently, if you assume Powell will do some damage, you need to adjust accordingly (which means dropping Greene's ADP) and I am not ready to do that.

Rene,I see what you are saying, but (1) how do you explain two of the best rookie QB seasons in a shortened offseason since Peyton Manning? You telling me Powell needed a couple of more days to understand which direction to run or how to hold onto the ball?? Also, as a Jets fan, I can tell you Powell was a hot name here, but he barely registered in the minds of local fans...he was like "silent, but deadly" without the smell...

I will also say that while you should not write off anyone (regardless of their situation), inherently, if you assume Powell will do some damage, you need to adjust accordingly (which means dropping Greene's ADP) and I am not ready to do that.
Actually? Yes, some players need more time than others. It happens. There is a divide that many players have to cross from college to pro and it is a unique experience for each individual.

Powell prominent in his second camp

By Jane McManus | ESPNNewYork.com

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Bilal Powell doesn't want a lot of attention, but the Jets running back isn't flying under the radar at his second training camp.

As offensive coordinator Tony Sparano likes to put it, Powell has been pushing through the smoke of the line of scrimmage to find daylight behind it so often, the second-year pro is getting reps with the first team.

Jets coach Rex Ryan hasn't declared an official camp battle, but Powell is threatening Joe McKnight for the third-down back role.

"The biggest challenge this year has been getting in with the ones," Powell said. "It's like you're on 'Front Street.' So you have to know it and be confident with it."

Ryan likes Powell's ability to focus when the tackles are live.

"When we had to play him in a game, he had no mental mistakes, made absolutely zero mental mistakes," Ryan said of Powell's rookie season. "And that tells you a lot about him."

Powell benefited last year from the presence of running back LaDainian Tomlinson, who he didn't think at first would be a real resource. But the veteran was approachable from the start.

"When I first got here I had an assumption -- it's LaDainian Tomlinson, he could have big-timed me or anything," Powell said. "But it was open-wings when I stepped foot in the door."

Feature back Shonn Greene has been impressed with Powell at camp. What has Greene seen?

"A lot," Greene said. "He has shown the ability to run between the tackles, the ability to block. I think I'm especially surprised with him in third down. He does a great job of picking up blocks on the line."

Last year, without an offseason training program due to the NFL lockout, Powell wasn't physically as ready to play as the Jets had hoped. He had 13 carries for 21 yards.

"So mentally, he was on top of it," Ryan said. "From a physical standpoint, he wasn't. He had a lot of injuries, little thing here, little thing there, that set him back. We never really got to see his capabilities. Now he's healthy. He's in great shape. He came in camp in great shape.

"It seems like every day he does something that like, 'Ooh that was a nice run' or he does a good job in protection, which isn't surprising."

Ryan has said that Powell's college career at Louisville followed a similar arc. As a senior, he had 1,405 yards on 229 carries, averaging 6.1 yards per carry after a 2009 season where he averaged 3.6 on only 108 carries. Ryan has said he hopes for a similar breakthrough year for the Jets.

"I know the offense," Powell said. "The OTAs and the minicamps actually helped us out, really helped me out a lot. It allows me to go out and play with a lot more confidence now."

As a Powell dynasty owner and a NYer (Giants fan, though), I'm not sold on Powell ever doing anything valuable. Only thing I'm hoping for is that he gets a chance due to S.Green continued patheticness (word?), gets an uptick in value then move his #### off my roster.

Now, when I drafted him, I drank the Kool-Aid, but that's all but evaporated now.

Some of the opinions in this thread are a bit confusing.

Yes, Powell didn't do anything to impress last year.

But what did McKnight do his rookie year to impress? And i don't find his 3.1 yards per carry last year, or the fact that he couldn't steal more touches from a completely unimpressive Green and Tomlinson, that impressive either. If it weren't for the Denver game last year (injury to the guys in front of him), his touches in 2011 might have been less than in 2010. So then, has he parlayed that Denver game into a bigger role in 2012? Well, McKnight's RB coach is indicating that he's getting pushed by a second year kid that did absolutely nothing last year.

If you are a McKnight backer, why does the coaching staff seems so infuriatingly loyal to Greene, but makes no bones about McKnight getting pushed for his job? Think this is just a ply to motivate McKnight?

Greene is not the answer. I think we all agree on that. But for some reason Greene has the most job security of any of them. But I think it's an even competition right now between McKnight and Powell. For the price you have the pay for each of them, if you can only pick one, I'd pick Powell.

I dropped Laurent Robinson for him in a dynasty last week. I'm more confident in that decision with every glowing report. This is how it happens folks. It starts out quiet, and they say things like "it isn't a competition" and pretty soon, they hedge and hedge and it is a competition. And if a guy is good enough to get into a competition with a struggling starter, he has a good chance to win it.

Powell could end up the guy by default. Lack of production from Greene, Mcknight injury, then he might get the bulkof the caries. No doubt the Jets running game needs to ramp up and if Bilal shows he can handle it by all means showcase then. I'm pulling for him as I'm not liking Shonn Greene.

REAL DEEP SLEEPER- I hear RB Travis Henry, and his 20 some kids, :lmao: , has been reinstated.

I'm with Ghost on this one - Powell is a potential sleeper just because of the RBs in front of him. Waldman also correctly points out that it takes many, many players a few years to get acclimated to the NFL.

I picked him up in the later rounds of my 16 team keeper league. We'll see how it goes.

Any idea when we will get an update on McKnight's status? As for Powell, I'm trusting Waldman's ranking and comments on the kid the past two years. I can't help but laugh at people that write this kid off, based on last year's limited action. Given the fact that very few rookie RB's have made solid contributions the past few years, I'm starting to target second and third year RB's that have a nice skillset and people are writing off. Unless I'm mistaken, Foster, Rice, McCoy, McFadden, and Matthews broke out in their second and third seasons. I'm not saying anything most of you don't know, only that Im very aware of how many owners in my main dynasty league are quick to write off some guys after a lackluster first season or two. For me, it's a paradigm shift, as I'm starting to go after veteran RB's that still have some juice left and can contribute nicely for the current year, with the notion that I can pry away rookie RB's during the season or off-season from frustrated owners. Sociologically speaking, we live in an instant gratification culture and that seems to translate to the fantasy football landscape.

All that to say, I think Powell could be the kind of guy that fits this logic very well. I know he doesn't have the pedigree of some of the guys I listed earlier, but with very average competition in front of him, there is no reason to think he can't build on his early momentum and become a viable fantasy starter this year. The owners in my dynasty league are daring me to sign him next week and I feel as if his situation warrants me doing so.

What about all the talk of going to a zone blocking scheme. That seems to fit with Green's running style.
the opposite seems to be happening. the Jets used alot of zone with Schottenheimer, they are going more man (gap scheme) with Sparano. Shonn Greene has actually been a mostly zone RB since Iowa... but Sparano believe he is cut out more as a straight ahead runner. Greene is tough to tackle at POA and his vision/moves isn't great. This could be a good change for him. The team will use both schemes.

What about all the talk of going to a zone blocking scheme. That seems to fit with Green's running style.
they aren't going to a zone blocking scheme, they've been zone with schottenheimer/callahan ... it's my understanding they're going to more of a gap scheme with sparano which is considered more of a power style using the line to get vertical and the RB hitting the assigned gap. going to a gap scheme will supposedly help the plodder greene who actually played zone in college. new york has used the zone scheme for 3 years since he came to the NFL which should have helped him but he doesn't seem to be improving, just plodding his way to mediocrity year in, year out. the gap scheme is more traditional and it's not a drastic change for an rb, but (without checking) i believe louisville use gap blocking at least some of the time, iirc, so powell should be familiar with it and should be ready and waiting for when greene un-impresses again this season. i think ny going to a more power running style is great for powell if he can continue to improve through the preseason. joe mcknight isn't built for power football and powell will have a shoe in on the backup role and the opportunity at early down carries when greene plods his way to failure.

Sorry, had my running schemes inverted. I meant he was going from the one to the other and yes, he's a straight line runner, so the one cut and gone is not really his thing...

Sorry, had my running schemes inverted. I meant he was going from the one to the other and yes, he's a straight line runner, so the one cut and gone is not really his thing...
I'm not sure anything against a proficient defense is "his thing." He's just not that good.

'Sabertooth said:
'TheFanatic said:
I'm not sure anything against a proficient defense is "his thing." He's just not that good.
If he has a thing, it's running in a straight line. Any deviation and he's even slower than molasses.

Users who are viewing this thread