What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**The Official Randall 'touchdown robber' Cobber Bandwagon** (1 Viewer)

last year rt2rc played all over so who knows with a real stable of good rbs this year who knows what the pack will do well atually god does but we can not just ask him so yes he will probably be penciled in the slot but what does that mean who knows take that to the bank brohans

Rotoworld:

Coach Mike MccCarthy said that if the Packers had a game tomorrow, Randall Cobb would be his returner.
McCarthy is hoping that someone steps up and seizes the returner job so that Cobb can focus on his increased offensive responsibilities. So far, no one has done it. Cobb averaged 25.4 yards per kick return and 9.4 yards per punt return last season.

Source: Green Bay Press-Gazette

2013 Most Important Packers No. 4: Randall Cobb, WR

Jul 22, 2013 -- 10:00pm

Jason Wilde Blog

GREEN BAY – Aaron Rodgers made the comment so offhandedly, as he was running through all of the wide receivers that still remain at his disposal. He wasn’t singling Randall Cobb out; he was simply mentioned him first, as if going in order of most receptions last season.

“I still like the guys we've got,” the Green Bay Packers quarterback said after the first open organized team activity practice of the spring, in the wake of Greg Jennings’ free-agent departure and franchise all-time leading receiver Donald Driver’s retirement. “We have a lot of talent at that position. I think Randall Cobb is a guy who could be a 100-plus catch guy every year. James Jones led the league in touchdown receptions last year. (And) Jordy (Nelson) has had some real big years for us.

“I like what Jarrett Boykin brings. He's a big, physical receiver who's going to get some opportunities this year. And I think he really has a great approach to the game, as does Jeremy Ross. Both those guys last year really stepped up and cared about it enough to put in a lot of extra time.”

A 100-plus catch guy every year. Put into the context of how many times that’s happened in Packers history, and how many receptions the team’s top receiver has had during Rodgers’ time as the starting quarterback, and you realize that the QB must have an awfully high opinion of Cobb to make such a statement – even after Cobb caught 80 passes for 954 yards and eight touchdowns in 15 regular-season games last season.

In Packers history, only two players have caught more than 100 passes in a season: Sterling Sharpe caught a team-record 112 passes in 1993; Sharpe caught 108 passes in 1992; and Robert Brooks caught 102 passes in 1995. A player has caught more than 85 passes in a season only five other times: Sharpe’s 94 in 1994; Driver’s 92 in 2006; Sharpe’s 90 in 1989; Javon Walker’s 89 in 2004; and Driver’s 86 in 2005.

Since Rodgers took over as the starter – with his “My favorite receiver is whoever’s open” mentality – only two players have even reached 80 receptions in a season: Jennings in 2008, and Cobb last year. Driver had a team-high 70 catches in 2009; Jennings led the team with 76 receptions in 2010; and Nelson caught a team-best 68 (one more than Jennings) in 2011.

And yet, 100 receptions might very well be realistic for Cobb because of how much better he can get, according to Rodgers and wide receivers coach Edgar Bennett.

“(He made) tremendous strides, but again, he can do so much more,” Bennett said. “He can clean up certain areas and be even more fundamentally sound and be even more productive.”

Added Rodgers: “I think the best is yet to come with him.”

Cobb played 733 snaps (including playoffs) last season – 400 fewer than Jones, who played 1,149 – and while he has been savvy publicly about not complaining about his special duties, both his quarterback and his head coach have talked about the idea of pulling him from kickoff and punt returns because of his importance to the offense. Rodgers spoke openly about it late in the season last year, and coach Mike McCarthy did replace Cobb with Ross for the NFC Divisional Playoff game – with disastrous results.

Last month, McCarthy said Cobb’s “special teams responsibility is really up to his teammates. There's opportunity there for others to compete and perform. And we won't know that until training camp. And hopefully (someone will) take Randall's place.”

Cobb set a franchise single-season record 2,342 all-purpose yards last season, and special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum suggested that Cobb could still do both and be even more productive than he was last season. On returns, Cobb returned 38 kickoffs for 964 yards and 31 punts for 294 yards.

“Last year he did both jobs and caught 80,” Slocum said. “Go look at the number of returns and the number of yards. Numbers for me are really about how you look at them, and we can turn them a number of ways to evaluate them – which we will. We’ll hypothetically come up with a bunch of scenarios. We’re just trying to find the best combination and what we want to do.”

The truth of the matter is that Cobb, even in the Packers’ spread-the-wealth passing game, is the one player on offense beyond Rodgers that the team can’t afford to lose for an extended period of time. If the coaches don’t feel he’s being put at unnecessary risk on returns – and the team’s history would suggest that the coaches don’t see returns as inherently more dangerous – then he’ll be back there.

For his part, the mature-beyond-his-years Cobb is simply focused on being productive – no matter what his roles are.

“You can always improve. I've always said you can never really reach your full potential so I always try to continue to climb that mountain,” Cobb said. “In the offseason, I’ve definitely worked a lot on my route running and trying to perfect my craft.

“It doesn't matter to me as long as we're getting wins. Whatever it's going to take ... is what I'm down to do. If that's returning, great. If not, great. Whatever it's going to take for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do we call him Cobber and why is he a touchown robber? When I see that word cobber, I think of cobbler

and that make me think of that crazy good Peach Cobbler I used to be able to get at the diner and then that makes me sad because the diner

isn't there anymore. And why is this voice in my head saying all these things suddenly sounding like Christopher Walken?

This is just an incredibly confusing thing to me.

Rotoworld:

Speaking Tuesday, Packers coach Mike McCarthy acknowledged that Randall Cobb is playing through a biceps issue, but said he isn't at risk of further injury.
McCarthy also said Cobb's injury is something he'll "probably be battling for a while." The undersized wideout has shown a propensity for picking up nicks and bruises, but has appeared in 30 of a possible 32 games. His durability isn't a question mark.

Source: Rob Demovsky on Twitter

Why do we call him Cobber and why is he a touchown robber? When I see that word cobber, I think of cobbler

and that make me think of that crazy good Peach Cobbler I used to be able to get at the diner and then that makes me sad because the diner

isn't there anymore. And why is this voice in my head saying all these things suddenly sounding like Christopher Walken?

This is just an incredibly confusing thing to me.
brohan you can just call him rt2rc if that is easy for you take that to the bank brohan

am I the only one who is a little bit concerned about this injury?

I am a huge Cobb proponent, but want to see how he looks in preseason before buying in redraft at the current prices.

(and FYI, by definition, shticks get old)

Rotoworld:

Updating an earlier item, Randall Cobb (biceps) was present at Wednesday's practice, but not participating.
Cobb showed up dressed out in full pads, but remained an observer. He was officially "limited." It's still a sign that he'd be ready to go were it the regular season, and that Cobb might still suit up for Friday's preseason game against the Seahawks. Draft him as you normally would.

Source: Tyler Dunne on Twitter

Amazingly, he has been keeping up his catch efficiency percentage despite a massive uptick in targets per game this year. He is also getting a ton of red zone looks.

Keeper yes. He wont play another game this season. So redraft no
He was designated to return, so he probably will play another game this season.
Nope, super unlikely. When you get the IR designated to return label, you have to be out a certain number of weeks.

They may as well have put him on it, because if they waited like 2 more weeks then they wouldn't have even been able to use it on anyone anyway.

They are hoping for a miracle, but they aren't going to get one.

IF he does play, it will be very late in the playoffs, the real NFL playoffs

He has a broken leg. He's eligible to be back week 15. Not sure how some posters can be so staunch in their stance that he's gone for the ROS. That's nothing but conjecture and poorly thought out conjecture at that.

This is a 6-8 week injury. He could have played at that time, and will likely be ready to rock week 15 when eligible.

They are not going to throw him out there for the first time in the real playoffs. He will play.

LawFitz said:
He has a broken leg. He's eligible to be back week 15. Not sure how some posters can be so staunch in their stance that he's gone for the ROS. That's nothing but conjecture and poorly thought out conjecture at that.
Eligible is the key word. Under the IR-designated to return rule, a player can't practice/play for 6 weeks, and can't play until after 8 weeks. The week 15 date means nothing, other than he was placed on IR-DTR after week 6 (so week 15 would be the first game he is eligible to play). It doesn't mean he will be/won't be ready to play then.

Now, from all reports I've seen, Cobb's break was a "clean" break, without any displacement of the fibula, which would have extended the recovery time. But the recovery time is between 6-8 weeks.

So, IF Cobb's recovery goes well, his leg will be healed by the time he is eligible to return. However, what do we expect the Pack to do with him? Do you think they are going to throw him right into game action? For 6-8 weeks, he won't be able to run/lift with his legs. I think it's highly unlikely that he will be in game-shape for his first game back. So, maybe week 16 he plays more, but even then do you trust him in your FF championship game? That he will be 100%, not rusty, and not limited in the number of snaps he plays?

I think Cobb will play again, and I think he will get some work in weeks 15, 16, & 17 (assuming his recovery goes well), but I think the Pack made the IR-DTR move with the NFL playoffs in mind, not the FF playoffs.

This is a 6-8 week injury. He could have played at that time, and will likely be ready to rock week 15 when eligible.

They are not going to throw him out there for the first time in the real playoffs. He will play.
And 8 weeks from the injury is week 15. So, if the recovery goes to the longer end of the estimate (rather than the shorter end), he will have gone 2 months without running, lifting, playing football, taking a hit, etc. But you think he will be "ready to rock" after 2 months off?

OK

I dropped him in my redraft for Boykin. As most have noted, he's almost certainly done for ff purposes. I am hoping to see him play at Soldier on 12/29. It will give him a nice warm up before facing an actual NFL defense in the playoffs.

It's a leg break. A clean one. He's going to play weeks 15 and 16 IMO, and IF the Pack needs him to play a lot of snaps, I think he will. GB plays Dal and Pit those two weeks and could be in the hunt for a week 1 bye. I do get the concern about playing him in the FF playoffs, but if you are hurting at WR3 for some reason at that point, he could be huge.

ETA: one wildcard is Boykin. The better he plays, the less valuable Cobb becomes for weeks 15/16.

It's a leg break. A clean one. He's going to play weeks 15 and 16 IMO, and IF the Pack needs him to play a lot of snaps, I think he will. GB plays Dal and Pit those two weeks and could be in the hunt for a week 1 bye. I do get the concern about playing him in the FF playoffs, but if you are hurting at WR3 for some reason at that point, he could be huge.
Have you ever had a leg break? To heal, you have to let it be. You can't run (I suppose he could hop on the other leg), you can't lift weights (again I guess he could focus on the other leg, but that would be harmful, not beneficial).

You can THINK he's going to play weeks 15 & 16, but the fact is even if the recovery is on the fast side (only 6 weeks), he won't be able to start running/lifting/practicing until after week 13. 2 weeks isn't going to be enough time to get into football shape. If the recovery takes closer to the full 8 weeks, that would mean that he wouldn't be able to start running/lifting/practicing until about 5 days before their week 15 game. You really think that after 2 months of no running/lifting/blocking/being tackled, he's going to play "a lot of snaps" with less than a week of conditioning/practice? If you do, you're delusional.

Have you ever had a leg break? To heal, you have to let it be. You can't run (I suppose he could hop on the other leg), you can't lift weights (again I guess he could focus on the other leg, but that would be harmful, not beneficial).

You can THINK he's going to play weeks 15 & 16, but the fact is even if the recovery is on the fast side (only 6 weeks), he won't be able to start running/lifting/practicing until after week 13. 2 weeks isn't going to be enough time to get into football shape. If the recovery takes closer to the full 8 weeks, that would mean that he wouldn't be able to start running/lifting/practicing until about 5 days before their week 15 game. You really think that after 2 months of no running/lifting/blocking/being tackled, he's going to play "a lot of snaps" with less than a week of conditioning/practice? If you do, you're delusional.
IF he heals in six, he'll be on the field three weeks later IF they need him. We'll see how it goes, as this requires everything to go right in terms of the healing process and at least one of the three WR spots to be suspect, both of which are admitted risks.

i see a lot of good theorizing but what do i actually know about playing football 8 weeks after breaking a leg? Not a bit. I'm not smart enough to know whether the people who say he won't come back for FF playoffs are right or wrong.

So unless i really need that bench spot at some point, i'm still stashing Cobb for the FF playoffs.

IF he heals in six, he'll be on the field three weeks later IF they need him. We'll see how it goes, as this requires everything to go right in terms of the healing process and at least one of the three WR spots to be suspect, both of which are admitted risks.
So IF his recovery happens as fast as it possibly can, then he'll have 3 whole weeks to try to re-build the leg muscles that were virtually unused for almost 2 months.

Plus he won't have any real contact, as most NFL teams don't do much full contact practicing that late in the season.

Plus anyone who might be able to play him in FF would likely be in the semi-final game (which would presumably mean they have a decent team in the first place), so they can bench a productive player hoping Cobb gets a normal workload after not playing in a game for over 2 months.

Yeah, that sounds like a great situation.

anyone who might be able to play him in FF would likely be in the semi-final game (which would presumably mean they have a decent team in the first place), so they can bench a productive player hoping Cobb gets a normal workload after not playing in a game for over 2 months.
If find WR3 and RB2 to be the most common sore spots on playoff teams in my leagues. YMMV.

I do think Cobb can be game ready in three weeks if the bone heals by week 11-12. You don't, so we'll agree to disagree on that front.

My main concern is Boykin. If he keeps playing well, the Pack is more likely to be ultra conservative with Cobb's return, and I concede that fully.

And 8 weeks from the injury is week 15. So, if the recovery goes to the longer end of the estimate (rather than the shorter end), he will have gone 2 months without running, lifting, playing football, taking a hit, etc. But you think he will be "ready to rock" after 2 months off?OK
Speaking as a physical therapist who deals with these things for a living, if he heals like a normal healthy human, he will be jogging at 5-6 weeks. The fibula is a non weight bearing bone, and his break was about the best place you can break the fibula (high as opposed to low). So yes I think he will play limited snaps week 15, and closer to full snaps 16-17.

Not sure his injury is the type where you really recover ahead of schedule.

he will be back for the NFL playoffs, but he is helping people for fantasy except maybe in the championship, MAYBE, but would you even wanna play a guy like that?

Have you ever had a leg break? To heal, you have to let it be. You can't run (I suppose he could hop on the other leg), you can't lift weights (again I guess he could focus on the other leg, but that would be harmful, not beneficial). You can THINK he's going to play weeks 15 & 16, but the fact is even if the recovery is on the fast side (only 6 weeks), he won't be able to start running/lifting/practicing until after week 13. 2 weeks isn't going to be enough time to get into football shape. If the recovery takes closer to the full 8 weeks, that would mean that he wouldn't be able to start running/lifting/practicing until about 5 days before their week 15 game. You really think that after 2 months of no running/lifting/blocking/being tackled, he's going to play "a lot of snaps" with less than a week of conditioning/practice? If you do, you're delusional.
So IF his recovery happens as fast as it possibly can, then he'll have 3 whole weeks to try to re-build the leg muscles that were virtually unused for almost 2 months. Plus he won't have any real contact, as most NFL teams don't do much full contact practicing that late in the season.

Plus anyone who might be able to play him in FF would likely be in the semi-final game (which would presumably mean they have a decent team in the first place), so they can bench a productive player hoping Cobb gets a normal workload after not playing in a game for over 2 months.

Man, do you know how to fabricate or what? He is walking on it NOW. The muscles are not going unused. Sheesh.

Have you ever had a leg break? To heal, you have to let it be. You can't run (I suppose he could hop on the other leg), you can't lift weights (again I guess he could focus on the other leg, but that would be harmful, not beneficial). You can THINK he's going to play weeks 15 & 16, but the fact is even if the recovery is on the fast side (only 6 weeks), he won't be able to start running/lifting/practicing until after week 13. 2 weeks isn't going to be enough time to get into football shape. If the recovery takes closer to the full 8 weeks, that would mean that he wouldn't be able to start running/lifting/practicing until about 5 days before their week 15 game. You really think that after 2 months of no running/lifting/blocking/being tackled, he's going to play "a lot of snaps" with less than a week of conditioning/practice? If you do, you're delusional.
So IF his recovery happens as fast as it possibly can, then he'll have 3 whole weeks to try to re-build the leg muscles that were virtually unused for almost 2 months. Plus he won't have any real contact, as most NFL teams don't do much full contact practicing that late in the season.

Man, do you know how to fabricate or what? He is walking on it NOW. The muscles are not going unused. Sheesh.
Not fabricating anything. He has a broken bone in his leg. He shouldn't be walking on it. Please feel free to provide a link that he is walking on his broken leg.

The muscles ARE NOT being used. The muscles in his "healthy" leg are being used, and in theory, he could do single-leg squats or other exercises that just hit that leg, but that would be a bad idea, as having 1 leg significantly stronger than the other would lead to possible future injury (compensation for the "weaker" leg).

After he is able to use the leg, he is going to need to build up the strength in that leg, and he is going to need to get back into football shape. Those aren't fabrications, those are facts. Choosing to believe that he will be able to do so in only a few weeks, and that your FF team will be in a position to be good enough to make the semi-finals, but bad enough to need to take a shot on a question mark like Cobb returning from this injury is where the questions arise.

This link has information from a Doctor who doesn't know Cobb, hasn't seen his X-ray, and isn't affiliated with the Packers, so lots of good information there. <_<

And, it doesn't say he "would" be ready by week 14, it says "in the best case scenario," and barring "complications, setbacks, and delayed healing," it would be "reasonable to expect a return by week 14 or so" Furthermore, this article was written BEFORE the Packers placed Cobb on IR-DTR, so it's REASONABLE to assume that they had a little more information about Cobb's injury than this Dr who has never met the man, and decided that it wasn't reasonable to expect him back by week 14, otherwise, they wouldn't have given him a designation that makes it impossible for him to be back in week 14.

Aside: Finley is more likely to return and is more valuable in fantasy if he does, adjusted for position.

This link has information from a Doctor who doesn't know Cobb, hasn't seen his X-ray, and isn't affiliated with the Packers, so lots of good information there. <_< And, it doesn't say he "would" be ready by week 14, it says "in the best case scenario," and barring "complications, setbacks, and delayed healing," it would be "reasonable to expect a return by week 14 or so" Furthermore, this article was written BEFORE the Packers placed Cobb on IR-DTR, so it's REASONABLE to assume that they had a little more information about Cobb's injury than this Dr who has never met the man, and decided that it wasn't reasonable to expect him back by week 14, otherwise, they wouldn't have given him a designation that makes it impossible for him to be back in week 14.
Lol, I give this doctor's uninformed opinion more weight than your uninformed opinion.

This link has information from a Doctor who doesn't know Cobb, hasn't seen his X-ray, and isn't affiliated with the Packers, so lots of good information there. <_< And, it doesn't say he "would" be ready by week 14, it says "in the best case scenario," and barring "complications, setbacks, and delayed healing," it would be "reasonable to expect a return by week 14 or so" Furthermore, this article was written BEFORE the Packers placed Cobb on IR-DTR, so it's REASONABLE to assume that they had a little more information about Cobb's injury than this Dr who has never met the man, and decided that it wasn't reasonable to expect him back by week 14, otherwise, they wouldn't have given him a designation that makes it impossible for him to be back in week 14.
Lol, I give this doctor's uninformed opinion more weight than your uninformed opinion.
LOL, I give GB's team doctors' INFORMED opinion more weight than this doctor's uninformed opinion, and GB's doctors' informed opinion was that he wouldn't be back in week 14, so they put him on IR-DTR.

LOL, I give GB's team doctors' INFORMED opinion more weight than this doctor's uninformed opinion, and GB's doctors' informed opinion was that he wouldn't be back in week 14, so they put him on IR-DTR.
Your inference is off base. They put him on IR-DTR because it frees up a roster spot on the team for eight weeks. Not because they were sure he wouldn't be back by week 15+. There are plenty of indicators here to point to a non-zero chance that Cobb plays in weeks 15 and 16, despite your opinion otherwise.

Your inference is off base. They put him on IR-DTR because it frees up a roster spot on the team for eight weeks. Not because they were sure he wouldn't be back by week 15+. There are plenty of indicators here to point to a non-zero chance that Cobb plays in weeks 15 and 16, despite your opinion otherwise.
Nothing about my inference is off base. If the Pack thought he could return to play by week 14, they wouldn't have put him on IR-DTR. Having Cobb on the field is more valuable than having another ST player on the roster, because that 53rd position would be filled by a guy who would contribute primarily on ST.

And have you even read my posts? I've never said there is zero chance he plays in week 15 & 16 (In fact, I've specifically said the exact opposite; that I expect him to play in those weeks), but that the playing time he gets in those weeks will be more to prepare him for the full workload they want him to get in the NFL playoffs. And starting a guy in your FF semi-finals or finals who is not playing his "normal" number of snaps isn't a good situation for a FF owner.

Nothing about my inference is off base. If the Pack thought he could return to play by week 14, they wouldn't have put him on IR-DTR. Having Cobb on the field is more valuable than having another ST player on the roster, because that 53rd position would be filled by a guy who would contribute primarily on ST.
You and I have very different thoughts about this particular point. And about how long it will likely take a 3rd yr professional football player to heal from a clean upper fibula fracture. We'll just have to agree to disagree on both fronts.

You and I have very different thoughts about this particular point. And about how long it will likely take a 3rd yr professional football player to heal from a clean upper fibula fracture. We'll just have to agree to disagree on both fronts.
It doesn't matter if an individual is in his 1st year in the NFL, 3rd year in the NFL, 10th year in the NFL, or has never played a snap of football in his life; you don't heal faster because you play football.

We can agree to disagree on whether Cobb playing in week 14 is more valuable than one of the 5 guys who wouldn't be active on game days if you want (but you seriously think the Pack would rather have some guy inactive on game days, or Randall Cobb? :rolleyes: ); but there's no room for disagreement on the time it takes this injury to heal.

It doesn't matter if an individual is in his 1st year in the NFL, 3rd year in the NFL, 10th year in the NFL, or has never played a snap of football in his life; you don't heal faster because you play football.

We can agree to disagree on whether Cobb playing in week 14 is more valuable than one of the 5 guys who wouldn't be active on game days if you want (but you seriously think the Pack would rather have some guy inactive on game days, or Randall Cobb? :rolleyes: ); but there's no room for disagreement on the time it takes this injury to heal.
There seems to be plenty of room for disagreement about whether or not he has enough time to heal to play in weeks 15 and 16. I side with the doctor and physical therapists' opinions over yours. Get over it.

And yes, I do think the Pack wanted 8 weeks of roster flexibility over a questionable week 14 Randall Cobb. Sorry but your reasoning sucks on that front of this debate. Garbage in garbage out style.

LawFitz said:
Bayhawks said:
LawFitz said:
Bayhawks said:

There seems to be plenty of room for disagreement about whether or not he has enough time to heal to play in weeks 15 and 16. I side with the doctor and physical therapists' opinions over yours. Get over it.

And yes, I do think the Pack wanted 8 weeks of roster flexibility over a questionable week 14 Randall Cobb. Sorry but your reasoning sucks on that front of this debate. Garbage in garbage out style.
So you start out by saying he'll have enough time to heal to play in weeks 15 & 16 (again ignoring the fact that I have said the EXACT SAME THING in this very thread), then continue saying that the Pack were so sure he would be questionable in week 14 that they would rather have a practice squad player active?

So, sometime between week 14, Cobb is going to go from really questionable (so much so that they would rather have John Q. grocery bagger NOT active on game days) to 100%, raring to go in week 15? :loco:

But my reasoning sucks? :confused:

Okay, buddy, whatever you say. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread