What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**The Official Randall 'touchdown robber' Cobber Bandwagon** (1 Viewer)

Bayhawks,

First off, I apologize for the harsh words of my last post. They were uncalled for and far from excellent.

Our debate has become circular, so I'll end it with this...

We agree that there is a non-zero chance that Cobb will play in 15 and 16. How far above zero and to what effect are both up for conjecture. I think the odds are good enough to where it's not an easy call dropping him, especially considering he is a top 5 fantasy WR on a PPG basis. Even if he puts up only 70% of his normal production, that will still be a potential boost with upside to many WR3 slots. I certainly wouldn't drop him given all of the available info to this point, unless the roster spot becomes a potential pivot point in whether or not I make the playoffs or he suffers a set back in his rehab.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading the arguments in this thread make my brain hurt.

Does someone with a bench spot take a flyer on Cobb if they know they'll be in the playoffs?

Long shot, but if he's healthy and Rodgers is back, could be a secret weapon in week 16.

Bayhawks,

First off, I apologize for the harsh words of my last post. They were uncalled for and far from excellent.

Our debate has become circular, so I'll end it with this...

We agree that there is a non-zero chance that Cobb will play in 15 and 16. How far above zero and to what effect are both up for conjecture. I think the odds are good enough to where it's not an easy call dropping him, especially considering he is a top 5 fantasy WR on a PPG basis. Even if he puts up only 70% of his normal production, that will still be a potential boost with upside to many WR3 slots. I certainly wouldn't drop him given all of the available info to this point, unless the roster spot becomes a potential pivot point in whether or not I make the playoffs or he suffers a set back in his rehab.
Respect!

Reading the arguments in this thread make my brain hurt.

Does someone with a bench spot take a flyer on Cobb if they know they'll be in the playoffs?

Long shot, but if he's healthy and Rodgers is back, could be a secret weapon in week 16.
If you're absolutely desperate, then stash him, with the idea that if anyone usable comes along you'll let him go.

Playing week 15 is a best case scenario. Even if he does, he will be on a snap count week 15. So can you feel comfortable starting him in your championship game not knowing if he will take the full compliment of snaps?

I don't see much of a scenario where he is usable for fantasy teams this year. I can't imagine many lineups that make it to week 16, but still have a roster that dictates taking the risk on Cobb being startworthy.

Just won my bye so searching to see if Cobb was worth stashing. Even if he returns you have Jones/Nelson to contend with, so with Boykin it's not as if they need Cobb to do much. So tempting but think I'm going to pass..Though he has the Cowboys in week 15, and Steelers at home week 16. That one could be a shootout. And Steelers can be decent on the corners but get destroyed by slot receivers. Oh man.....tough call.

Just won my bye so searching to see if Cobb was worth stashing. Even if he returns you have Jones/Nelson to contend with, so with Boykin it's not as if they need Cobb to do much. So tempting but think I'm going to pass..Though he has the Cowboys in week 15, and Steelers at home week 16. That one could be a shootout. And Steelers can be decent on the corners but get destroyed by slot receivers. Oh man.....tough call.
I haven't been able to find any "news" about Cobb since he was placed on IR-DTR. He "can" begin practicing next week, if he's healthy enough to do so.

That being said, I must correct you with regards to the Steelers, they don't get destroyed by slot receivers. The only slot receiver to have a huge day against them is Amendola. The only other slot receiver to score on them this year is Earl Bennett (2/22/1). Most of the damage done against them comes via the outside receivers.

Packers coach: Randall Cobb 'getting healthy'
by Michael Hurcomb | CBSSports.com

(2:43 pm ET) Packers coach Mike McCarthy said he didn't have an update Wednesday on the status of wide receiver Randall Cobb, who is on short-term injured reserve with a fractured right fibula, other than to say the injured receiver is progressing.

"He's off his Segway. He's getting around a lot better," McCarthy said. "I see him in the weight room. He's getting healthy."

Is he really a "special" player? It looks like Boykin is just as good. Without Rogers, only Jordy still has high value.

CaptMLM said:
Is he really a "special" player? It looks like Boykin is just as good. Without Rogers, only Jordy still has high value.
Jordy is averaging 8.0 fantasy points without Rodgers, while Boykin is averaging 7.3.

CaptMLM said:
Jordy is averaging 8.0 fantasy points without Rodgers, while Boykin is averaging 7.3.
PPR Boykin has been better with Tolzien.

Basically...Boykin had a bad game with Wallace.

But to act as if Boykin is just as good as Cobb is...well, what I would expect from this new poster given his few posts today.

CaptMLM said:
Boykin can't play QB or RB. Cobb is such a true quality football player, he's well worth the read if you have some time or even just some videos on youtube.

yes Cobb is quite special compared to Boykin. If anyone questions this, have you watched them play?? Or just watched the stat sheet??

yes Cobb is quite special compared to Boykin. If anyone questions this, have you watched them play?? Or just watched the stat sheet??
Aren't we talking about FANTASY FOOTBALL? Stats are all that matters at the end of the day. I'm well aware of how physically gifted Cobb is. I was very high on him coming out of Kentucky. Here is the point:

Cobb Averages (4 Starts) 6 Catches - 81 Yards - 2 Total TDs

Boykin Averages (5 Starts) 6 Catches - 82 Yards - 1 Total TD

Aren't we talking about FANTASY FOOTBALL? Stats are all that matters at the end of the day. I'm well aware of how physically gifted Cobb is. I was very high on him coming out of Kentucky. Here is the point:

Cobb Averages (4 Starts) 6 Catches - 81 Yards - 2 Total TDs

Boykin Averages (5 Starts) 6 Catches - 82 Yards - 1 Total TD
No need for shouting. Boykin is good. Cobb is special. Your sample size is way too small. Watch them play.

Rotoworld:

Randall Cobb (leg, short-term IR) said he's not certain he'll be able to play again this season.

Cobb isn't even eligible to play until Week 15. "I can't make that call right now," he said about a possible return. "Right now, today, I cannot play. ... This is something that it needs time. It's getting better. There's still no timeline on when I can come back." A Week 16 or 17 return sounds like an absolute best-case scenario, leaving Cobb with almost no stash appeal in re-draft formats. The Packers will continue to roll with Jordy Nelson, James Jones and Jarrett Boykin as their top-three wideouts.

Source: Green Bay Press-Gazette

Rotoworld:

Randall Cobb (leg, short-term IR) said he's not certain he'll be able to play again this season.

Cobb isn't even eligible to play until Week 15. "I can't make that call right now," he said about a possible return. "Right now, today, I cannot play. ... This is something that it needs time. It's getting better. There's still no timeline on when I can come back." A Week 16 or 17 return sounds like an absolute best-case scenario, leaving Cobb with almost no stash appeal in re-draft formats. The Packers will continue to roll with Jordy Nelson, James Jones and Jarrett Boykin as their top-three wideouts.

But...but....but...some Dr who never examined Cobb said they believed he would be ready by week 14? How can it be that their uninformed speculation wasn't correct? :shock:

Just kidding. I'm not sure if this means anything, especially without seeing the context in which this quote was made. RW is editorializing again, though. They say Cobb doesn't know if he'll play gain this season, but I didn't see that in the quote. All I saw was that he can't make the call about his possible return, and that he can't play RIGHT NOW. Obviously he can't play today. Physically, he might not be fully healed, but he actually CAN'T play for another couple of weeks, at least.

The Pack wants to hold onto a playoff spot, at least, and hopefully have Rodgers AND Cobb back when that happens. Unless they have something to be gained at the end of the season (division title, WC spot), I don't see them rushing him back.

Rotoworld:

But...but....but...some Dr who never examined Cobb said they believed he would be ready by week 14? How can it be that their uninformed speculation wasn't correct? :shock:

Just kidding. I'm not sure if this means anything, especially without seeing the context in which this quote was made. RW is editorializing again, though. They say Cobb doesn't know if he'll play gain this season, but I didn't see that in the quote. All I saw was that he can't make the call about his possible return, and that he can't play RIGHT NOW. Obviously he can't play today. Physically, he might not be fully healed, but he actually CAN'T play for another couple of weeks, at least.

The Pack wants to hold onto a playoff spot, at least, and hopefully have Rodgers AND Cobb back when that happens. Unless they have something to be gained at the end of the season (division title, WC spot), I don't see them rushing him back.
Rotoworld is very emotional with their player updates. And their opinions have been biased all year. I don't have Cobb stashed at all. I question where they are getting the "A Week 16 or 17 return sounds like an absolute best-case scenario" just because Cobb is being logical with his answer. He's rehabbing. Of course he can't make a call. Of course he won't know the exact timetable. If he states the goal is week 15 well then we all know that. If you look at CBS Fantasy Sports player updates, they mostly just give you the facts with less emotional response.

Rotoworld is quite annoying.

Rotoworld:

Rotoworld is very emotional with their player updates. And their opinions have been biased all year. I don't have Cobb stashed at all. I question where they are getting the "A Week 16 or 17 return sounds like an absolute best-case scenario" just because Cobb is being logical with his answer. He's rehabbing. Of course he can't make a call. Of course he won't know the exact timetable. If he states the goal is week 15 well then we all know that. If you look at CBS Fantasy Sports player updates, they mostly just give you the facts with less emotional response.

Agreed....they tend to insert their own "spin" in their reports that are often posted/accepted as if they were part of the quote.

Rotoworld:

Agreed....they tend to insert their own "spin" in their reports that are often posted/accepted as if they were part of the quote.
I also notice that they will state opinions such as "Player X had 5 catches for 70 yards and a TD in week 11 but he is still merely a WR4 at this time". Well, wouldn't that depend on the format? In a PPR, said player is a WR3. In a 14 team league PPR a high upside WR3. The writer thinks everyone plays in their league.

Rotoworld:

Randall Cobb (leg, I.R./recall) has yet to be cleared to practice.

Cobb is eligible to return in Week 15, but that doesn't appear realistic. Cobb said late last month he wasn't sure if he would play again this season. At this point, it appears more likely than not that Cobb has played his final snap of 2013. He's a wasted roster stash for the fantasy playoffs.

Source: Packers on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Randall Cobb (leg, short-term I.R.) has been cleared to resume running.

At this time last week, Cobb had yet to be cleared to do much of anything. It's progress, but it still seems highly unlikely he plays again this season. Cobb broke his leg in Week 6 and may be shut down if the Packers are eliminated from playoff contention. He's barely worth holding onto in fantasy.

Source: Jason Wilde on Twitter

So, he's been cleared to do running, but hasn't been cleared to practice & hasn't been activated off IR. Doesn't look to be playing in week 15, which was the absolute earliest part of the recovery timeline. Doesn't look like he will be able to do much in week 16, either, since he hasn't even started practicing.

I don't think the Pack expected to do as poorly as they did while Cobb was out (they probably didn't expect Rodgers to get hurt, though). Seems pretty obvious that they were hoping Cobb would be able to help them in the playoffs, and not in the regular season. If they get eliminated from contention, I can't imagine we'll see Cobb again this year.

So, he's been cleared to do running, but hasn't been cleared to practice & hasn't been activated off IR. Doesn't look to be playing in week 15, which was the absolute earliest part of the recovery timeline. Doesn't look like he will be able to do much in week 16, either, since he hasn't even started practicing.

I don't think the Pack expected to do as poorly as they did while Cobb was out (they probably didn't expect Rodgers to get hurt, though). Seems pretty obvious that they were hoping Cobb would be able to help them in the playoffs, and not in the regular season. If they get eliminated from contention, I can't imagine we'll see Cobb again this year.
That would have to wait for next week even.

With the way the standings are and everyone in the division keeps falling down...even a loss this week and wins by Chicago and Detroit don't put them out of it mathematically.

Reality...meh, I don't think they have a Championship caliber team right now even with Rodgers and Cobb. Possible sure...they should be able to put up points on anyway. But they can't stop anyone.

Rotoworld:

Randall Cobb (leg, I.R./recall) had a "strong" workout on Monday, and the Packers will make a plan for his week on Wednesday.

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Tom Silverstein expects Cobb to get in some practice reps on Wednesday. That would obviously be a major development, but wouldn't necessarily put Cobb on track for Sunday's game against the Steelers. Even were Cobb to finally return, he'd likely be on a snap count, and an extremely dicey option for the fantasy finals.

Source: Tom Silverstein on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Randall Cobb (leg) practiced on Thursday, but appeared "extremely limited."

It's good to see Cobb out there on back-to-back days, but it would be extremely surprising if he returned for Sunday's game against the Steelers. We're unlikely to see Cobb in either Week 16 or 17. He needs the Pack to pull off a surprise division title to get back on the field this season.

Source: Rob Demovsky on Twitter

Rotoworld:

FOX Sports suggests Randall Cobb (leg) will likely only play this season if the Packers make the playoffs.

Cobb finally returned to practice Wednesday for the first time since fracturing his tibia on Oct. 13. But he hasn't been medically cleared to play and is actually only one week removed from being cleared to run. The location of Cobb's fracture resulted in some complications with his knee.

Source: FOX Sports Wisconsin

Odd that they even worked him in ot some punt returns I thought I read...not sure why they would put him out there unless they just want him getting the work there as a "just in case" if someone were to get hurt or something.

Rotoworld:

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Randall Cobb (leg, short-term I.R.) looked like "a guy who might be playing sooner, rather than later" at Friday's practice.
Cobb practiced with the Packers' offense, seeming to "to run and cut on a dime with relative ease." Cobb is not expected to play a full complement of snaps in Week 17 against the Bears, but could definitely make an impact on limited playing time and resume his normal role in the first round of the playoffs. At this point, we expect him to be activated from short-term I.R. on Saturday.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Odd that they even worked him in ot some punt returns I thought I read...not sure why they would put him out there unless they just want him getting the work there as a "just in case" if someone were to get hurt or something.
I bet he returns punts his whole career-maybe not as "the guy" but he's too good and too smart to not have him as an option.

Maybe similar to Tim and Troy Brown?

I bet he returns punts his whole career-maybe not as "the guy" but he's too good and too smart to not have him as an option. Maybe similar to Tim and Troy Brown?
Sure, next year, fine (though.I do like Hyde back there)

But nit right after coming back.from injury.

Giddy up.

Hoping at least once to see a.4 wide set with Nelson, Jones, Cobb, and Boykin with Lacy in the backfield.

Rotoworld takes:

Packers activated WR Randall Cobb from injured reserve/designated to return.
Cobb has been practicing in full since Thursday and is officially listed as questionable on the injury report. He'll likely be on a snap count if active this week, but is expected to be available for a limited role in Sunday's NFC North championship game. Cobb is unlikely to make a major impact on offense and is not a recommended daily-league option.
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport confirms "there’s a very good chance" Randall Cobb (leg, short-term I.R.) will be activated for Week 17 against the Bears.
Cobb practiced with the first-team offense this week and didn't suffer any setbacks. He should be available for a limited role in Sunday's NFC North championship, but will almost certainly be on a snap count. Cobb is unlikely to make a major impact in his return and can't be trusted as a daily-league option.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

All the reports just assume he will be on a snap count. McCarthy and Thompson have never done that before with anyone coming off an injury. Why would they start now? They are ultra conservative in bringing guys back. But when they activate it means it's go time. If something comes out from a coach prior to kick off I'm all ears.

Rotoworld:

FOX's Jay Glazer confirms Randall Cobb (leg) will be active for Sunday's Week 17 game at Chicago.
The Packers didn't take Cobb off short-term IR for fun. Their explosive slot receiver and return man is going to suit up for this NFC North title game and contribute in any way he can. We're expecting limited offensive snaps, leading to a No. 56 fantasy ranking among wideouts.

Source: Jay Glazer on Twitter

If they win, they win the NFC North...I would guess they'll use him plenty. Maybe they rest him if they get a good lead, but chances are he did well by that point then.

Started him in the championship. Brought home the title with the game winning TD. He made the most of his limited role. I will be ordering a Cobb jersey to show my appreciation.

Rotoworld:

Randall Cobb caught two passes for 55 yards and two touchdowns in Green Bay's Week 17 win over the Bears.
That's one way to announce your return from an 11-week absence. Cobb was nowhere to be found on the Packers' first two drives, but surfaced on the third. He mostly acted as a decoy, with his catches serving as his lone targets. Of course, both those targets went for scores, the second of which gave the Packers a 33-28 lead with 0:38 remaining that they would not relinquish. Cobb got behind the entire defense as the Bears sent the house on fourth down. Cobb should have a much bigger role against the 49ers in the Wild Card round.

Anyone worried he is going to be injury prone? He has missed time in all 3 years as a pro. Granted it was only 1 game in each of his first 2 seasons.

Rotoworld:

Randall Cobb (leg) played on 37-of-78 snaps (47.4 percent) in the Week 17 win over the Bears.

Coming off an 11-week absence, Cobb operated mostly out of the slot and turned two targets into a 2/55/2 line. Expect a bigger role against the 49ers Sunday. During the first four games of the season, Cobb played on 92.0 percent of the snaps and averaged 10.0 targets per day. He's not even listed on this week's injury report.

Source: profootballfocus.com

Rotoworld:

Randall Cobb said he wants to focus on improving his tackle-breaking ability this offseason.

Cobb is hungry, just 23 years old and entering a contract year in 2014. "I've got to get better at breaking tackles," he said. "If I want to be a great player -- and not just a good player -- I have to do more. I have to be more. I'm going to take that upon myself this offseason." In the four games prior to his broken leg this season, Cobb posted 25 catches for 325 yards with two touchdowns. Projected over a full season, that's 100 catches, 1,300 yards and eight scores.

Rotoworld:

Randall Cobb said he wants to focus on improving his tackle-breaking ability this offseason.

Cobb is hungry, just 23 years old and entering a contract year in 2014. "I've got to get better at breaking tackles," he said. "If I want to be a great player -- and not just a good player -- I have to do more. I have to be more. I'm going to take that upon myself this offseason." In the four games prior to his broken leg this season, Cobb posted 25 catches for 325 yards with two touchdowns. Projected over a full season, that's 100 catches, 1,300 yards and eight scores.

"Football player quoted as saying he wants to be a better football player."

Users who are viewing this thread