What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Jon Baldwin Hype Train (1 Viewer)

EBF

Footballguy
If Calvin Johnson is Megatron then maybe Jon Baldwin can be Starscream.

The 26th pick in the 2011 NFL draft goes...

6'4" and change

228 pounds

4.49 40 time

10'9" broad jump

42" vertical leap

One of the best jump ball receivers in the NFL?

After grinding hard in the offseason, Baldwin has been ripping it up in training camp:

(Rotoworld) Jonathan Baldwin's rapid development has been "sensational" early in Chiefs camp. Analysis: Baldwin is one of the handful of young NFL players drawing the most raves for his work over the past week. Coaches have been impressed with his ability to make spectacular catches seem routine. NFL.com's Bucky Brooks notes that he has also "started to figure out how to utilize his superior physical traits to dominate on the perimeter." We're anxious to see if Baldwin's emergence pushes Steve Breaston to the slot.
(Rotoworld) ESPN's Matt Williamson thinks 50 catches is a "reasonable expectation" for Chiefs WR Jonathan Baldwin this season. Analysis: Baldwin caught 21 balls in 11 games last season, but the first-round pick was still getting up to NFL speed. In 2012, the Chiefs will continue their run-first philosophy and institute more two-tight sets, making Baldwin's road to fantasy relevance a tough one. To eclipse 50 receptions, he'll need to pass Steve Breaston on the depth chart or Dwayne Bowe's holdout will need to carry into the regular season.
Baldwin has the pedigree and ability to be one of the top breakout WR candidates in the NFL this year.All aboard the hype train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrTEX8tvHhc

I like his potential but Starscream was the stumbling bumbling moron of a right hand man to Megatron. He needs a better nickname than that.

What's the value of this "Hype Train" (or, should I say what's the eventual upside you see, and therefore, your ranking)?

This thread would have been a hell of a lot more helpful last year when he was going in 10th round of start-ups.

Baldwin's owners haven't been dealing. Owners have to immediately begin paying WR15 cost / divesting at WR15 value for a change of hands on this cat. Is he worth that?

I grabbed Baldwin late in my dynasty draft last year with the expectation that Bowe wasn't gonna resign. Here's hoping he's traded!

What's the value of this "Hype Train" (or, should I say what's the eventual upside you see, and therefore, your ranking)? This thread would have been a hell of a lot more helpful last year when he was going in 10th round of start-ups. Baldwin's owners haven't been dealing. Owners have to immediately begin paying WR15 cost / divesting at WR15 value for a change of hands on this cat. Is he worth that?
I've not seen him ranked that high. He was pretty undervalued last year in rookie drafts and went at WR30 in the only startup that I did this year. There's plenty of value at that price. He was a high pick and he has all the tools needed to be a perennial 1000+ yard guy, but he's available for a fraction of the cost of an AJ Green/Julio Jones. Definitely a great player to target if you don't have the budget to buy name brand. And this isn't strictly a dynasty thread. He's shaping up to be a great late round pick in redrafts, where a lot of casual players probably don't even know who he is.

What's the value of this "Hype Train" (or, should I say what's the eventual upside you see, and therefore, your ranking)? This thread would have been a hell of a lot more helpful last year when he was going in 10th round of start-ups. Baldwin's owners haven't been dealing. Owners have to immediately begin paying WR15 cost / divesting at WR15 value for a change of hands on this cat. Is he worth that?
I've not seen him ranked that high. He was pretty undervalued last year in rookie drafts and went at WR30 in the only startup that I did this year. There's plenty of value at that price. He was a high pick and he has all the tools needed to be a perennial 1000+ yard guy, but he's available for a fraction of the cost of an AJ Green/Julio Jones. Definitely a great player to target if you don't have the budget to buy name brand. And this isn't strictly a dynasty thread. He's shaping up to be a great late round pick in redrafts, where a lot of casual players probably don't even know who he is.
EBF do you think he's value in a redraft as early as say round 9 or 10 or were you thinking much later?

I don't think EBF is accounting for owners severely over valuing their players. WR15 price is delusional.

EBF do you think he's value in a redraft as early as say round 9 or 10 or were you thinking much later?
Depends on league size. I think he's a good WR4, wherever that may be. You don't want to have to rely on him as a starter, but he has the upside to give you that big out-of-nowhere 1200 yard 10 TD season that can make a big difference for your team. I play in one local redraft league in addition to my more competitive dynasty leagues, and he's the perfect sleeper candidate for a league like that because he will drop far into the draft.

I understand if you are speaking about redraft. I want to know about dynasty. I'm not really concerned with the "casual player" with this follow-up. You are a big dynasty poster so I'd like to know.The price of acquiring him in established dynasty leagues, where owners bought him last year, is far different than the WR30 you saw earlier this off-season. His ADP in dynasty start-ups this week will be much adjusted from just a month ago. Unless we are talking primarily redraft.I'm asking you, where do you have him ranked for dynasty? If you started this thread, I would assume you are quite a bit higher than the WR30 referenced, or if drafts were today on, WR18-20 (I can't imagine you would start a thread with only a 5 WR swing (i.e. referenced WR30 to just a minimal upswing to WR25 after the press).If you are offered Vincent Jackson for him what do you say? How does he stack up against Kendall Wright in grand scheme? Even Blackmon?

I don't maintain a list of rankings. The way I draft and trade is to identify a group of players that I like and then focus on those guys. In a typical startup draft I might only have thirty names on my cheat sheet. So if you ask me exactly where I'd rank him, I really can't answer that.

I like all three of the receivers you listed. In a 12 team league, if you can get any of these guys for the price of roughly a 5th-6th rounder, I think it's a pretty good gamble.

Trade prices are going to vary hugely depending on your trading partner. If people are valuing Baldwin close to top 10 WRs then you're not going to get him at a good price. But from what I can see in the dynasty trade thread and in other recent discussions involving him, there are plenty of folks who don't view him as an elite asset or even close. It's a good time to make an inquiry. If he shows more flashes of potential this year, which seems likely, his price isn't going to drop at all.

J Cook Straight Up

In what world us this guy top 15 with Bowe still on the team. It would be tough for him to break top 15 with Bowe off the team. Don't forget who his QB is.

J Cook Straight Up
3 days ago I gave Redman and a 2014 1st to get Baldwin. I am on board.

In what world us this guy top 15 with Bowe still on the team. It would be tough for him to break top 15 with Bowe off the team. Don't forget who his QB is.
plenty of owners feel this way about the players they draft, especially when they get hype during camp.

For those that don't remember here's a catch from him last year. As I Denver fan I remember it well.

Sick Snatch

I don't know if I'm on the hype train yet - but I was that day after I saw that catch.

What if Baldwin is actually the better WR?Drafted him in four leagues last year and tried to pick him up in several others this off-season, but his owners aren't budging. If you want him you're going to have to pay.

He's always had the tools to be a top-end receiver, but he had such a disasterous start to his career folks wrote him off (including me).

But in a rare, lightning-strikes turn of events, it seems he woke up and now apparently "gets it". Sounds like he's really putting on a show of his stills and attitude.

That's a very promising combination. And this guy is on waivers is most leagues right now.

KC likes to run with Charles and Hillis ( I would expect). I have a hard time thinking Baldwin is going to put up anywhere near 1000 yeard and 10 TD's.. especially when Bowe comes back to the team just before week 1 ( not a chance he misses game checks IMHO).

Ifyou are predicting 10 td's for Baldwin, do we really think that KC is suddenly going to turn into a high powered Offense?

His value is almost exclusively in dynasty and tied to Bowe. I think a Franchise tag of Bowe without a long term deal in place yet puts Baldwin in a great spot starting next year, but limits his upside this year. He may not have Bowe type catching but he has the body for it IMO

KC likes to run with Charles and Hillis ( I would expect). I have a hard time thinking Baldwin is going to put up anywhere near 1000 yeard and 10 TD's.. especially when Bowe comes back to the team just before week 1 ( not a chance he misses game checks IMHO). Ifyou are predicting 10 td's for Baldwin, do we really think that KC is suddenly going to turn into a high powered Offense?
I hope no one is predicting that. I doubt Bowe even sees 10. This is a team that will likely only pass the ball 500 times with probably 130-140 going to Bowe. But if Baldwin is the real deal then he'll show enough in 2012 that he'll be very expensive in 2013 if Bowe departs.

KC likes to run with Charles and Hillis ( I would expect). I have a hard time thinking Baldwin is going to put up anywhere near 1000 yeard and 10 TD's.. especially when Bowe comes back to the team just before week 1 ( not a chance he misses game checks IMHO). Ifyou are predicting 10 td's for Baldwin, do we really think that KC is suddenly going to turn into a high powered Offense?
I hope no one is predicting that. I doubt Bowe even sees 10. This is a team that will likely only pass the ball 500 times with probably 130-140 going to Bowe. But if Baldwin is the real deal then he'll show enough in 2012 that he'll be very expensive in 2013 if Bowe departs.
I don't know. I'm not going to go predicting that they throw the ball 600 times, but I think we can see some real shootouts out of the AFC West this year. I know they've said they want to run the ball 500 times, but if they fall behind the likes of Manning, Rivers and Palmer, I don't know if they can.

His value is almost exclusively in dynasty and tied to Bowe. I think a Franchise tag of Bowe without a long term deal in place yet puts Baldwin in a great spot starting next year, but limits his upside this year. He may not have Bowe type catching but he has the body for it IMO
Not sure what is meant by that - but it is my opinion that Baldwin will prove to have more consistent hands than Bowe.

Not sure what is meant by that - but it is my opinion that Baldwin will prove to have more consistent hands than Bowe.
Bowe has made some of the most ridiculous catches I've ever seen. It's hard to replicate Thats all I'm saying.

Bowe has made some of the most ridiculous catches I've ever seen. It's hard to replicate Thats all I'm saying.
Baldwin has a few up his sleeve....Crazy Catch Reference #1

Baldwin is taller than Bowe and a much better leaper. Their combine numbers suggest that Bowe is a little quicker and that he's faster over the first 10 yards, but Baldwin seems to have an edge in every other way. With his combination of height, speed, hands, and hops, he has the potential to be one of the best jump ball receivers in the league. And unlike a lot of other tall guys who can run, he also has strength and a little bit of lateral quickness.

Bowe situation a negative for Chiefs

By Jeffri Chadiha | ESPN.com

The Kansas City Chiefs are making a mistake with wide receiver Dwayne Bowe.

They can talk up second-year wideout Jon Baldwin all they want. They can believe it makes more fiscal sense to keep Bowe on a one-year franchise tender than a long-term deal. What they can't do is convince the world that they can win without him totally focused. That's just not going to work out well for them.

Bowe is easily the least-discussed holdout in the NFL these days, but his situation certainly is capable of hurting the Chiefs in the long run. Because Kansas City won't know if running back Jamaal Charles has recovered completely from a torn ACL, Bowe is the best offensive player on the Chiefs' roster. He's gained more than 1,000 yards receiving in three of the past four seasons. He's made the Pro Bowl. He's been the person Kansas City could most count on when it needed to make something happen offensively.

Most importantly, Bowe is the man who makes life easier for quarterback Matt Cassel. We've reached the point where we finally can say with conviction that Cassel is merely a serviceable NFL signal-caller. He's not good enough to carry a team by himself and he's capable only when surrounded by the right people. That means Cassel needs all the legitimate weapons he can find. In that regard, Bowe is as good as it gets for the Chiefs.

The problem is Bowe has been nowhere near the Chiefs since last season ended. The team hit him with the franchise tender when he became a free agent and the speculation then was that a long-term deal was bound to happen. General manager Scott Pioli had declined to invest big money in cornerback Brandon Carr (another free agent who eventually signed a $50 million deal in Dallas), so it appeared Kansas City was going all-in on Bowe. That possibility died the moment the deadline to sign long-term deals passed without Bowe and the Chiefs reaching an agreement. He could play this year for $9.5 million, then see what happens next offseason.

The theory that has been suggested in some circles is that the Chiefs want to rent Bowe for a year instead of committing to him long-term. The thinking there is that he'd been such a knucklehead in his early years -- inflated ego, shaky work ethic, stupid comments to the media -- that there's no telling how he'd behave with a hefty raise. The reality is that the old Bowe vanished years ago. In his place is a wiser, steadier veteran who rarely even talks to reporters.

At this stage, you could legitimately argue that Bowe is one of the 10 best wide receivers in the NFL. He also deserves to be paid somewhere in the neighborhood of the deals that recently went to receivers such as Philadelphia's DeSean Jackson (five years, $51 million) and Tampa Bay's Vincent Jackson (five years, $55 million). Now it's possible Bowe might have complicated negotiations by overestimating his market value. It's also quite likely that Pioli was never willing to spend too much to keep Bowe in the first place.

If Pioli's history in New England should tell us anything about his thoughts on receivers, it's that he doesn't place a high value on them. The Patriots never gave big money to their wideouts during Pioli's tenure -- they parted ways with two starters, Deion Branch and David Givens, after New England won Super Bowl XXXIX -- and the acquisition of Randy Moss in 2007 was a major bargain. The Patriots stole Moss from Oakand in a trade that cost New England a fourth-round pick. It was the kind of safe gamble that Pioli relishes.

It's now safe to assume Pioli was positioning himself for this offseason when he used a first-round pick on Baldwin in the 2011 draft. But turning to Baldwin as the No. 1 receiver is a big risk in a year when Kansas City desperately needs to finish on the right side of .500. If the Chiefs start stinking up the joint once again, Pioli -- who has been around for one winning season in three years -- will be feeling the heat right along with new head coach Romeo Crennel.

It's a big leap to think a player with 21 career receptions is going to be as good as Bowe is right now. We also know Bowe will return to the Chiefs at some point because he has no choice -- he can't get a long-term deal until next offseason, when Pioli can franchise him again. What isn't so easy to predict is when Bowe will come back and where his head will be at that point. Contract issues sent DeSean Jackson into a funk in Philadelphia last season and they had the same effect on Vincent Jackson during his final two years in San Diego. It's possible Bowe could let his own problems infect his play and that locker room.

It's also apparent that the Chiefs are sending a bad message to one of their best players. They gave long-term deals to stars such as Charles, cornerback Brandon Flowers and linebackers Derrick Johnson and Tamba Hali once they proved their worth. They should've done the same for Bowe as soon as he established his value. It's not like Kansas City doesn't have the money. It's consistently been way under the cap ever since Pioli's arrival in 2009.

We will see what that strategy means for the Chiefs as this year progresses. They're claiming Baldwin is making huge strides and they're staying tight-lipped about Bowe's absence. They're surely thinking their star receiver has no option except to rejoin them and suck it up. What they can't predict is how this season will go if he's not cool with the way he's been treated.

'Bucky86 said:
I feel like Baldwin is going to be a guy that rarely puts up big yardage games, but has a bunch of 5/60/2 type of games.ETA: THIS year.
This is kinda where I am with him as well. Although I do expect a couple games mixed in with 3-4 rec for 125+ yds. I like him more next year but if you are going to get him you really cannot wait if you are on board with him. Bowe holding out is doing nothing but helping him as he is seeing most of the attention in camp.

'Beerguzzler said:
Nowhere did I say I would pay WR15, or that he'd finish WR15 in a redraft setting. I simply asked EBF if he was willing to pay that to acquire him, or divest at much less. A lot tip-toeing.Baldwin's owners are not selling at WR30 start-up cost of earlier this off-season (that I would suggest prospectively is updated to WR23-25 if we looked from a week ago forward). Even so, ADP means nothing unless the data you are using is worthwhile. I'd rather use "ADP" data from 10 leagues of strong dynasty owners than hundreds from guppies.Again, if this hype train was for redraft, than I fully understand. But my guess is EBF would pay/divest at a WR18 value or so, and my point was that the current cost (estimated WR23-25) makes this not too much of a hype train in strong dynasty circles (there will always be weaker circles where Baldwin is still ranked WR40 by most, I understand that). Simply food for thought. Baldwin is a superior athlete to Bowe, but Bowe is undoubtedly better after the catch. As has been previously noted, Baldwin is a better red zone target. Both players can make some pretty nifty over the shoulder catches though.

I was the beneficiary of Baldwin punching Jones in the face in my league last year as he slipped to the early third round of our draft. As a Baldwin owner I am very pleased with his progression. He has had more good news surrounding him than just about any player over the offseason. He has everything you look for in a fantasy WR prospect. He's tall, fast, has good hands, has a good vertical, and was a first round pick.

His biggest knock has been his inability to handle bump and run coverage, but that is something that can be overcome with his size and dedication. The thing that hurts him the most is Matt Cassel, but I am a talent over situation guy when it comes to dynasty so that does not bother me.

Bottom line, I agree with EBF. This guy is a buy now.

'Bucky86 said:
I feel like Baldwin is going to be a guy that rarely puts up big yardage games, but has a bunch of 5/60/2 type of games.ETA: THIS year.
I think that is pretty dead on. With all the running in KC and Bowe as that big play receiver, it seems like Baldwin is that guy that COULD get near that 10 TD mark, but won't have the number of catches and yardage to support him being a truly great WR for your ff team. You can get those 10 TDs, but its probably going to be spread across 7 games or so. So he ends up being a guy whose stats lines look like:78196228Just real hit and miss..hard to live with.

'FavreAndAwayAnIdiot said:
And this guy is on waivers is most leagues right now.
What kind of leagues do you play in?
He's currently only owned in 56% of MFL leagues. That number has gone up the last few days, so I'll have to correct by saying, "And this guy is on waivers in about half of the leagues right now."
I am in a 10 team, 10 player per team keeperleague on MFL and he is on our waiver wire....... He was drafted as a rookie, dropped and picked up a couple of times, then finally dropped for good. I will be keeping 4 WR most likely and I am really looking at him early in our draft as my WR5, especially considering the rookies out there this year.

go ahead and jump on the train.

ive been on it since he was drafted. no off season program last season, tyler palko (who?) as his qb for multiple games, an injury. the offense should be really improved this season with a top oline for the first time in a little while, moeaki is back, jc is back along with hillis. the run game open up the passing game.

baldwin is in for a breakout season. ive seen too many people give up on him after one season. and that was a season where ALOT of uncertainty surounded him.

I'm the guy that drafted him as wr30. Ebf turned this down:

162. Daniel LaRusso / EastBayFunk Trade Rejected Daniel LaRusso offers Baldwin, Jon KCC WR;Thomas, Demaryius DEN WREastBayFunk for Gettis, David CAR WR;Nicks, Hakeem NYG WRExpires: Sat Apr 21 5:00:00 p.m. ET 2012Sat Apr 14 5:29:02 p.m. ET 2012
Nowhere did I say I would pay WR15, or that he'd finish WR15 in a redraft setting. I simply asked EBF if he was willing to pay that to acquire him, or divest at much less. A lot tip-toeing.Baldwin's owners are not selling at WR30 start-up cost of earlier this off-season (that I would suggest prospectively is updated to WR23-25 if we looked from a week ago forward). Even so, ADP means nothing unless the data you are using is worthwhile. I'd rather use "ADP" data from 10 leagues of strong dynasty owners than hundreds from guppies.Again, if this hype train was for redraft, than I fully understand. But my guess is EBF would pay/divest at a WR18 value or so, and my point was that the current cost (estimated WR23-25) makes this not too much of a hype train in strong dynasty circles (there will always be weaker circles where Baldwin is still ranked WR40 by most, I understand that). Simply food for thought. Baldwin is a superior athlete to Bowe, but Bowe is undoubtedly better after the catch. As has been previously noted, Baldwin is a better red zone target. Both players can make some pretty nifty over the shoulder catches though.

I'm the guy that drafted him as wr30. Ebf turned this down:

162. Daniel LaRusso / EastBayFunk Trade Rejected Daniel LaRusso offers Baldwin, Jon KCC WR;Thomas, Demaryius DEN WREastBayFunk for Gettis, David CAR WR;Nicks, Hakeem NYG WRExpires: Sat Apr 21 5:00:00 p.m. ET 2012Sat Apr 14 5:29:02 p.m. ET 2012
He likes Nicks a ton, that doesn't mean he isn't high on Baldwin.

That was almost four months ago. Baldwin and Thomas are risers for me, so I might gamble on that deal now. Especially in a 14 teamer where depth is so hard to come by.

Kind of a moot point though.

I have Baldwin on almost half my ppr dynasty teams, so I certainly put my money where my mouth is with regards to his prospects.

just listened to the Cecil beat writers podcast and the KC journalist was raving about Baldwin. Baldwin worked with Cassell all off season throwing the ball at high schools with each other and have great chemistry on and off the field. Said Cassell just trusts him that when he throws the ball up that Baldwin will come down with it. No doubt Bowe will be a factor but he's still holding out, holdouts often times seem to lead to injuries. It will likely take several weeks to catch up to speed especially since this is in a new offense and he hasn't spent any time with it.

Decided to do a search and stumbled on this thread. This place rocks!! Baldwin has definitely peaked my interest and seems like a great upside pick to throw on your rosters as one of your last picks. There's a good chance that Bowe comes out of the gates slow and if Baldwin blows up it may give you some decent trade value early in the season. If he flames out you drop him for the hot waiver wire pickup. Love taking shots at guys like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drafted him at 19 overall In our rookie draft last year.

Couldnt be more pleased with this past offseason. I'm excited to watch him play!

Bowe is ridiculously talented. On any of the passing powerhouses, he'd be a top five WR. Baldwin has the tools to be that kind of good, but not sure KC/Cassel is the right situation to make a big jump. Still, in dynasty, I'm aboard the train, though I'm not the conductor. Hes a big time hold candidate for me. If I have him, I want a real producer in exchange based on his tremendous potential, but if Im targeting him, I wouldn't be willing to pay the asking price.

I drafted him in the 1st round (rookie draft) last year and all my 1st round picks at WR turn to dog ####. Sorry guys....

I think that is pretty dead on. With all the running in KC and Bowe as that big play receiver, it seems like Baldwin is that guy that COULD get near that 10 TD mark, but won't have the number of catches and yardage to support him being a truly great WR for your ff team. You can get those 10 TDs, but its probably going to be spread across 7 games or so. So he ends up being a guy whose stats lines look like:78196228Just real hit and miss..hard to live with.
Hard to live with, easy to trade the week after he blows up for those 22 points to a WR needy team.

just listened to the Cecil beat writers podcast and the KC journalist was raving about Baldwin. Baldwin worked with Cassell all off season throwing the ball at high schools with each other and have great chemistry on and off the field. Said Cassell just trusts him that when he throws the ball up that Baldwin will come down with it. No doubt Bowe will be a factor but he's still holding out, holdouts often times seem to lead to injuries. It will likely take several weeks to catch up to speed especially since this is in a new offense and he hasn't spent any time with it.Decided to do a search and stumbled on this thread. This place rocks!! Baldwin has definitely peaked my interest and seems like a great upside pick to throw on your rosters as one of your last picks. There's a good chance that Bowe comes out of the gates slow and if Baldwin blows up it may give you some decent trade value early in the season. If he flames out you drop him for the hot waiver wire pickup. Love taking shots at guys like this.
Funny, Cuz Cecil wasnt touching baldwin with a 10 foot pole last year. Maybe, this year he's not as hyped.I like Baldwin a lot this year, but the argument that he makes sick catches would make him a great fantasy WR is funny...1 catch does not make a great WR. Manningham had a lot of those "amazing" catches himself, but still isn never gonna be more than a WR3Let's just keep hoping Bowe's holdout means better things for Baldwin

Users who are viewing this thread