What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official WR Travis Benjamin thread (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
I never would have guessed I would start a Travis Benjamin thread but he's a guy that you will hear about before long.

You may have heard he is a speed guy, correct.

You may have heard his frame is slight, correct.

You may have heard something after the draft about why he wasn't taken till the fourth round, not too big, slight frame, questions about whether or not he'd hold up to the pounding of the NFL and if he can get off the LOS. He is slight and not tall but not short. He has enough scrappyness to get off the line of scrimmage so he's answered that question. He's holding up fine, no signs of him slowing down at all so he can take the pounding.

He runs decent routes and has great hands and he's got chemistry with Weeden so he could be Brandon's go-to guy.

Oh and he does a nice job climbing the ladder and gaining position.

Much as I never would have even guessed in my wildest dreams that this kid would look so good soo soon, or ever for that matter. I have to open up this thread because I think he's going to open up a few eyes, he's impressed me enough to gain my confidence.

Did he do anything in the pre-season?

I'm officially worried about Greg Little's sleeper status. Weeden is indeed a 29 year old rookie, and it shows

Your timing is great. I was reading a bunch of camp reports and he is definitely giving it a strong showing. The depth chart has some marginal players ahead of him, but nothing that can't be cleared if he continues to produce. The vets in front of him are Cribbs and Mass. Little flashed as a rookie but still has a ways to go and Gordon is equally unproven. Benjamin is a great dynasty stash if you are looking for that one player that you don't mind tying up a spot for wait and see. His speed is just such an amazing asset. Think Jacoby Ford a couple of years ago. Of course, Jacoby Ford this year is buried behind DHB and Moore. Norwood made some noise last year in camp but that faded. There is a good chance the same will happen with Benjamin, but that speed is what Shurmur wants/needs. He has it with Cribbs, but Cribbs is not a good enough of a receiver. The Steelers have the field stretcher with Wallace and the Ravens have it with Smith. Players like that really stretch the field and open things up in the passing game. That speed will get him on the field.

Your timing is great. I was reading a bunch of camp reports and he is definitely giving it a strong showing. The depth chart has some marginal players ahead of him, but nothing that can't be cleared if he continues to produce. The vets in front of him are Cribbs and Mass. Little flashed as a rookie but still has a ways to go and Gordon is equally unproven. Benjamin is a great dynasty stash if you are looking for that one player that you don't mind tying up a spot for wait and see. His speed is just such an amazing asset. Think Jacoby Ford a couple of years ago. Of course, Jacoby Ford this year is buried behind DHB and Moore. Norwood made some noise last year in camp but that faded. There is a good chance the same will happen with Benjamin, but that speed is what Shurmur wants/needs. He has it with Cribbs, but Cribbs is not a good enough of a receiver. The Steelers have the field stretcher with Wallace and the Ravens have it with Smith. Players like that really stretch the field and open things up in the passing game. That speed will get him on the field.
I don't see how they can't play him and if he's on the field he will produce.You may have heard camp reports and brushed them off.

Here are the first reports from an exhibition game.

My link

>>Travis Benjamin verified what we have seen of him throughout offseason workouts and training camp. He simply makes big things happen whenever he touches the ball as a receiver and a returner. He did an excellent job of getting off the line and getting open. He ran precise routes and showed good concentration to make the catch. Benjamin’s ability to stretch the defense figures to be a major game-changing element for the offense.
My link
Benny and his jets: The most impressive Browns debut belonged to receiver Travis Benjamin. The diminutive speedster caught a 34-yard from pass from Weeden on the Browns' first possession. He finished the night with two catches for 46 yards.

Benjamin also handled kickoff return duties as special teams ace Josh Cribbs dressed for the game, but did not play. The versatile University of Miami product had two returns, averaging 27 yards.

Travis looked in this game like he’s looked in practice,” Shurmur said. “I think that’s an encouraging thing because he’s been able to bring it to the game. He looked fast on the returns and he caught the ball well and caught it with his hands.”
I imagine we'll something similiar once the regular season begins.

Cribbs is not ahead of him. Either Gordon and Little are the obstacles he has to overcome. Mass is already out with another concussion

Cribbs is not ahead of him. Either Gordon and Little are the obstacles he has to overcome. Mass is already out with another concussion
My point exactly. :thumbup:

nice asset for the team, but i doubt he becomes much of a fantasy contributor.

probably more of a bye week fill in type guy if anything.

Right, Cribbs is going to go back to being mostly a special teamer. MoMass is denying he has a concussion, but the team says he does which would be his 3rd.

nice asset for the team, but i doubt he becomes much of a fantasy contributor.

probably more of a bye week fill in type guy if anything.
You could be talking about any of their WR's. Let's see how this plays out.

Rotoworld:

The Browns are expected to start Travis Benjamin at X receiver during Josh Gordon's two-game suspension.
Greg Little is the Z receiver, and Davone Bess plays in the slot. Benjamin possesses sub-4.4 jets and big-play ability, averaging 16.6 yards on 18 receptions as a rookie. He's still unlikely to be a fantasy-viable early-season producer. We wouldn't be surprised if TE Jordan Cameron emerged as Cleveland's leading pass catcher in the first two games, building momentum for a breakout year.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

I forgot all about this thread.

Benjamin did have a fine preseason but the Browns were working in soo many rookies on both sides of the ball that Benjamin sorta got lost in the shuffle especially once Josh Gordon arrived on the scene and then Greg Little started to step-up later in the season.

Cleveland Browns WR Travis Benjamin

ht. 5'10 wt. 172 lbs, age 23

complete 2012 statistics

REC - 18 YDS 298 TDs 2

kick returns - 3 YDS - 75

punt returns - 3 YDS - 149 TDs - I

His production shot up the last three games. Benjamin played in 14 gmaes.

First 11 games he had:

REC - 10

YDS - 142

TDs - 1

Last three games he had:

REC - 8

YDS - 156

TDs - 1

Now that Josh Cribbs is gone Benjamin is the primary suspect to take over return duties but Josh Gordon's suspension opens the door for him to get a lot of work the first two games of the season. Also the Norv Turner vertical-stretch offense could open up some deep-ball opportunities since Benjamin is the fastest guy on the team and one of the fastest players in the entire league.

I don't see how Norv Turner could resist tapping into that sort of potential.

As I said when I first opened this thread last year, I wouldn't ever imagine that I would ever open a thread on Travis Benjamin for because I thought he was a wasted pick last year when he was selected but he made the team and he should be in line for more action this year but I don't feel he is a guy who will turn into a full-time starter but he could have a few eye-popping plays/games along the way.

Any player with his sort of speed is fun to watch but his frame is still slight and he probably will be used judiciously by coaches in order to keep him healthy for the return game which he appears to have taken over. My thoughts have down-shifted into viewing him as an excitng speed-guy who will have some big games to get people excited but I think its a game of Three Card Monty trying to guess when he'll have a big game but he might have more opportunities the first two games depending on how things shape up in camp and preseason.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot all about this thread.

Benjamin did have a fine preseason but the Browns were working in soo many rookies on both sides of the ball that Benjamin sorta got lost in the shuffle especially once Josh Gordon arrived on the scene and then Greg Little started to step-up later in the season.

Cleveland Browns WR Travis Benjamin

ht. 5'10 wt. 172 lbs, age 23

complete 2012 statistics

REC - 18 YDS 298 TDs 2

kick returns - 3 YDS - 75

punt returns - 3 YDS - 149 TDs - I

His production shot up the last three games. Benjamin played in 14 gmaes.

First 11 games he had:

REC - 10

YDS - 142

TDs - 1

Last three games he had:

REC - 8

YDS - 156

TDs - 1

Now that Josh Cribbs is gone Benjamin is the primary suspect to take over return duties but Josh Gordon's suspension opens the door for him to get a lot of work the first two games of the season. Also the Norv Turner vertical-stretch offense could open up some deep-ball opportunities since Benjamin is the fastest guy on the team and one of the fastest players in the entire league.

I don't see how Norv Turner could resist tapping into that sort of potential.

As I said when I first opened this thread last year, I wouldn't ever imagine that I would ever open a thread on Travis Benjamin for because I thought he was a wasted pick last year when he was selected but he made the team and he should be in line for more action this year but I don't feel he is a guy who will turn into a full-time starter but he could have a few eye-popping plays/games along the way.

Any player with his sort of speed is fun to watch but his frame is still slight and he probably will be used judiciously by coaches in order to keep him healthy for the return game which he appears to have taken over. My thoughts have down-shifted into viewing him as an excitng speed-guy who will have some big games to get people excited but I think its a game of Three Card Monty trying to guess when he'll have a big game but he might have more opportunities the first two games depending on how things shape up in camp and preseason.
Good post. He's the type of WR that will have 3-5 exciting homeruns every season but I don't ever see him consistantly dominating FF or being a focal point for your offense. He's a dime a dozen thin/speed gimmick WR. I still think he's a joke of a 4th round pick.

Rotoworld:

Browns WR Travis Benjamin says he's "got the punt-return job."
Josh Cribbs, who was Cleveland's punt returner since 2007, is now in Oakland. Enter Benjamin, a 175-pounder with 4.32 wheels. Last year, Benjamin returned just three punts, but broke one off for a 93-yard touchdown. He'll also get wideout snaps at the "X" position during Josh Gordon's two-game suspension.

Source: clevelandbrowns.com

Rotoworld:

Browns placed WR/PR Travis Benjamin on injured reserve with a torn right ACL, ending his season.
Benjamin was having a solid year as a return man, with his 11.7 yards per punt coming in fifth in the NFL. A one-dimensional burner at 5-foot-10, 172 pounds, Benjamin can ill afford any lost explosion. Provided he's healthy, the 2012 fourth-rounder will be back to compete for a roster spot next summer.

A 54 yd TD in Week 1, then in Week 2 a 50 yd TD, a 60 yd TD and a 78 yd PR for TD.

:shock:

Guy's on my bench as a "project" and has 53 pts in 2 weeks.

Oh my.

I had only opened two threads on players.

The first was RB DeMarco Murray before he blew up and this one on Travis that I had forgotten about.

Here is what I think is a unique update.

----------------------

Football Perspective@fbgchase 17m17 minutes ago

In the last 3 seasons, just one player (Jordy Nelson, 2014) had more than 4 TDs of 50+ yards in a season. Travis Benjamin already has four.

----------------------

The first bombs against the Jets and the first one against the Titans were probably designed but the punt return and the long bomb in the fourth quarter against the Titans were improvised.

Johnny Manziel was not even supposed to roll to the left and WR Travis Benjamin was not supposed to rotate to that side of the field. Travis looked back and saw Johnny's eyes and drifted and Johnny knows that if Travis is even with a DB he's leaving so this improvisation combo is something that 'can' carry forward.

This isn't Johnny Manziel throwing up a jump ball to the 6'5 Mike Evans where those completions were usually come-back jump balls where Evans had to high point an aggressive catch. This is different where Manziel is scrambling and Travis is adjusting on the fly where Johnny sees Travis and is able to scramble coming forward towards the LOS and is calculating the throw and since he's coming forward he gets extra sauce on the ball because the throws are really spot-on. Real good deep ball accuracy on these throws.

This is something that 'can' carry forward. The caveat is whether or not Manziel continues as the starter and Benjamin hasn't packed on tons of muscle and its a long season so he has to show durability because early in his career he did get dinged and would disappear. Right now this Manziel/Benjamin combo is clicking. Its real.

I like him as a bye week kinda guy, but the volume just isn't there...perhaps the top boom/bust guy in the league.

I like him as a bye week kinda guy, but the volume just isn't there...perhaps the top boom/bust guy in the league.
This is different, this is a unique situation for a few reasons:

- Travis Benjamin runs a legit 4.2/4.3 forty and has the ability to make receptions going away from the DB in-stride

Travis always had the speed and the ability to make receptions going away but now he's got the QB to make things happen and they are developing chemistry.

- Johnny Manziel's ability to scramble, i.e., his improvisational ability to buy time and make something happen with his WRs

Johnny was viewed as a boom-bust project for many on-field questions and off-field issues but the upside was/is his improvisational ability. In college his chemistry with WR Mike Evans was unique but different and I explained above. Those were usually come-back throws and high-point strength-positional receptions on Evans part. This is Johnny doing the same scrambling but the throws by Manziel are timing throws going away from the DB.

- Browns new OC John DeFilippo who stated when he was hired that he was going to take shots down the field at least once per quarter to keep the defense honest.

http://profootballspot.com/_/nfl/afc-north/cleveland-browns/browns-offense-to-feature-simple-changes-r7701

Browns offensive coordinator John DeFilippo

​The Zone Running Game Will Stay The Same In order to succeed at a new organization as a coach, it is important to organize your offense around your team’s strengths. DeFilippo made it quite clear that this was his full intention by keeping the zone running that the Browns were so successful at last year. He plans on keeping a majority of those runs between the tackles, bringing a downhill running feel to the team. In the interview DeFilippo said, "We have a fantastic offensive line. And when you can run the football – I’ll tell our guys this from Day 1 – everything else falls into place. Your play-action game falls into place. Then you can take shots down the field."

Do What Guys Do Best in The Passing Game

Similar to the running game, Flip wants to put his playmakers at the wide receiver position in the best spots to succeed. He plans on throwing the home run ball at least once a quarter to soften the defense. DeFilippo feels that using a group of receivers with diverse abilities will make it harder on defenders to cover all of the different types of players. Putting Crowell and West in motion might become a more familiar sight for fans watching games in 2015. During the interview Flip made it clear that he wants to keep the opposing defenses guessing throughout the game.
What DeFilippo's plan is to take deep shots, those are the designed deep throws. What Johnny did with Travis late in the game was completely improvised. It was not the designed play/call.

- "Certainly wasn't the way the play was designed,'' said coach Mike Pettine. "I think Flip (offensive coordinator John DeFilippo) had the best line of the day on the headset after he rolled out of it, ended up throwing backwards across the field, scored the touchdown. He just says real calmly while everybody was cheering, he said 'coaching is overrated.'

- Said Manziel: "What it comes down to we just gotta make a play and I think it was a great job by Travis, not only that play but just staying alive and making plays. He took the middle of the field and the safety kind of bit down to stop the run and throw it over the top, kind of just throw it high enough where Trav can run around it and to seal the game off like that was awesome."

The call was supposed to a short-safe play to the opposite side of the field but Manziel was under pressure and rolled away from Orakpo and bought time hoping someone would come open. That guy was Benjamin.

We may have a Justin Forsett situation on our hands here. A name no one likes because he's been average his whole career...but a guy who could put up legitimate good numbers.

I'd be super scared to start him, because he's obviously so TD dependent. But I'll be putting in waiver claims just in case.

Jeez was hoping for more opinions than this. Does this guy have some upside in a dynasty/keeper format? Or is he likely a flash in the pan?

Jeez was hoping for more opinions than this. Does this guy have some upside in a dynasty/keeper format? Or is he likely a flash in the pan?
I'm kind of with you on this - I was hoping someone could shed some light to push me one way or the other.

It's so hard to tell so far. I mean, last game Manziel only completed 8 passes - Benjamin caught 3 of them. Manziel threw the ball only 15 times - Benjamin was targeted for 4 of those. I watched the game, and the one pass Benjamin caught that wasn't a TD was just a short curl route - Manziel actually threw it late but the DB was so afraid of Benjamin's speed that he was playing almost 10 yards off of him.

He looks like he runs tight routes - his cuts are quick. I think if the Browns actually manage to pass more, then Benjamin could be more. He caught all three of his targets in Week 1, as well.

He's got decent pedigree - He's a big college guy and was drafted in the earlier rounds (Miami/4th round) and ran a 4.3 40. He's small, though, and it's hard to get people to buy in on a small WR.

Admittedly there aren't a lot of small, stud WRs, but they have to prove themselves 10 times over before we go all in. People who actually got to see TY every week were beating the drum furiously about how good he was, and it still took forever before fantasy people jumped on board. Hilton had Luck, though.

After watching most of his snaps, and writing all this, I still don't know what the hell to think. I need to see how Benjamin reacts when he's roughed up at the LoS. If he becomes an every game threat, he's going to get teams game-planning for him more, and he's going to get the better DBs on him. I'm hoping that happens this coming week (I think it will). I want to see how he deals with more traffic coming his way.

Unless someone brings something new up, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I've got him on my bench in a Keeper league, and I'm holding him there. If you don't have him, I'd grab him and give it a few weeks. Stranger things have happened.

Picked him up early Sunday and tempted to play my leagues FF WR1 this week. Obviously will be chasing week 2 points all season but seems like the kind of guy you just need to plug into flex every week and he'll win you some games.

A 54 yd TD in Week 1, then in Week 2 a 50 yd TD, a 60 yd TD and a 78 yd PR for TD.

I'd hate to live in your house if you've had a project sitting around for 4 years (assuming if you call him a project, then you've had him a while, otherwise, you'd say "took a flier").

Anyway, every year always has some firework that pops into the sky and burns bright but by week 10 they are long forgotten. He's a guy that has been in the league long enough to be called a journeyman at this point and he played a team that played terribly on Sunday. Maybe if he was a new Packer or Eagle or some team where we could say "all this guy needed was a decent QB,etc" so my guess on this is that the only way he remains relevant is if the Browns QBs show that THEY are the real deal and the coaches show us that they have a plan and are willing to stick to it.

I'd hate to live in your house if you've had a project sitting around for 4 years (assuming if you call him a project, then you've had him a while, otherwise, you'd say "took a flier").

Anyway, every year always has some firework that pops into the sky and burns bright but by week 10 they are long forgotten. He's a guy that has been in the league long enough to be called a journeyman at this point and he played a team that played terribly on Sunday. Maybe if he was a new Packer or Eagle or some team where we could say "all this guy needed was a decent QB,etc" so my guess on this is that the only way he remains relevant is if the Browns QBs show that THEY are the real deal and the coaches show us that they have a plan and are willing to stick to it.
Wait, so you can't pick up a guy and label him a "project" this year who you think might perform within a few years in a Dynasty League? :confused:

Anyway, picked him up last year. And I wasn't commenting on whether he's a real deal or not, it was just strange to look at that spot on the bench and see 50+ points total. But I have a few guys I picked up this year that I'd call projects as well, meaning I don't think they'll show anything for a year or two. I wouldn't call them "fliers". Either way...

I do have projects in my house that have been 'worked on' for much longer. Which I'm reminded of more than I care to be. Someday I'll finish the basement. Maybe.

He's no bigger/smaller than TY Hilton or DeSean Jackson, and each of them have been consistent fantasy contributors. You could even argue (crazy to say) that he is faster than them.

DeSean Jackson is likely his ceiling, and DeSean has proven year after year that you can be fantasy relevant without high volume if you can consistently hit homeruns. He has only caught more than 62 balls once in his career, yet has four 1,000 yard seasons and two others of 900+.

http://www.nfl.com/player/deseanjackson/1581/careerstats

There are few other WRs available on waiver wires with higher upside, so I'm stashing and will continue to watch this play out as bye weeks and (unfortunately) inevitable injuries approach. Sign me up for his upside over another team's second or third WR who "might see" an average of 6 (pedestrian) targets per week.

they've been raving about him all camp.

that said, i never picked him up, even after week one.

put a claim in on him this week, even though i doubt i'll start him. better for him to blow up on my bench than when i'm playing against him.

we have deep benches in my leagues.

Is there any indication McCown can throw the home run ball? Manziel played that game to perfection with the Aggies, that's one thing he can do.

Is there any indication McCown can throw the home run ball? Manziel played that game to perfection with the Aggies, that's one thing he can do.
According to this article, McCown we amongst the most willing, and most successful deep ball throwers last season.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/05/29/qbs-in-focus-deep-passing-2/

He had two huge WRs last year and no burner, this year he lacking size at the WR position but absolutely has the burner. Let's hope his willingness is still there because if he can heave it, Benjamin has proven he can get under it.

You know how to use the terms "project" and "flier".... but I'd hate to live in your house if you call guys that have been with the same team their whole career "journeymen".

.Daryl Ruiter@RuiterWrongFAN 12m12 minutes ago

"We'll see how teams choose to defend him and react to it" - Pettine on Travis Benjamin being a marked man for defenses now

http://www.scout.com/nfl/browns/story/1590628-can-the-browns-keep-completing-the-deep-pass

Can the Cleveland Browns Keep Winning by Throwing the Deep Pass?​

Travis Benjamin is the Browns’ offense through two games. He accounts for four of the teams’ five touchdowns. The only other Cleveland touchdown was Isaiah Crowell’s 11-yard run against the Titans on Sunday.

Three of Benjamin’s scores have come via the home run ball. (Please pardon the mixed sports metaphors.) Against the Jets, Benjamin scored on a 54-yard pass from Johnny Manziel, and then in game two against the Titans he caught touchdown passes of 50 and 60 yards.

For the season, Benjamin has 6 catches for 204 yards, an average of 34 yards per catch.

The rest of the team has 20 receptions for 199 yards, no touchdowns and an average of 10 yards per catch rounded up.

This got me wondering- can an offense really be built around the home run ball? Is it sustainable?

The former Jr. High coach in me says no. Teams may start to game plan for Benjamin and the deep ball more, perhaps cheating a safety to his side. If the Browns don’t have another weapon, it seems unlikely that Benjamin will be able to duplicate this early season success.

But what do the numbers say? How many pass plays of 50+ yards do the Browns have in a season? How about more prolific offenses? ...
Go to the link for the rest of the article that shows how rare deep ball production is.

Bloom's twitter with many Browns WR Travis Benjamin tweets today:

------------------

,Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom 3h3 hours ago

If someone in your dynasty league is willing to trade Travis Benjamin for a 3rd, indulge them. He has a special 5th gear & chemistry w JFF

. Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom 3h3 hours ago

Last player to have 4 50+ yard TDs in the first two games was Jim Brown in 1963. You don't luck into that kind of start. Real talent there

Benjamin has that OH S&%T 5th gear that young Mike Wallace had. You can scheme around that in a passing game. screens/double moves/PA bombs

Counting on CLE to maximize efficient use of Benjamin is ehh, but in dynasty leagues, i'll be happy to stash him for cheap just in case

Trading Benjamin for anything below an early-mid 2nd is not advisable. Has already displayed the kind of talent we HOPE to find with picks

. Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom 2h2 hours ago

Benjamin is still only a bench stash in redraft. But when Manziel takes back over we'll prioritize him on WW...

So wait, people The Browns are just now realizing this guy is fast?
Fixed, and the answer is: Yes - It's the Browns.
:lmao: OK, carry on.
On a serious note, though, I'm sitting here being lazy, and just brought up all of Benjamin's bombs on Game Rewind. The guy can burn, and it's not just the speed - I don't think I've see anyone in a long time go from what the DB thinks is "full speed" to "he's leaving me" that quick. And he tracks the ball in the air really well.

I'm not saying he's anything more than a boom/bust guy. I haven't seen the Browns pass enough or Benjamin catch in traffic - but he looks REALLY good when the ball's in the air. Fantastic at estimating the trajectory of the ball and adjusting his speed and route to match. Other than the deep ball, though... who knows?

I don't have to start him (have Julio, AJ Green, and Larry Fitz), but if I did have to (bye week, injury, etc) it's getting to the point that i'd be starting him with (a high level of) confidence as well.

Users who are viewing this thread