What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

>>>> Owning McFadden <<<< (3 Viewers)

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Darren McFadden is expected to start Sunday's game against the Dolphins ahead of Maurice Jones-Drew.

MJD (hand) is ready to go, but DMC keeps the gig because he's had more practice time. It doesn't mean he'll see volume. McFadden is averaging just 3.26 YPC on the season and the Raiders ideally want to use him as an outside complement to Jones-Drew, whom they view as a superior inside runner. Latavius Murray will also be sprinkled in. This Raiders backfield is for the extremely desperate only.

Related: Maurice Jones-Drew

Source: ESPN.com

Sep 26 - 7:18 PM
so color me DESPERATE - my choice for RB2 is one of the Raiders or Branden Oliver in San Diego and am strongly leaning towards the latter...
Good call...unless you like McFaddens awesome 3 yards per carry average.

Surprised he hasn't been injured yet.
He played in 13 games in 2010, for what that is worth (probably not that much).
Thanks dude. Seriously, that gave me a good belly laugh!I was lucky and had him that season. He was incredible. But people have been chasing that McFadden ever since, and he's long gone. And even as great (and supposedly healthy) he was in 2010 - he still missed almost 20% of the season.

Thanks dude. Seriously, that gave me a good belly laugh!I was lucky and had him that season. He was incredible. But people have been chasing that McFadden ever since, and he's long gone. And even as great (and supposedly healthy) he was in 2010 - he still missed almost 20% of the season.
My point was in response to people who say he is always injured and has never stayed healthy. That 13 games in 2010 was enough for me to win two league championships (one in a league with EBF). I'll take numbers like he had (2nd in points scored per game in PPR leagues only behind Foster) anytime for 13 games played. The conventional wisdom also said that Fred Taylor couldn't stay healthy until he did and they were silent from that point on.

Last edited by a moderator:
My point was is response to people who say he is always injured and has never stayed healthy. That 13 games in 2010 was enough for me to win two league championships (one in a league with EBF). I'll take numbers like he had (2nd in points scored per game in PPR leagues only behind Foster) anytime for 13 games played. The conventional wisdom also said that Fred Taylor couldn't stay healthy until he did and they were silent from that point on.
I know what you mean. I think I won a championship that year as well, due in large part to what he did. Would love to see him find health because he's an awesome talent.

Suprised noone has been discussing McFadden. Changing of the guard with Sporano and he had a pretty decent game last week. Value going forward?

Is there any 2010 DMC left? I admittedly haven't been able to watch any Raiders games this season so I don't know if he still has 'it' or how far he has truly regressed since his prime.

Suprised noone has been discussing McFadden. Changing of the guard with Sporano and he had a pretty decent game last week. Value going forward?

Is there any 2010 DMC left? I admittedly haven't been able to watch any Raiders games this season so I don't know if he still has 'it' or how far he has truly regressed since his prime.
He surprisingly looks ok. Now he has a brutal match up this week against Arizona who are one of the top 3 teams in the league vs the run, but you might be able to start him against some match ups.

He surprisingly looks ok. Now he has a brutal match up this week against Arizona who are one of the top 3 teams in the league vs the run, but you might be able to start him against some match ups.
So, you see him as a matchup-dependent FLEX going forward?

So, you see him as a matchup-dependent FLEX going forward?
Yes I definitely do. He is ahead of MJD and his head coach loves to run the ball.

Can anyone speak to how he has looked as far as the "eye test" in games this year? He's 27 years old so he should theoretically still have some gas in the tank. Does he still have any of the speed/vision that made him so deadly in 2010, or is he a shell of his former self? Also, has OAK been using a zone or power run scheme this season? IIRC in the past he has excelled in the power but flopped in the zone, so I'm curious.

If he still has it then I would think he has some potential to become a fringe RB2 as the season goes on with Sporano in charge and Carr continuing to develop to the point that defenses will respect the passing game and open things up for the run. Also, if the defense could miraculously improve to the point that Oakland isn't playing catch up the entire game it would create a pretty favorable situation.

I watched his last game on game rewind and he looked pretty good. Ran with authority and was very decisive. His avg was pretty good this game. They also split him out wide and bombed one to him. He just missed it. On Holmes last TD, it was his runs that got them down to the 5. They playactioned to him on the next play. Could be a good rb2 or flex.

Rotoworld:

Darren McFadden rushed for 48 yards and a touchdown on 14 carries and caught four passes for seven yards in the Raiders' Week 7 loss to Arizona.

Continuing to operate as Oakland's clear-feature back ahead of Maurice Jones-Drew, McFadden handled the 18 touches to MJD's three. Latavius Murray remained uninvolved. McFadden's light usage in the passing game continues to perplex -- it's one of his strengths -- but he's getting enough work on a weekly basis for flex consideration. DMC will ascend to RB2/flex value in Week 8 against a Browns defense that coughed up Denard Robinson's career day in Week 7.

Oct 19 - 8:15 PM

Rotoworld:

Darren McFadden gained 59 yards on 12 carries and caught four passes for 26 yards in the Raiders' Week 8 loss to Cleveland.

McFadden gave Oakland a chain-moving element whenever in the game, though the Raiders inexplicably handed Maurice Jones-Drew six carries, which didn't work at all. DMC also came through with several critical catches to gain first downs. Unfortunately, DMC lost a late third-quarter fumble on a great play by Browns SS Donte Whitner, who looked like he was shot out of a cannon to pop the ball loose. McFadden will be just an RB3 when the Raiders take on Seattle's stout run defense in Week 9.

Oct 26 - 7:40 PM

Rotoworld:

Darren McFadden gained 59 yards on 12 carries and caught four passes for 26 yards in the Raiders' Week 8 loss to Cleveland.

McFadden gave Oakland a chain-moving element whenever in the game, though the Raiders inexplicably handed Maurice Jones-Drew six carries, which didn't work at all. DMC also came through with several critical catches to gain first downs. Unfortunately, DMC lost a late third-quarter fumble on a great play by Browns SS Donte Whitner, who looked like he was shot out of a cannon to pop the ball loose. McFadden will be just an RB3 when the Raiders take on Seattle's stout run defense in Week 9.

Oct 26 - 7:40 PM
Rotoworld cracks me up

Seattle has a stout run defense? the were just gashed by Johnathan friggin' Stewart.. Tre Mason burned them last week..

I was optimistic that DMC would have a better game than he did against the Browns' weak run defense that was scortched just a week ago by Shoelace running behind a subpar line. MJD looked to be in the backfield more than I would have liked and the Raiders were within striking distance for the vast majority of the game (no reason not to run more than they did). All of this combined doesn't exactly inspire confidence going forward.

As for how he's running generally, I only saw a couple plays including the one where he fumbled. Despite the outcome, he looked quick and appeared to have good vision. I just feel like he still has potential but for whatever reason the numbers aren't there this season. It seems the days where he produces so long as he stays healthy are behind us.

Rotoworld:

Cowboys agreed to terms with RB Darren McFadden, formerly of the Raiders, on a two-year contract.
McFadden ran into brick walls last year in Oakland, averaging 3.4 yards per carry. The silver lining is that he stayed healthy for the first time in his career. Not durable or effective enough to carry a backfield and going on age 28, McFadden is likely being brought in to compete for snaps. Look for the Cowboys to add more backs as they attempt to replace DeMarco Murray.

Related: Raiders

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 13 - 10:37 AM

Rotoworld:

The Cowboys reportedly targeted Darren McFadden as a "home-run hitting backup."

Yahoo's Charles Robinson says Dallas envisions McFadden playing "second fiddle" to a starting back. The Cowboys will likely find that starter in the draft. McFadden may have been a "home-run hitter" coming out of Arkansas in 2008, but he certainly no longer is going on age 28. McFadden has averaged below 3.5 YPC in three straight years. His receiving skills have also diminished.

Source: Charles Robinson on

Twitter Mar 13 - 12:55 PM

jones is arrogant enough to actually ride out mcfadden this year and not go rb too early in the draft.

It may be second fiddle to Ryan Williams. I tried to acquire both in a startup, but I got too cute and waited too long for Williams.

jones is arrogant enough to actually ride out mcfadden this year and not go rb too early in the draft.
Well mcfadden went to arkansas. We know thats huge for jerrrah. And the cowboy defense isnt that good. I still think he at least add a depth player at rb
Boys are still after a RB. They have had rumors about a couple and then signed McFadden, recently though they've seemed to have every top runner visit as draft prep.

The Cowboys are smart enough to not rely on just Darren McFadden going into next season. Especially after how important a strong run game was to their success. I wouldn't be surprised if they went early but I think they'll go BPA at any rate.

I traded for McFadden in my dynasty simply because of how often Running Backs get banged up. Dallas' Offensive Line is very good and if by some chance McFadden gets a full-load at any point due to injury or whatever, there's mondo fantasy points to be had.

I'd like to see them land Duke Johnson in the later rounds. I don't think this Offense necessarily needs a bruiser but a guy who is going to consistently be there. Even David Johnson would be a flashy but unspectacular pick.

What did McFadden cost?
1.15 million. Essentially the league minimum.

I wouldn't put much stock in his comments. I'd love to make fun of Jerry, and say he was gonna command Garrett to give the Razorback 20 carries, and ha ha ha, but I don't really think things are like that in Dallas. The best back will play, and I don't think it'll be DMC.

McFadden's problem is his center of gravity, and it's a fatal flaw. He's all leg, and has below average change of direction skills, which is why there are so few decent 6'3" cornerbacks. Most shorter players have an easier time changing direction. He's a straight line runner, but straight line runners usually bull through the muck to get the tough yards. McFadden is so high-waisted, the slightest bump sends him over like a bowling pin. There are countless runs by McFadden where you say, "OH! If that one guy on the ground hadn't stuck out a hand and tripped him up, he woulda been gone!" Other backs would have kept their feet, and gotten a positive gain. I don't think the Raiders line suddenly blocked better when Rashad Jennings played in 2013, or when Latavius Murray played in 2014.

He's a tough guy, and isn't afraid to knock heads, but it's not his game. He's at his best on off tackle stuff, swing passes, screens. Get him in some space, away from the trash, and hope he can turn on the jets.

Sorry, meant that for Eminence and what he gave up for Mcfadden. Curious what offers are out there.

good post though man.

What did McFadden cost?
1.15 million. Essentially the league minimum.

I wouldn't put much stock in his comments. I'd love to make fun of Jerry, and say he was gonna command Garrett to give the Razorback 20 carries, and ha ha ha, but I don't really think things are like that in Dallas. The best back will play, and I don't think it'll be DMC.

McFadden's problem is his center of gravity, and it's a fatal flaw. He's all leg, and has below average change of direction skills, which is why there are so few decent 6'3" cornerbacks. Most shorter players have an easier time changing direction. He's a straight line runner, but straight line runners usually bull through the muck to get the tough yards. McFadden is so high-waisted, the slightest bump sends him over like a bowling pin. There are countless runs by McFadden where you say, "OH! If that one guy on the ground hadn't stuck out a hand and tripped him up, he woulda been gone!" Other backs would have kept their feet, and gotten a positive gain. I don't think the Raiders line suddenly blocked better when Rashad Jennings played in 2013, or when Latavius Murray played in 2014.

He's a tough guy, and isn't afraid to knock heads, but it's not his game. He's at his best on off tackle stuff, swing passes, screens. Get him in some space, away from the trash, and hope he can turn on the jets.
Wish he would have had the OL he does now when he was younger.

The Cowboys are smart enough to not rely on just Darren McFadden going into next season. Especially after how important a strong run game was to their success. I wouldn't be surprised if they went early but I think they'll go BPA at any rate.

I traded for McFadden in my dynasty simply because of how often Running Backs get banged up. Dallas' Offensive Line is very good and if by some chance McFadden gets a full-load at any point due to injury or whatever, there's mondo fantasy points to be had.

I'd like to see them land Duke Johnson in the later rounds. I don't think this Offense necessarily needs a bruiser but a guy who is going to consistently be there. Even David Johnson would be a flashy but unspectacular pick.
Duke Johnson is getting a lot of love here. I wonder how he'll fare in the draft.

The last so many years, if it's close between a couple players, Jerry seems to go with an Oklahoma guy. As such I think Gordon will be the favorite til he's drafted by another team.

Guess-

Since Oklahomans consider Dallas their pro team and OU definitely produces some solid talent(OK St and Tulsa some too) it's probably just good business.

Cowboys high on RBs Darren McFadden, Ryan Williams

Excerpts:

Jones specifically referenced Darren McFadden and former Cardinals tailback Ryan Williams as reasons for optimism.

"We really think Darren's in the best shape of his career," Jones said. "He looks great out there. We really think that you put him behind our offensive line and he has some luck and stays healthy, we might really have something here."

Jones' comments echo those of owner Jerry Jones, who opined in late March that McFadden still has "the kinds of skills" that made him the No. 4 overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.
@InsideNFLMedia

.@MoveTheSticks on DAL OLine: "Darren McFadden, if he can stay healthy he’s going to see creases &amp; holes he's never seen in his NFL career."
We expressed similar sentiments on Thursday's edition of the Around The NFL Podcast, which featured a breakdown of each NFC team's outlook following last week's draft.

Rotoworld:

Cowboys RBs coach Gary Brown says the team is giving Darren McFadden an opportunity to prove he isn't "the bust that people are talking about."

"I like what I see," Brown said. "He (has) tremendous burst, tremendous speed. I can’t wait to see him in pads." We don't doubt that DMC still looks good in pad-less practices, but his on-field film has been in a years-long downward spiral. The odds are against McFadden making a meaningful contribution this season.

Source: ESPN Dallas
Jun 1 - 2:24 PM

Rotoworld:

Darren McFadden - RB - Cowboys

Darren McFadden is sitting out Cowboys OTA practices with a hamstring strain.

Ryan Williams also missed Wednesday's session with a sore knee. Joseph Randle is handling first-team reps. The severity of McFadden's injury is unknown, but this will surely generate eyerolls in the fantasy community. Williams has been in and out of practice due to swelling in his surgically repaired knee.

Related: Ryan Williams, Joseph Randle

Source: ESPN Dallas

Jun 3 - 10:54 PM

VarsityBlues123 said:
DocHolliday said:
DMC is ready to carry the load.
The panic over injuries in June is always funny. It must be the thing to do around here.
Keep up. It is not panic over injuries in June. The comment was made since DMC is always injured. DMC will spend much of his time with the 'Boys standing on sidelines and spending lots of quality time with the trainers.

I normally don't care about minor injuries this early but when it comes to DMC I'm concerned. This is a terrible pattern for him. I will not draft him any any mocks or leagues this year.

To say this injury is not a big deal is like saying Josh Gordon on the cover of High Times is not a big deal. How long do we nod our heads to a skipping record?

Users who are viewing this thread