What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

>>>> Owning McFadden <<<< (2 Viewers)

This guy is very, very frustrating. Don't even feel like typing what just happened.
What happened? Not getting the game here.
Long 37-yard screen pass to the RB......... Goodson, not McFadden.Then McFadden runs it down to the 1 on 1st down.

2nd down from the 1... incomplete pass.

3rd down from the 1... McFadden off left tackle... ZERO blocking for him. Loss of 1.

He doesn't look awful but I expected more on this fast track.

Traded DMC for Ridley over his bye week, and that was looking great until Ridley's fumble late in the Denver game. Still might work out so long as Ridley stays out of the doghouse. Although I'm hoping I got some value in this deal, I think it illustrates one of the advantages DMC has. So long as he's healthy, he WILL get the vast majority of carries in Oakland. Whereas Ridley or similar backs - although outproducing DMC - they just don't have the same job security. I think that makes a pretty good case to trade FOR McFadden - he's got talent, and job security... if he ever pulls it together. Holding him in at least 2 other leagues to hedge against him pulling it together. (The rest of the deal was that I gave up Dez for Dem. Thomas - so I was happy to pull the trigger, but it's easier to evaluate by just considering the RBs. The above poster who traded SJax AND Reggie Wayne... well, that must have been before Wayne's blow up. Ouch.)
Thats funny. I traded Ridley for DMC before their bye week. Felt that Ridley had reached his peak with that situation only getting more crowded and DMC has a great schedule coming up, plus a bye week for the coaches to figure out what went wrong. Hopefully I'm right.
Haha, maybe it was you I traded him to? In any case, I'm feeling better about dealing him. Although he's got over 100 total yards now, Goodson is a bigger part of the offense than I was expecting (now the clear handcuff IMO), and the Raiders don't look like they can rush the ball in the red zone, meaning DMC is overly reliant on breaking long runs to get a TD. I don't think going forward DMC is going to carry blue-chip trade value that he might have previously. Still a hold if you haven't already dealt him IMO. Also, pick up Goodson.ETA - I spoke too soon! McFadden punches it in from the 2 yard line to give him a pretty nice game. However, also heard that the Raiders have only 2 rushing TDs on the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is, in PPR leagues, Mcfadden has had pretty good games in 3 out of 5 weeks. The problem is that I just don't see a guy that I can trust at this point, especially since they don't see to be relying on him too much in the passing game anymore. Plus, Goodson is looking much better, and I think we're headed toward a RBBC situation.

It is defintely the scheme. And coaching/play calling. I watched the whole game and with just a few exceptions, he just never had any room and was always gaining 2 maybe 3 yards. And hard fought. I kept yelling, throw his a screen or a ball in the flat or even a toss into space. Just in between the tackles, all day long.

It is defintely the scheme. And coaching/play calling. I watched the whole game and with just a few exceptions, he just never had any room and was always gaining 2 maybe 3 yards. And hard fought. I kept yelling, throw his a screen or a ball in the flat or even a toss into space. Just in between the tackles, all day long.
thought the same thing.

I am confident, if he can get 45 carries next week, he can break 100 yards.
:goodposting: Atlanta was one of the worst run defenses YPC wise from what I read and he got 70 yards on almost 30 carries? He got the TD so FF he looked respectable, but I wonder what he would have done had Ryan not thrown 3 INTs and had his worst game of the year.

Plus, Goodson is looking much better, and I think we're headed toward a RBBC situation.
? I guess he's trending up, in that today's 4 carries were the most he's had all year.
Every time he's touched the ball, he's performed. At a certain point, I worry that the RBBC situation will happen when he continues to perform at a high level and Mcfadden keeps getting less than 3 yards per carry. I've stayed away from Goodson in my league because I am a Panthers fan and know how terrible his ball control is...but I can't see him being kept off the field for much longer when he's so clearly outplaying Mcfadden.

Traded DMC for Ridley over his bye week, and that was looking great until Ridley's fumble late in the Denver game. Still might work out so long as Ridley stays out of the doghouse. Although I'm hoping I got some value in this deal, I think it illustrates one of the advantages DMC has. So long as he's healthy, he WILL get the vast majority of carries in Oakland. Whereas Ridley or similar backs - although outproducing DMC - they just don't have the same job security. I think that makes a pretty good case to trade FOR McFadden - he's got talent, and job security... if he ever pulls it together. Holding him in at least 2 other leagues to hedge against him pulling it together. (The rest of the deal was that I gave up Dez for Dem. Thomas - so I was happy to pull the trigger, but it's easier to evaluate by just considering the RBs. The above poster who traded SJax AND Reggie Wayne... well, that must have been before Wayne's blow up. Ouch.)
Thats funny. I traded Ridley for DMC before their bye week. Felt that Ridley had reached his peak with that situation only getting more crowded and DMC has a great schedule coming up, plus a bye week for the coaches to figure out what went wrong. Hopefully I'm right.
Haha, maybe it was you I traded him to? In any case, I'm feeling better about dealing him. Although he's got over 100 total yards now, Goodson is a bigger part of the offense than I was expecting (now the clear handcuff IMO), and the Raiders don't look like they can rush the ball in the red zone, meaning DMC is overly reliant on breaking long runs to get a TD. I don't think going forward DMC is going to carry blue-chip trade value that he might have previously. Still a hold if you haven't already dealt him IMO. Also, pick up Goodson.ETA - I spoke too soon! McFadden punches it in from the 2 yard line to give him a pretty nice game. However, also heard that the Raiders have only 2 rushing TDs on the season.
After that Pats game, I'm feeling better about my decision.

The ypc was unimpressive, but did anyone else notice that the Raiders ran a lot of PBS today in favor of ZBS? I took that as a major positive for Mcfadden coming out of the bye. Shows the coaches' willingness to adjust.

Now is probably a good buy low opp if this proves to be a harbinger.

The ypc was unimpressive, but did anyone else notice that the Raiders ran a lot of PBS today in favor of ZBS? I took that as a major positive for Mcfadden coming out of the bye. Shows the coaches' willingness to adjust.Now is probably a good buy low opp if this proves to be a harbinger.
Saw that. There were a number of plays that looked familiar to last season. Only bummer was that he had 2 or 3 nice plays called back on penalties.

Lot a whinging in here. Raiders are (painful as it is to say) not the kind of team that is going to put DMac in a position to excel. His success is largely dependent on himself. And what I see is still one of the better talents in his position in the league, running hard and finding success.

From a fantasy perspective, the guy had just shy of 100 all-purpose and a TD. And people act like he's benchable until further notice. The guy had 27 carries -- while Goodson performed well with his time, there is no indication whatsoever from the playcalling or performance that he is anything but an unsexy handcuff. Yet some are acting like Goodson is the guy to ensure to pick up this week?

Tunes were changing late in the thread, but bottom line is McFadden has the ability to perform consistently at RB1 level no matter what the rest of the team is doing around him. I, too, watched every play of the game (and pretty much laid it all out in the game thread today) -- what I saw was a hardnosed runner who was hitting holes quickly and trying to make plays happen after first contact, on every down.

I agree with consensus that ZBS isn't ideal for him, and happier to see some power runs in the mix today -- but DMac also excelled during some ZBS scheme runs, using the inside and outside zones to get to the second level and using good field vision to find open space beyond.

This is a player being held back by his team -- fantasy wise, even with the slow start, DMac has shown me enough through this season so far to have me thanking my stars I am able to get a solid RB1 talent who can keep pace with most of my opponent's RB1 any given Sunday.

Lot a whinging in here. Raiders are (painful as it is to say) not the kind of team that is going to put DMac in a position to excel. His success is largely dependent on himself. And what I see is still one of the better talents in his position in the league, running hard and finding success.From a fantasy perspective, the guy had just shy of 100 all-purpose and a TD. And people act like he's benchable until further notice. The guy had 27 carries -- while Goodson performed well with his time, there is no indication whatsoever from the playcalling or performance that he is anything but an unsexy handcuff. Yet some are acting like Goodson is the guy to ensure to pick up this week?Tunes were changing late in the thread, but bottom line is McFadden has the ability to perform consistently at RB1 level no matter what the rest of the team is doing around him. I, too, watched every play of the game (and pretty much laid it all out in the game thread today) -- what I saw was a hardnosed runner who was hitting holes quickly and trying to make plays happen after first contact, on every down. I agree with consensus that ZBS isn't ideal for him, and happier to see some power runs in the mix today -- but DMac also excelled during some ZBS scheme runs, using the inside and outside zones to get to the second level and using good field vision to find open space beyond.This is a player being held back by his team -- fantasy wise, even with the slow start, DMac has shown me enough through this season so far to have me thanking my stars I am able to get a solid RB1 talent who can keep pace with most of my opponent's RB1 any given Sunday.
finally some common sense. Reading this thread, it's like I'm not even watching the same game.

He's averaging less than 3ypc this season and he's barely being used in the passing game. Week 1 was an abbarition because the receptions aren't happening anymore on anthing more than an occasional dump off. He's had a couple adequate FF games this season (the two games where he's had the TD). It's not that I'm upset with his performance so far from a fantasy perspective, but I am worried about him putting up a number of 5-6 point fantasy games, especially if they happen to fall behind.

I'm probably going to be forced to start him over the next few weeks, because Murray is hurt and Lynch is doing just as poorly for me (in PPR Lynch is practically useless if he doesn't get a TD). I hope he gets better, but I can't count on him getting 25+ carries a week to put up decent stats. If he does, he'll be injured in the next couple weeks.

Yesterday he also had a 21 yard run called back for holding... could be the only way that line can create a hole though.

He's averaging less than 3ypc this season and he's barely being used in the passing game. Week 1 was an abbarition because the receptions aren't happening anymore on anthing more than an occasional dump off. He's had a couple adequate FF games this season (the two games where he's had the TD). It's not that I'm upset with his performance so far from a fantasy perspective, but I am worried about him putting up a number of 5-6 point fantasy games, especially if they happen to fall behind.

I'm probably going to be forced to start him over the next few weeks, because Murray is hurt and Lynch is doing just as poorly for me (in PPR Lynch is practically useless if he doesn't get a TD). I hope he gets better, but I can't count on him getting 25+ carries a week to put up decent stats. If he does, he'll be injured in the next couple weeks.
You sound upset about that?I'd start McFadden over Murray and Lynch any given week without blinking.

I think its just hard to watch so many 1 and 2 yard runs. It's not that he is bad, but the situation remains bad. I'm glad he was able to squeeze out a good week based on volume. I just can't see him having many more 25+ carry days with how bad this offense is. They couldn't even really capitalize in a horrible day by Matt Ryan.

You sound upset about that?I'd start McFadden over Murray and Lynch any given week without blinking.
I'd gladly start Murray over him, if healthy. The difference is when Murray has a bad game, he will get me 5 catches in ppr. Mcfadden isn't getting that. Lynch sucks in ppr when he doesn't get a td, so I prefer mcfadden over him.

It's gettin' there, but these kinds of things sure hurt...

(Shotgun) D.McFadden left guard to ATL 46 FUMBLE, -9 yards.
D.McFadden left end to ATL 20 for 24 yards. PENALTY on OAK-M.Reece, Offensive Holding, 10 yards
D.McFadden right end ran ob at ATL 25 for 21 yards. PENALTY on OAK-W.Smith, Offensive Holding, 10 yards

It's gettin' there, but these kinds of things sure hurt...

D.McFadden left end to ATL 20 for 24 yards. PENALTY on OAK-M.Reece, Offensive Holding, 10 yards
D.McFadden right end ran ob at ATL 25 for 21 yards. PENALTY on OAK-W.Smith, Offensive Holding, 10 yards
Without the holding, it would read more like "McFadden left guard for 2 yards."
We get it, you don't like the guy. Do ya really enjoy trolling the thread?

Lot a whinging in here. Raiders are (painful as it is to say) not the kind of team that is going to put DMac in a position to excel. His success is largely dependent on himself. And what I see is still one of the better talents in his position in the league, running hard and finding success.From a fantasy perspective, the guy had just shy of 100 all-purpose and a TD. And people act like he's benchable until further notice. The guy had 27 carries -- while Goodson performed well with his time, there is no indication whatsoever from the playcalling or performance that he is anything but an unsexy handcuff. Yet some are acting like Goodson is the guy to ensure to pick up this week?Tunes were changing late in the thread, but bottom line is McFadden has the ability to perform consistently at RB1 level no matter what the rest of the team is doing around him. I, too, watched every play of the game (and pretty much laid it all out in the game thread today) -- what I saw was a hardnosed runner who was hitting holes quickly and trying to make plays happen after first contact, on every down. I agree with consensus that ZBS isn't ideal for him, and happier to see some power runs in the mix today -- but DMac also excelled during some ZBS scheme runs, using the inside and outside zones to get to the second level and using good field vision to find open space beyond.This is a player being held back by his team -- fantasy wise, even with the slow start, DMac has shown me enough through this season so far to have me thanking my stars I am able to get a solid RB1 talent who can keep pace with most of my opponent's RB1 any given Sunday.
Bump. This is the only thoughtful post in the entire thread.

I actually just dropped Goodson myself. Rather have someone with upside like David Wilson or even Legarette Blount. I don't think goodson will be nearly as good as DMC should he go down. Bottomline is that he is a RB1 on a bad team. But he has a great schedule for the rest of the season. Fantasy Rankings Most Pts allowed7 Jax 3rd8 KC 9th9 TB 22nd10 Bal 13th11 NO 1st12 Cin 10th13 Cle 11th14 Den 15th15 KC 9th16 Car 6th6 out of 10 games against the 10 worst rushing D's. 9 out of 10 against Bottom 15. You don't get a much more favorable schedule than that. Plus he has 6 games at home. Whats not to like here?

Currently offering my wr3 Wayne to the DMC owner to see if I can catch a fish.

What have you guys got him for?

I actually just dropped Goodson myself. Rather have someone with upside like David Wilson or even Legarette Blount. I don't think goodson will be nearly as good as DMC should he go down. Bottomline is that he is a RB1 on a bad team. But he has a great schedule for the rest of the season. Fantasy Rankings Most Pts allowed7 Jax 3rd8 KC 9th9 TB 22nd10 Bal 13th11 NO 1st12 Cin 10th13 Cle 11th14 Den 15th15 KC 9th16 Car 6th6 out of 10 games against the 10 worst rushing D's. 9 out of 10 against Bottom 15. You don't get a much more favorable schedule than that. Plus he has 6 games at home. Whats not to like here?
Exactly. I think he's got the best RB schedule the rest of the year. Should be a beast the rest of the year. In PPR he's had 2 great, 1 solid and 2 bad games. So we'll see where he goes from here.

Currently offering my wr3 Wayne to the DMC owner to see if I can catch a fish. What have you guys got him for?
That could bite you in the ###. Wayne is going to get 10-15 targets every game and has the athleticism and talent to be a beast the rest of the season. If DMC doesn't do what we know he's capable of doing, it could be a rape for the other guy.Do you start 3 WR or is Wayne on the bench? How is Wayne possibly your WR3?

Currently offering my wr3 Wayne to the DMC owner to see if I can catch a fish. What have you guys got him for?
That could bite you in the ###. Wayne is going to get 10-15 targets every game and has the athleticism and talent to be a beast the rest of the season. If DMC doesn't do what we know he's capable of doing, it could be a rape for the other guy.Do you start 3 WR or is Wayne on the bench? How is Wayne possibly your WR3?
If it's a PPR, there is no way Wayne should be WR3 (he's #2 in points per game). I have to assume it's non-PPR.Regardless, unless I was desperate for a RB, I would jump at the chance to get Wayne for DMC.

If it's a PPR, there is no way Wayne should be WR3 (he's #2 in points per game). I have to assume it's non-PPR.Regardless, unless I was desperate for a RB, I would jump at the chance to get Wayne for DMC.
my 12 team money league is .5 ppr, start 3 wr no flex. got aj green, Marshall, and Wayne as my wr3... yeah I am in first place :excited:

my 12 team money league is .5 ppr, start 3 wr no flex. got aj green, Marshall, and Wayne as my wr3... yeah I am in first place :excited:
It's debatable I'd he's my #3. No ppr. AJ Green/Marshall/Wayne

It's debatable I'd he's my #3. No ppr. AJ Green/Marshall/Wayne
Non-ppr, I can see that.

This may be old news, but it's the first I've seen it. That would explain the few big runs that McFadden had last week, and it's a good sign that they are working toward running options that DMC is more comfortable with.

(Rotoworld)Although OC Greg Knapp is still married to his zone-blocking scheme, he added a mix of one-back power runs during the Raiders' bye week.Analysis: "We did some more one-back power and we emphasized, instead of wide zone, we did some tight zone as change ups," Knapp said. "But it was still a pretty good mix of both in (32) rushes." Darren McFadden's two longest runs were called back on holding penalties, and NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell noticed the Raiders ground attack finally "started to show signs of life as a sustaining element" at Atlanta. McFadden has perhaps the league's softest run defense schedule the rest of the way.

'solorca said:
This may be old news, but it's the first I've seen it. That would explain the few big runs that McFadden had last week, and it's a good sign that they are working toward running options that DMC is more comfortable with.

(Rotoworld)Although OC Greg Knapp is still married to his zone-blocking scheme, he added a mix of one-back power runs during the Raiders' bye week.Analysis: "We did some more one-back power and we emphasized, instead of wide zone, we did some tight zone as change ups," Knapp said. "But it was still a pretty good mix of both in (32) rushes." Darren McFadden's two longest runs were called back on holding penalties, and NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell noticed the Raiders ground attack finally "started to show signs of life as a sustaining element" at Atlanta. McFadden has perhaps the league's softest run defense schedule the rest of the way.
It's old news to those of us who were watching closely last weekend. Most of DMC's best runs came from power blocking techniques. The Raider staff clearly added wrinkles and adjustments to try to improve McFadden's production. And it worked. This is a very good sign potentially.

'solorca said:

It's old news to those of us who were watching closely last weekend. Most of DMC's best runs came from power blocking techniques. The Raider staff clearly added wrinkles and adjustments to try to improve McFadden's production. And it worked. This is a very good sign potentially.
I figured as much. I didn't get a chance to watch the game last week, so it was news to me since I hadn't seen it mentioned. I know it was something that a lot of us were hoping they'd implement during the bye week.

Users who are viewing this thread