What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Alshon Jeffery - The Bandwagon (1 Viewer)

Bears face challenge replacing Brandon Marshall’s production

Excerpt:

The current roster features receivers such as Alshon Jeffery, Josh Bellamy, Marc Mariani, Josh Morgan and Marquess Wilson. And it’s worth pondering whether Marshall’s departure will negatively affect Jeffery’s growth, considering it was the former’s tutelage (teaching him how to train, how to eat and how to take care of his body) that paved the way for the latter’s ascension.

The Bears could try to replace Marshall with Jeffery as the No. 1, but it’s worth asking whether Jeffery is actually ready to take on such a role. Once Marshall was lost for the season Dec. 4, Jeffery averaged just four catches during the last three games after averaging 5.6 receptions the previous 13 contests.

Jeffery the official #1 in ChiTown after Bears trade of Brandon Marshall. What should we be expecting this season and further down the line?
From Mike Clay at PFF:

Updated early Bears WR projections:

Alshon Jeffery: 90-1382-10

Marquess Wilson: 57-661-5
This is always an interesting question because so often we assume if you remove a player, it means more pie for the others to eat. But its hard to say because Marshall was so productive in Chicago that it almost has to be certain that he commanded so much attention it made life A LOT easier for everyone else.

Alshon looks capable of being the real deal replacement. He's already done very well. But he could also be one of those players that shrinks a bit once he starts getting all the attention.

I saw a couple mock drafts that had Chicago taking a WR in the first round. Hypothetically, what would that do to Jeffery's value?

I saw a couple mock drafts that had Chicago taking a WR in the first round. Hypothetically, what would that do to Jeffery's value?
Would hurt him, but he was a WR1 opposite Marshall so I'd expect him to remain one. Would be disappointing since I'm expect him to get a bump in targets this year and finally get into the top 5.

Something tells me the Bears have no intention of resigning Alshon to another contract. Of course this is all speculation, but why else would they spend the number 7 overall on Kevin White? If Kevin White shows any promise this season, I think Alshon will be playing elsewhere next year. I own both of these players so a stock split would be fantastic. Wishful thinking?

Something tells me the Bears have no intention of resigning Alshon to another contract. Of course this is all speculation, but why else would they spend the number 7 overall on Kevin White? If Kevin White shows any promise this season, I think Alshon will be playing elsewhere next year. I own both of these players so a stock split would be fantastic. Wishful thinking?
Would you have used similar logic for the Packers, and Nelson/Cobb/Adams? (or Marvin Harrison/Reggie Wayne?)How would that have worked?

So according to you, a team having two #1 quality wrs (potentially of course with White) is redundant and unnecessary?

Adams is cheap. Nelson is rounding the corner into the twiligiht of his career. Cobb was necessary. They know they are close to winning a Superbowl. Alshon is nowhere near 30. He was not drafted by the current regime. The Bears are not close to winning. Plus they don't have Aaron Rodgers. Rebuilding wouldn't set this team back They are already set back. Again, it is all speculation at this point but the circumstances surrounding the Packers are not the same as the Bears. Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne? That guy Manning was hitting his stride. He was a generational talent like that guy Rodgers. You HAVE to surround those guys with talent regardless of the cost because you know they give you a chance to win a SuperBowl. Cutler? Not so much. I wouldn't be pissed or upset if he stays. I also wouldnt be shocked. I think they can both eat in that offense. But I just wonder how committed they are to Alshon.

Adams is cheap. Nelson is rounding the corner into the twiligiht of his career. Cobb was necessary. They know they are close to winning a Superbowl. Alshon is nowhere near 30. He was not drafted by the current regime. The Bears are not close to winning. Plus they don't have Aaron Rodgers. Rebuilding wouldn't set this team back They are already set back. Again, it is all speculation at this point but the circumstances surrounding the Packers are not the same as the Bears. Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne? That guy Manning was hitting his stride. He was a generational talent like that guy Rodgers. You HAVE to surround those guys with talent regardless of the cost because you know they give you a chance to win a SuperBowl. Cutler? Not so much. I wouldn't be pissed or upset if he stays. I also wouldnt be shocked. I think they can both eat in that offense. But I just wonder how committed they are to Alshon.
Makes sense. He is likely going to have another pretty big year, probably his best yet. That big contract he would warrant would be better spent by the Bears on a few other places-especially on the defensive side.

Makes sense. He is likely going to have another pretty big year, probably his best yet. That big contract he would warrant would be better spent by the Bears on a few other places-especially on the defensive side.
This is what I am thinking. I feel like if they were set on keeping Alshon, they would not have reached for Kevin White at #7. Especially since they have so many holes to fill. But I am just a casual observer so my opinion shouldn't be taken too seriously.

This is what I am thinking. I feel like if they were set on keeping Alshon, they would not have reached for Kevin White at #7. Especially since they have so many holes to fill. But I am just a casual observer so my opinion shouldn't be taken too seriously.
Yeah, when you hit on an impactful player it is usually best to just let him walk, rather than keeping your top players. I'd bank on doing the opposite of the Packers, Patriots, Steelers, etc. Better to go the Tampa Bay or Miami route.

The Bears drafted White to replace BMarsh, not Alshon.

Forte is in the final year of his contract, and the Bears can actually save cap space by cutting Cutler next year. I think it's more likely Jeffrey is back and those two are gone.
True, no way either of those guys come back.

Rotoworld:

Alshon Jeffery is expected to miss a week with a mild calf strain.

It's a downgrade from his original day to day timetable, but still not a long-term concern. Jeffery is in a walking boot and will likely miss the second preseason game. The Bears should have Jeffery for their regular season dress rehearsal if he avoids setbacks.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Aug 14 - 5:35 PM

My live draft is Aug 29 at noon.

The Bears third exhibition game is Aug 29 at 7:30.

I have the 25th pick. If others get skittish that Alshon hasn't played, I will gladly scoop him up at 25.

Rotoworld:

Alshon Jeffery (calf) has shed his walking book and is no longer using crutches.

Jeffery is still not practicing, but this is a step in the right direction. GM Ryan Pace has insisted Jeffery's injury is not a long-term concern. With Kevin White (shin) perhaps done for the year, the Bears will likely take it easy with their No. 1 receiver.

Source: Zach Zaidman on Twitter
Aug 17 - 9:37 AM

Royal is primed for a big year, and is a value right now although likely not for long. But I think it is highly, highly, highly (are you high?) unlikely that his end of season numbers come even close to Alshon.

georg013 said:
Sabertooth said:
Nervous of Alshon, that's for sure.
Are you suggesting owners take Royal over Jeffery? Just want to clarify. Thanks in advance.
Yeah, that's what I'm suggesting. /sarcasm. Do I like Royal more as a WR4 than I like Alshon as a WR1? Yes.

georg013 said:
Sabertooth said:
Nervous of Alshon, that's for sure.
Are you suggesting owners take Royal over Jeffery? Just want to clarify. Thanks in advance.
Yeah, that's what I'm suggesting. /sarcasm. Do I like Royal more as a WR4 than I like Alshon as a WR1? Yes.
Your opinion that Eddie Royal will make a nice WR4 this year is of tremendous value in a thread devoted to info and opinions about Alshon Jeffrey.I'll be hitting the Demaryius Thomas thread soon, would you mind stopping by and sharing your thoughts on whether Cody Latimer might be a WR4/5 this year?

As far as Alshon goes, there's just enough uncertainty with him right now (Marshall gone, calf strain) to make him a great buy in dynasty. Could be a monster WR1 for a long time, but fears of the unknown are making him acquirable at a great value right now.

With his size and red zone desirability, his floor is a solid WR2. His ceiling is top teir WR1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alshon's ADP seems to be a bit overvalued. A) this offense is going to need time to gel and is unproven B) Alshon is going to see a boatload of double coverage.

I'm passing this year at his ADP, but I fully expect him to put up solid, yet unspectacular numbers.

Players going after Alshon in FFPC that I believe have similar value include: Hilton, Cooks and Benjamin.

Alshon's ADP seems to be a bit overvalued. A) this offense is going to need time to gel and is unproven B) Alshon is going to see a boatload of double coverage.

I'm passing this year at his ADP, but I fully expect him to put up solid, yet unspectacular numbers.

Players going after Alshon in FFPC that I believe have similar value include: Hilton, Cooks and Benjamin.
Alshon is the No. 1 wideout on a team that will be throwing a lot, most likely due to being behind in games. He is capable of high pointing the ball and beating double coverage. I like your assessments but respectfully disagree. His 3rd rd ADP in PPR is still spot on despite the injury.

Alshon is the No. 1 wideout on a team that will be throwing a lot, most likely due to being behind in games. He is capable of high pointing the ball and beating double coverage. I like your assessments but respectfully disagree. His 3rd rd ADP in PPR is still spot on despite the injury.
:hifive:

Rotoworld:

Alshon Jeffery (calf) is expected to sit out the Bears' second preseason game on Saturday.

Jeffery is traveling with the team, but the Bears have zero reason to risk their No. 1 wideout's health. Jeffery has shed his walking boot and crutches, and could return to practice some time in the next 7-10 days.

Source: Jeff Dickerson on Twitter
Aug 18 - 2:01 PM

This is either going to be a dilemma or an opportunity for me.

I have the 25th pick and I'm almost certain the value at that spot will be WR.

I believe Alshon would be a second round pick if healthy. Our draft will occur the afternoon of the third preseason game.

If Alshon falls out of the second round, I might have to decided among him, Evans, TY and Cooks (who I'm also high on this year).

Will you guy's stop it with the double-coverage nonsense? First of all, this is an over-blown concern for any player inheriting a #1 WR role on any team. The increase in targets always outweighs the increase in defensive attention, as long as the player reaches a certain talent baseline. And sometimes even then. He's going to be targeted a ton on a bad team, and Cutler will lock in on him. He's the type of WR that can out-jump corners and aggressively catch the ball while covered, he's going to be fine.

Were people worried when Kelvin Benjamin was the only WR on CAR last year? No, they were excited about the opportunity and the guaranteed targets. Alshon Jeffery is way better than Benjamin, obviously. But my point remains, and if anything the gap between he and Benjamin just makes my argument stronger.

Will you guy's stop it with the double-coverage nonsense? First of all, this is an over-blown concern for any player inheriting a #1 WR role on any team. The increase in targets always outweighs the increase in defensive attention, as long as the player reaches a certain talent baseline. And sometimes even then. He's going to be targeted a ton on a bad team, and Cutler will lock in on him. He's the type of WR that can out-jump corners and aggressively catch the ball while covered, he's going to be fine.

Were people worried when Kelvin Benjamin was the only WR on CAR last year? No, they were excited about the opportunity and the guaranteed targets. Alshon Jeffery is way better than Benjamin, obviously. But my point remains, and if anything the gap between he and Benjamin just makes my argument stronger.
Great post, except for "between he and Benjamin."

You think they're similar talents? I think Alshon is a far superior player, and I've watched a lot of both.

Anyways, I think if he stays healthy all year, this actually might be the year Alshon enters the elite conversation in real life and fantasy, he has that kind of skill-set and I think its that time.

You think they're similar talents? I think Alshon is a far superior player, and I've watched a lot of both.

Anyways, I think if he stays healthy all year, this actually might be the year Alshon enters the elite conversation in real life and fantasy, he has that kind of skill-set and I think its that time.
No, I'm a huge Alshon fan, and not as high on Kelvin as some.

I was just giving you a mild grammar rebuke.

No, I'm a huge Alshon fan, and not as high on Kelvin as some.

I was just giving you a mild grammar rebuke.
Damn it.

Rotoworld:

The Bears aren't concerned about Alshon Jeffery's (calf) status for Week 1.

"He has a mild calf strain," GM Ryan Pace said. "We don’t anticipate that (he'll) miss (Week 1)." Pace essentially ruled Jeffery out for this weekend's preseason game, but there's zero reason to doubt his status for the opener.

Source: ESPN Chicago
Aug 18 - 5:11 PM

Users who are viewing this thread