What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Alshon Jeffery - The Bandwagon (1 Viewer)

I think I read somewhere last week (maybe in here?) that Hoyer pretty much only throws to his right. Jeffery IIRC lines up on his left.
I paid attention to this specifically. While it's mostly true, they lined Jeffery up on the right side just after halftime. He still wasn't targeted until the 4th quarter. 

As someone else mentioned, Jeffery was extremely efficient on his targets. The second target of the game in the 4th was a deep ball he made a great catch in traffic. It's frustrating, but I really do not see how they look at the film from this week and ignore it. I'm giving him one more chance, but I think there's going to be an obvious correction. Too many blown 3rd downs, and a missed opportunity to win the game because of his lack of involvement. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Im taking it Jeffrey looked healthier this week?? If so--- might be great time to buy low... explosion could be coming. Agree that Hoyer fed Nuke last year??

Alshon Jeffery was seen leaving the stadium wearing a tshirt that read: Contract Year Receivers Matter to which Hoyer rudely replied," All receivers matter!" Stay tuned. 

I paid attention to this specifically. While it's mostly true, they lined Jeffery up on the right side just after halftime. He still wasn't targeted until the 4th quarter. 

As someone else mentioned, Jeffery was extremely efficient on his targets. The second target of the game in the 4th was a deep ball he made a great catch in traffic. It's frustrating, but I really do not see how they look at the film from this week and ignore it. I'm giving him one more chance, but I think there's going to be an obvious correction. Too many blown 3rd downs, and a missed opportunity to win the game because of his lack of involvement. 
You gonna give Alshon one more chance?.....you mean Hoyer?

georg013 said:
I seem to recall Hoyer doing that for every number one wide receiver he has ever had. I could be mistaken and probably am. But this frustration with Hoyer seems familiar.
Nonsense.  Hoyer absolutely fed Gordon and Hopkins.

Is he a buy or sell? I bought in a couple places early in the season. I'm wondering if I should acquire more shares. He's definitely been efficient with the targets he's received. 

You gonna give Alshon one more chance?.....you mean Hoyer?
I mean with Hoyer. After the focus on Jeffery's lack of usage, If he has another game this painful with Hoyer under center, I'm not confident with him in my lineup. It could've gone both ways yesterday.

Nonsense.  Hoyer absolutely fed Gordon and Hopkins.
Hopkins yes, although there was no one else on that team catching passes.

Gordon only played 8 games with Hoyer over 2 seasons. 5 of those 8 games, he had 4 or less catches.

-2013-
9/22 @Min - 19 / 10 / 146 / 1
9/29 vs Cin - 9 / 4 / 71 / 0
10/3 vs Buf - 6 / 4 / 86 / 1

-2014-
11/23 @ Atl - 16 / 8 / 120 / 0
11/30 @ Buf - 13 / 7 / 75 / 0
12/7 vs Ind - 7 / 2 / 15 / 0
12 /14 vs Cin - 4 / 3 / 48 / 0
12/21 @ Car - 7 / 4 /45 / 0

I mean with Hoyer. After the focus on Jeffery's lack of usage, If he has another game this painful with Hoyer under center, I'm not confident with him in my lineup. It could've gone both ways yesterday.

Hopkins yes, although there was no one else on that team catching passes.

Gordon only played 8 games with Hoyer over 2 seasons. 5 of those 8 games, he had 4 or less targets.

-2013-
9/22 @Min - 19 / 10 / 146 / 1
9/29 vs Cin - 9 / 4 / 71 / 0
10/3 vs Buf - 6 / 4 / 86 / 1

-2014-
11/23 @ Atl - 16 / 8 / 120 / 0
11/30 @ Buf - 13 / 7 / 75 / 0
12/7 vs Ind - 7 / 2 / 15 / 0
12 /14 vs Cin - 4 / 3 / 48 / 0
12/21 @ Car - 7 / 4 /45 / 0
This was it. I was a Josh Gordon owner hoping like hell Hoyer was pulled. Lol.

I cant say I have watched a ton of Brian Hoyer film, but in the games I have watched this season with a focus on Alshon, I agree with what has been said about him throwing almost exclusively to the right.   Been frustrating.  I am thinking that if we all are seeing that, the rest of the league is too.  That has to catch up with him.  Roll coverage to the right and force him to throw left.  Or cheat on routes on the right.  Eventually he will have to adjust, or resume his role as clipboard manager.  Gotta stay the course on 17 IMO.  Very soon the QB will adjust or be gone.

Well Hoyer just threw for 400, 2 TDs and no picks, and just turned the backup WR into the best game of any receiver this year, so.... right now he looks pretty good to the staff I'm thinking.

Maybe the "squeaky wheel" gets the oil this week?  Jeffery had to have said something to Hoyer.  Even with him not being the focal point he still caught 5/77.  Decent numbers for PPR.  Maybe Hoyer starts finally throwing to the most talented WR on the roster this week.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Well Hoyer just threw for 400, 2 TDs and no picks, and just turned the backup WR into the best game of any receiver this year, so.... right now he looks pretty good to the staff I'm thinking.
Yeah 400 yards and Jeffrey doesn't crack 100 is pretty  :wall:

SaintsInDome2006 said:
That can look any way you spin it. Hoyer threw for 400 / 2, and they lost. He left a ton on the table in terms of 3rd downs, and should've had an easy TD on the last play.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
The team doesn't care how great his stats look if he can't win games.  The Bears have been absolutely terrible in the redzone this year.

That can look any way you spin it. Hoyer threw for 400 / 2, and they lost. He left a ton on the table in terms of 3rd downs, and should've had an easy TD on the last play.
Not to mention the drive before, Alshon was upset he didn't the ball when facing 1-on-1 coverage at the GL on 3rd down (while on Hoyer's right!) and instead Hoyer throws a prayer into traffic and CHI settles for the FG.

There are a handful of guys in those situations that every QB should just throw it up there because your guy will normally win. Alshon is one of those guys with his height, physicality and extremely long arms/catch radius.

Unless Cutler comes back, Alshon is going to continue to have a very mediocre season. Hoyer can't throw over 10 yards and will not throw jump balls up to Alshon.

Im taking it Jeffrey looked healthier this week?? If so--- might be great time to buy low... explosion could be coming. Agree that Hoyer fed Nuke last year??
People are putting too much stock in Jeffrey's "health" this year.  He had numerous injuries last year and still put up huge numbers with Cutler throwing to him.

Hoyer loves Meredith. They have good chemistry - must've practiced a lot together.
Meredith did play quite a bit with Hoyer in preseason. Hoyer had a pitiful preseason. Meredith looked really good in preseason.  I guess Hoyer is too dumb to throw to his best receiver since he didn't play any with him in preseason.

I think it really comes down to practice. You're seeing it in Minnesota as well. Some QBs probably only feel comfortable throwing to guys they've been throwing to all week. Until Jeffery can start putting in full practices during the week (same with Diggs) I think their numbers will be down.

That's an indictment on Hoyer, not Jeffrey.  Not feeling comfortable throwing to one of the more dynamic receivers in the league because you haven't practiced enough with him is a joke.  Even a mediocre qb gets the ball to the best players on the field. Hoyer is a bum and doesn't have a clue how to do that.  He's had a ton of time to throw the ball over the last few weeks as well. Protection has been very good. He just sucks. If he had been abused like Cutler was the first two weeks, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. He'd already be benched.

That's an indictment on Hoyer, not Jeffrey.  Not feeling comfortable throwing to one of the more dynamic receivers in the league because you haven't practiced enough with him is a joke.  Even a mediocre qb gets the ball to the best players on the field. Hoyer is a bum and doesn't have a clue how to do that.  He's had a ton of time to throw the ball over the last few weeks as well. Protection has been very good. He just sucks. If he had been abused like Cutler was the first two weeks, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. He'd already be benched.
I think you're under-rating Hoyer. In Cleveland, he helped a bad Cleveland team go 10-6. And last year in Houston, in Hoyer's 10 complete games, Hopkins went over 90 yards 7 times, and had 7 TDs.

:cry:  Nuk says hi.

Meredith did play quite a bit with Hoyer in preseason. Hoyer had a pitiful preseason. Meredith looked really good in preseason.  I guess Hoyer is too dumb to throw to his best receiver since he didn't play any with him in preseason.
Here's to starting both Jeffrey & Meredith this week in Dynasty! 

Hello, 1-5!

:suds:

Targeted on literally half the % of routes as he was last year.  That's a staggering drop.  But hey, when they target him, he produces the 2nd most YPT in the league.

I am still holding/buying.  Regression coming.

Buck Bradcanon said:
Targeted on literally half the % of routes as he was last year.  That's a staggering drop.  But hey, when they target him, he produces the 2nd most YPT in the league.

I am still holding/buying.  Regression coming.
Progression to the mean. ;)

SoBeDad said:
I think you're under-rating Hoyer. In Cleveland, he helped a bad Cleveland team go 10-6. And last year in Houston, in Hoyer's 10 complete games, Hopkins went over 90 yards 7 times, and had 7 TDs.
Fantasy wise,  he's a decent option.  I've said that.   He's a garbage real life qb. 

I've watched every game Alshon has played.  Never seen him pissed like last week throwing his helmet.  He knows the problem. 

I don't know how he stays in Chitown after this year, unless they franchise tag him again. 
Absolutely. And, if I'm the coaching staff/GM and I have any ideas of keeping Alshon around, I'm having a talk with Hoyer ASAP.

I just noticed on Rotoworld that the listed a few notables for the Bears not practicing today, and Alshon is not one of them. This could be exactly the recipe that was needed.

Absolutely. And, if I'm the coaching staff/GM and I have any ideas of keeping Alshon around, I'm having a talk with Hoyer ASAP.

I just noticed on Rotoworld that the listed a few notables for the Bears not practicing today, and Alshon is not one of them. This could be exactly the recipe that was needed.
That is one thing that I thought might be the issue.  That him and Hoyer really don't have hardly any practice time together.  Maybe they start getting a little bit on track this week.

That is one thing that I thought might be the issue.  That him and Hoyer really don't have hardly any practice time together.  Maybe they start getting a little bit on track this week.
It could be the case. I noticed the same thing with Diggs... when he wasn't practicing his targets dropped tremendously. Purely speculation, but maybe some QBs need to practice with a guy all week to feel confident in throwing them the ball come game-time.

It could be the case. I noticed the same thing with Diggs... when he wasn't practicing his targets dropped tremendously. Purely speculation, but maybe some QBs need to practice with a guy all week to feel confident in throwing them the ball come game-time.
Hoyer seems to fit that description.

Brian Hoyer said he will not force the ball to Alshon Jeffery.
"So, for me it's go through the progression," Hoyer said, "and if they want to take him away, then we've got to make them pay in other ways." The "other way" was Cameron Meredith last week, who turned 12 targets into nine catches for 130 yards and a touchdown. Considering how many targets Kevin White saw before getting hurt, it would not be surprising if Meredith continued to out-target Jeffery moving forward. Unless something changes quickly, Jeffery's days as a WR1 appear over. Oct 13 - 10:40 AM

Brian Hoyer said he will not force the ball to Alshon Jeffery.
"So, for me it's go through the progression," Hoyer said, "and if they want to take him away, then we've got to make them pay in other ways." The "other way" was Cameron Meredith last week, who turned 12 targets into nine catches for 130 yards and a touchdown. Considering how many targets Kevin White saw before getting hurt, it would not be surprising if Meredith continued to out-target Jeffery moving forward. Unless something changes quickly, Jeffery's days as a WR1 appear over. Oct 13 - 10:40 AM
Yeah, IND really took Alshon away by leaving him wide open in the endzone on the final play. :sleep:

Can we take a collection for the Jags D-Line?  Maybe they can dive at Hoyer's knees if we collect enough.
What a joke.

So, it's "going through the progressions" to force the ball into a crowd to try and get it to Meredith? If Hoyer actually went through the progressions, then he would have looked off in the final play and thrown it to Alshon.

What a joke.

So, it's "going through the progressions" to force the ball into a crowd to try and get it to Meredith? If Hoyer actually went through the progressions, then he would have looked off in the final play and thrown it to Alshon.
http://bearswire.usatoday.com/2016/10/04/film-room-brian-hoyer-limits-bears-offensive-potential-with-trouble-reading-coverages/

Bears are likely limiting his progressions to prevent turnovers. The offense will "look better" but they won't win games like this.

https://usatbearswire.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/hoyer-slant-read.gif?w=1000
Even a simple Slant-Flat read proved to be difficult for Hoyer as he went to his first option of Logan Paulsen in the flat instead of finding Alshon Jeffery past the sticks (GIF via NFL Game Pass).

http://bearswire.usatoday.com/2016/10/04/film-room-brian-hoyer-limits-bears-offensive-potential-with-trouble-reading-coverages/

Bears are likely limiting his progressions to prevent turnovers. The offense will "look better" but they won't win games like this.

https://usatbearswire.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/hoyer-slant-read.gif?w=1000
Even a simple Slant-Flat read proved to be difficult for Hoyer as he went to his first option of Logan Paulsen in the flat instead of finding Alshon Jeffery past the sticks (GIF via NFL Game Pass).
Exactly, Hoyer is a flawed scared QB.  He doesn't have the arm to make these throws.  Smoking Jay isn't a good QB but his arm allows him to make all the necessary throws that Hoyer is severely lacking.

Users who are viewing this thread