What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

First Super Bowl that you remember watching? (1 Viewer)

The first NFL game I ever watched happened to be a Super Bowl the Dallas Cowboys vs the Denver Broncos . I was 7 years old. I had no clue of what was going on but by the end of that game I was a COWBOYS fan. I think the fact that everyone in that room hated the Cowboys swayed me to them. I just remember cheering for them and falling in love with football ever sense then. True Cowboys fan forever. This is coming from a guy that lives in Baltimore and roots for the Ravens but my heart is always in Dallas. Man I cant wait for the Cowboys to come to Baltimore next year :thumbup:

easily super bowl XX because I first remember the super bowl shuffle. i thought it was the norm for defensive lineman to run the ball and i probably will still think that bears team was the greatest ever.

Another geezer here proud to say I saw the first one as a teenager. DOB 1953.The older the violin, the sweeter the music.

Superbowl 10 (X for the Romans) Pittsburgh 21- Dallas 17This is the first football game I remember being interested in. My brother and I grew up in Missouri, and for some reason he rooted for Pittsburgh, so I had to pick Dallas out of spite. What a great game! I'll never forget how disappointed I was that my team didn't win, but my fanhood never waivered once over the next 25 or so years. I am still a die hard Cowboy fan!My brother now lives in KC, and has jumped ship on the Steelers and has become a Chiefs fan. Lets just say that I was very pleased when Dallas finally defeated the Steelers a few years ago, in their 3rd Superbowl matchup.

I also recall when the college all star team played the NFL winner, but barely.
I know it would never happen in these days, but this would be such a GREAT thing to see! Ah, that would be great fun! GL on the nap :)

Raiders / eagles...though I have some recollection of the steelers / Rams, but not much.Raiders / Eagles, I must've been 8-9 years old. :shock:

SB III, Jets over Colts. OK I'm a geezer by Board's standards. DOB 1957. For those who weren't around to see it, you have no idea what a major upset it was for an AFL team to beat an NFL team. The spread was about 14 points and the Colts were led by Johnny Unitas, widely viewed as the greatest QB ever at the time. The Jets came out and basically dominated the (conservatively played) game, and changed the way the leagues were looked at. As one of the other posters noted, the AFL and NFL were on rival networks and merged three years later. It was a good year to be a New Yorker, as the Mets' upset over the Orioles was equally unexpected.I recall that Earl Morrall played most of the year since Unitas got hurt. My recollection is that Morrall started the game and Unitas came in later when Morrall couldn't get anything going. Need to check that. The Colts that year, BTW, were 13-1 with 402 points scored and 144 allowed.
the spread was 17 points and Morrall played most of the game. Critics and Namath have always said that Shula should have brought Unitas in much earlier. Bubba Smith claims in his book the game was fixed. One thing that makes me believe it, is when Jimmy Orr was standing in the endzone waiving his arms, and Morrall looked right at him (camaras catch this), and instead of throwing the ball to Orr, he threw it over the middle and Johnny Sample intercepted it. A replay of that play shows Morrall had all day to throw the ball and he looked right at Orr. I believe the game was fixed for $$$ reasons. The NFL needed the merger and it never would have happened if the Colts won that game. Yes, it would have happened later regardless, but the league wanted it then.
Wasn't there also rumors that Carroll Rosenbloom (the Colts owner at the time - he later traded teams with Robert Irsay, who owned the Rams) had bet a gazillion dollars on the Jets (or owed the Mob a ton of money - something like that)? My dad thinks to this day that the game was fixed.

Superbowl X - 7 years old. I remember my Grandfather and Dad watching SB IX, because I remember being chased out of the living room because I was bothering them from watching the game.

I know I watched a couple of Super Bowls before this but don't remember anything about them. The first one I remember in detail is

Steelers-Rams '79

I thought the Rams were the better team at the time. I was six years old and over at my grandparents' house to watch it.
I'm pretty similar to Chris. I'm sure I watched Superbowl XII between the Cowboys and Broncos but now that I think about it I do remember some of that game (I had just turned 7).I vividly remember Superbowl XIII because I was a huge Cowboy and Roger Staubach fan back then.

Unlike Chris I knew Pittsburg was going to dominate XIV.
Pittsburgh did not dominate that game, they were down going into the 4th quarter. The lead changed hands many times. At the end of the game the Steelers opened it up because Chuck Noll figured the Rams would try to take away high percentage passes and the running game. One of the VERY few times the Steelers have ever done that.

the 27-10 (?) dallas over denver (led by craig morton) game in the late 70s. being born in 1971, i didn't "discover" pro sports until about 1977 or 1978

Super Bowl VI: Jan. 16, 1972 Dallas 24 Miami 3I am a big Cowboy fan. I think it started then.
Only 1 of 2 SB that I missed. I was 12 and decided a date at the movies was more important. What was I thinking? Besides, I was too #### young to be out on a date.
certainly to young to be out on a date that was worth missing the Super Bowl for :wall:

The second Pgh Victory over Dallas. (XIII ?)I was 5. I remember that and the Steelers/Rams the next year. My Aunt and Uncle had about 25 people over and while I got into the Steelers/Rams moreso a year later, I just remember the atmosphere more than anything from the PIT/DAL one...my whole family going bat####. Good times. Also, GB ebay. I got all 4 Stiller Superbowl games on DVD. The 74/75 ones are kinda bad quality, but the 78/79 ones are great. You really can't appreciate how cool the camera work is today until you go back and watch an NFL broadcast from 30 years ago.

The game when Pittsburgh beat Dallas 35-31.That was one of the best Super Bowl's for years.I hated Terry Bradshaw for years after that game and has taken me a long time to actually like him because of that.

Another geezer who's seen all the Super Bowls that have been played.I also remember watching a NFL Championship game's in the mid '60s, before the Super Bowl started, between the Colts and Browns, where Jim Brown single handedly beat the Johnny U-Raymond Berry Colts. And to go waaaaaay back to about 1961, I remember listening to the Redskins on the radio when Norm Snead was the QB, before the trade to Philly for Sonny Jurgensen.

Another geezer who's seen all the Super Bowls that have been played.I also remember watching a NFL Championship game's in the mid '60s, before the Super Bowl started, between the Colts and Browns, where Jim Brown single handedly beat the Johnny U-Raymond Berry Colts.
Geezers unite!I think I remember that game, too. About 1964, the Colts had had an awesome regular season, 13-1 or something like that, and were considered unbeatable. Along with Jim Brown, Cleveland also had Frank Ryan at QB and Gary Collins, I think, at WR, and those two played pitch and catch all day to destroy the Colts in a mammoth upset. 34-0, I think.The worst playoff defeat for Baltimore fans until that unfortunate Joe Namath thing a few years later.

I watched all of them - Super Bowl III never happened. :o I grew up midway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh and when it came time for me to declare my colors, about 12 years old, I went with the new team in the league - the Colts. Super Bowl III never happened.

As a Colts fan, I'm still sickened by Super Bowl III. I still think it was fixed, but that's for another thread. I tossed out a 10" black and white tv out the top floor of our house after that game. I got my Axx whipped good for that one.
:rotflmao:

The first SB I remember watching was SB XVI, the first meeting between SF and Cincy. I was six. However, a year later, when the Redskins beat the Dolphins, is the first time I really remember watching the entire game and caring. I've loved the Redskins ever since. And, I haven't missed a SB since then.

Redskins v Raiders in 83. Also my first full length game. :o Up until then in the UK we only had highlights a week late.Became a Redskins fan during that season so was gutted at the result, but enjoyed the following years until Gibbs left, and have endured the 11 since then. Looking forward to more SBs in our future now THE Coach has returned. :D

This is also very helpful for weeding out the youth from any talk of the "greatest ever" discussions. I will remember who you all are who have admitted to having your first Bowl sometime in the mid to late 80s. You all don't know what some of the best players looked like on the field.I turned 5 years old in the summer of '72, and I watched every Dolphin playoff game during their undefeated run through the Bowl. I also saw the mid-season game where Griese injured his toe. I was hooked, and I've been main veining the Dolphins every year since.Knowing that, I hope folks will start top perk up a bit more when I say Peyton Manning has a lot of qualities that were possessed by Dan Marino. When he left the game I said there'd never be another like him, and even if there was I wouldn't admit it. Peyton is it.

Born in '58. Have seen them all but, was much more interested in baseball at that age.SuperBowl (Guaran)III perked my interest somewhat. "What's with this AFL thing?" "If only that short timer Shula had started Johnny U."Super Bowl IV ripped out my heart. "Nobody can beat Minnesota, not with Kapp at QB."Super Bowl V - "Ya see, no matter what,an NFL team wins this year." Have been, unabashedly, a football guy ever since. Can't even imagine missing the biggest of big games.

This is also very helpful for weeding out the youth from any talk of the "greatest ever" discussions. I will remember who you all are who have admitted to having your first Bowl sometime in the mid to late 80s. You all don't know what some of the best players looked like on the field.I turned 5 years old in the summer of '72, and I watched every Dolphin playoff game during their undefeated run through the Bowl. I also saw the mid-season game where Griese injured his toe. I was hooked, and I've been main veining the Dolphins every year since.Knowing that, I hope folks will start top perk up a bit more when I say Peyton Manning has a lot of qualities that were possessed by Dan Marino. When he left the game I said there'd never be another like him, and even if there was I wouldn't admit it. Peyton is it.
Since when did you have to actually be alive during a particular time to have knowledge about it :rolleyes: . We have these great invevtions called VCRS and DVDS that have captured every NFL game ever played and NFL Films to educate who ever wants knowledge about football, past and present. I'm sure no one on this board was alive during the Roman Empire, but would bet we all know about it.Don't get me wrong, I know that older does mean wiser. But at the same time people with a thirst for info. and knowledge can find out anything they want and become just as informed. Of course seeing it first hand is always better, but I think no matter what people can make themselves informed on any topic as long as the have the desire to. So I don't buy the statement that just because some people may have seen something others haven't first hand that makes them more of an expert in any way.Oh and yes I am younger, 1st Super Bowl I remember in great detail is Bears over Pats. :ph34r:Edit to add that there are exceptions for this. For example if you did not live through a particular war then I don't think you can ever fully apriciate it do to the emotional involvment attached.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched a lot of football before '84 , but the first Superbowl that I remember being VERY excited about was the '84 Skins/Raiders.I was born in '74

The first NFL v. AFL Championship Game later referred to as Superbowl I.I remember switching (manually turning a channel dial) channels back and forth as the game was similtaneously broadcast by two different networks. I guess at the time they had not yet worked out which league had the broadcast rights to the game so both official networks broadcast it simultaneously. At the time I thought that was pretty amazing stuff.
This was my first too. I may have missed a few in college - don't remember those years all that well for some reason....

Just curious. It seems to me that when we get into the "all time great" type of posts, very few FBG's bring up anything earlier than the mid 80's. There are of course exceptions and if you are one of them please take no offense. Hell, even if you aren't take no offense. There is nothing wrong with being young, I'm jus curious as to who out there has been following the game for how long. Personally, the first SB that I really remember is XII, Cowboys over the Broncos after the 1977 season.
same, Super Bowl 12

"when I say Peyton Manning has a lot of qualities that were possessed by Dan Marino. "
Can't win a SuperBowl despite gaudy numbers and playing in postseason games where they were favored? :) Busting on ya and actually would like to see Peyton do something Marino never did, win a SB.

III- Jets vs Colts, Broadway Joe Nameth.I was sure the Colts were going to win--NFL kool-ade.Looks like you guys are a bunch of kids.

I'm 34, and the first for me was the Steelers over the Rams in what I remember was a very good game. Of course it was ages, and many Dead and Phish shows, ago, but it is in my memory as a good game, with a great catch by Swanny.

This is also very helpful for weeding out the youth from any talk of the "greatest ever" discussions.  I will remember who you all are who have admitted to having your first Bowl sometime in the mid to late 80s.  You all don't know what some of the best players looked like on the field.I turned 5 years old in the summer of '72, and I watched every Dolphin playoff game during their undefeated run through the Bowl.  I also saw the mid-season game where Griese injured his toe.  I was hooked, and I've been main veining the Dolphins every year since.Knowing that, I hope folks will start top perk up a bit more when I say Peyton Manning has a lot of qualities that were possessed by Dan Marino.  When he left the game I said there'd never be another like him, and even if there was I wouldn't admit it.  Peyton is it.
Since when did you have to actually be alive during a particular time to have knowledge about it :rolleyes: . We have these great invevtions called VCRS and DVDS that have captured every NFL game ever played and NFL Films to educate who ever wants knowledge about football, past and present. I'm sure no one on this board was alive during the Roman Empire, but would bet we all know about it.Don't get me wrong, I know that older does mean wiser. But at the same time people with a thirst for info. and knowledge can find out anything they want and become just as informed. Of course seeing it first hand is always better, but I think no matter what people can make themselves informed on any topic as long as the have the desire to. So I don't buy the statement that just because some people may have seen something others haven't first hand that makes them more of an expert in any way.Oh and yes I am younger, 1st Super Bowl I remember in great detail is Bears over Pats. :ph34r:Edit to add that there are exceptions for this. For example if you did not live through a particular war then I don't think you can ever fully apriciate it do to the emotional involvment attached.
I'm not saying young is dumb - but it helps when I hear a young'un talking about how this runner, or that runner, is the best ever w/o knowing first hand that Emmitt Smith played a huge playoff game on a busted shoulder, or saw Sweetness in his prime (and he was much better in his prime than in the Super Bowl year), or Jim Brown's power and speed combo, the Juice, Eric Dickerson, Roger Craig's high stepping, Marcus Allen being deprived of his shot by Al Davis' idiocy, or Larry Csonka's attempts to run through the goalpost - and the fact that he was only one of three really good runners on that team. Young'uns think it's all about Barry and Marshal and Priest making moves to avoid tackles while thinking the Bus driving over people is nothing remarkable.Or talks about great QB playoff comebacks of all time without having seen first hand John Elway lead his team on the Drive or recognizing Reich overcoming the greatest deficit ever in the Bills-Oilers playoff game that prevented Moon's best and last shot at the Bowl. Or talks about a great catch in the playoffs, but didn't see the Immaculate Reception in real time or the Charger/Dolphin playoff game with the flea flicker. Or talks about mobile running QBs who can create on the run, but never saw Randall Cuningham, or the Snake Stabler, or Staubach, or Tarkenton.Or talks about great defenses, and only knows about the "46," 4-3, 3-4, cover 2, zone blitz, but doesn't remember the great defenses of the 70s.I'm sure you can study up, if you want - but I have them all already up in the brain and saw them live. And there is no replacing that with old film - and I sincerely doubt most people bother watching the old film of regular season games. It helps me to guage another's opinion - not necessarily the value of it, but certainly my personal yardstick of trustworthiness. Someone can happily admit "I only know about Super Bowls from '85 forward" and I would respect that - but claiming knowledge, without having it, and just saying "oh, it's ancient history and a different league" without knowing the nuance, is plain ignorance.

Can't win a SuperBowl despite gaudy numbers and playing in postseason games where they were favored? :) Busting on ya and actually would like to see Peyton do something Marino never did, win a SB.
So would I.Of course, what I'm saying is watching Manning throw the ball, read defenses, and march his team down the field quickly reminds me of Marino.There has not been a QB in the league since Dan, Elway, and Montana where a 6 point lead with 55 seconds left is not relatively safe. Manning makes any lead of less than a TD and a minute on the clock erasable. And he's only going to get better over the next three years at killing people at the end of games.

I'm not saying young is dumb - but it helps when I hear a young'un talking about how this runner, or that runner, is the best ever w/o knowing first hand that Emmitt Smith played a huge playoff game on a busted shoulder, or saw Sweetness in his prime (and he was much better in his prime than in the Super Bowl year), or Jim Brown's power and speed combo, the Juice, Eric Dickerson, Roger Craig's high stepping, Marcus Allen being deprived of his shot by Al Davis' idiocy, or Larry Csonka's attempts to run through the goalpost - and the fact that he was only one of three really good runners on that team. Young'uns think it's all about Barry and Marshal and Priest making moves to avoid tackles while thinking the Bus driving over people is nothing remarkable.Or talks about great QB playoff comebacks of all time without having seen first hand John Elway lead his team on the Drive or recognizing Reich overcoming the greatest deficit ever in the Bills-Oilers playoff game that prevented Moon's best and last shot at the Bowl. Or talks about a great catch in the playoffs, but didn't see the Immaculate Reception in real time or the Charger/Dolphin playoff game with the flea flicker. Or talks about mobile running QBs who can create on the run, but never saw Randall Cuningham, or the Snake Stabler, or Staubach, or Tarkenton.Or talks about great defenses, and only knows about the "46," 4-3, 3-4, cover 2, zone blitz, but doesn't remember the great defenses of the 70s.I'm sure you can study up, if you want - but I have them all already up in the brain and saw them live. And there is no replacing that with old film - and I sincerely doubt most people bother watching the old film of regular season games. It helps me to guage another's opinion - not necessarily the value of it, but certainly my personal yardstick of trustworthiness. Someone can happily admit "I only know about Super Bowls from '85 forward" and I would respect that - but claiming knowledge, without having it, and just saying "oh, it's ancient history and a different league" without knowing the nuance, is plain ignorance.
I completly understand what your saying, just think that its so funny when people who are older always try and use it as some kind of trump card. I too saw all the great RBs run the ball (granted not first hand) but I did my homework. I also happened to know all about the great Ds of the 70s even though I was born in 79. I am from Pitt, which housed the greatest D of that decade if not all time. We are all born with Steel Curtian knowledge out here and a passoin for great D ;) .Don't you think that its ironic though how those who are older will always try and trump anything that a younger person thinks to be the best based on that very philosophy. I mean there is no way that every greatest thing to ever happened had to happen years ago. I think that there is a bad sterio-type that greatness needs to be aged like wine. Why can't great things be happing right now or have recently occured. I mean is Homes TD record not one of the greatest accoplishments ever in football just because it happened recently? Will it not get proper respect for another 20 yrs.? Even if the younger person happend to know more about the subject through research, he'll get the old "well you weren't even alove back then so you can't understand." I just think that its a bad sterio-type thats all, cuz I go through this every day with my step dad. Sorry to vent.

Agreed completely. I don't use " I saw it, you didn't" as a trump, but I already have it al lup there, and I'm not sure someone born a decade or two later does. That's great that YOU studied (I'm envisioning your father sitting your #### down to watch the stuff when you mouthed off about how the Steeler's had begun to suck) but the VAST MAJORITY of NFL fanms look to the here and now, ro what they personally remember, and discount the "older days."And, for the record, the Iron Curtain defense would have crushed any offense playing in any time before or since - so would the Bears "46," the LT Giants, and the recent Ravens/Bucs defenses. All defenses for the ages.

Agreed completely. I don't use " I saw it, you didn't" as a trump, but I already have it al lup there, and I'm not sure someone born a decade or two later does. That's great that YOU studied (I'm envisioning your father sitting your #### down to watch the stuff when you mouthed off about how the Steeler's had begun to suck) but the VAST MAJORITY of NFL fanms look to the here and now, ro what they personally remember, and discount the "older days."And, for the record, the Iron Curtain defense would have crushed any offense playing in any time before or since - so would the Bears "46," the LT Giants, and the recent Ravens/Bucs defenses. All defenses for the ages.
To tell you the truth, he has games on VHS clear back to OJs rookie yr. (Steeler games that is) :eek: So I have seen plenty of older games. One of my all time favs is when the 49s would have gone undefeted in I think 84 and finished with a 15-1 record all cuz the Steelers went into SF and stole a game the never should have been in. :rotflmao:

To tell you the truth, he has games on VHS clear back to OJs rookie yr. (Steeler games that is) :eek: So I have seen plenty of older games. One of my all time favs is when the 49s would have gone undefeted in I think 84 and finished with a 15-1 record all cuz the Steelers went into SF and stole a game the never should have been in. :rotflmao:
And the 'phins defending their undefeated record versus the 15-1 '85 Bears. Same year the Patriots eliminated the Dolphins in the Divisional game, and then beat the Browns to get their A-s spanked by the Bears. A rematch of the Dolphins-Bears regular season game would have been a lot sweeter.

It was the Super Bowl in '75 with the Steelers and Vikings. I was rooting for the Steelers because they had the same color uniforms as my favorite hockey team (Boston Bruins). I remember watching football earlier than that but that was the 1st super bowl I distinctly remember. My earliest memories of football were OJ Simpson running all over the Patriots and Joe Namath picking the Patriots apart. The Pats were pathetic in my early years.

Agreed completely.  I don't use " I saw it, you didn't" as a trump, but I already have it al lup there, and I'm not sure someone born a decade or two later does.  That's great that YOU studied (I'm envisioning your father sitting your #### down to watch the stuff when you mouthed off about how the Steeler's had begun to suck) but the VAST MAJORITY of NFL fanms look to the here and now, ro what they personally remember, and discount the "older days."And, for the record, the Iron Curtain defense would have crushed any offense playing in any time before or since - so would the Bears "46," the LT Giants, and the recent Ravens/Bucs defenses.  All defenses for the ages.
And the 'phins defending their undefeated record versus the 15-1 '85 Bears. Same year the Patriots eliminated the Dolphins in the Divisional game, and then beat the Browns to get their A-s spanked by the Bears. A rematch of the Dolphins-Bears regular season game would have been a lot sweeter.
I distinctly remember the Pats defeating the Raiders and then beating Miami in the AFC championship game that year. Miami had something like a 20 year winning streak vs the Pats in Miami but the Pats beat them in the most important game ever played between the two teams.

How did he get VHS tapes of OJ's rookie year when VCR's didn't come out until about 15 years later? I'm not saying its not true . I am curious because if you can purchase old games I would be interested.

You may be right - I think, though it was Cleveland on the road as a wild card team and then Miami - the Pats were the first WC team to go on the road every game and make the Bowl.

You may be right - I think, though it was Cleveland on the road as a wild card team and then Miami - the Pats were the first WC team to go on the road every game and make the Bowl.
Since I'm on the internet I checked to refresh the old memory. The Pats beat the Jets, Raiders and Dolphins to get to the Super Bowl. Cleveland narrowly lost to the Dolphins in the playoffs that year. 24-21. Another interesting fact: Cleveland won the central withan 8-8 record. It had almost slipped my mind that the Patriots really crushed Miami 31-14. If I remember correctly they had a lot of turnovers in that game. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1985.htm

Agreed completely.  I don't use " I saw it, you didn't" as a trump, but I already have it al lup there, and I'm not sure someone born a decade or two later does.  That's great that YOU studied (I'm envisioning your father sitting your #### down to watch the stuff when you mouthed off about how the Steeler's had begun to suck) but the VAST MAJORITY of NFL fanms look to the here and now, ro what they personally remember, and discount the "older days."And, for the record, the Iron Curtain defense would have crushed any offense playing in any time before or since - so would the Bears "46," the LT Giants, and the recent Ravens/Bucs defenses.  All defenses for the ages.
How did he get VHS tapes of OJ's rookie year when VCR's didn't come out until about 15 years later? I'm not saying its not true . I am curious because if you can purchase old games I would be interested.
Not really sure to tell you the truth. He is a big collector of VHS for some reason and has more than I bet you can imagin. I won't give the number. Mostly War stuff, and believe it or not there is actulally footage out there from the actual war (WWII) wich was in the 40's. The VCR wasn't introduced untill the early 50s, however research on it was started much earlier in the 40s. The 1st commercial ones hit in 56, so you can't tell me they weren't available in the 70s :rolleyes: . Before that there were VTRs or Video Tape Recorders, which I believe can be tranfered over to VHS. But I looked at it and he has tap as old as 1972, not his rookie year, 69. But you can get stuff thats for sure.

They have video records - reel to reel and whatnot - stretching back to the 40s - it's a simple matter of converting it to the right format from the original.

They have video records - reel to reel and whatnot - stretching back to the 40s - it's a simple matter of converting it to the right format from the original.
Thanks I guess it does pay to be older :P

Users who are viewing this thread