What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

what happened to the shark pool? (1 Viewer)

bostonfred

Footballguy
I've been actively posting here for over a decade, and I've seen different crops of posters come and go. When I started posting here, guys like cracKer, JoeT and domer were posting up a storm. Joe got a reputation as quite the rapscallion for posting that jerry rice did not deserve to go to the hall of fame. The next generation to come threw included guys like rudnicki, who is on staff now, and Lhucks, who actually used to be a decent poster, until he decided it was more fun to rile everyone up with egotistical comments and critiquing the staff projections. Guys like goat herders and anarchy99 came through, and a long time shark pooler named ministry of pain doubled his shark pool efforts and started doing a weekly running back thread. Two of those guys are on staff now. Ssog and some other fine posters soon followed. Those of you who were here know what I mean, and those who weren't, please read on.

Sometimes when people pine for the good old days, they forget what things used to be like. That's not the case with the shark pool. The new posters here are not following the rules. There's so much worthless, uninformed speculation, blatant fishing, wdis nonsense, and people talking about who they just traded for or traded away that there is almost no discussion of the actual players. It is a rare post that I read now which has any information whatsoever.

Guys like Kool aid larry and rizzler have ruined countless threads recently with thread stalking and bickering as if anyone cared about their factless opinion posts and ongoing arguments. Guys I've never heard of post like this all the time, but the guys who keep doing it make it so much worse. The wallace thread is double digit pages with maybe a dozen worthwhile posts, but it keeps getting bumped with worthless fighting between children. People keep saying sh, dont talk about my player, instead of openly talking about the good, bad and ugly of all the players out there. This is not good for anyone.

This place was at its best when everyone talked openly and honestly about their reasons for liking different guys, and we got good discussion with numbers, camp tidbits, and real analysis. That rising tide lifts all boats. If you don't want your league mates to knpw that you really like julio jones, post under an alias. Don't act like you're the only guy who has an opinion on him and your post agreeing that he might be good this year is going to kill his value. Nobody cares whether you like him, but we can all learn from a discussion of why you like him.

This is the worst time of year for the moderators, because they are all working on content, while this is the highest traffic time of the year on the boards. I'm asking those of you who post here regularly to please stop with the bickering. If people are posting wdis threads, report the post. If someone posts an argument you disagree with, post your reasoning, not just your indignation. if you'd rather just fish, go to the free for all, and be funny about it. We need new funny people over there, especially ones who don't post about politics. Please stop adding to the problem.

I've been actively posting here for over a decade, and I've seen different crops of posters come and go. When I started posting here, guys like cracKer, JoeT and domer were posting up a storm. Joe got a reputation as quite the rapscallion for posting that jerry rice did not deserve to go to the hall of fame. The next generation to come threw included guys like rudnicki, who is on staff now, and Lhucks, who actually used to be a decent poster, until he decided it was more fun to rile everyone up with egotistical comments and critiquing the staff projections. Guys like goat herders and anarchy99 came through, and a long time shark pooler named ministry of pain doubled his shark pool efforts and started doing a weekly running back thread. Two of those guys are on staff now. Ssog and some other fine posters soon followed. Those of you who were here know what I mean, and those who weren't, please read on.

Sometimes when people pine for the good old days, they forget what things used to be like. That's not the case with the shark pool. The new posters here are not following the rules. There's so much worthless, uninformed speculation, blatant fishing, wdis nonsense, and people talking about who they just traded for or traded away that there is almost no discussion of the actual players. It is a rare post that I read now which has any information whatsoever.

Guys like Kool aid larry and rizzler have ruined countless threads recently with thread stalking and bickering as if anyone cared about their factless opinion posts and ongoing arguments. Guys I've never heard of post like this all the time, but the guys who keep doing it make it so much worse. The wallace thread is double digit pages with maybe a dozen worthwhile posts, but it keeps getting bumped with worthless fighting between children. People keep saying sh, dont talk about my player, instead of openly talking about the good, bad and ugly of all the players out there. This is not good for anyone.

This place was at its best when everyone talked openly and honestly about their reasons for liking different guys, and we got good discussion with numbers, camp tidbits, and real analysis. That rising tide lifts all boats. If you don't want your league mates to knpw that you really like julio jones, post under an alias. Don't act like you're the only guy who has an opinion on him and your post agreeing that he might be good this year is going to kill his value. Nobody cares whether you like him, but we can all learn from a discussion of why you like him.

This is the worst time of year for the moderators, because they are all working on content, while this is the highest traffic time of the year on the boards. I'm asking those of you who post here regularly to please stop with the bickering. If people are posting wdis threads, report the post. If someone posts an argument you disagree with, post your reasoning, not just your indignation. if you'd rather just fish, go to the free for all, and be funny about it. We need new funny people over there, especially ones who don't post about politics. Please stop adding to the problem.
I have been a major contributor to the bickering and ego duels on the forums over my time here. I took a few months off from fantasy football, dealing with real life stuff - coming back, you are 100% right about the forum, in general. It's gets pretty hard to read at times. It seems like posters feel they have some kind of reputation they need to build and defend in order to stick out. That reputation or presona then gets in the way of most actual converation.
Please stop adding to the problem.
:thumbup:

Most of the threads I've seen where bickering follows is when one poster decides to label any opinion other than his as worthless or stupid. It's like they dont want anyone disagreeing with them because it might make it less likely that their posts get quoted in a player spotlight.

I miss the yellow board days. Now the only thing yellow about the shark pool is the water.

I used to be on this boars year round. Now? Not so much. When I can't stand the bickering it's a problem because I'm one of the best at it....

I just try to tune out the noise and pay attention to certain posters I've come to trust over the years. There is still a lot of great info on here (the best place I know of by far) but I agree with your post BF.

Most of the threads I've seen where bickering follows is when one poster decides to label any opinion other than his as worthless or stupid. It's like they dont want anyone disagreeing with them because it might make it less likely that their posts get quoted in a player spotlight.
Exactly. State your opinion. Take your stance on a player. Defend it. Nobody is an idiot simply because their view is different than yours.So many posts seem to get quoted with the first text of the reply being "No offense, but this or that is a stupid statement."

I still love the forum and probably won't ever leave. There is still a plethora of worthwhile information. I usually just stay away from the worthless banter.

I've only been around for a year so I don't know much of the "good ole days" but opinions and thoughts sure are attacked a lot around these parts.

Those are the politician posters. :yes:

As a long time lurker here and a major contributor at another FF site, I will say that this problem is not unique to FBG. In fact, a large number of the "regulars" from the other site I am at are starting to come and post here for a fresh take and due to the heavier offseason activity. And yes, many there complain about missing the good lod days when everyone was not afraid that their leaguemates would read their opinions on players, etc. Much more difficult to get good discussion going.

I used to be able to spend several hours sifting through the first and second pages of the boards, and seemingly never running out of useful and insightful info on any number of players.

Nowadays, after flying through the troll posts and fights, I can get through all the relevant info in about 10 minutes.

Guys like Kool aid larry and rizzler have ruined countless threads recently with thread stalking and bickering as if anyone cared about their factless opinion posts and ongoing arguments.
Someone cared enough to write a novel about it. :rolleyes: Anyways, short and sweet. If this was a forum that dealt with serious, life altering issues, I'd care.

It doesn't. This forum and this hobby are about pretending to be something we're not; Owners of a football team.

It's make belief, man. Most of us come here to cool down, blow off some steam, throw a couple zingers, and when we want real info, we hit the articles.

Some of us like to make novellas about how cool things were back in the dinosaur age.

I appreciate your post Fred. While I can't take much credit for things being good "back then" i do remember a time when it felt like there was more depth to the discussion.

I spend most of my time in the FFA because the moderating there is a bit more critical (it seems) to keeping things afloat. That said, the SP is part of the lifeblood of this place and I'll try to be here more often to steer things the right way.

HERD

Hi BF, I have been around since the Old Yeller days too and used to contribute heavily in both the SP and ACF. Guys you mention most have either moved into staff positions here or other sites. I miss JoeT and LHucks, as they had their quirks, but usually brought some great info. I think many of us that have stopped posting so much are tired of the flaming, and the schtick that goes on in nearly EVERY post. There are still great posters here, but they are getting harder to find..........

Guys like Kool aid larry and rizzler have ruined countless threads recently with thread stalking and bickering as if anyone cared about their factless opinion posts and ongoing arguments.
Someone cared enough to write a novel about it. :rolleyes: Anyways, short and sweet. If this was a forum that dealt with serious, life altering issues, I'd care.

It doesn't. This forum and this hobby are about pretending to be something we're not; Owners of a football team.

It's make belief, man. Most of us come here to cool down, blow off some steam, throw a couple zingers, and when we want real info, we hit the articles.

Some of us like to make novellas about how cool things were back in the dinosaur age.
Speak for yourself, jerk. :hot:

Someone cared enough to write a novel about it. :rolleyes: Anyways, short and sweet. If this was a forum that dealt with serious, life altering issues, I'd care.It doesn't. This forum and this hobby are about pretending to be something we're not; Owners of a football team. It's make belief, man. Most of us come here to cool down, blow off some steam, throw a couple zingers, and when we want real info, we hit the articles. Some of us like to make novellas about how cool things were back in the dinosaur age.
I see where you are coming from. I don't think there is anything wrong with a few zingers, or arguments. But, when it hinders the enjoyment of the large majority, and when it gets in the way of productive conversation, I think it is too far. I am not pointing you out specifically, by any means. Just that I wouldn't dismiss what BF is getting at, because I think you'll find most agree with him.

I try not to post here anymore.

I did not post a thing for over two weeks and then when Reid's son died a poster said something horrible and I responded and I quote myself "wow, I can't believe Maude just said that".

Well that comment earned me a week ban. I emailed Joe and got no response. Times must be hard on the mods.

i'd say the odds are pretty high that you act the same way here as you do in the real world.

I too got sick of the senseless arguing over choosing a player and taking a stand, in the name of some avatar/screenname credibility ego-trip. Fine then you win, you are smarter than thou. I don't really care. Congrats on your winning fantasy football team.

I have seen my average posts per day dwindle as I realize I have much more interest in my actual NFL team than I do fantasy football. And when I have a need for a fantasy football fix, I click over to subscriber content and get a much clearer, concise, and quality amount of info there. SP has seen it's heyday come and go.

Someone cared enough to write a novel about it. :rolleyes: Anyways, short and sweet. If this was a forum that dealt with serious, life altering issues, I'd care.It doesn't. This forum and this hobby are about pretending to be something we're not; Owners of a football team. It's make belief, man. Most of us come here to cool down, blow off some steam, throw a couple zingers, and when we want real info, we hit the articles. Some of us like to make novellas about how cool things were back in the dinosaur age.
I see where you are coming from. I don't think there is anything wrong with a few zingers, or arguments. But, when it hinders the enjoyment of the large majority, and when it gets in the way of productive conversation, I think it is too far. I am not pointing you out specifically, by any means. Just that I wouldn't dismiss what BF is getting at, because I think you'll find most agree with him.
Sure, I'll never deny being an ###.But I've also contributed projections, stats, defenses, solid arguments. I like to live on both sides of the tracks. Like Springsteen.

I hear what you're saying, but that's not what I come here for - I like to read people with some actual insight and information on fantasy football, and in the past that's been the primary focus of the board. Now, like Fred says, there seems to be a lot less of it on here.if you're looking to throw zingers and blow off steam, the FFA ought to be your huckleberry.

Guys like goat herders and anarchy99 came through, and a long time shark pooler named ministry of pain doubled his shark pool efforts and started doing a weekly running back thread. Two of those guys are on staff now.
What staffers were these two guys?
I have to say I miss the Goat Herders probably the most. I was always impressed by the way he could enlist posters into his Robert Ferguson or Bryan Gilmore Army. He completely disappeared after he became part of the staff.

It is somewhat true, threads just seem to disintegrate toward off topic bickering. This is a relatively common occurrence on big forums lately, a symptom of the internet if you will. On a macro scale it would seem indicative of a kind of trickle down effect from socio-political arenas that are extremely divisive. On the micro side it reflects a large population of slug like, unformed humans which, due to this lack of normal growth and maturation,

use the internet to act out an often aggressive fantasy persona. Many of these deluded sorts inhabit basements and dark places, avoiding direct sun and personal confrontation. :excited:

Guys like goat herders and anarchy99 came through, and a long time shark pooler named ministry of pain doubled his shark pool efforts and started doing a weekly running back thread. Two of those guys are on staff now.
Dowling = herd = Abe (me)Anarchy = rudnicki.

We were added to the staff before the 03 or 04 season. Can't recall. Wow that was a long time ago.

i'd say the odds are pretty high that you act the same way here as you do in the real world.
I do. I am the proud owner of 2 Master's degrees. I work at a University. I make a good living.

I also like to be a clown. Have done so forever and a day. I don't change my persona online, nor do I care to.

I is who I is. I dabble in this and dabble in that.

I enjoy life.

I think it's just how message boards go, unfortunately.

They start out with a few hyper-passionate hyper-informed posters who just want to talk about their interest.

That draws other hyper-passionate hyper-informed people with the same interest.

The board grows and word gets around that if you want a great discussion there's a place you can get it.

Then it gets popular and takes on a marketing gravity of its own, attracting people who aren't all that interested in having a good discussion.

And over time the Rizzlers of the world drive out the good posters.

Dowling = herd = Abe (me)Anarchy = rudnicki Yudkin

We were added to the staff before the 03 or 04 season. Can't recall. Wow that was a long time ago.
That's all right, I still get you guys confused, too.

I have to say I miss the Goat Herders probably the most. I was always impressed by the way he could enlist posters into his Robert Ferguson or Bryan Gilmore Army. He completely disappeared after he became part of the staff.
I'm in the Ffa most every day. But I appreciate the props and will be looking for a new Revolution to begin soon.... :hifive:

I am the latter.
What are the forum names of the new staffers like Hester, Cummings, and Holloway? Good work being done by those guys in the rankings.

I do. I am the proud owner of 2 Master's degrees. I work at a University. I make a good living. I also like to be a clown. Have done so forever and a day. I don't change my persona online, nor do I care to. I is who I is. I dabble in this and dabble in that. I enjoy life.
I think that's awesome, honestly. And I don't think there is anything wrong with being an ###. But, if it interferes with others enjoyment of the forum, and prevents productive conversation, (not saying you do, again, just that you shouldn't dismiss it) I think it's selfish. There is a specific forum for people that enjoy banter and ego battles.

I've only been around for a year so I don't know much of the "good ole days" but opinions and thoughts sure are attacked a lot around these parts.
Honestly the only reason the banter really bothers me is cause the next SSOG (MOP, etc.)just may decide to move on! I dont believe Ive ever even seen a post by Fred, and yeah maybe he would like seein feedback on his thread etc. (usin the "be excellent to one another") But I dunno there isnt much to do,but be reminded of the URGENT thread! P.S. Its possible some posts may be in jest, But hey were talkin FOOTBALL here!

ie.heres what you need to know! (imo)

Bottom line -

1. Keep this focused on NFL News and Player Discussion and General Strategy topics.

2. Understand most people in the Shark Pool don't care about your team and keep the focus on stuff that is applicable to all.

3. Be Excellent to One Another.

rut roh looks like :hijacked: If someone agrees, can you tell me what this emoticon means :blackdot: ?

Last edited by a moderator:
:goodposting: Fred.

I find myself quickly sifting through threads now looking of the meat instead of reading every post like I used to.

I think part of the problem is that 10 years ago, only the people who were really really into fantasy football came here, so the discussions were deeper and more serious. Now that FF has really taken off (great for Joe and David), it has watered down the quality.

It's still a great place to come. It just takes a little more digging.

I'm in the Ffa most every day. But I appreciate the props and will be looking for a new Revolution to begin soon.... :hifive:
We need an embarrassed icon. I would have never said good things about you if I knew you were still here. ;)

I used to be much more active in the day, but now I mainly focus on just the news. Pretty much every player is going to have people who like him and people who dislike him. Nobody will know who is right until the season's over. It usually doesn't do me any good to read a whole bunch of posts that nobody knows for sure which will be right or wrong. So now I spend more time just sitting back and enjoying the game...

:rolleyes: Really? As long as everyone who advocated Tate over Foster in the thread I started last season was banned, Id gladly Seppuku
Be the bigger guy here. That thread was the epitome of what BF is talking about. Let's just let it die and move on. No need to take anything personally. Whether you think the complaints are valid or not - they exist; it's how people feel. At the very least, understand that.

:rolleyes: Really? As long as everyone who advocated Tate over Foster in the thread I started last season was banned, Id gladly Seppuku
Be the bigger guy here. That thread was the epitome of what BF is talking about. Let's just let it die and move on. No need to take anything personally. Whether you think the complaints are valid or not - they exist; it's how people feel. At the very least, understand that.
Only if you swear to be a true MF Doom fan.

I swear that I am contemplating a trip to London to see him live. He seems to have abandoned the US.

I swear that I am contemplating a trip to London to see him live. He seems to have abandoned the US.
Vik Vaughn (Doom) - Let me watch.Still the greatest hip hop track ever produced.See, I can be productive

And over time the Rizzlers of the world drive out the good posters.
The threads all end up with a couple of posters bickering, defensiveness and rationalizing people's inability to let people have different opinions.I don't really post much anymore, not that I am a bastion of Fantasy information. I don't spend more than 10 minutes scanning the topics, not reading more than 30 seconds each, which generally go off the tracks within 3 posts. Real shame.Can't we flag posts and have people banned for inappropriate comments?

Users who are viewing this thread