What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Matt Ryan, IND (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Matt Ryan completed 20-of-31 passes for 219 yards, one touchdown, and zero interceptions in the Falcons' 27-17, Week 10 win over the Bucs.

Quite a disappointing statistical output for Ryan in a dream matchup against a brutal pass defense minus its top cornerback. Ryan could have easily had two more touchdown passes, but badly underthrew Julio Jones on a would-be 48-yard score before Devin Hester later flat-out dropped a 19-yard touchdown. On his score, Ryan hit Roddy White on a drag route/crossing pattern underneath. Ryan gets another tasty matchup in Carolina next week.

Nov 9 - 4:36 PM

how are we feeling about Ryan this sunday? Trying to decide between ryan and Sanchez. Car is looking like s bottom 5 team right now so I am thinking ryan puts some good numbers this week

Ryan was avg vs tb and sux on the road but i still think hes a safe play

Id start him over sanchez. Im debating between ryan and rg3 vs tb and leaning rg3 right now.

Ryan was avg vs tb and sux on the road but i still think hes a safe play

Id start him over sanchez. Im debating between ryan and rg3 vs tb and leaning rg3 right now.
I think washington is going to put up some points. Rg3 looked good to me for his first game back.

how are we feeling about Ryan this sunday? Trying to decide between ryan and Sanchez. Car is looking like s bottom 5 team right now so I am thinking ryan puts some good numbers this week
Tampa stinks Ryan had 1 TD and barely over 200 yds. I have him and won't play him away

SteelerMurf said:
need2know said:
Tampa stinks Ryan had 1 TD and barely over 200 yds. I have him and won't play him away
He should have had at least one more td on a bad drop

How do you value him versus Stafford this week and rest of season?
The both had really good week 1s this year. Since then, they've both pretty much flopped. Ryan is QB16 and Stafford QB17 since week 1.

I was looking at Ryan as a potential buy low opportunity. However, his schedule is pretty rough for most of the rest of the season. I don't think he's likely to turn it around. Seems strange to look at the weekly rankings and continue to see him as a QB1 option. He's just not producing that way this year. He's thrown 7TDs over his last 6 games.

Stafford has a much better remaining schedule, and Calvin is back. Much better chance there I think.

Somehow meathead had been able to coach up the 'fat guys off the street' OL in ATL. Ryan actually has some time to throw. Of course no one is getting open and if they do, they drop the ball. Julio has been a massive disappointment.

Somehow meathead had been able to coach up the 'fat guys off the street' OL in ATL. Ryan actually has some time to throw. Of course no one is getting open and if they do, they drop the ball. Julio has been a massive disappointment.
:lmao:

You like those 3 scrawny TDs? None in the last 7 weeks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryan has been a pretty safe option. Consistently between 18-20 pts every week. No stinkers really. That being said no blowup games since week 1. The thing with Ryan is hes always been awesome at home, terrible on the road and this year is no different. Check his #s they are uncanny. His only bad week at home was vs CHI which is mind boggling. Heres the other weird thing. Hes played ONE home game in the last 8 weeks. Im not crazy about the CLE matchup but since hes home it wouldnt shock me to see him have a good game.

shader said:
lod01 said:
As an owner I'm not laughing. He has been extremely disappointing.

lod01 said:
obv hes produced catches and tds so hes been pretty good in ppr. if those are his worst games of the year, then he is def a worthwhile play. i def agree he has left a lot of fantasy points on the field tho.

hes currently the no9 wr and most ppl drafted him as about the 5th wr off the board so it aint that bad.

lod01 said:
obv hes produced catches and tds so hes been pretty good in ppr. if those are his worst games of the year, then he is def a worthwhile play. i def agree he has left a lot of fantasy points on the field tho.

hes currently the no9 wr and most ppl drafted him as about the 5th wr off the board so it aint that bad.
Standard scoring leagues is where Julio has really been a let down. His catch totals have been high keeping the PPR crowd relatively happy. Pretty hard to compete when you've only scored 3 TDs on the year though. He's WR13 right now in standard. While that may not seem terrible, his production is much more like the WR2 crowd than it is the top end WR1 elites.

There are 14 WRs within a point one way or another of Julio. They all trail the top 4 WRs by 3-5 PPG. I think most of us expected a healthy Julio to perform much more like the top 4 crowd.

so what is everybody doing with him this week? He seems like he should be solid at home even if Julio Jones does not play.Pittsburgh defense is not very good. My other option is Sanchez, who also has a good match up, but I still feel Ryan is easier to trust.

so what is everybody doing with him this week? He seems like he should be solid at home even if Julio Jones does not play.Pittsburgh defense is not very good. My other option is Sanchez, who also has a good match up, but I still feel Ryan is easier to trust.
Have same choice. Very torn not sure yet

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution's D. Orlando Ledbetter said Julio Jones (hip, questionable) "can barely run" and would be a "decoy" if he does play.
Ledbetter went on to say he does not think Jones will be active Week 15 against the Steelers. Jones' playing status likely will not be determined until Sunday morning, but it appears Jones will be at far less than 100 percent even if he suits up. Jones is shaping up as a player to avoid even in an excellent matchup against the Steelers' leaky secondary.
How much are we downgrading Ryan? A dinged Roddy (Q), a dinged Douglas (Q), no real TE. Given the criticalness of this week, is anyone benching Ryan now for other ok options in spite of the nice matchup?

Have same choice. Very torn not sure yet
Make that three! Steelers pass D is so bad, you can go wrong, but the Sanchez switch may be closer than originally thought.

After further review, my league gives -3 for turnovers and I have the feeling sanchez will turn it over some tonight. Plus eagles can win a lot of different ways. Ryan is the atl offense. He will throw it 40 + times. I think even without Julio it's hard to sit ryan in this matchup at home unless you have a top 5 option. Sanchez is not that

JJ officially inactive. Bail on Ryan? RW's Week 15 rankings says Manziel would be a good streamer to replace Ryan with.
No way I sit ryan in a playoff game for a rookie making his first start.
My thinking too. But thanks for affirming.
I am really strugglin with ryan vs sanchez though. Got Ryan in now
Here's my opinion from the Manziel thread with a Sanchez thought tacked on:

Even with JJ out I have a hard time going with Manziel over Ryan. Ryan still has Roddy, who's been playing well lately, and Douglas, who's filled in capably for JJ in the past. Ryan plays well at home, faces a PIT D you can pass on, and has been playing good QB the last few weeks. ATL will be passing; they're not a running team. Meanwhile, Yes, Manziel can run but we've seen little of him other than preseason and part of one game. If it wasn't the FF playoffs maybe.

I would consider starting Manziel over guys like Kaep, Bridgewater, Orton, Eli, Dalton, and McCown.

As for Sanchez, straight up Ryan is a better talent. Also, Dallas can keep the ball away by pounding Murray. Both Sachito and Ryan have favorable matchups: http://www.fftoday.com/stats/fantasystats.php?o=3&PosID=10&Data=Last3&Show1=15&Show2=17&LeagueID=1

I see PHIL however running LeSean a lot like they did vs. Dallas a couple weeks ago. ATL won't have that luxury so I'd lean Ryan.

Matty Ice has been $$ the last few games. It helps that the defense is atrocious.

Falcons OC Kyle Shanahan talks QBs, from Matt Ryan to Johnny Manziel

Excerpt:

Ryan continues to impress Shanahan on a daily basis.

"He has all those intangibles," Shanahan said of Ryan. "He's a big guy who is tall in the pocket. The protection doesn't need to be great and he still makes the play. He can make any throw.

"What I've noticed best about Matt is how good he is with his eyes. He manipulates the defense every play. I think I call a play against a coverage that a guy shouldn't be open on, but he is open because Matt looks people off and helps get people open. It makes it a lot easier to call plays."

Shanahan also pointed to Ryan's underrated athleticism.

"We're not going to run the zone read too much, but he's one of the more athletic quarterbacks I've had in terms of his quickness in the pocket and moving around," Shanahan said. "I don't know about his 40 or his making people miss but in the pocket, he's very athletic to me."

Having a quarterback the caliber of Ryan should help Shanahan implement his offense without issue. Not all such transitions have been seamless.

Matt Ryan’s yards per completion is pretty consistently between 11 and 12, except 2013. Give him 600 Attempts, He’s going to get about 400 completions for 4500ish yards. Not really different from what he’s been doing right along, and not out of line for a Kyle Shanahan offense.

The upside is in the fact that Matt Ryan is the best QB Kyle Shanahan has ever had, and Kyle Shanahan adapts his offense to suit the players.

Most of Shanahan’s more talented QBs have a yards per completion around 12, but last season Hoyer was at 13.7 on 242 attempts. If Ryan managed that, He’d be looking at 5480 yards…or if Kyle decides to throw more since he’s got more talent at QB/WR than he’s ever had, with 425 attempts@12YPC Matt Ryan ends up at 5100 yards.

Matt Ryan offers a nice floor, along with some upside potential this season.

No. And if he does, there's going to be some serious non-Julio value in that passing game that no one is valuing right now.

No. And if he does, there's going to be some serious non-Julio value in that passing game that no one is valuing right now.
It's going to come from the TE spot if it happens... Last year he threw for 4700 - 1600 came from Julio, 900 from Roddy, 500 each from Hester and Harry Douglas which should be replaced by Justin Hardy and Hankerson and the the TE spot. If he gets 500 from Tamme, he's there.

I don't think he gets 500 from Tamme. I think its possible it comes from the RB position, but unlikely.
Why? He just needs someone competent.

When he had Gonzalez he showed he was more than willing to use the TE to move the chains. Toilolo is waiver fodder at best and got half-way to 500.

Users who are viewing this thread