What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Matt Ryan, IND (1 Viewer)

Matty Ice is on the wire in one 10 man league I am in, I dropped him weeks ago, and no one has touched him.

Interestingly enough, this is a league where invariably a few teams will have two QBs also.

In another 12 man league, I dropped him a week ago, and he still sits on the wire there too.

I owned him last year on one championship team, and I knew he was hit and miss. Owning him can be frustrating.

Next year, I doubt I will have any shares of him anymore.

Seemed like he was one of those "mid to later" round QBs you could always grab and get fair value, when a bunch of those big names were gone.

I don't know I am looking to fade his bad weeks anymore, and his "value grab" years might just be over.

I know the team will likely try and improve him and the scenario, as he is obviously their guy.

Maybe he will be in a better position next season. Perhaps they get a better line, work on the problems etc.

I just don't see owning him anymore though, in standard 10 or 12 team leagues.

Looks like he is currently QB19 in standard, heading into the playoffs.

No thanks.

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Ryan has tried to improve his footwork this offseason by practicing in front of a mirror.
Ryan has used the mirror to work on his timing after a career-worst 2015 season that included just 21 touchdowns and 16 interceptions. The 31-year-old still completed over 66 percent of his passes, so he doesn't need to overhaul his approach. The Falcons remain thin at wide receiver behind Julio Jones, though offseason signing Mohamed Sanu should be an improvement on Roddy White, who had nothing left last year.

Source: atlantafalcons.com 
Jun 22 - 5:21 PM

What kills me about Ryan is I still think he could be elite, given the right circumstances. 

I fear ATL has not created the right circumstances. 

Or maybe I overrated him. One f the two. But he's had complete games - He's looked elite in spurts. 

Not sure what to expect this year. 

update?

Many Falcons fans believe this system is finally a system that fits Ryan.  He's currently the numero uno QB.
Unbelievable.   I had this turd last year and he did nothing.   He still sucks though... pretty sure Matt Stafford has finished as a Top 5 QB before 

Unbelievable.   I had this turd last year and he did nothing.   He still sucks though... pretty sure Matt Stafford has finished as a Top 5 QB before 
Ryan always showed flashes. He's never had this many weapons or a team that could run effectively. 

He also reportedly spent the offseason working on the deep pass. Looks like it's paid off.

say what you will about the dude, he's putting up monster numbers.   Before it was "yeah, hat was against the Saints & Raiders - just wait until he sees CAR & DEN.  Yeah - won those games too. 503 yards against CAR with a 300 yard receiver. 

Like him or hate him, Matt Ryan is having a career season. I expected him to be this good when I drafted him in 2013, 2014 & 2015 as my "free fall QB". Never came together - and last year I thought he'd regressed with all the red zone ints. 

This year he looks like he's got something figured out. Dominating performances. 

Didn't they start good last year and then fizzled out?  I am not buying him being this good all year
He wasn't anywhere near this good. Lots of red zone interceptions,  wasn't hitting Jjones on the deep passes, was struggling with his check downs and the OL wasn't anywhere near this solid. 

I had to start him much of last year and watched him often - it's night and day compared to how he looks this year. 

I am drinking the koolade. 

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
Anybody getting even a little nervous about him regressing a bit as the season goes on?  Would have thought the matchup vs Sd at home would have yielded way more points for him. Mediocre stat line and it could have easily been worse with at least one more possible pick that Sd dropped.  

How are Ryan owners feeling this week and going forward?

Anybody getting even a little nervous about him regressing a bit as the season goes on?  Would have thought the matchup vs Sd at home would have yielded way more points for him. Mediocre stat line and it could have easily been worse with at least one more possible pick that Sd dropped.  

How are Ryan owners feeling this week and going forward?
They stalled in (or near) the redzone 3 times as usual when I start him. That was a 4 TD game that he should have had.

They stalled in (or near) the redzone 3 times as usual when I start him. That was a 4 TD game that he should have had.
Which was his biggest problem last year as well.  The yards are always there every year. What made him an excellent start earlier this season was the TDs.  Good point!

Which was his biggest problem last year as well.  The yards are always there every year. What made him an excellent start earlier this season was the TDs.  Good point!
He doesn't have an easy schedule going forward either and N.O. is week 17 so that one is meaningless in my leagues.

Ryan doing his typical late season cool down, Jones and Sanu both battling injuries.  Anybody concerned with this trip to L.A.?  Plan B for me is Carr at Arrowhead tonight.  Coin toss . . . :kicksrock:

Quinn is no idiot. I believe he'll find a good replace for Shanny jr. and run the same offense. Def.will be better also and help take some burden off his shoulders and just play ball.

Matt Ryan's 2016 touchdown rate (touchdowns/pass attempts) of 7.1 percent was nearly two full percentage points above his previous career high and 2.6 percent higher than Ryan's previous career average.

Whereas Ryan was a prime progression candidate entering 2016, he is a major regression candidate for 2017. Prior to last season, Ryan had never before finished above the fantasy QB7 in a nearly decade-long career. Ryan has now lost OC Kyle Shanahan, and Julio Jones underwent his third known left-foot surgery in March. You can read more about Ryan's 2017 outlook in Evan Silva's Falcons Fantasy Preview, accessible at the link below.

Source: Falcons Fantasy Preview

I'm not getting why Ryan seems to be such a popular regression target for 2017.  I get that folks are not predicting him to be as efficient as he was last year.  There was a level of crazy to his play that does scream 'career year'.  But...

1) He finished 17th in the NFL with 534 pass attempts.  If he replicates that, it's likely because the Falcons offense is operating at close to the same level of efficiency.  If his attempts go up, Ryan hasn't had a completion rate of below 66% since 2011.

2) OLine - yes, the Falcons were fortunate to have their OL start as a unit in every game.  But with that said, for most of Ryan's career, the Falcons OL has not been nearly as highly regarded as it is now.  

3) Weapons - in Ryan's career worst season in 2015, his #2 option was Roddy White...a clearly diminished, no one invited him to camp in 2016' Roddy White.  Devonta Freeman was just emerging as a legit foundational RB and Tevin Coleman was a rookie.  Fast forward to 2017, the Falcons:

- still have Julio...in his prime.

- Sanu, while maybe not a fantasy asset is a fine compliment on the other side.  (Just an FYI, he may be having the best TC of any Falcon).

- the receiving capabaility of the Falcons backfield is unparalleled.. Freeman/Coleman combined for 85/883/5 in 2016.  Both of them entering their prime.

- Taylor Gabriel was a gift via the WW who provided a jitterbug speed quotient to the Falcons offense.

- 2nd year TE, Austin Hooper has the opportunity to make that Year 1 to Year 2 leap.

I certainly understand the loss of Shanahan...but Ryan is entering his 10th year in the NFL.  So he knows the league/defenses/coverages etc...as well as the best in the game.  He's in his prime.  His floor is high as is his ceiling.  

So why is he such a popular 'avoid this guy' candidate?

Users who are viewing this thread