Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
voiceofunreason

Official Sam Bradford - QB

I posted this in the Bears thread as well, but as unlikely as it may be, how about Bradford for Brandon Marshal?

Rotoworld:

When asked about Sam Bradford, Rams coach Jeff Fisher said "we're counting on him."

Rumors have been swirling around Bradford all offseason, but this quote should put those to rest. Fisher points out Bradford has gone 5-2-1 against NFC West opponents during his tenure in St. Louis. He's definitely injury-prone and expensive, but the Rams aren't going to find a better quarterback than Bradford in the draft or free agency.
Feb 20 - 11:39 AM

I posted this in the Bears thread as well, but as unlikely as it may be, how about Bradford for Brandon Marshal?

I own them both in dynasty and I don't like it. Good for Bradford (my backup), awful for Marshall.

Rotoworld:

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports the Browns will "take a real run" at trying to trade for Sam Bradford.

Relaying Combine buzz, Cole reports Bradford is at the "top of the (Browns') list," with free agent Josh McCown as a fallback option. Cole floats a second- or third-round pick as potential trade compensation. Bradford has reportedly informed the Rams he will not take a pay cut, which may complicate his future in St. Louis. If he falls out of the Rams' plans -- which still seems unlikely -- the Browns would love to be there to catch him.
Related: Browns
Feb 20 - 2:51 PM

Faust's posts here or roto or whatever came in the wrong order. It was a trade rumor that Cleveland would offer a 2nd or 3rd and then Fisher said the trade rumor was inaccurate and that he is personally betting on Bradford in 2015 which then lead to people chatting hmmm if Bradford fails will that cost Fish his job?

(Love ya Faust and thanks for all you do, I understand your process here, just clarifying)

It reads like the Rams first contract offer was to say Sam we won't give you any more money and instead want you to play the next two years for free. (Is 16 mil, offer 3 years 15 mil) I assume it's time for Bradford's agent to counter and the whole process to get rolling.

My guess is he'll get 7 mil per for 3 years and the Rams will have incentives and ways out of it written in.

Somewhere amidst this is Bradford having to accept that he is not currently worth 15 mil per year and that'll hurt his ego some and...usually this is also part of the process.

Everything reads like nothing new just lowball first offer

Rotoworld:

Yahoo's Rand Getlin reports the Bills are "pursuing a trade" for Sam Bradford.

League sources tell Getlin the Bills' new coaching staff believes Bradford can "maximize the value of their wide receivers and help them win now." In theory, Bradford is certainly an upgrade on E.J. Manuel, but he's an injury-prone mess currently due $13 million. That, coupled with the fact that the Bills only have six 2015 draft picks makes a trade extremely unlikely. Most signs have suggested Bradford will get yet another shot at establishing himself under center in St. Louis.
Related: Bills
Feb 24 - 2:13 PM

Rotoworld:

A "source in the know" tells the Buffalo News that the Bills are not pursuing Sam Bradford.

A story followed by a denial is a standard ### for tat in the offseason rumor mill, but this contradiction comes barely 30 minutes after the initial report. We definitely tend to believe the "Bills are not pursuing Bradford" line of thinking. SB Nation's Ryan Van Bibber is likely on the money in his guess that the report is little more than an effort from Bradford's camp to gain leverage in extension talks with the Rams.
Feb 24 - 2:43 PM

Is all this interest just an indication of how terrible the QB situation is in Buff and Cle? I mean, Bradford is dominating the headlines today. You'd think the Bears cut Cutler or the Cowboys parted ways with Romo or something.

Rotoworld:

WGR 550 Buffalo calls the Sam Bradford/Bills rumor "nothing but smoke."

Joe Buscaglia's report comes via "multiple people." The report has now been shot down from all sides, including the Rams. Too much would have to happen for the deal to make sense for either side. Bradford's most likely endgame remains remaining with the Rams on a reworked contract.
Feb 24 - 3:55 PM

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports "no team" has contacted the Rams about trading for Sam Bradford.

Rapsheet's report comes via "sources informed of situation." Tuesday afternoon's Bradford-to-the-Bills rumor has been thoroughly debunked, and was likely the product of Bradford's camp as he tries to avoid a pay cut in St. Louis. Bradford's $13 million salary, injury history and come-and-go effectiveness conspire to make his trade market almost nonexistent.
Source: NFL.com
Feb 24 - 4:56 PM

Why would Bradford ever take a pay cut? Especially with his injury history? Just force the Rams hand--they'll keep you or cut you. Either way you're getting another shot after your Rams tenure is up.

Why would Bradford ever take a pay cut? Especially with his injury history? Just force the Rams hand--they'll keep you or cut you. Either way you're getting another shot after your Rams tenure is up.

Seems like that is his plan so he can pick the team he wants to go to. As my backup FF QB, I would like him far away from Jeff Fisher. Don't like Buffalo because come playoff time, the weather blows up there. The Jets have nothing to work with. Houston would be ideal. The division is weak.

Has Bradford ever been in a west coast style offense? I don't think so? - How do you all think he would do in such a system?

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

Maybe if the Rams start a few more fake rumors some team will be dumb enough to trade for him, but I highly doubt it.

You really think this is the Rams, who have categorically denied every rumor, and not the overzealous media who have to be the first to Twitter with everything?

Maybe if the Rams start a few more fake rumors some team will be dumb enough to trade for him, but I highly doubt it.

You really think this is the Rams, who have categorically denied every rumor, and not the overzealous media who have to be the first to Twitter with everything?

I think the Rams would love to get a couple of teams in a bidding war and hope they can get a 1st rounder out of it. And when do teams admit to shopping players currently on their roster? A denial is meaningless.

Has Bradford ever been in a west coast style offense? I don't think so? - How do you all think he would do in such a system?

His rookie year.

I think the Rams would love to get a couple of teams in a bidding war and hope they can get a 1st rounder out of it. And when do teams admit to shopping players currently on their roster? A denial is meaningless.

They hired their QB coach for the past 3 years as the new OC. I'm not buying trade rumors based on that. They will give Bradford one more chance.

There's no chance in hell they get a 1st rounder so they aren't moving him. They know it. The rest of the league knows it. Some guys with twitter accounts see a possible fit with a couple other teams, make some crap up and now we have the Rams making up trade rumors.

Giving up a 1st for Bradfoed would be a huge risk only for injury. But thereturns could be huge. The guy has the talent. He put up good numbers in 2012 when you consider he was throwing to throwing to superstars like Chris Givens, Brandon Gibson and Steve Smith. His #1 WR was Amendola for 11 games. Amendola is a 3rd down slot WR at best.

His rookie year.

Yep, under current Philadelphia OC and former Browns HC Pat Shurmur and Shurmur really likes Bradford. Also Bradford really liked and started to make progress late in his rookie season in the WC and it looked like he would really develop but then Shurmur bolted for the Browns and the Rams went with a totally different offensive system and he's never really shown the same potential.

When Shurmur was with the Browns, Cleveland even tried to trade for Bradford since they missed out trading up for RG III that year.

So now Shurmur is in Philadelphia and he's their OC. Hmnn the same guy who has worked well with Sam and who wanted to trade for him a few years back when the asking price was far higher.

The Rams are the last team to be straddled with a contract before the collective bargaining rookie wage scale went into effect so Bradford is ridiculously overpaid for his production. If the Rams can trade him for anything they would come out ahead.

I don't think they could never get a 1st round pick for him due to the fact his contract is insane and his well-known injury history and I think its no sure bet they could get a 2nd round pick for him but I will say that since the Eagles have Pat Shurmur as their OC, don't rule out Philadelphia making a run at him.

Giving up a 1st for Bradfoed would be a huge risk only for injury. But thereturns could be huge. The guy has the talent. He put up good numbers in 2012 when you consider he was throwing to throwing to superstars like Chris Givens, Brandon Gibson and Steve Smith. His #1 WR was Amendola for 11 games. Amendola is a 3rd down slot WR at best.

It isn't only injury, he's making $13mil this year and is a FA after. There is zero chance they get anything close to a 1st unless he signs an insanely cheap extension first, which he obviously isn't going to do.

There's no chance in hell they get a 1st rounder so they aren't moving him. They know it. The rest of the league knows it. Some guys with twitter accounts see a possible fit with a couple other teams, make some crap up and now we have the Rams making up trade rumors.

So you don't think there's a chance they believe Cleveland is dumb enough to give them a first? Desperate and a long history of horrible decisions at qb. You don't think they'd even call them and hope they bite, then maybe throw some Buffalo rumors into the media for leverage? Remember this is a team that punked the Redskins last year with all the RG3 players. Wouldn't surprise me at all if somebody gave up a 2016 first. Another year like this and the Cleveland GM will be fired so it's irrelevant for him.

Longer he sits out the more people seem to forget that he was a bad qb when healthy. That's the real problem imo.

Your memory is the one that's failing - he was playing well in 2013 when his best receiver was Chris Givens.

• Like 1

So you don't think there's a chance they believe Cleveland is dumb enough to give them a first? Desperate and a long history of horrible decisions at qb. You don't think they'd even call them and hope they bite, then maybe throw some Buffalo rumors into the media for leverage? Remember this is a team that punked the Redskins last year with all the RG3 players. Wouldn't surprise me at all if somebody gave up a 2016 first. Another year like this and the Cleveland GM will be fired so it's irrelevant for him.

It's Cleveland, so yeah, anything is possible. However, I find it unlikely given that Bradford has a huge salary and would need to be given a new long-term deal to ensure he doesn't leave as a free agent next year.

It seems their best option is to let him play out the contract and if he plays well, franchise him. It seems they are not in a good position.

That wasn't last year that the Rams punked the Skins. And they weren't punked. That was the going rate for a guy rated as a franchise QB. The problem is guys even drafted 2nd overall still only have about a 50/50 chance of panning out. Saying they punked the Skins can only be done through hind sight of the guy not working out so well yet.

That was a reference to the coin flip before the WAS game last season.

That was a reference to the coin flip before the WAS game last season.

Ohhhhh, yeah that was brilliant. Totally forgot about that!

Chris Weinke was signed to be the Rams QB coach

Rotoworld:

New Rams QBs coach Chris Weinke says Sam Bradford is the second-best quarterback he's ever evaluated coming out of college.

That's behind only Andrew Luck. We're obviously not concerned with Weinke's draft evaluations, but the more Rams coaches talk up Bradford, the more apparent it becomes he's going to remain in St. Louis.
Feb 26 - 3:22 PM

I think the Rams would love to get a couple of teams in a bidding war and hope they can get a 1st 7th rounder out of it. And when do teams admit to shopping players currently on their roster? A denial is meaningless.

FYP

Rotoworld:

The Browns reportedly tried trading for Sam Bradford before he was shipped to the Eagles in the Nick Foles deal.

Despite coming off back-to-back ACL tears, there was a multi-team market for Bradford's services. The Philadelphia Inquirer is somewhat noncommittal, but tentatively expects the Eagles to keep Bradford and start him in 2015, as opposed to using Bradford as a trade chip to move up and draft Marcus Mariota. We'll believe Bradford is staying in Philly if the sides strike a restructured contract. Bradford's 2015 base salary of $12.985 million is entirely unreasonable for a player of his injury-riddled and largely ineffective pedigree.
Related: Browns
Mar 10 - 10:48 PM

Rotoworld:

According to PhiladelphiaEagles.com, coach/GM Chip Kelly identified Sam Bradford as a "special talent who can make this offense soar."

The Eagles' website says the team studied Bradford "very, very extensively" before Tuesday's trade, and believe he's a player with "special accuracy, touch and a big arm." Chip's in-house website still believes Bradford is capable of making "every throw from every position on the field." All team-produced materials should be taken with a grain of salt, but it's gushing that should give at least a little pause to the idea that Philly only acquired Bradford to flip him in a potential trade up for Marcus Mariota.
Mar 11 - 12:15 AM

Rotoworld:

According to PhiladelphiaEagles.com, coach/GM Chip Kelly identified Sam Bradford as a "special talent who can make this offense soar."

The Eagles' website says the team studied Bradford "very, very extensively" before Tuesday's trade, and believe he's a player with "special accuracy, touch and a big arm." Chip's in-house website still believes Bradford is capable of making "every throw from every position on the field." All team-produced materials should be taken with a grain of salt, but it's gushing that should give at least a little pause to the idea that Philly only acquired Bradford to flip him in a potential trade up for Marcus Mariota.

I would hope Chip would say this after getting completely fleeced.

His rookie year.

Yep, under current Philadelphia OC and former Browns HC Pat Shurmur and Shurmur really likes Bradford. Also Bradford really liked and started to make progress late in his rookie season in the WC and it looked like he would really develop but then Shurmur bolted for the Browns and the Rams went with a totally different offensive system and he's never really shown the same potential.

When Shurmur was with the Browns, Cleveland even tried to trade for Bradford since they missed out trading up for RG III that year.

So now Shurmur is in Philadelphia and he's their OC. Hmnn the same guy who has worked well with Sam and who wanted to trade for him a few years back when the asking price was far higher.

The Rams are the last team to be straddled with a contract before the collective bargaining rookie wage scale went into effect so Bradford is ridiculously overpaid for his production. If the Rams can trade him for anything they would come out ahead.

I don't think they could never get a 1st round pick for him due to the fact his contract is insane and his well-known injury history and I think its no sure bet they could get a 2nd round pick for him but I will say that since the Eagles have Pat Shurmur as their OC, don't rule out Philadelphia making a run at him.

Good call.

Rotoworld:

I would hope Chip would say this after getting completely fleeced.

I think the bigger problem is the knees, not the arm. Here's hoping he will be well protected by the PHI OL

Rotoworld:

Going back to his final season at Oklahoma, Sam Bradford has appeared in just 52 of a possible 93 games.

The Rams struggled to surround Bradford with weapons and impressive coaching staffs, but it was ultimately his lack of durability that rendered his St. Louis tenure such a frustrating question mark. Eagles football czar Chip Kelly appears genuinely ahead of the curve when it comes to keeping his players healthy, but Bradford will be his toughest case yet. Bradford has the tools to succeed if he can somehow stay on the field.
Mar 12 - 6:32 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Josina Anderson passes along buzz from West Virginia's pro day Friday that "some coaches" in attendance are "not convinced" the Eagles will keep Sam Bradford.

There's some belief in league circles that Bradford will be used as trade bait to get to the Titans at No. 2 overall and give coach Chip Kelly a chance to select Marcus Mariota. Kelly has stated numerous times how high he is on his former college quarterback. As we've learned with Kelly, he has no fear and isn't scared to make bold, complicated football decisions. It's anyone's guess as to what he'll do.
Related: Titans
Mar 15 - 12:12 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Josina Anderson passes along buzz from West Virginia's pro day Friday that "some coaches" in attendance are "not convinced" the Eagles will keep Sam Bradford.

There's some belief in league circles that Bradford will be used as trade bait to get to the Titans at No. 2 overall and give coach Chip Kelly a chance to select Marcus Mariota. Kelly has stated numerous times how high he is on his former college quarterback. As we've learned with Kelly, he has no fear and isn't scared to make bold, complicated football decisions. It's anyone's guess as to what he'll do.

You don't trade for a QB hoping to move him to a specific team during the draft. If a deal gets done with the Titans it was already completed verbally when the Eagles traded for Bradford.

If they do that, I will wonder if Bradford was used to entice Murray and what transpired there too

If they do that, I will wonder if Bradford was used to entice Murray and what transpired there too

Which is why I don't see it happening. I know it is a business, but that would be cold to Murray. :) There is no mention of PHI sourced intel in the blurb, so it is pretty much indistinguishable from rampant speculation. There are many people who found the trade inconceivable*, so this is one way they continue to try and wrap their mind around it's wake (and tidal wave-sized undertow).

* INCONCEIVABLE (don't get into land wars in Asia, battle of wits with Sicilians when life is on the line, or pay extra acquiring QBs coming off consecutive torn ACLs)!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_eZmEiyTo0

** If Bradford comes back from two torn ACLs it might be unprecedented, but I'm not sure there has been a CHANCE for a precedent. Kind of hard to calculate the odds. Its not like this has happened dozens of times, and X percentage have failed. Maybe RG3 is one of the closest, with two torn ACLs (but with a lot of time in between), and that isn't promising, but he is a running QB, so robbing him of his wheels is perhaps more devastating. Bradford never ran much, though Freelove brought up good points about lower body power and explosion being a very important piece of the throwing motion kinetic chain puzzle.

I love conspiracy theories but there is so many holes in their logic that I can't buy it. And I really want to believe it.

• Like 1

His rookie year.

Damn this is good work by you. Well done.

Rotoworld:

I don't even think the Titans should be even a part of the trade equation. IMO, Mariota will easily fall past them and just judging by Whisenhunt's past selections I don't think he wants anything to do with Bradford. If people want to believe that Bradford is a pawn in Chips game, they will have to think the deal would take place between Eagles and the Browns at 12. The Browns have consistently shown interest in Bradford. Draft people think it is "inconceivable" that Mariota could fall that far but stranger things have happened.

Edited by Donnybrook