What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Sam Bradford - QB (3 Viewers)

Bradford is horrible. Zero instincts. Really. First pass of the game designed screen to Mathews in the flat. LInebacker standing in the middle, right between Sam's goofy eyes. Normal quarterback thinks "hmm, not a good idea, let me go through progressions". Sam throws it. Lucky it wasn't picked. He does it all the time. Fixated on targets, zero ability to improvise. They'd be better off with Foles or Sanchez. I know what I said.
At times he looked oddly comfortable as the line stunk. He also looked stressed and pressured but, not every time. I wonder if the Rams got him used to it.Announcers pointed out the WRs being wrong several times and another was all him.

Sounds like a new QB on a new team to me.

Just outside the top ten in yards. 9 to 9 isn't good.

Second half of games have been nice though

The O is piling up points lately. No team makes a change when that is happening. Fix that line first
I agree that it looks like he just doesn't have it. Good but nowhere near great pocket awareness, struggles reading the defense and not a lot of touch on the ball when he does. Seems like the guy has been hurt his entire career and was surprised to see he has 55 starts in the league. Should be further along IMO.
When's the last time the Eagles fans liked a QB?
I like Foles but most fans hated him for winning games.
Really? I didn't get that vibe. I thought the majority of fans felt that Foles could eventually become the franchise QB if he could stay healthy. I feel like it was after he left town that fans started ripping him (because they thought they had a flashier car in Bradford). I just don't recall a lot of criticism towards Foles from Eagles fans on this board or even the sports talk callers when Foles was still with the team.
I don't think anyone hated Foles. I think the town loved him after his 2013 season. But it was immediately evident at the start of 2014 that the previous year was smoke and mirrors. I think people felt more let down than they did disdain for him. There wasn't much of a dropoff when he went down and Sanchez came in. That's when I realized that he was just an average QB. But I never disliked him,. Still don't.
After 2013 the vibe I perceived most about Foles from fans was a very guarded optimism, but a reluctance to fully commit. Part of that was because he didn't what was at the time the media archetype of a "Chip Kelly QB"The hesitance to commit was vindicated the next season as Foles regressed. I didn't like the value of the trade for Bradford but I also wasn't upset that Foles was moved, though I hope he does well for the Rams
And most people didn't buy that he regressed. It was more a product of running for his life the first 4 weeks behind 4 backup OLinemen and getting a chest injury from being sat on in the Washington game. THAT'S what pissed me off. People act like 27-2 was a mirage because of bad oline play and since Foles was knocked out for the year after starting 6-2, he never got the chance to refute those nay Sayers.

Bradford is horrible. Zero instincts. Really. First pass of the game designed screen to Mathews in the flat. LInebacker standing in the middle, right between Sam's goofy eyes. Normal quarterback thinks "hmm, not a good idea, let me go through progressions". Sam throws it. Lucky it wasn't picked. He does it all the time. Fixated on targets, zero ability to improvise. They'd be better off with Foles or Sanchez. I know what I said.
At times he looked oddly comfortable as the line stunk. He also looked stressed and pressured but, not every time. I wonder if the Rams got him used to it.Announcers pointed out the WRs being wrong several times and another was all him.

The O is piling up points lately. No team makes a change when that is happening. Fix that line first
I agree that it looks like he just doesn't have it. Good but nowhere near great pocket awareness, struggles reading the defense and not a lot of touch on the ball when he does. Seems like the guy has been hurt his entire career and was surprised to see he has 55 starts in the league. Should be further along IMO.
Really? I didn't get that vibe. I thought the majority of fans felt that Foles could eventually become the franchise QB if he could stay healthy. I feel like it was after he left town that fans started ripping him (because they thought they had a flashier car in Bradford). I just don't recall a lot of criticism towards Foles from Eagles fans on this board or even the sports talk callers when Foles was still with the team.
I don't think anyone hated Foles. I think the town loved him after his 2013 season. But it was immediately evident at the start of 2014 that the previous year was smoke and mirrors. I think people felt more let down than they did disdain for him. There wasn't much of a dropoff when he went down and Sanchez came in. That's when I realized that he was just an average QB. But I never disliked him,. Still don't.
After 2013 the vibe I perceived most about Foles from fans was a very guarded optimism, but a reluctance to fully commit. Part of that was because he didn't what was at the time the media archetype of a "Chip Kelly QB"The hesitance to commit was vindicated the next season as Foles regressed. I didn't like the value of the trade for Bradford but I also wasn't upset that Foles was moved, though I hope he does well for the Rams
And most people didn't buy that he regressed. It was more a product of running for his life the first 4 weeks behind 4 backup OLinemen and getting a chest injury from being sat on in the Washington game. THAT'S what pissed me off. People act like 27-2 was a mirage because of bad oline play and since Foles was knocked out for the year after starting 6-2, he never got the chance to refute those nay Sayers.
Well he's having his chance this year and he looks like the guy we saw last year. He hasn't improved.

Well he's having his chance this year and he looks like the guy we saw last year. He hasn't improved.
Sure give Bradford all the excuses in the world for Learning a new offense blah blah blah but Nick looks average in a Jeff Fisher 1980's offense for 5 games and again he's "who we saw."

He didn't even play last year so I don't see the comparisons. And if we are trying to compare to his 2013 season, he was having a very good season before he got hurt. 90.1 rating, 14 TD's, 4 INT's in 7 games. Please stop with the same old Sam Bradford, he sucks commentary.

I'm not going to apologize for him. He has made some bad throws and even worse reads this year, but... hardly a bum. Did everyone expect he'd jump into Chip Kelly's system and be the greatest show on turf overnight?

Happily dropped for Martavis Bryant. He might be able to turn it around but I think it will be a rough one if he brings a sloppy game to Carolina. Bradford needs to play a mistake free efficient game this week or it could disintegrate quickly.

He didn't even play last year so I don't see the comparisons. And if we are trying to compare to his 2013 season, he was having a very good season before he got hurt. 90.1 rating, 14 TD's, 4 INT's in 7 games. Please stop with the same old Sam Bradford, he sucks commentary.

I'm not going to apologize for him. He has made some bad throws and even worse reads this year, but... hardly a bum. Did everyone expect he'd jump into Chip Kelly's system and be the greatest show on turf overnight?
Pretty much

Pretty much
They looked really good in the preseason and it seemed to be clicking on all cylinders. Then the media jumped on board and put him in the MVP conversation.

Pretty much
They looked really good in the preseason and it seemed to be clicking on all cylinders. Then the media jumped on board and put him in the MVP conversation.
This is a big part of the problem. When we first traded for him, the talk was all about whether or not he could stay healthy. Then there was trepidation about whether or not he'd be healed in time. Then he had a decent game against Baltimore and a monster game against Green Bay. So suddenly there was talk about how great this offense looked and how tough we'd be to beat. And as a diehard Eagles fan, it really increased my excitement too.

As the regular season started, and the offense looked putrid in the first half of the Atlanta game, we realized quickly how irrelevant preseason is. Even the magical third week. At this point, it would take a perfect game for Eagles fans to be pleased with Bradford. He was 10 for 10 in that Green Bay game, so I imagine 25 for 25 might be considered acceptable. Although even then, I'm sure people would criticize the look on his face or that he looks uncomfortable in the pocket.

Pretty much
This is a big part of the problem. When we first traded for him, the talk was all about whether or not he could stay healthy. Then there was trepidation about whether or not he'd be healed in time. Then he had a decent game against Baltimore and a monster game against Green Bay. So suddenly there was talk about how great this offense looked and how tough we'd be to beat. And as a diehard Eagles fan, it really increased my excitement too.As the regular season started, and the offense looked putrid in the first half of the Atlanta game, we realized quickly how irrelevant preseason is. Even the magical third week. At this point, it would take a perfect game for Eagles fans to be pleased with Bradford. He was 10 for 10 in that Green Bay game, so I imagine 25 for 25 might be considered acceptable. Although even then, I'm sure people would criticize the look on his face or that he looks uncomfortable in the pocket.
Funny I read Foles in place of Bradford in all these spots and 27-2 in place of "Green Bay preseason game". Yet 27-2 happened during the regular season and very few seemed to jump to Nick's defense like this.

Pretty much
This is a big part of the problem. When we first traded for him, the talk was all about whether or not he could stay healthy. Then there was trepidation about whether or not he'd be healed in time. Then he had a decent game against Baltimore and a monster game against Green Bay. So suddenly there was talk about how great this offense looked and how tough we'd be to beat. And as a diehard Eagles fan, it really increased my excitement too.As the regular season started, and the offense looked putrid in the first half of the Atlanta game, we realized quickly how irrelevant preseason is. Even the magical third week. At this point, it would take a perfect game for Eagles fans to be pleased with Bradford. He was 10 for 10 in that Green Bay game, so I imagine 25 for 25 might be considered acceptable. Although even then, I'm sure people would criticize the look on his face or that he looks uncomfortable in the pocket.
Funny I read Foles in place of Bradford in all these spots and 27-2 in place of "Green Bay preseason game". Yet 27-2 happened during the regular season and very few seemed to jump to Nick's defense like this.
I wasn't bashing Foles last year. I'm not that kind of fan. I'll make off-season suggestions. Maybe criticize a move or two, but when the games start, I'm rooting for our guys. And that included Foles.

So what's your suggestion? Trade for Rodgers? Let's hear it.

Last edited by a moderator:
RGIII might be interesting next year after the Redskins cut him IMO.
For the 12 snaps he survives until he hurts himself again. RG3 will be out of football by 2017. He's not the answer. For anyone.

Now some people have suggested Kaepernick. That's interesting. Because of the run threat and the options that gives the offense. But if Bradford's inaccuracy irritates, Kaep will infuriate.

Eagles and 49ers can swap QB's next year.
oh God. Please no. Kaep is getting worse and worse. Anyone else but him. He's terrible.
Wouldn't be surprised if Chip traded a 2nd rounder for him this off season since he has no clue what value is.
if having a running QB is that important, they'd be better off making Ryan Matthews the quarterback. He's a better runner than Kaep and can probably read defenses and throw just as well.

IMHO he didn't play great last night, but not bad either. He threw the ball away several times to avoid sacks, often after rolling out to either side to extend the play. CAR got LOTS of penetration, especially after LT Peters left the game. He made mostly the right decisions on where to throw the ball but got little to no help from his WR/TE. Officially 7 drops, but watching the game, there were 4-6 more that *could* have been caught. Drops are subjective and for crying out loud I saw other WRs like Na Brown make Cam look better on the same 'minor inaccuracies' where the ball was high/behind a half step. Bradford hit players in the hands, if a little behind or high or whatever, but it goes both ways. He scrambled on a key 4th down and dove to convert it, rather than force a bad throw. Gutsy, and the right call in converting on a key drive. The INT wasn't a perfect pass, but again... right through the WRs hands and a gift for the LB who was making a tackle on the play and it fell into his lap. Jordan Matthews made little to no effort to get his second foot down on a TD catch. Josh Norman makes a great play to break up another TD opportunity.

Bradford wasn't good, but it was/is better than the box score and IMO he played well enough to win with that D and running game... but he's a limited QB who needs help from his WRs/TEs and right now, it's not happening. Matthews has been terrible. Agholor has been terrible and now he's hurt. Riley Cooper and Miles Austin flat out stink. Josh Huff hasn't done anything to make him worth starting. Sam's just not good enough to elevate mediocre talent in the passing game. Guys are not open, so he checks down to RBs and throws it away lots. Kills the YPA. 10 picks and IIRC 4 (FOUR!) are off or through WRs hands, starting week 1 v ATL w/Matthews.

Sanchez wouldn't be better, watching him last season. Outside on Turkey Day against Dallas, he is what he is. Choosing between the two is a lose-lose at this point.

So many drops last night that would have continued drives or gotten them six (Huff's in the endzone). I've never seen anything like it. Last night was the worst, but it's been all season.

If WR's catch balls that hit them in the hands:70% completion percentage. 0 picks.

Once again you weren't watching the game. Goodnight.
Yeah, last night was in no way on Bradford. His WRs let him down, big time. 7 drops? Is that the official number? It seemed like more than that. Overall I thought he played well. He missed a couple of throws, should have had a TD to Ertz. Everyone misses throws in a game, though.

Feel pretty fortunate that there were so many drops. Philly probably wins if not.

Sure give Bradford all the excuses in the world for Learning a new offense blah blah blah but Nick looks average in a Jeff Fisher 1980's offense for 5 games and again he's "who we saw."
Bradford is the only first round bust at QB, that doesn't face any heat from his team's fan-base, in fact they have always and continue to make excuses for him. For a terrible QB (ETA: "terrible is probably too harsh, damn now I'm making excuses for him) he sure lives a charmed life from the viewpoint of not facing the ire of his teams' fans like all other bust QBs have.

I mean I know he doesn't have the mobility Chip likes or works with the system, but a guy like Mike Glennon is still somehow warming a bench in Tampa...

He hasnt gotten his contract yet right? I'm guessing next year he segues into Marc Sanchez premium backup QB class and the Eagles try again. Just watching that offense I can see how a mobile QB could make a difference. As the season progresses it seems odd that Kelly went with Bradford. It seems to me even a moneyball QB (Taylor? Lewis?) with more mobility would have made more sense.

ANALYSIS STRENGTHS Bradford has ideal height and good mobility. Exceptionally accurate with a quick release. Possesses great balance and steps into his throws. Has quick feet to sidestep the rush and the toughness to stand in the pocket and take a hit. Makes good decisions and uses an effective pump fake. Very competitive and a strong leader. Extremely productive and successful in college.
WEAKNESSES Coming off shoulder injury on his throwing arm. Needs to add bulk to withstand the pounding at the next level. Uses a three-quarter delivery that may lead to batted balls. Has a tendency to hold on to the ball too long.
have fun with this 2010 player analysis report I dug up from nfl's website

maybe this is what chip used and not game tape when he traded for him? red means wrong, green means right based on 2015

Bradford is the only first round bust at QB, that doesn't face any heat from his team's fan-base, in fact they have always and continue to make excuses for him. For a terrible QB (ETA: "terrible is probably too harsh, damn now I'm making excuses for him) he sure lives a charmed life from the viewpoint of not facing the ire of his teams' fans like all other bust QBs have.
Ummmm...not facing the ire of his team's fans?

How many decades has it been since you've spent time in the Philadelphia area?

lol. Yeah really. 90% of Philly fans have been killing Bradford since his first incompletion in game one.

Reading the Eagles thread here it seems like they all (well most of them) make excuses for him.

Haven't been to Philly since St. Patrick's Day 2014 (when I fell face first into the sidewalk, clearly not the City's fault ;) ) or what is also known as BB (Before Bradford) - my Eagle fan buddy does hate him though so maybe this board isn't a true representation.

Reading the Eagles thread here it seems like they all (well most of them) make excuses for him.

Haven't been to Philly since St. Patrick's Day 2014 (when I fell face first into the sidewalk, clearly not the City's fault ;) ) or what is also known as BB (Before Bradford) - my Eagle fan buddy does hate him though so maybe this board isn't a true representation.
I might be one of the fans that seem like I'm making excuses for him, so to clarify...that's definitely not my intention. I think he's been ok, not great. I think that there seems to be a contingent of fans that want to bury him to make Chip look bad, or to make Foles look good, or to grind some axe with Bradford in general, or all of the above.

The ongoing narrative is that he is a more expensive version of Foles (ie that he was not an upgrade), he can't make the throws, Sanchez would be better, etc. Then someone invariably brings up stats that say Sanchez=Bradford while completely ignoring the downgraded and under-performing O-line, the loss of Maclin, the fact that this WR corps leads the league by far in drops and has local radio comparing the current WR situation to the Pinkston/Thrash years (vomit).

Someone actually noted in the in-game thread, with no sarcasm intended, that the amount of drops by Matthews/Cooper/Huff/Austin and company could be caused by Bradford. This after a game in which the above mentioned players had a combined 8-10 passes bounce off their chests and/or hands. These were drops. Catchable passes that hit starting NFL WR's in the hands then hit the ground. But the poster was attempting to make the case that, since ALL the WR's seemed to have the dropsies, it must mean the QB was doing something wrong. Like spinning the ball too much?

Its absurd the amount of blame that falls on this guys head. If that sounds like I'm making excuses I guess I am. Drop Rodgers into this situation, have these turd-burglars drop double-digit passes per game and watch him discount-double-check himself off the team.

I'm not. My initial gut reaction of the trade was to throw up. I backed off that in preseason naturally but now its back.

I might be one of the fans that seem like I'm making excuses for him, so to clarify...that's definitely not my intention. I think he's been ok, not great. I think that there seems to be a contingent of fans that want to bury him to make Chip look bad, or to make Foles look good, or to grind some axe with Bradford in general, or all of the above. The ongoing narrative is that he is a more expensive version of Foles (ie that he was not an upgrade), he can't make the throws, Sanchez would be better, etc. Then someone invariably brings up stats that say Sanchez=Bradford while completely ignoring the downgraded and under-performing O-line, the loss of Maclin, the fact that this WR corps leads the league by far in drops and has local radio comparing the current WR situation to the Pinkston/Thrash years (vomit).

Someone actually noted in the in-game thread, with no sarcasm intended, that the amount of drops by Matthews/Cooper/Huff/Austin and company could be caused by Bradford. This after a game in which the above mentioned players had a combined 8-10 passes bounce off their chests and/or hands. These were drops. Catchable passes that hit starting NFL WR's in the hands then hit the ground. But the poster was attempting to make the case that, since ALL the WR's seemed to have the dropsies, it must mean the QB was doing something wrong. Like spinning the ball too much?

Its absurd the amount of blame that falls on this guys head. If that sounds like I'm making excuses I guess I am. Drop Rodgers into this situation, have these turd-burglars drop double-digit passes per game and watch him discount-double-check himself off the team.
great post. It's laughable at this point. Cam Newton had more misses last night than Bradford did. If all those drops became catches, the Eagles win that game going away. I think it was Bradford's best game of the year. Certainly not perfect, but good enough to beat an undefeated team on the road.

Right, off the top of my head I'd say there were probably 3 to 4 drops at least that were crucial third-down conversions that would've kept drives alive. These are inexcusable because they make the offense sputter, they result in quick outs and they put undue pressure on the defense, which has been excelling in spite of the offensive issues.

Right, off the top of my head I'd say there were probably 3 to 4 drops at least that were crucial third-down conversions that would've kept drives alive. These are inexcusable because they make the offense sputter, they result in quick outs and they put undue pressure on the defense, which has been excelling in spite of the offensive issues.
plus the touchdown pass that went right through a Huff's hands

Oh hell no. Keep Soft Sam in Philly.
philly feels the same. Kaep is the worst QB in the league.
I'd take Kaep over Bradford. You know... For the upside that Kellys always looking for.And I can't stand Kaep.
you'd take Ryan Leaf over Bradford. So your opinion doesn't mean much. You have this weird thing where everything that happens is Bradford's fault and you refuse to ever give him credit. Not sure what that's about, but your replies are all very predictable at this point.

JuniorNB said:
Insein said:
JuniorNB said:
5Rings said:
Oh hell no. Keep Soft Sam in Philly.
philly feels the same. Kaep is the worst QB in the league.
I'd take Kaep over Bradford. You know... For the upside that Kellys always looking for.And I can't stand Kaep.
you'd take Ryan Leaf over Bradford. So your opinion doesn't mean much. You have this weird thing where everything that happens is Bradford's fault and you refuse to ever give him credit. Not sure what that's about, but your replies are all very predictable at this point.
Hey Ryan Leaf. Former #2 overall pick. That potential is there. Just has to get acclimated to Chips system.

All I know is we were 6-2 last year before Nick went down and the team has been a #### show since. I'm done buying the Bradford hype.

Right. same line, same skill positions, same play calling. Let's not forget that ST and defense won a few of those games for us too.

Users who are viewing this thread