What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Sam Bradford - QB (3 Viewers)

lol. Still in denial. THE MOST DROPS BY AN NFL TEAM SINCE 2007.
Says who? Because they have trouble adding.http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-receiver-drops-percentage/2015/

Whether it's drop rate or total number, Eagles are 3rd.
You're here every waking hour. You saw the link. Highest drop percentage since 2007
Says some twitter warrior? No really I didn't see the link. Cause my link has what the NFL officially calls drops.
Here's the link, from an article on Birds 24/7. They cite Pro Football Focus: http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/10/26/kelly-we-limited-mathews-due-to-injury/#rwVzeb1RmGXXecqL.99Not that it matters in this eternal quarrel you all seem to be engaged in, but PFF and Eagles best reporter Tim McManus state 'highest drop rate by (wide) receivers'... not as a team. So the team rate is 3rd. The WR rate is historically bad.

FWIW, IMO posting good info from Twitter is more useful than the bickering. :shrug:
Whether they have the most drops or the third most drops, all you have to do is watch the games to see how it's stalling drives, costing us touchdowns, or bouncing right into defenders' hands. It's infuriating to watch as a fan. We literally don't have a single reliable receiver.
And who's to blame for that?
Ummmm is this a quiz? I'd say that they each have to get their #### together. Matthews drops two a game. Two of his drops this season went straight to a defender. Not sure what you're shooting for, but I'll guess their drops are either Chips fault or Bradford's. Lol
We don't have a single reliable receiver. Ok. Who's the GM that assembled this crew?And before you went on your pissing match with me, I was merely saying that the excuses for Bradford have to stop. Yes these receivers are bad. Any crew that has Miles Austin, Riley Cooper and Josh Huff getting significant targets is in dire straights. But good QBs elevate the play of their guys. Average to bad QBs do nothing for them like we're seeing. Bradford is on par with Brian Hoyer and Ryan Fitzpatrick right now. Is that what we're shooting for?
Who's the GM that assembled the Defense you are calling the best defense we have had in 10 years, and a super bowl caliber defense? Guess that doesn't count when it doesn't fit your agenda.
Cox, Kendricks, Curry, Graham, Demeco, Ced Thorton were all here pre 2013. Bennie Logan, Jenkins, Barwin and Carroll were 2013-14 signings or picks when Howie was GM but you could say Chip influenced it. Chip can claim Kiko, Maxwell, Hicks and Thurmond.

So the pencil pusher that everyone hates had just as much if not more influence on this defensive creation as Chip.
:lol: good post

Bradford is not Brady or Rodgers. Those guys aren't available. And he's not Roethlisberger or Luck either.
Let's keep expanding this list and maybe we will all finally realize that Bradford is what he is an average to below average QB:

Bradford is also not Rivers, or Newton, or Palmer, or Brees, or Dalton, or Ryan, or Bortles, or Tannehill, or Eli, or Wilson, or Flacco...

Heck right now he's playing worse than Alex Smith, Teddy Bridgewater, Josh McCown, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Derrick Carr and Marcus Mariota.

So he's in a tier with Winston, (broken down) Peyton, Stafford, Cutler, Foles, et. al - Heck he's arguably not any better than the backup QB on his own team.

I'm not a hater. I actually liked him coming into the league and had him as my dynasty QB for a while. I actually thought he could come into Philly and do really well, but eventually we have to stop making excuses for this guy. Maybe he just isn't very good.

Bradford is not Brady or Rodgers. Those guys aren't available. And he's not Roethlisberger or Luck either.
Let's keep expanding this list and maybe we will all finally realize that Bradford is what he is an average to below average QB:

Bradford is also not Rivers, or Newton, or Palmer, or Brees, or Dalton, or Ryan, or Bortles, or Tannehill, or Eli, or Wilson, or Flacco...

Heck right now he's playing worse than Alex Smith, Teddy Bridgewater, Josh McCown, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Derrick Carr and Marcus Mariota.

So he's in a tier with Winston, (broken down) Peyton, Stafford, Cutler, Foles, et. al - Heck he's arguably not any better than the backup QB on his own team.

I'm not a hater. I actually liked him coming into the league and had him as my dynasty QB for a while. I actually thought he could come into Philly and do really well, but eventually we have to stop making excuses for this guy. Maybe he just isn't very good.
LOL Your list is so ridiculous that it's not even worth responding to.

Agree with all of this (and drafted Sam in 4/5 leagues, including my deep keeper, so I had more skin in the game than most).

Look, Chip took a gamble. He thought (and FWIW I agreed) that Foles wasn't gonna carry this team to the promised land, and decided he'd rather take a low-probability shot on a guy with significantly more natural talent but obvious flaws and a lengthy injury history. The fact that the gamble hasn't paid off doesn't mean it wasn't worth making - if (IF!) you can cut your losses when the time comes.

My biggest fear is that Bradford will improve only marginally the rest of the season, and Chip will seize upon that improvement plus the long list of excuses to "give him another shot" - in the face of what will then have been six years of evidence to the contrary.

Yet you did respond, with nothing substantial to say. Figured as much.

Agree with all of this (and drafted Sam in 4/5 leagues, including my deep keeper, so I had more skin in the game than most).

Look, Chip took a gamble. He thought (and FWIW I agreed) that Foles wasn't gonna carry this team to the promised land, and decided he'd rather take a low-probability shot on a guy with significantly more natural talent but obvious flaws and a lengthy injury history. The fact that the gamble hasn't paid off doesn't mean it wasn't worth making - if (IF!) you can cut your losses when the time comes.

My biggest fear is that Bradford will improve only marginally the rest of the season, and Chip will seize upon that improvement plus the long list of excuses to "give him another shot" - in the face of what will then have been six years of evidence to the contrary.
I actually believed it would work and Bradford could thrive in the system (although he did eliminate the read-option looks from the offense). It was worth a shot, although I do actually think Foles was growing into a good quarterback.

My challenge to you is to scratch as many guys as you truly believe Bradford is better than from that list, and if you are realistic you will likely see that the general point remains.

I actually believed it would work and Bradford could thrive in the system (although he did eliminate the read-option looks from the offense). It was worth a shot, although I do actually think Foles was growing into a good quarterback.
I can't even say I believed it would work. But I loved that he took the chance and wasn't satisfied with average to below average. Which is what he had in Foles and Sanchez. If Bradford doesn't start to look comfortable and improve as the season goes on, they simply don't sign him. And they continue looking for the answer. Foles is showing in St Louis that Chip was right about him. I have zero regrets about the trade. But obviously, would like to see Bradford get better.

Look on the bright side, at least Sam turned down whatever offer the team put out there after his preseason game. If he stays it will be at a much better deal.

My challenge to you is to scratch as many guys as you truly believe Bradford is better than from that list, and if you are realistic you will likely see that the general point remains.

receiver skilss, etc.
Irrelevant. And way too many factors go into that. Blocking, receiver skills, etc.

What is relevant is how many of those quarterbacks the Eagles had a shot at having this year. Why do I care if Carson Palmer is having a better year than Bradford? Could Chip have gotten him? I've said it many times, I'm not married to having Bradford be our quarterback. And if we can do better next year, let him walk. I just saw enough of Foles and Sanchez to know that we weren't making the playoffs (and certainly not winning there) with either of them at the helm. I'm a risk taker. I'd rather shoot for greatness than being decent. As of now, Bradford is falling way short of greatness. He's certainly not getting much help, but he's looked shaky and uncomfortable way too often. I'm supporting him and hoping his confidence improves and his receivers start catching balls. And that his red zone decision-making gets better. That's all I can do since I'm pretty sure Tom Brady isn't coming to Philly.

I just saw enough of Foles and Sanchez to know that we weren't making the playoffs (and certainly not winning there) with either of them at the helm.
How can this statement possibly be true when Foles did take the Eagles to the playoffs and had them in position to win that game against NO and Sanchez lead the Jets (who had less on offense and perhaps a slightly better defense) to two AFC championship games?

Trading Foles to gamble that Bradford isn't the guy he looked like in STL would be one thing. Throwing in a 2nd, a 4th, and giving up the cap room to resign Maclin is another. Results matter, Bradford is in the same tier as Sanchez and Foles as a QB, and the trade was brutal.

I just saw enough of Foles and Sanchez to know that we weren't making the playoffs (and certainly not winning there) with either of them at the helm.
How can this statement possibly be true when Foles did take the Eagles to the playoffs and had them in position to win that game against NO and Sanchez lead the Jets (who had less on offense and perhaps a slightly better defense) to two AFC championship games?
We haven't seen 2013 Foles since. And neither have the Rams. Not sure if it was a case of teams having a years worth of game film on him or what, but that guy sure wasn't Philly's QB last year. And what did Sanchez do last year that makes you think he's a playoff quarterback? He was no better than Bradford is this year.

We haven't seen 2013 Foles since. And neither have the Rams. Not sure if it was a case of teams having a years worth of game film on him or what, but that guy sure wasn't Philly's QB last year. And what did Sanchez do last year that makes you think he's a playoff quarterback? He was no better than Bradford is this year.
It's worthless to rehash this but the actual facts state otherwise. As a Jets fan, I will certainly agree that Sanchez has his flaws. If I had to choose the "upside" of Bradford over him in a vacuum, I'd take my chances with Bradford - however in real life Bradford had many other costs associated with him and based on what I've seen so far this season I think the offense looked much better with Sanchez last season and since they both make some horrifically bad decisions with the football that part is a wash.

Bradford is rated as the 32nd QB and Foles the 30th, right now. You guys are arguing over who the fasted one legged man is.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

Bradford has been a poor QB this year. Yeah there are drops and some things out of his control. In comparison to Foles however, he has had less drops.

Let's just call it what it is. These are 2 of the worst starting QBs in the NFL thus far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bradford is rated as the 32nd QB and Foles the 30th, right now. You guys are arguing over who the fasted one legged man is.

Bradford has been a poor QB this year. Yeah there are drops and some things out of his control. In comparison to Foles however, he has had less drops.

Let's just call it what it is. These are 2 of the worst starting QBs in the NFL thus far.
But one is playing in a system that has made average QBs look good for the last two years and the other plays in a run first, i-back set where passing is secondary to running and running.

But one is playing in a system that has made average QBs look good for the last two years and the other plays in a run first, i-back set where passing is secondary to running and running.
And one has had a great running game that should open up throwing options for him, and one's running game has struggled. We could do this all day, you gotta realize that Foles isn't very good at all. You keep discounting people's reasons for defending Bradford when they mention the situation around him is hurting his perceived talent. Yet you keep running to the same reasons to defend Foles. Do you honestly believe you are unobjective and comparing the two without any bitterness or need to be right in your head? If you honestly believe you're being consistent and fair when evaluating the two then there is no hope for you and you're just going to be complaining the entire year, offseason, next year, etc. Hell, I almost want the Eagles to win now only to stop you from vomiting negativity all over every Bradford/Eagles thread you can find.

Makes sense. They both stink. Bradford will not be starting in Philly and Foles will not be starting for the Rams next year.

And one has had a great running game that should open up throwing options for him, and one's running game has struggled. We could do this all day, you gotta realize that Foles isn't very good at all. You keep discounting people's reasons for defending Bradford when they mention the situation around him is hurting his perceived talent. Yet you keep running to the same reasons to defend Foles. Do you honestly believe you are unobjective and comparing the two without any bitterness or need to be right in your head? If you honestly believe you're being consistent and fair when evaluating the two then there is no hope for you and you're just going to be complaining the entire year, offseason, next year, etc. Hell, I almost want the Eagles to win now only to stop you from vomiting negativity all over every Bradford/Eagles thread you can find.
Foles has only thrown for 200 yards once all year. They don't even want the guy to throw it. They'll be looking for a QB in the off season too. They found out what Chip found out last year.

Bradford has been a disappointment thus far. If he doesn't significantly improve after the bye week, his experiment will be deemed a failure.

If Chip doesn't get a QB with some running ability, and he insists on playing weak receivers, then his offense will ultimately fail at the NFL level. He needs the threat of the QB running to open up some other options for this offense, especially if his receivers aren't good enough to get open on their own.

Bradford has been a disappointment thus far. If he doesn't significantly improve after the bye week, his experiment will be deemed a failure.

If Chip doesn't get a QB with some running ability, and he insists on playing weak receivers, then his offense will ultimately fail at the NFL level. He needs the threat of the QB running to open up some other options for this offense, especially if his receivers aren't good enough to get open on their own.
I do agree with this. ButI don't want them bringing in a QB simply because he can run (Like RG3 or Kaep). They are both horrible QBs. They could sign Terrell Pryor if they want a bad QB who can run. Would love for them to find a jewel out there like Tyrod Taylor.

But I certainly agree that without any threat of Bradford pulling it back and running himself, it's hurt the run game significantly.

Foles has only thrown for 200 yards once all year. They don't even want the guy to throw it. They'll be looking for a QB in the off season too. They found out what Chip found out last year.
That's Fisher's m.o.

Didn't the Rams sign Foles to a new deal?

I do agree with this. ButI don't want them bringing in a QB simply because he can run (Like RG3 or Kaep). They are both horrible QBs. They could sign Terrell Pryor if they want a bad QB who can run. Would love for them to find a jewel out there like Tyrod Taylor.

But I certainly agree that without any threat of Bradford pulling it back and running himself, it's hurt the run game significantly.
Geno Smith? He has the interception thing down pat already.

Honestly Smith is an absolute bonehead but he does have some arm talent at least and can run. It's possible he could fit the system and I doubt he's a Jet next season.

No, I agree, don't just get a runner. Get a runner who can throw with some accuracy. And a runner who didn't use his legs as a primary weapon in college. I think Vick and RG3 never developed as passers in college because they always ran instead of going through a progression of receivers. Wilson seems to be always looking to throw and uses his legs as a last option. My all-time favorite was Randall who, even though he was a great runner, always was looking to scramble to buy more time to make a throw than just simply running with it.

Time to bring in Sanchez! As much as that hurts to say, Bradford is a failed experiment. He's failed at almost every level of Kelly's offense. He has not been able to throw an accurate deep ball, he's neglected to pass the ball outside and his pocket presence is just exhausting. How long can the offensive line fend off the defense as Bradford sits back for so long looking for an open receiver in the middle of the field?

Geno Smith? He has the interception thing down pat already.

Honestly Smith is an absolute bonehead but he does have some arm talent at least and can run. It's possible he could fit the system and I doubt he's a Jet next season.
I'd have to do some research on Geno Smith. He didn't do anything to impress me last year, and he seems like a bit of a bonehead. But that's just Sportscenter-type knowledge. Never really studied him much.

No, I agree, don't just get a runner. Get a runner who can throw with some accuracy. And a runner who didn't use his legs as a primary weapon in college. I think Vick and RG3 never developed as passers in college because they always ran instead of going through a progression of receivers. Wilson seems to be always looking to throw and uses his legs as a last option. My all-time favorite was Randall who, even though he was a great runner, always was looking to scramble to buy more time to make a throw than just simply running with it.
RG3 made nice throws during his rookie season. I thought he was going to be great. Once he got hurt, his head got screwed up. The Skins trying to turn him into a pocket passer was a major fail. Now it seems like the guy gets hurt every time he's touched. I think his career is over.

If apologizing gets a pass, then Foles had one bad game vs a great GB defense. Easily his worse game since the concussion vs Dallas. We all know how he bounced back from there.

Outside of that he's completing like 63%, 5td to 1int and 7.2 y/a

Game winning drive and wins vs Sea/Ari. The "He's playing like Bradford" statements is not so.

If apologizing gets a pass, then Foles had one bad game vs a great GB defense. Easily his worse game since the concussion vs Dallas. We all know how he bounced back from there.

Game winning drive and wins vs Sea/Ari. The "He's playing like Bradford" statements is not so.
His biggest attribute this season is his ability to give the ball to Gurley. Foles has been exactly what he was for us last year..average.

His biggest attribute this season is his ability to give the ball to Gurley. Foles has been exactly what he was for us last year..average.
Just like when Gurley was hurt right??

Foles still wasn't special. One game over 200 yards all year. Foles is Foles. Very very average.

Foles still wasn't special. One game over 200 yards all year. Foles is Foles. Very very average.
And I always come back to average QBs do not throw for 7tds in a game or else it would happen every week and twice on Sunday. They also don't go 29-2 in TD-int ratio. The ability was there. Chip was chasing Peyton Manning potential in a former first overall pick based solely on the draft position and the practice tape of a guy with 2 knee surgeries instead of going deeper into the playbook with a guy that knew it like the back of his hand and had the most success of the 5 that have tried it so far.

I'd have to do some research on Geno Smith. He didn't do anything to impress me last year, and he seems like a bit of a bonehead. But that's just Sportscenter-type knowledge. Never really studied him much.
He was a prolific college passer (and hardly ever ran). He had a really bad rookie season but finished up strong the last four games. His second season was up and down - he played really well against Atlanta and New England in Prime Time games, but made many of the same mistakes he made as a rookie as a sophomore. He finished up the season with a perfect QB rating and huge numbers in a game against Miami - albeit in a meaningless game for both teams. His accuracy isn't fantastic but it's adequate and he has an extremely strong arm. While he wasn't a running quarterback in college he used his legs a lot and very effectively as a pro. The negatives are that he's not very bright (football-wise), he makes some extremely poor decisions - costly mistakes. He's obviously not a leader, as a third string LBer was able to knock him out in the locker room with no one coming to his defense, apparently. He lacks maturity, but that can change and that experience of losing his starting job after taunting a teammate and not paying back what he owed may be his "come to Jesus" moment.

He'd make an interesting reclamation project, as he has talent - I'm just not convinced he's smart enough or dedicated enough to thrive.

That's more that what I can say for Badford.

Outside of the GB game, Foles QB rating is like 90+(you know... somewhere near his career average :shock: ). He's likely going to be 3-0 is the toughest division in the league right now after this weekend. I don't see the beef.

15-4 under Kelly with a 100 QB rating. I'll wait for anyone to near those numbers in Chip magical system.

That's more that what I can say for Badford.Outside of the GB game, Foles QB rating is like 90+(you know... somewhere near his career average :shock: ). He's likely going to be 3-0 is the toughest division in the league right now after this weekend. I don't see the beef.

15-4 under Kelly with a 100 QB rating. I'll wait for anyone to near those numbers in Chip magical system.
he's been a good hander-offer this year. Except the one game his team was behind and they needed him to pass the ball. Rezult: 4 picks including a pick 6. No thanks.

Sounds easy enough. So basically your starting QB in 2016 is Colin Kaepernick

Sounds easy enough. So basically your starting QB in 2016 is Colin Kaepernick
Bite your tongue. That's been discussed. He's horrible. I'd rather just sign Terrell Pryor if the goal is to have a guy who can run but not throw or read defenses.

It's worthless to rehash this but the actual facts state otherwise. As a Jets fan, I will certainly agree that Sanchez has his flaws. If I had to choose the "upside" of Bradford over him in a vacuum, I'd take my chances with Bradford - however in real life Bradford had many other costs associated with him and based on what I've seen so far this season I think the offense looked much better with Sanchez last season and since they both make some horrifically bad decisions with the football that part is a wash.
well said.

Outside of the GB game, Foles QB rating is like 90+(you know... somewhere near his career average :shock: ). He's likely going to be 3-0 is the toughest division in the league right now after this weekend. I don't see the beef.

It is turning out to not be a tough division. And you are saying he has anything to do with that? St. Louis has scored the 2nd least points in the entire NFL.

And he had an oline that could block, and receivers that could catch last year. Stop comparing saying to not compare apples to oranges, and then comparing apples to oranges.

Foles is not a super bowl qb no matter how you slice it. Your blind love is admirable though.

Deamon said:
ShaHBucks said:
JuniorNB said:

It is turning out to not be a tough division. And you are saying he has anything to do with that? St. Louis has scored the 2nd least points in the entire NFL.

And he had an oline that could block, and receivers that could catch last year. Stop comparing saying to not compare apples to oranges, and then comparing apples to oranges.

Foles is not a super bowl qb no matter how you slice it. Your blind love is admirable though.
Neither was Trent Dilfer. But the Rams are following the Ravens model from that year, stout D and a strong running game. All Foles has to do is not lose games and let the D and the RB win them. Easier said that done, I know, but it's possible...

That still would have been a pretty team-friendly deal.

If he had played even halfway-decent, which I assume he and his agents thought that he would, he probably would have gotten a lot more than that. He bet on himself and the odds were probably in his favor. It hasn't worked out, whatever his problem is. I don't think that it was crazy to turn that down, especially considering that he is not desperate for money.

I never have a problem with a guy being confident and betting on himself. But damn, that was very bold. Turning down that money with his health history. From where it stands now, the Eagles are happy he did turn it down. The second half of the season better show much more improvement if Bradford wants to sniff that kind of money. From any team.

If he had played even halfway-decent, which I assume he and his agents thought that he would, he probably would have gotten a lot more than that. He bet on himself and the odds were probably in his favor. It hasn't worked out, whatever his problem is. I don't think that it was crazy to turn that down, especially considering that he is not desperate for money.
$18M per year, that is $2M-$3M off from what he could've expected if he had a solid year, that gamble just cost him a large amount of money...

At $10M a year, obviously he can gamble, but $18M, IDK - real stupid move IMO.

$18M per year, that is $2M-$3M off from what he could've expected if he had a solid year, that gamble just cost him a large amount of money...

You realize that the $18 per year is not real, right? Eskin speculated that around $30 million would have been guaranteed, though who knows if that it true. Rivers just signed a 4-year deal for $83 million with $37 guaranteed. Tannehill's deal was 4/77 with 21.5 guaranteed. I would bet that the deal was closer to the latter than the former. And I'm sure that there were team-friendly ways to cut him.

If Bradford came out and had an above-average year, he might have gotten up $40 million guaranteed.

Josh McCown got $6.2 guaranteed for god's sake. I bet that the amount that he could have increased the guaranteed money by was a lot greater than the amount of guaranteed money that he might lose is.

You realize that the $18 per year is not real, right? Eskin speculated that around $30 million would have been guaranteed, though who knows if that it true. Rivers just signed a 4-year deal for $83 million with $37 guaranteed. Tannehill's deal was 4/77 with 21.5 guaranteed. I would bet that the deal was closer to the latter than the former. And I'm sure that there were team-friendly ways to cut him.

If Bradford came out and had an above-average year, he might have gotten up $40 million guaranteed.

Josh McCown got $6.2 guaranteed for god's sake. I bet that the amount that he could have increased the guaranteed money by was a lot greater than the amount of guaranteed money that he might lose is.
Of course, unless you're a top tier QB, you get a deal like Kaep that gives the team plenty of outs. Lets pretend he was guaranteed $28M, but the deal had him pegged to average $18M per - He takes the guarantees (which are still solid) and then continues along at $18 per, instead of $20M per with an extra $10M guaranteed (which he'll make anyways if he plays well). If he is playing well, he prob leaves $8M on the table, if he is playing poorly, he snags an extra $20-$25M in guarantees bc his next contract prob won't be over $6-$8M (which I don't even think he is worth). The upside far outweighs the downside IMO. The guy needs to seriously improve or he just cost himself a lot of money.

He just got greedy, prob a residual effect of his silly rookie contract.

FTR, I'd rather have McCown than Bradford.

That's more that what I can say for Badford.Outside of the GB game, Foles QB rating is like 90+(you know... somewhere near his career average :shock: ). He's likely going to be 3-0 is the toughest division in the league right now after this weekend. I don't see the beef.

It is turning out to not be a tough division. And you are saying he has anything to do with that? St. Louis has scored the 2nd least points in the entire NFL. And he had an oline that could block, and receivers that could catch last year. Stop comparing saying to not compare apples to oranges, and then comparing apples to oranges.

Neither was Trent Dilfer. But the Rams are following the Ravens model from that year, stout D and a strong running game. All Foles has to do is not lose games and let the D and the RB win them. Easier said that done, I know, but it's possible...
They say Foles is average. Average to me is Flacco/Eli/Dalton type that can get hot. Yes, you can win a Super Bowl with an average QB according to history. Outside of the GB debacle, he's been his usual efficient self. He a young QB that has a probowl under his belt and is 19-7 over the past 3 years. Makes no sense to me to say he can get you to the playoffs and go on a run. Especially when Bradford is your alternative who is just known for tearing his knees up the past few years.

Users who are viewing this thread