What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Sam Bradford - QB (6 Viewers)

Great news. If Keenum struggles or gets injured I continue to believe Bradford is a better choice to step in immediately and have success over Teddy.
I don't see how this is a question.  Teddy flat out looked awful.  Not really his fault, he hasn't exactly had reps and hasn't played in ages.  But still, I think SB is the clear choice to step in if healthy (and keenum sucks or gets hurt)

I am a lifetime Viking's fan, dating back to `1972, and I don't believe in any of these guys. But for this season, I believe in Keenum. How many playoff games have the other guys won?  Keenum has carried us into the playoffs and deserves the chance to bring us to the holy land or not. Next year will be determined later, after the season. For now, this team is Keenum's team.

I am a lifetime Viking's fan, dating back to `1972, and I don't believe in any of these guys. But for this season, I believe in Keenum. How many playoff games have the other guys won?  Keenum has carried us into the playoffs and deserves the chance to bring us to the holy land or not. Next year will be determined later, after the season. For now, this team is Keenum's team.
Don't think anyone is doubting that.  I think it's more so if Keenum gets hurt or plays like absolute ####, who would enter the game.

What does the future hold for Bradford? Let's see..some team throws a ton on money at him (again) and then he plays well for 2-3 games (again) and then has a knee injury (again) and he is done for the season (again). 

Bradford lives a charmed life. Do you have any idea how much money he has earned per game played? Free money....

I wouldn't sign this guy to my CFL team if I was a GM, let along waste cap space on him. 

hoffman0001 said:
What does the future hold for Bradford? Let's see..some team throws a ton on money at him (again) and then he plays well for 2-3 games (again) and then has a knee injury (again) and he is done for the season (again). 

Bradford lives a charmed life. Do you have any idea how much money he has earned per game played? Free money....

I wouldn't sign this guy to my CFL team if I was a GM, let along waste cap space on him. 
If I worked as hard as Bradford has had to work to become a 1.01 NFL pick, worked as hard as he had to be a decent starting QB and worked as hard as he has to come back from injuries, just to see his body fail him again...I'm not so sure I'd call it a charmed life. I feel bad for the guy, injuries suck.

If I worked as hard as Bradford has had to work to become a 1.01 NFL pick, worked as hard as he had to be a decent starting QB and worked as hard as he has to come back from injuries, just to see his body fail him again...I'm not so sure I'd call it a charmed life. I feel bad for the guy, injuries suck.
Yeah it sucks to have 100MIL in the bank and get a nice cushy studio job at 35....and have you seen his wife?  :shock:

I'm not shedding a tear for a guy that should be in jail for stealing (salary for sitting that is)

I say again, he is charmed. Plus he is not as likely to have post-career injuries since the most used part oh his body was his ### on the training table.  :D

Updating an earlier report, Sam Bradford (I.R., knee) is expected to be active for Sunday's Divisional Round game against the Saints.

Ben Volin of the Boston Globe was the first to report that Bradford would be active, though coach Mike Zimmer remained noncommittal when the subject was brought up on Friday. "I don’t know how the Boston Globe would know because I haven’t made any decisions yet," said Zimmer. "Every question that you ask, if there’s a possibility, and there’s always a possibility of everything." Bradford hasn't seen the field since aggravating his surgically-repaired knee in Week 5. As of now, it remains unclear if Bradford will back up Case Keenum on Sunday or if the Vikes will stand pat with Teddy Bridgewater as their No. 2.

Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press 

Jan 12 - 3:10 PM

i was thinking more the media, not the on the ground fans.  They lose and the talk all week will be about bradford
Maybe. But he’s been out as an option for so long. 

How many QBs come back the week after IR (in the playoffs no less) and take over for a guy that went like 12-3?

Zimmer said in the press conference that Keenum has been getting almost all the reps with the 1st team in practice. He said Bradford gets 5 plays and Teddy gets 5 plays while Keenum getting 40 plays in practice.

You can tell from his tone that they are sticking with Keenum.

Interesting though that they activate Bradford now and currently carrying 4 QBs. Sloter is the only QB actually under contract for next season and I don't think they want to expose him to waivers where other teams could pick him up. So the roster spot is pretty important and they must have seen enough good things from Bradford in practice to make this move.

Zimmer said in the press conference that Keenum has been getting almost all the reps with the 1st team in practice. He said Bradford gets 5 plays and Teddy gets 5 plays while Keenum getting 40 plays in practice.

You can tell from his tone that they are sticking with Keenum.

Interesting though that they activate Bradford now and currently carrying 4 QBs. Sloter is the only QB actually under contract for next season and I don't think they want to expose him to waivers where other teams could pick him up. So the roster spot is pretty important and they must have seen enough good things from Bradford in practice to make this move.
So who’s active this week?  Teddy, Sam and Case. 

So who’s active this week?  Teddy, Sam and Case. 
Not sure seems possible all 3 will be or maybe only two of them.

Bradford takes a spot from reserve lineman or something else but maybe they still list 2 QB as inactive.

Against the Saints I think you want all hands on deck for defense.

i was thinking more the media, not the on the ground fans.  They lose and the talk all week will be about bradford
Maybe. But he’s been out as an option for so long. 

How many QBs come back the week after IR (in the playoffs no less) and take over for a guy that went like 12-3?
We're in uncharted territory here because IR was permanent until a few years ago.

The closest comparison I can think of is the 1972 Dolphins, when Bob Griese went down in Week 5, then stayed out for the rest of the year before playing at the end of the AFC Championship and then starting in the Super Bowl.

At any rate, I think this latest move is less about Keenum and more about Bridgewater. Bradford is going to be their #2 QB for the playoffs.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen confirms Sam Bradford is expected to back up Case Keenum in Sunday's Divisional Round game against the Saints.

This was widely expected after the Vikings activated Bradford from injured reserve on Saturday. With Bradford finally healthy, Teddy Bridgewater will fall to third on Minnesota's QB depth chart and will likely be inactive against New Orleans. The Vikings have never dressed more than two quarterbacks during Mike Zimmer's tenure as head coach.

Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

He is pretty much the luckiest man alive money wise.
Well, no. I'd say that Stan Kroenke, for example, owner of Bradford's first team, who "earned" the billions he needed to buy the franchise just by marrying into the Walton family, is has done less to earn more. Jeff Lurie, owner of his second team, was lucky enough to be born into billions and has never had to do anything other than pet projects his whole life. Zigi Wilf, owner of his third team, has "worked" for his money by using separate books to bilk his business partners out of millions.

So I wouldn't say that someone who is in the top 30 QBs in the world getting middle of the road QB contracts is particularly lucky.

Well, no. I'd say that Stan Kroenke, for example, owner of Bradford's first team, who "earned" the billions he needed to buy the franchise just by marrying into the Walton family, is has done less to earn more. Jeff Lurie, owner of his second team, was lucky enough to be born into billions and has never had to do anything other than pet projects his whole life. Zigi Wilf, owner of his third team, has "worked" for his money by using separate books to bilk his business partners out of millions.

So I wouldn't say that someone who is in the top 30 QBs in the world getting middle of the road QB contracts is particularly lucky.
Middle of the road? Okay, I think you need to add his deals up.

Middle of the road? Okay, I think you need to add his deals up.
After this year he will have earned about $129M in eight seasons (average of $16M/year). So, still not on the same order of magnitude as any of his team owners, who have done less for their work. And, in the middle of the pack for any QB who's been in the league that long. It so happens that $20M for 2018 ranks him right at 16th in the league in QB salary, behind guys like Eli Manning who got benched in 2017, or Joe Flacco who is just as mediocre. 

Being a mediocre QB is a pretty sweet deal. Not nearly as sweet a deal as being a mediocre NFL owner, of course. But to be a mediocre NFL QB you actually have to be pretty good, while to be a mediocre owner you just need to be a rich guy's kid.

Sam Bradford's deal with the Cardinals is actually worth $40 million over two years.

The contract was reported to be for one year, and it sort of is because Bradford is due a $7.5 million option bonus next offseason, which if paid would net him $20 million for 2019. Either way, Bradford is going to be on the Cardinals' 2019 books because the team gave him a $10 million signing bonus which prorates over the next two seasons. $15 million of the $40 million deal is guaranteed. It's a staggering sum for a player with Bradford's injury history.

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter 

Mar 19 - 1:56 PM

Faust said:
It's a staggering sum for a player with Bradford's injury history.
I just don't see how it's a staggering sum. Here are the QBs with less guaranteed money than Bradford after his new deal:

• Josh McCown
  • Teddy Bridgewater
  • Nick Foles
  • Chase Daniel
  • AJ McCarron
Etc. etc. McCown and Bridgewater are both on the same team; one of them won't be starting, and may be cut. McCarron has less than 150 passes in four years in the league; maybe he'll turn into something, but at this point he's aspiring to be as mediocre as Sam Bradford. Ryan Tannehill has over $20M guaranteed and he hasn't played since 2016. 

Cardinals.com's Darren Urban believes it's "hard not to see" Sam Bradford as the opening day starter.

The Cardinals have moved Bradford slowly this offseason, but he's looked good when on the field. Barring setbacks, it sounds like Arizona plans to go into the year with him as their starter. Bradford hasn't played a full season since 2012 but is one of the most accurate quarterbacks in the league. It's a potentially bad situation for Josh Rosen if Bradford stays healthy.

Source: azcardinals.com 

Jun 15 - 6:16 PM

Faust said:
Cardinals.com's Darren Urban believes it's "hard not to see" Sam Bradford as the opening day starter.

The Cardinals have moved Bradford slowly this offseason, but he's looked good when on the field. Barring setbacks, it sounds like Arizona plans to go into the year with him as their starter. Bradford hasn't played a full season since 2012 but is one of the most accurate quarterbacks in the league. It's a potentially bad situation for Josh Rosen if Bradford stays healthy.

Source: azcardinals.com 

Jun 15 - 6:16 PM
He is? He had one good season for completion percentage (in an entirely different offense) one average season and four very mediocre seasons.

He should be great for Fitz in magic football with his inability/unwillingness to throw more than seven yards down field but every Cardinals fan in the universe should be praying for the Josh Rosen era to begin sooner rather than later.

Cardinals HC Steve Wilks said the team's starting QB spot is Sam Bradford's job to lose.

Wilks also said the backup quarterback role is currently a wide open competition between rookie Josh Rosen and FA signee Mike Glennon. The decision will come down to preseason performance. Bradford has looked good when on the field, but he hasn't played a full season since 2012. If Arizona struggles out the gate, Rosen could still receive his first start sooner than later.

Related: Cardinals

Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter 

Jul 28 - 12:54 PM

Faust said:
Bradford has looked good when on the field, but he hasn't played a full season since 2012.
I have seen this statement in relation to Bradford several times before. Technically it is accurate. However Bradford did not miss any games due to injury in 2016. He just missed the first game because he had just been traded to the Vikings days before and they started Shaun Hill is the opener against the Titans.

Sam Bradford said the Cardinals are scaling back their offense this week.

The idea is a simpler play sheet will help the struggling offense get on the same page. "I think the thought is just allow everyone to go out there and play faster," Bradford said, "simplify everything a little bit and hopefully it shows up in the speed in which we play." Bradford is averaging four yards per attempt so far this season and has struggled to get the offense past midfield let alone to the end zone. Perhaps this strategy will help, but Arizona should make the switch to Josh Rosen sooner than later.

Source: AP

Sep 20 - 10:32 AM

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports "there are some around the league" who believe the Cardinals are thinking of benching Sam Bradford.

Bradford's had a rough first two weeks, but the Cardinals have stayed with him to this point. He'll start Sunday, but is at risk of an in-game benching. Josh Rosen got some first-team practice reps this week and could see the field if the offense continues to struggle. The Cardinals can save $4 million in roster bonuses if they move on from Bradford after this week.

Source: ESPN

Sep 23 - 9:32 AM

Sam Bradford - QB -  Cardinals

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Cardinals plan on sticking with Sam Bradford.

This conflicts with some previous speculation. The entire Cardinals offense has been a disaster, so there's no rush to put Josh Rosen in a bad situation. Arizona believes Bradford is still their best quarterback despite his early year struggles. Bradford looks to have at least a couple weeks of leash before the Cardinals consider turning to Rosen.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Sep 23 - 10:19 AM

Users who are viewing this thread