What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Sam Bradford - QB (9 Viewers)

Throwing lasers and connecting on deep balls in camp is all well and good but I am still skeptical that he is anything more than a 6.8 ish YPA guy. I think Bradford's best hope for breaking through and being a guy who truly challenges defenses is if Britt comes out at peak form. He had the potential to be a difference maker and that would be a huge boon to Bradford because I don't see him as the type of QB who turns players into difference makers.

Despite that I think Bradford could be a 24ish TD guy with 3,800 yards but he needs more help to be a 30+ TD guy.

I also think fantasy players need to be prepared for the Rams to be much more of a running team.
The Rams were 28th out of 32 NFL teams last season in pass attempts. Kellen Clemens (242 PA in 9+ games) was pretty much the definition of "game manager". Assuming Bradford remains healthy, does anyone actually expect the Rams to throw the ball less this year?
And Kellen Clemens had terrible passing numbers but we're not talking about Clemens.

When Bradford was playing (7 games) they were on pace to throw the ball 608 times (including the 4 attempts Clemmens had in the game Bradford got injured) that would have been good for 10th most attempts last season. Through 5 games they were on pace to throw an incredible 691 passes.

So Bradfords 2 TD/game average last year came in a top 10 offense for passing attempts. Furthermore even with those gaudy pass attempt #s Bradford was on pace to finish with 3,915 yards, which would have placed him 10th overall but his 6.44 Y/A would have been the worst among the top 10 by a .5 yards.

Clemens was on pace for 423 passing attempts, if you plug Bradford's 6.44 Y/A and 5.3% TD rate (which is better than his career rates of 6.3 Y/A & 3.4% TD rate) you get 2,724 yards and 22 TDs.

I don't think it will be as bad as all that but I think the Rams would prefer to be in the bottom half of pass attempts this season (570-580 attempts) so if we use his career best Y/A of 6.7 and 5.3% TD rate that would give you 3,852 yards and 30 TDs. I would call that his absolute ceiling. That would have been good for 12th in yards and 6th in TDs last year. It would be great if it happened but I am always a little skeptical predicting career best numbers from players.
The pace Bradford was on last year was so far above his career best, that unless you're openly predicting an injury, it would be insane to predict less than career best numbers for him. That, AND he added Britt, AND the other two favorites to be in the WR mix will be second year players now. Sometimes, even a good rule of thumb stops making sense when you look at the specifics. :shrug:
:lmao:
I totally understand your point but I think Britt is a real wild card in this equation. The guy has flashed :moneybag: talent so if he can get out of his :2cents: head then he could provide the first legitimate #1 WR Bradford has ever had. That could definitely help Bradford improve on his mediocre career Y/A and TD% numbers.

But it's a big "if", no doubt.

The beginning of last season feels like an outlier.
Reasons this may be true:

1) Little running game to speak of until week five. What else can you do when you can't run the football?

2) Bradford's attempts per game 38, 55, 48, 41, 34, 16, 30. in the same period STL RB carries went 21, 16, 12, 13, 17, 21, 25. and ypc went up from week 4 on.

If I had to guess we'll see close to 480-500 passing attempts and 400-430 rushing attempts by RBs.

If you look at Brian Schottenheimer's track record as an OC the highest any of his teams have ever ranked in pass attempts is 13th (one time), and his teams average 21st in pass attempts. Now maybe you think that has more to do with Rex Ryan than Schottenheimer and maybe you would be right however Ryan and Fisher are cut from the same cloth.
Since becoming the HC of Houston full time in 1995 Fisher's teams average 22nd in pass attempts. He has had two seasons, out of 18 total, (2004 & 2005) where his teams ranked 2nd and 5th in pass attempts. In his other 16 seasons as a head coach the best his teams have ever managed is 16th in pass attempts (once). His totals for the other 15 seasons are 17th, 19th (twice), 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 26th, 27th, 28th (5 times), 29th & 30th. His teams have finished above the league average in rush attempts 13 times in 18 seasons. 1st (twice), 2nd, 4th, 5th (twice), 8th, 9th (twice), 11th (twice), 12th, 14th, 17th, 22nd, 23rd, 23rd & 25th (average of 11th in rush attempts).

Maybe I put too much stock in these things but I don't like betting against trends like that. The beginning of last season feels like an outlier.
Agreed.

Plus, if you look at the three games where Bradford threw 3 TDs last season, one was a blowout against Atlanta (where two late scores made it close), one was against the pitiful Jags, and the other was against the Texans in a game in which he attempted only 16 passes. Yes, they count either way, but I don't think counting on that kind of stuff again is a good idea.

Chaka said:
MoveToSkypager said:
Freelove said:
Chaka said:
Mr. Irrelevant said:
Throwing lasers and connecting on deep balls in camp is all well and good but I am still skeptical that he is anything more than a 6.8 ish YPA guy. I think Bradford's best hope for breaking through and being a guy who truly challenges defenses is if Britt comes out at peak form. He had the potential to be a difference maker and that would be a huge boon to Bradford because I don't see him as the type of QB who turns players into difference makers.

Despite that I think Bradford could be a 24ish TD guy with 3,800 yards but he needs more help to be a 30+ TD guy.

I also think fantasy players need to be prepared for the Rams to be much more of a running team.
The Rams were 28th out of 32 NFL teams last season in pass attempts. Kellen Clemens (242 PA in 9+ games) was pretty much the definition of "game manager". Assuming Bradford remains healthy, does anyone actually expect the Rams to throw the ball less this year?
And Kellen Clemens had terrible passing numbers but we're not talking about Clemens.

When Bradford was playing (7 games) they were on pace to throw the ball 608 times (including the 4 attempts Clemmens had in the game Bradford got injured) that would have been good for 10th most attempts last season. Through 5 games they were on pace to throw an incredible 691 passes.

So Bradfords 2 TD/game average last year came in a top 10 offense for passing attempts. Furthermore even with those gaudy pass attempt #s Bradford was on pace to finish with 3,915 yards, which would have placed him 10th overall but his 6.44 Y/A would have been the worst among the top 10 by a .5 yards.

Clemens was on pace for 423 passing attempts, if you plug Bradford's 6.44 Y/A and 5.3% TD rate (which is better than his career rates of 6.3 Y/A & 3.4% TD rate) you get 2,724 yards and 22 TDs.

I don't think it will be as bad as all that but I think the Rams would prefer to be in the bottom half of pass attempts this season (570-580 attempts) so if we use his career best Y/A of 6.7 and 5.3% TD rate that would give you 3,852 yards and 30 TDs. I would call that his absolute ceiling. That would have been good for 12th in yards and 6th in TDs last year. It would be great if it happened but I am always a little skeptical predicting career best numbers from players.
The pace Bradford was on last year was so far above his career best, that unless you're openly predicting an injury, it would be insane to predict less than career best numbers for him. That, AND he added Britt, AND the other two favorites to be in the WR mix will be second year players now. Sometimes, even a good rule of thumb stops making sense when you look at the specifics. :shrug:
I totally understand your point but I think Britt is a real wild card in this equation. The guy has flashed :moneybag: talent so if he can get out of his :2cents: head then he could provide the first legitimate #1 WR Bradford has ever had. That could definitely help Bradford improve on his mediocre career Y/A and TD% numbers.

I know he has the potential, but we are sitting at about 60 games and 5 (?) years into his career now. I don't mind missing out on him when I say "He is what he is". He's had a history of injury, poor decisions (recent poor decisions at that) and flat out bad play. He has a veritable potpourri of reasons why he hasn't lived up to his potential, and Kenny Britt is just the guy to come up with even more. I laugh at someone using Britt as a reason Bradford's numbers will improve for the same reason that scratch off tickets are used in financial planning. Austin and Bailey's 2nd year? Great! I look forward to their development and am rooting for them.

Chaka said:
MoveToSkypager said:
Freelove said:
Chaka said:
Mr. Irrelevant said:

I know he has the potential, but we are sitting at about 60 games and 5 (?) years into his career now. I don't mind missing out on him when I say "He is what he is". He's had a history of injury, poor decisions (recent poor decisions at that) and flat out bad play. He has a veritable potpourri of reasons why he hasn't lived up to his potential, and Kenny Britt is just the guy to come up with even more. I laugh at someone using Britt as a reason Bradford's numbers will improve for the same reason that scratch off tickets are used in financial planning. Austin and Bailey's 2nd year? Great! I look forward to their development and am rooting for them.
Was one of three things listed, and I didn't even mention the offensive line. In addition to which, they didn't need to improve ANYTHING for Bradford's last-year pace to have obliterated his career bests. You seem to have an irrational grudge against the guy for some reason. :shrug:

Laugh if you want. $1k says if he plays 14, he sets a career best in std fantasy points. Down, or are you more :lmao: ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Was one of three things listed, and I didn't even mention the offensive line. In addition to which, they didn't need to improve ANYTHING for Bradford's last-year pace to have obliterated his career bests. You seem to have an irrational grudge against the guy for some reason. :shrug:

Laugh if you want. $1k says if he plays 14, he sets a career best in std fantasy points. Down, or are you more :lmao: ?
I think I gave some pretty good reasons why Bradford's 2013 pace is likely an outlier for his career. His efficiency metrics may improve but I cannot envision a likely scenario where Bradford will be on pace for top 10 (top 5) passing attempts. If his efficiency improves, and the offensive line improvements alone should help that, then I don't think it is a stretch for him to improve on his career bests. Then again his bests are 3,702 yards and 21 TDs which are below average in today's NFL so he had better improve on them.

Also I think the offensive line improvements can easily be argued as indicating an increased emphasis on the running game.

Chaka said:
MoveToSkypager said:
Freelove said:
Chaka said:
Mr. Irrelevant said:

Are you talking about Kenny Britt or Sam Bradford here? Calm down and restate please.

If you look at Brian Schottenheimer's track record as an OC the highest any of his teams have ever ranked in pass attempts is 13th (one time), and his teams average 21st in pass attempts. Now maybe you think that has more to do with Rex Ryan than Schottenheimer and maybe you would be right however Ryan and Fisher are cut from the same cloth.
Since becoming the HC of Houston full time in 1995 Fisher's teams average 22nd in pass attempts. He has had two seasons, out of 18 total, (2004 & 2005) where his teams ranked 2nd and 5th in pass attempts. In his other 16 seasons as a head coach the best his teams have ever managed is 16th in pass attempts (once). His totals for the other 15 seasons are 17th, 19th (twice), 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 26th, 27th, 28th (5 times), 29th & 30th. His teams have finished above the league average in rush attempts 13 times in 18 seasons. 1st (twice), 2nd, 4th, 5th (twice), 8th, 9th (twice), 11th (twice), 12th, 14th, 17th, 22nd, 23rd, 23rd & 25th (average of 11th in rush attempts).

Maybe I put too much stock in these things but I don't like betting against trends like that. The beginning of last season feels like an outlier.
Most of his time...Fisher didn't have WRs in TEN. He had a TE and Mason. The 2nd WR got some hype but rarely produced.

Britt was the first time they invested a high pick in a WR in a very long time.

You can't really look back and say they should have thrown to X more.

It's my belief that Norm Chow showed Fish creativity. It failed, but at the same time, even when Dinger returned with the same O it looked like it had more juice to it.

Fisher was very excited to have Britt and Cook. Ultimately it frustrated him, but he used to be so excited to (finally) have gamebreakers with them and CJ. There are some good video interviews where he discusses slowly plodding up the field versus taking chances and he really explains the differences well in how you build a team and manage players.

I think we're going to see a significant improvement in the Rams effort to get Austin in space. They might continue to struggle(as the Titans do with ankle breaker wright) but we'll see things. Drops were always the focus of Cook and Britt on the field, but the two of them can really block well in the open field. One of them often gave CJ the block that freed him. I'm very confident Fisher is using this with Austin.

Off on a tangent- Bradford throws a way nicer ball than anyone he's had since McNair.

His focus was, and likely will always be, on the trenches. Even Rams fans that thought their DL was good enough have seen him commit more talent to the unit.

If his options are throw it often to Britt dropping the ball, Quick not reaching potential, and meh Givens then Stacy will get the rock and Mason will give him a breather til he can get it again. If these WRs pan out though, I think the world changes for that offense.

Despite what several articles state, it's not useful to hand the ball to Stacy a zillion times then mix it up by handing it to Mason and Austin. That's predictable, regardless who gets it. This is only fun and creative if they can pass well.

You're comparing them to the Saints and Pats and Packers and all these great offenses, but the Titans were possibly the worst franchise ever at drafting WRs including Calico. He didn't have much to work with and new and improved weapons often meant Roydell Williams or Courtney Roby or somesuch.

Most of his time...Fisher didn't have WRs in TEN. He had a TE and Mason. The 2nd WR got some hype but rarely produced.

Britt was the first time they invested a high pick in a WR in a very long time.

You can't really look back and say they should have thrown to X more.

It's my belief that Norm Chow showed Fish creativity. It failed, but at the same time, even when Dinger returned with the same O it looked like it had more juice to it.

Fisher was very excited to have Britt and Cook. Ultimately it frustrated him, but he used to be so excited to (finally) have gamebreakers with them and CJ. There are some good video interviews where he discusses slowly plodding up the field versus taking chances and he really explains the differences well in how you build a team and manage players.

I think we're going to see a significant improvement in the Rams effort to get Austin in space. They might continue to struggle(as the Titans do with ankle breaker wright) but we'll see things. Drops were always the focus of Cook and Britt on the field, but the two of them can really block well in the open field. One of them often gave CJ the block that freed him. I'm very confident Fisher is using this with Austin.

Off on a tangent- Bradford throws a way nicer ball than anyone he's had since McNair.

His focus was, and likely will always be, on the trenches. Even Rams fans that thought their DL was good enough have seen him commit more talent to the unit.

If his options are throw it often to Britt dropping the ball, Quick not reaching potential, and meh Givens then Stacy will get the rock and Mason will give him a breather til he can get it again. If these WRs pan out though, I think the world changes for that offense.

Despite what several articles state, it's not useful to hand the ball to Stacy a zillion times then mix it up by handing it to Mason and Austin. That's predictable, regardless who gets it. This is only fun and creative if they can pass well.

You're comparing them to the Saints and Pats and Packers and all these great offenses, but the Titans were possibly the worst franchise ever at drafting WRs including Calico. He didn't have much to work with and new and improved weapons often meant Roydell Williams or Courtney Roby or somesuch.
Until they demonstrate othewise Derrick Mason is twice the WR, at least, as anyone on the current Rams roster and there is no Frank Wycheck in sight on the Rams roster.

Also in Norm Chow's three seasons as OC in Tennessee they went from 25th to 14th to 1st in rushing attempts and 5th to 28th (twice) in passing attempts. So who was influencing who?

That all seems like hopeful speculation going up against a very strong and firmly entrenched history. IMO there is no way Jeff Fisher wants to see Sam Bradford on pace for a 600+ attempt season so Bradford had better improve his efficiency significantly if he wants to approach career best numbers because he isn't going to do it by being in a pass heavy offense like last year. Mind you I think he is capable of hitting 3,800 and 28 TDs but he's going to have to be better than he has ever been to do it.

So Bradford looked as decisive that I have seen him vs the Packers in today's game. He was really pushing the ball downfield and doing it successfully for 8.5 yards per attempt. It's only preseason but at least it's something.

Don't know who I feel worse for Bradford or Ram fans. Bradford really seems to be a great guy with a ton of talent that seems to be snake bit with injuries. But man as a Rams fan just as we start to feel some optimism the football gods love to squash it.

Sam at least has 50 mil to comfort himself with.....

Brutal

Yeah, feel bad for him. He's done as a starting QB. Too injury prone. On a fantasy note, it doesn't affect me at all as I've avoided drafting him in every league for years now for this exact reason.

Yeah, feel bad for him. He's done as a starting QB. Too injury prone. On a fantasy note, it doesn't affect me at all as I've avoided drafting him in every league for years now for this exact reason.
I agree. He is done as a starting Qb. He may get a chance to "compete" somewhere else in the future, but I won't hold my breathe.

I think we can safely chalk Bradford up as a bust... not because of his lack of talent, he just can't stay healthy.

Feels a little bit like the old Archie Manning situation.

It just never seems like the Rams have ever had an offensive system that fit his skills. he will get a new chance in a new town, hopefully he finally meets fruition.

Feels a little bit like the old Archie Manning situation.

It just never seems like the Rams have ever had an offensive system that fit his skills. he will get a new chance in a new town, hopefully he finally meets fruition.
Bradford played the majority of his career on a talentless team. Fisher has over hauled the roster and are in position to start competing and now Sam is hurt again. The way the Rams are being built, they don't need Peyton Manning at QB. They are going to pound the ball and play great D. If the Rams move away from Sam (likely), I think it's time for a Kaep / Wilson type of QB who can extend plays.

Send him to the Bills next season. We'll start him and we have the skill players to let him flourish.
The Rams currently have better skill players and a better o-line than the Bills.
OL yes, skill players extremely debatable. You're definitely deeper with viable skill players, but I'd take the top guys from the Bills at pretty much every position but TE, even though Cook is such a tease.

Send him to the Bills next season. We'll start him and we have the skill players to let him flourish.
The Rams currently have better skill players and a better o-line than the Bills.
OL yes, skill players extremely debatable. You're definitely deeper with viable skill players, but I'd take the top guys from the Bills at pretty much every position but TE, even though Cook is such a tease.
\Really depends on what Britt, Quick, Tavon and Bailey can do. Huge upside. And Cook is a freak. Love what he brings to the table. You can't cover him with LB's or safeties.

\Really depends on what Britt, Quick, Tavon and Bailey can do. Huge upside. And Cook is a freak. Love what he brings to the table. You can't cover him with LB's or safeties.
Sure, if he catches the ball he's a freak. Otherwise he's a distraction who looks really good getting off the bus. He has yet to put it together.I'd take Watkins/Williams/Woods over any combination of Rams WR's.

And I'd take the Bills RB corps over the Rams as well.

OL is where you could really have the large advantage, which would be important in any hypothetical situation where Bradford starts.

Britt and Quick looked unstoppable last night. Maybe the light has went on for both? Huge upside for both. Not many 6'4 220 lbs WR's that can run, leap and catch like them. They just need to put it all together.

Until he's hurt within the first 8 weeks of the season...including the 4 weeks of preseason. He's cursed. I'd rather give Manuel one more year to see if he can figure the game out.

@ChrisWesseling

Austin Davis has comp % > 69.0 and YPA > 7.5 in each of first 3 NFL games. Last time Sam Bradford could claim such a stretch was ... never.
Would have liked to see a healthy Sam play with this years version of Quick. Sam never had a go-to guy besides pee-wee Amendola.
Clayton was very effective for a while.
Sam made that journeyman WR look like a pro bowler

@ChrisWesseling

Austin Davis has comp % > 69.0 and YPA > 7.5 in each of first 3 NFL games. Last time Sam Bradford could claim such a stretch was ... never.
Would have liked to see a healthy Sam play with this years version of Quick. Sam never had a go-to guy besides pee-wee Amendola.
Be happy you have a QB that can last more than a couple weeks and appears to have potential after 3 NFL games.

@ChrisWesseling

Clayton was very effective for a while.
Sam made that journeyman WR look like a pro bowler
Unfortunately Clayton didn't catch on with the PBA either.

Users who are viewing this thread