What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dexter McCluster Upside? (1 Viewer)

M. Flak

Footballguy
Bloom brought up McCluster's name on his updated tiers and it got me thinking. He is an impressive physical specimen who can do amazing things when given the ball. Now there is talk of reworking him into a WR/RB hybrid (more so than he was before). The competition for carries is tough, but what if he is out there as a slot receiver/end-around/big-play guy. I hate to blaspheme, but could he be a Percy Harvin-like contributor? Obviously on a lesser scale, but once he's integrated, maybe a pace of 1000 total yards with a smattering of TD's?

Bloom brought up McCluster's name on his updated tiers and it got me thinking. He is an impressive physical specimen who can do amazing things when given the ball. Now there is talk of reworking him into a WR/RB hybrid (more so than he was before). The competition for carries is tough, but what if he is out there as a slot receiver/end-around/big-play guy. I hate to blaspheme, but could he be a Percy Harvin-like contributor? Obviously on a lesser scale, but once he's integrated, maybe a pace of 1000 total yards with a smattering of TD's?
Don't see the Chiefs throwing it enough to get McCluster up to those sorts of numbers. He's got very good skills, but KC has got Charles coming back and now Hillis in the fold. That means even more RB receptions than a year ago, and probably more rushing attempts relative to the offense as a whole. You've also got an improved Jon Baldwin and Tony Moeaki returning from injury, and it just seems like a numbers game will keep McCluster's counting stats low. He'll probably be a fairly useful player in real life but doubtful he'll see any lineups from a fantasy perspective unless there are an insane rash of injuries.

Definitely worth a flier.

He's been used solely in the slot during training camp, which seems to suit his skill set. I agree that he is a better real life player than a fantasy one, but if they do try and get him more involved in the passing game, he could be a great ppr bye week filler and/or flex play. Especially given the price you can get him at. I think he had 6 catches with the first unit in their 3rd preseason game.

I picked him up in all my leagues due to the fact he still has RB eligibility on ESPN.

In ppr leagues he could be a decent bye week fill in at the rb spot if he becomes fully integrated in the slot.

Anyone know when he becomes a FA? Id love to see NO replace Sproles with him. Prob dreaming but I'm just wondering how long I need to hold him for.

What are the chancs he takes the slot from breaston?
Breaston doesn't play the slot, he's outside.My issue with McCluster is if he hasn't done it yet I don't see it happening. His game is one of those that should translate quickly to the pros, or just into a role player. Looks like the latter. Lightning quick, but he's tiny and the big plays haven't been there. I think he'll be better out of the slot than he's been his first two seasons, but we're talking injury/bye week filler - nothing special.

Breaston doesn't play the slot, he's outside.My issue with McCluster is if he hasn't done it yet I don't see it happening. His game is one of those that should translate quickly to the pros, or just into a role player. Looks like the latter. Lightning quick, but he's tiny and the big plays haven't been there. I think he'll be better out of the slot than he's been his first two seasons, but we're talking injury/bye week filler - nothing special.
Not necessarily true. Baldwin is "expected" to start opposite Bowe this year, leaving Breaston, Dex, and Wylie to play out of the slot. Dex has outperformed all 3 slot players thus far. Just sayin

Not necessarily true. Baldwin is "expected" to start opposite Bowe this year, leaving Breaston, Dex, and Wylie to play out of the slot. Dex has outperformed all 3 slot players thus far. Just sayin
If Bowe and Baldwin are outside then Breaston rides more pine, he's not a slot WR.

Dave Richard at CBS is lobbying to get his designation changed to WR. It's supposed to be based on Chiefs final roster going into season, and they keep listing him as RB there. Only explanation I've seen for him still being RB is so they don't have to change his number.

So there's a chance CBS may change his designation still. Not sure of other sites.

I think he has most value as RB in PPR leagues. Less appealing as standard WR battling for catches, although I can see him getting around 3 to 5 a game.

If Bowe and Baldwin are outside then Breaston rides more pine, he's not a slot WR.
He had his best year out of the slot in AZ when they had Fitzy and Boldin

He had his best year out of the slot in AZ when they had Fitzy and Boldin
I recommend looking more into that, Breaston came out and said he wasn't a slot WR in Arizona despite all the reports saying otherwise. He was the 3rd WR, but he played outside, not in the slot.

Hmmm...looks like I like McCluster more than most.

Love his talent and think the slot is a perfect landing spot. Particularly with a QB like Cassell who was schooled in that Pats style offense.

I think he could turn into a consistent 50-60 catch per season guy with upside from there. Valuable in PPR leagues.

Hmmm...looks like I like McCluster more than most.Love his talent and think the slot is a perfect landing spot. Particularly with a QB like Cassell who was schooled in that Pats style offense.I think he could turn into a consistent 50-60 catch per season guy with upside from there. Valuable in PPR leagues.
I agree. I think he will have a nice year for KC. He's going to line up in multiple formations/spots, so he will get his touches whether its screen passes, work out of the slot, handoffs, and WR reverses.

Hmmm...looks like I like McCluster more than most.Love his talent and think the slot is a perfect landing spot. Particularly with a QB like Cassell who was schooled in that Pats style offense.I think he could turn into a consistent 50-60 catch per season guy with upside from there. Valuable in PPR leagues.
50-60 rec's at 10 ypc is not valuable, that's Andre Roberts 2011. He needs 80-90 rec or at the very least 70 or so and to start turning more of those underneath routes into TD's.

Hmmm...looks like I like McCluster more than most.YiLove his talent and think the slot is a perfect landing spot. Particularly with a QB like Cassell who was schooled in that Pats style offense.I think he could turn into a consistent 50-60 catch per season guy with upside from there. Valuable in PPR leagues.
50-60 rec's at 10 ypc is not valuable, that's Andre Roberts 2011. He needs 80-90 rec or at the very least 70 or so and to start turning more of those underneath routes into TD's.
More or less depends on league/roster sizes as to how valuable is defined...no?16 teams/35 spot rosters...those numbers are very valuable coming off the end of the bench. I will take that anyway, especially with upside from there.In any size PPR league I think 60 catches and the associated production are worth at least rostering.Take it FWIW to you, but Bloom took him in Round 24 of a 12 team 30 roster spot IDP league we are in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Dex, he has mobility and is hard to tackle down the middle. If the Chiefs want to create a dynamic game plan this year they will open up their offense more and use Dex alot more. This doesn't necessarily mean less toucher for the RBs, although they've clearly showed with the aquisition of HIllis that Charles (Disclaimer: I am not big on Charles) will be getting around 15-18 touches per game and Hillis around 10-15. If the offense has plans to stay on the field longer I think there is enough juice to go around here for Dex to have a fairly productive season. I like the idea of Cassell being a NE product and knows the value of having a great slot guy, I think this works in Dex favor. Also, remember he is a early 2nd round pick and I always give professional team scouts the benefit of the doubt that they know what they are drafting when they go after a guy like Dex, long story short the guy has a #### load of talent and it's up to the team to realize it, Dex has put enough on tape to show he is a unique talent.

This brings up the issue that was discussed in the other thread about projecting stats.

Over the last three seasons, the Chiefs as a team have completed 296, 274, and 299 passes. The RBs have caught 77, 74, and then last year only 33 with Charles out for almost the whole year. Hillis was hand-picked to tandem with Charles in the backfield, and each guy is a terrific receiver. So we can safely assume that the KC RBs will at least have at least 75 of an expected 300 or so completions.

The TEs have had 45, 60, and 34. Kind of all over the map, but Moeaki is back from a torn ACL and even though Boss is going to focus on being a blocker most likely, he has shown to be a very good receiving TE in the past. It can safely be assumed that they should pick up around 50.

That means that if KC is going to complete 300 passes this year, the wideouts will account for 175 catches. For all of Dwayne Bowe's faults, he's never had fewer than 70 catches over a ful1 16-game schedule before. Even if he only gets to exactly 70, that leaves 105 for the rest of the WRs. Let's give a minimal 10 to the Devon Wylies and Terrance Coppers of the world, leaving 95 for Breaston, McCluster and Baldwin. Unless you believe that Breaston and Baldwin are going to completely fizzle, I don't see any way for McCluster to get 60 catches. That would leave about one catch per game for and up-and-coming Baldwin and a very reliable Breaston.

Unless you believe the Chiefs will throw the ball not just more, but TONS more, than they did a year ago, the numbers just don't add up. Sure Cassel could conceivably complete a higher percentage now that there is better talent around him, but even if he matched his career-best from his NE season that would still only account for maybe 20 extra completions based on the expected number of attempts.

The Chiefs would need to complete at least 350 passes for McCluster to even have a shot at that many grabs, and that's only if he gets every extra reception there is. For frame of reference, Green Bay completed 376, San Diego 366, and the Giants 359. I don't see KC joining those teams in airing it out that much.

I like McCluster's potential to catch 50-60 balls this year if KC can continue to use him like they did in the week 3 preseason game.

The play choices KC used with McCluster last year didn't seem like a good fit to me. Can't treat him like a traditional RB, and often times it seemed like he'd have to make his own space after getting the ball. Get him in some space first, other than the backfield, and then get him the ball and he could be a real dangerous weapon.

Hmmm...looks like I like McCluster more than most.YiLove his talent and think the slot is a perfect landing spot. Particularly with a QB like Cassell who was schooled in that Pats style offense.I think he could turn into a consistent 50-60 catch per season guy with upside from there. Valuable in PPR leagues.
More or less depends on league/roster sizes as to how valuable is defined...no?16 teams/35 spot rosters...those numbers are valuable coming off the end of the bench. I will take that anyway.
Philosophy difference, I don't want my bench WR to have weak WR3 (16 team league) upside, I want him to have WR2 upside. I'd rather throw darts at 3 riskier guys and hope one hits. If they all miss then look for this year's Laurent, Doug Baldwin, or worst case Avant. A 50-60 rec, low ypr, low TD guy isn't going to do much to help you win any given week and you can find a 4/40/low probability TD on waivers.

This brings up the issue that was discussed in the other thread about projecting stats.Over the last three seasons, the Chiefs as a team have completed 296, 274, and 299 passes. The RBs have caught 77, 74, and then last year only 33 with Charles out for almost the whole year. Hillis was hand-picked to tandem with Charles in the backfield, and each guy is a terrific receiver. So we can safely assume that the KC RBs will at least have at least 75 of an expected 300 or so completions.The TEs have had 45, 60, and 34. Kind of all over the map, but Moeaki is back from a torn ACL and even though Boss is going to focus on being a blocker most likely, he has shown to be a very good receiving TE in the past. It can safely be assumed that they should pick up around 50.That means that if KC is going to complete 300 passes this year, the wideouts will account for 175 catches. For all of Dwayne Bowe's faults, he's never had fewer than 70 catches over a ful1 16-game schedule before. Even if he only gets to exactly 70, that leaves 105 for the rest of the WRs. Let's give a minimal 10 to the Devon Wylies and Terrance Coppers of the world, leaving 95 for Breaston, McCluster and Baldwin. Unless you believe that Breaston and Baldwin are going to completely fizzle, I don't see any way for McCluster to get 60 catches. That would leave about one catch per game for and up-and-coming Baldwin and a very reliable Breaston.Unless you believe the Chiefs will throw the ball not just more, but TONS more, than they did a year ago, the numbers just don't add up. Sure Cassel could conceivably complete a higher percentage now that there is better talent around him, but even if he matched his career-best from his NE season that would still only account for maybe 20 extra completions based on the expected number of attempts.The Chiefs would need to complete at least 350 passes for McCluster to even have a shot at that many grabs, and that's only if he gets every extra reception there is. For frame of reference, Green Bay completed 376, San Diego 366, and the Giants 359. I don't see KC joining those teams in airing it out that much.
Very well thought out post.Much of my perspective is based on preseason usage to date.Maybe that had painted an overly optimistic picture to me.Oh well, I still love the guys talent and opportunity (maybe).

I hope they don't change his position status. I want to be able to use him as a bye week filler at RB...especially with a point per reception.

This brings up the issue that was discussed in the other thread about projecting stats.Over the last three seasons, the Chiefs as a team have completed 296, 274, and 299 passes. The RBs have caught 77, 74, and then last year only 33 with Charles out for almost the whole year. Hillis was hand-picked to tandem with Charles in the backfield, and each guy is a terrific receiver. So we can safely assume that the KC RBs will at least have at least 75 of an expected 300 or so completions.The TEs have had 45, 60, and 34. Kind of all over the map, but Moeaki is back from a torn ACL and even though Boss is going to focus on being a blocker most likely, he has shown to be a very good receiving TE in the past. It can safely be assumed that they should pick up around 50.That means that if KC is going to complete 300 passes this year, the wideouts will account for 175 catches. For all of Dwayne Bowe's faults, he's never had fewer than 70 catches over a ful1 16-game schedule before. Even if he only gets to exactly 70, that leaves 105 for the rest of the WRs. Let's give a minimal 10 to the Devon Wylies and Terrance Coppers of the world, leaving 95 for Breaston, McCluster and Baldwin. Unless you believe that Breaston and Baldwin are going to completely fizzle, I don't see any way for McCluster to get 60 catches. That would leave about one catch per game for and up-and-coming Baldwin and a very reliable Breaston.Unless you believe the Chiefs will throw the ball not just more, but TONS more, than they did a year ago, the numbers just don't add up. Sure Cassel could conceivably complete a higher percentage now that there is better talent around him, but even if he matched his career-best from his NE season that would still only account for maybe 20 extra completions based on the expected number of attempts.The Chiefs would need to complete at least 350 passes for McCluster to even have a shot at that many grabs, and that's only if he gets every extra reception there is. For frame of reference, Green Bay completed 376, San Diego 366, and the Giants 359. I don't see KC joining those teams in airing it out that much.
Very well thought out post.Much of my perspective is based on preseason usage to date.Maybe that had painted an overly optimistic picture to me.Oh well, I still love the guys talent and opportunity (maybe).
Hey bud, I'm with you on the talent. I expected McCluster to have a big season a year ago, now I see the situation less as an indictment of his talent and more an issue of too many mouths to feed.That said, the worst thing you can do is let someone talk you out of a guy you really believe in. The last two rounds of the draft have a very specific purpose -- 1) to take a kicker and 2) to try and hit a grand slam. Most likely nobody else will be fighting you for Dex in a standard league, so take your shot and see what happens!

Another important element that could boost McCluster's value is that Cassel is a meek-minded QB. He will take the checkdown/safe play instead of testing the defense/throwing a receiver open in most scenarios. That's why Welker's numbers didn't really suffer with Cassel. Brian Daboll is from the NE coaching tree and this fact probably did not escape him. McCluster is sitting down dead spots in the defense, especially in the two-minute drill, and Cassel is finding him at will. They have terrific chemistry and I believe the potential there for more than 50-60 catches... we may see McCluster get the 3-4 catches a game that would project on one drive during games if teams aren't defending him well.

I don't know why ESPN can't make this guy WR eligible. How ridiculous.
i sent them an email about telling them the official depth chart lists him as a WR... they sent me this in reply:
Dear Drew,Thank you for playing ESPN Fantasy Football.Here is an explanation of the position eligibility rules from the 'Additional Notes' page within the fantasy football rules page;Before each season begins, our system receives an updated report that details every fantasy football player with their listed position heading into the new season. This includes rookies as well as veterans. The listed primary positions are fixed and will not change for the duration of the season.NOTE: In League Manager Leagues the league manager cannot change the listed position of any player in the game.I apologize for any frustration this may cause.For more information about ESPN Fantasy Football rules feel free to visit the FFL rules page at the link below.
whoever provides this report is a fool. they've said all offseason he will play the slot.

I don't know why ESPN can't make this guy WR eligible. How ridiculous.
i sent them an email about telling them the official depth chart lists him as a WR... they sent me this in reply:
Dear Drew,

Thank you for playing ESPN Fantasy Football.

Here is an explanation of the position eligibility rules from the 'Additional Notes' page within the fantasy football rules page;

Before each season begins, our system receives an updated report that details every fantasy football player with their listed position heading into the new season. This includes rookies as well as veterans. The listed primary positions are fixed and will not change for the duration of the season.

NOTE: In League Manager Leagues the league manager cannot change the listed position of any player in the game.

I apologize for any frustration this may cause.

For more information about ESPN Fantasy Football rules feel free to visit the FFL rules page at the link below.
whoever provides this report is a fool. they've said all offseason he will play the slot.
The dumbest thing about it is that he was RB/WR eligible last year on ESPN, and he's a WR on the Chiefs official website. Also, ESPN changed eligibility in-season last year as well.

The dumbest thing about it is that he was RB/WR eligible last year on ESPN, and he's a WR on the Chiefs official website. Also, ESPN changed eligibility in-season last year as well.
Same with Yahoo, he was RB/WR his first to years, now he's listed as an RB.

??In my Yahoo league his player profile page says "WR" but his designation says "RB/WR".
Hrm. I swear it was RB a week ago when I checked it, but I don't think Yahoo! changes positional eligibility, so I must just be losing my mind. My mistake.

Isn't he a RB on ESPN? How can anyone complain about that? RB are too thin this year. The more quality RB the better.
I think the complaint might be that the "dual designation" itself is a bit of a contentious issue. I'm not a big fan of being able to "flex" a player. As a commish I find it usually leads to grumbling...

I think the chiefs changed his designation. All the sites re adjusting in their own ways.??

In my Yahoo league his player profile page says "WR" but his designation says "RB/WR".
Hrm. I swear it was RB a week ago when I checked it, but I don't think Yahoo! changes positional eligibility, so I must just be losing my mind. My mistake.

Another important element that could boost McCluster's value is that Cassel is a meek-minded QB. He will take the checkdown/safe play instead of testing the defense/throwing a receiver open in most scenarios. That's why Welker's numbers didn't really suffer with Cassel. Brian Daboll is from the NE coaching tree and this fact probably did not escape him. McCluster is sitting down dead spots in the defense, especially in the two-minute drill, and Cassel is finding him at will. They have terrific chemistry and I believe the potential there for more than 50-60 catches... we may see McCluster get the 3-4 catches a game that would project on one drive during games if teams aren't defending him well.
:goodposting: It doesn't bode well for Baldwin as long as Cassel is the QB. I was also surprised by the lack of involvement by Breaston.

I picked Mccluster in the next to last round in any draft I had this year. From the slot, I think the guy can be dangerous and pretty valuable to a PPR fantasy team. Take a gander at Cobb in Green Bay, and then the way they used Mccluster in KC. I think you are seeing that these teams who have too many WR are finding valuable ways to use them. Basically as a 3rd down back.

FWIW, I was ready to call his 3rd preseason game a fluke. He caught 7 for 60 something yards and a TD on around 10 targets. Then he comes out in the 1st regular season game and does the same thing.

While I am not crowning the guy as the next Welker, or saying that the slot job is his. I am just saying that I am becoming more and more accustomed to the idea. I will not give up on the idea easily, because to have a player like that on your bench is invaluable when injuries strike, or bye weeks pop up.

If he ends up being more than what people think, then it's a plus

I find it funny that like Matt Ryan I back doored into a guy I was not as high on as many, guess my leaguemates felt the same. He was sitting out there in a dyno (limited roster room) but with Collie IR eligible I was able to stash him before the games Sunday. 6/82 is a far cry from the < 10 ypr guy he has been in the past, more of that and there's value here.

Mccluster outside of return leagues is a nonfactor.
:crazy:15.2 in ppr (without a TD) is low wr2 territory. And on a team likely to play from behind is pretty nice from a late teens/we pickup.
You expect a scat back to be putting up those numbers every week?I have been hearing about Mccluster since the beginning of the 2011 seasno, the curse of living in missouri.He is a kick returner... hes the #2 behind Arenas.Is 50 rec 100 attempts year (what I have him projected) startable in a 12 team league? Thats well below flex in my opinion, and knowing full well that he is their 5th receiving option 7th if you include backs.He is very much a less talented Sproles. On an offense much worse than sproles has ever been on, which makes him less not more valuable.

Mccluster outside of return leagues is a nonfactor.
:crazy:15.2 in ppr (without a TD) is low wr2 territory. And on a team likely to play from behind is pretty nice from a late teens/we pickup.
I think consistency is going to be a major problem for McCluster. There's too many mouths to feed and not enough offense to feed it. I could be wrong though and the Chiefs may be planning on making him a focal point in the passing game instead of developing Baldwin.

Users who are viewing this thread