What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My life with ADHD (1 Viewer)

Bob Loblaw

Footballguy
In Feb/March 2012, I was diagnosed with Adult ADHD. I was prescribed Adderall XR (started at 5 mg, now at 15 mg). I am married with 3 kids, and my ADHD is seriously affecting my marriage in a negative way.

I don't want to get into the minutiae of my issues just yet. But I am interested to hear how others have successfully managed their ADHD.

I have troubles with time management, conflict resolution, follow-through, and focus. Also, I don't mean to be self-centered, but I tend to consider myself before others. Even if it's something that I am already doing for someone else, I subconsciously think about how it's affecting me (i.e. when changing my daughter's diaper, I think "why do I always have to change it? my wife should be doing it too"). Some instances I am right, most I'm wrong, but in every instance, my first thought is me. Even if it's for half a second, it's still me.

I've read Orlov and Hallowell's The ADHD Effect on Marriage, attended classes thru Kaiser on ADHD, read a ton of other literature on the subject, but I just can't seem to put it all together.

Any help/suggestions is/are greatly appreciated.

Is the ADHS the only thing being treated? No depression or anxiety?

I'm not going to tell you I have this licked or anything. It's a constant struggle. But I found that treating the concentration issues only worked after I treated the anxiety issues. I would dread starting a project and all the stimulants in the world wouldn't change that. So I was prescribed Zoloft first and then went on the adderall. I don't know what you mean when you say you have problems with conflict resolution. Do you avoid conflict (which suggests anxiety)? Or do you just piss people off (which maybe suggests depression)?

What I've always found to be helpful is...SQUIRRELL!!

:P

OK, seriously, I know a couple of guys with Adult ADHD and I can see how it impacts their lives. I don't have any advice, but I will pray for you. They've shared some of their struggles with me and I really feel for them and you.

Have you ever thought that being different is not necessarily a bad thing? This "condition" allows you to function differently than other people and probably means you are above average intelligence with a lot of other "good" traits as well. You may not deal with people as well as others around you may like but who cares??

Embrace yourself and your differences. Discuss them openly with your wife and you will see that this does not need to be treated as a negative condition. There are both positive and negative attributes associated with ADHD that make you who you are. Drugging yourself to be more socially acceptable seems :confused: to me.

Pretty sure I've had ADHD my entire life. Never sought any treatment. Look how great I turned out.

I'm being totally serious when I ask this question: Have you smoked pot and if so, how did you feel in regards to ADHD. Maybe you didn't look at it through that prism, maybe you should.

Is the ADHS the only thing being treated? No depression or anxiety? I'm not going to tell you I have this licked or anything. It's a constant struggle. But I found that treating the concentration issues only worked after I treated the anxiety issues. I would dread starting a project and all the stimulants in the world wouldn't change that. So I was prescribed Zoloft first and then went on the adderall. I don't know what you mean when you say you have problems with conflict resolution. Do you avoid conflict (which suggests anxiety)? Or do you just piss people off (which maybe suggests depression)?
I have not been diagnosed with depression or anxiety. The two came up during my therapy sessions with both the therapist, and then the psychiatrist. But they were seen more as symptoms caused by ADHD, rather than issues independent of ADHD. The conflict resolution issue is only a problem when dealing with my wife. It's probably because she knows me so well and can see through the BS, and because she's been living with me for close to ten years now. She'll comment on something that I've done (or haven't done) and how it's a problem. And then I'll say "I'm sorry, it'll never happen again," hoping that that will suffice. When the apology isn't received well, I get mad/angry/frustrated that the apology does solve the problem, and then it spirals out of control. It's been suggested that I not just apologize, but offer up a resolution. I understand that that would be great, but in that moment, I, for whatever reason, am just unable to come up with a solution. I guess it's feeling the pressure of the moment, or being flustered (I know, sounds like anxiety).

'Addai said:
I'm being totally serious when I ask this question: Have you smoked pot and if so, how did you feel in regards to ADHD. Maybe you didn't look at it through that prism, maybe you should.
I may have in college and a couple of years post-college, but cannot recollect to the best of my knowledge. And if I did, ADHD wasn't on my radar. I was just seen as a procrastinator that worked well under pressure. Definitely, not the case anymore.

'mr. peanut said:
Have you ever thought that being different is not necessarily a bad thing? This "condition" allows you to function differently than other people and probably means you are above average intelligence with a lot of other "good" traits as well. You may not deal with people as well as others around you may like but who cares?? Embrace yourself and your differences. Discuss them openly with your wife and you will see that this does not need to be treated as a negative condition. There are both positive and negative attributes associated with ADHD that make you who you are. Drugging yourself to be more socially acceptable seems :confused: to me.
I don't think it's a matter of being more socially acceptable. I have no doubt that my ability to pick things up quickly and be a bit of a polymath are probably the flip side of the coin. The fact remains that there are very few jobs that really compensate you very well for the ability to engage with something pretty well for 20 minutes at a time. There are times when I need to write a 30 page brief. And I do that better when I'm treated.Maybe I'm better suited to the controlled chaos of trial work, but the better paying jobs don't let you start out trying cases.

'mr. peanut said:
Have you ever thought that being different is not necessarily a bad thing? This "condition" allows you to function differently than other people and probably means you are above average intelligence with a lot of other "good" traits as well. You may not deal with people as well as others around you may like but who cares?? Embrace yourself and your differences. Discuss them openly with your wife and you will see that this does not need to be treated as a negative condition. There are both positive and negative attributes associated with ADHD that make you who you are. Drugging yourself to be more socially acceptable seems :confused: to me.
I appreciate your optimism and kind thoughts. I do share your points of view. I do recognize that being different isn't bad. I admit that I have this condition. I don't deny it. My wife and I have discussed our differences in a calm and loving manner. It becomes a problem when those differences lead me to not be as responsible as I should be, or when they put so much more of the responsibility on my wife.

'Bob Loblaw said:
'Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
Is the ADHS the only thing being treated? No depression or anxiety? I'm not going to tell you I have this licked or anything. It's a constant struggle. But I found that treating the concentration issues only worked after I treated the anxiety issues. I would dread starting a project and all the stimulants in the world wouldn't change that. So I was prescribed Zoloft first and then went on the adderall. I don't know what you mean when you say you have problems with conflict resolution. Do you avoid conflict (which suggests anxiety)? Or do you just piss people off (which maybe suggests depression)?
I have not been diagnosed with depression or anxiety. The two came up during my therapy sessions with both the therapist, and then the psychiatrist. But they were seen more as symptoms caused by ADHD, rather than issues independent of ADHD. The conflict resolution issue is only a problem when dealing with my wife. It's probably because she knows me so well and can see through the BS, and because she's been living with me for close to ten years now. She'll comment on something that I've done (or haven't done) and how it's a problem. And then I'll say "I'm sorry, it'll never happen again," hoping that that will suffice. When the apology isn't received well, I get mad/angry/frustrated that the apology does solve the problem, and then it spirals out of control. It's been suggested that I not just apologize, but offer up a resolution. I understand that that would be great, but in that moment, I, for whatever reason, am just unable to come up with a solution. I guess it's feeling the pressure of the moment, or being flustered (I know, sounds like anxiety).
What were you in therapy for in the first place? Treatment of this or for something else?Have you tried any other meds? Is there/was there any improvement on the Adderall? Dexedrine and other meds could be tried to see if the adderall is not being effective.

'mr. peanut said:
I appreciate your optimism and kind thoughts. I do share your points of view. I do recognize that being different isn't bad. I admit that I have this condition. I don't deny it. My wife and I have discussed our differences in a calm and loving manner. It becomes a problem when those differences lead me to not be as responsible as I should be, or when they put so much more of the responsibility on my wife.
It's also a problem when we're talking about normal everyday things, and I cut her off mid-sentence so I can tell the dog to stop scratching at it's food bowl, I'll feed you in a minute. Or, when mid-conversation, a car will drive past our house and the sun will reflect off the car's window and catch my eye, and instead of paying attention to my speaking wife :hophead: , I need to look away from her and follow the car with my eyes and wonder who that was driving down our cul-de-sac. Or when I've done the right thing and am showing interest in her (how was your day, what's happening in your world?), I listen for a couple of sentences, and interject with how something that happened to her was just like something that happened to me, and what my thoughts were on my experience, and she's left there standing, not having finished her answer. I guess in isolated instances that isn't that wrong, but when it's the norm, I can see it as a problem.

It's also a problem when we're talking about normal everyday things, and I cut her off mid-sentence so I can tell the dog to stop scratching at it's food bowl, I'll feed you in a minute. Or, when mid-conversation, a car will drive past our house and the sun will reflect off the car's window and catch my eye, and instead of paying attention to my speaking wife :hophead: , I need to look away from her and follow the car with my eyes and wonder who that was driving down our cul-de-sac. Or when I've done the right thing and am showing interest in her (how was your day, what's happening in your world?), I listen for a couple of sentences, and interject with how something that happened to her was just like something that happened to me, and what my thoughts were on my experience, and she's left there standing, not having finished her answer. I guess in isolated instances that isn't that wrong, but when it's the norm, I can see it as a problem.
You can always marry someone else with ADD. I do all that **** to my wife, but she can't really complain because she does it right back to me. Not ideal. Serious suggestion. Don't promise to never do it again. Apologize. Listen to her story. Explain that you are genuinely sorry. But that this is going to happen and that you won't get mad if she calls you on it. We are what we are. A short attention span and someone's who's shtick you've heard for over a decade is going to produce a pretty predictable result.

'Bob Loblaw said:
'Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
What were you in therapy for in the first place? Treatment of this or for something else?Have you tried any other meds? Is there/was there any improvement on the Adderall? Dexedrine and other meds could be tried to see if the adderall is not being effective.
I was in therapy because, after years of fighting over the same stuff, my wife did some research, and came across a list of ADHD traits. She showed the list to me, and we both commented on how my behaviors, actions and thought processes mirrored a lot of the list. So, I decided to contact Kaiser to get a proper diagnosis. I wanted to see if ADHD was in fact the underlying reason for why I behaved the way I did. I was tired of fighting, tired of not getting along with my wife, and I wanted to find a solution. I was hesitant at first thought, but realized that it was worth a shot.

My wife swears I have A.D.D or something like it. I think it is just a label that is placed on me for liking to spend hours looking at pron.

My brothers and my father have it. I've never been tested, but I'm pretty sure I have it as well.

I've learned to make a lot of lists and structure my days with clear goals. If my wife wants something done she knows she has to get it on the list.

Your wife is going to have to understand and work with you as well. Everybody has hang-ups. ADHD is definitely something you can live with and be successful in relationships, friendships, and careers.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can always marry someone else with ADD. I do all that **** to my wife, but she can't really complain because she does it right back to me. Not ideal. Serious suggestion. Don't promise to never do it again. Apologize. Listen to her story. Explain that you are genuinely sorry. But that this is going to happen and that you won't get mad if she calls you on it. We are what we are. A short attention span and someone's who's shtick you've heard for over a decade is going to produce a pretty predictable result.
This is good advice, in my opinion. Don't promise that these things will never happen again because that's a promise you can't keep. These things are going to happen. Your wife has to understand that this isn't something you can just fix by "trying harder." It doesn't work that way.

In all seriousness, read this book: Lead Like Jesus

I also have adult adhd and this book has been a great start in getting me to change my paradigms about what my priorities are. Of course, if you hate religion or think that it is b.s, you might not like this suggestion, but I felt that there were many concepts that allowed a person to reform themselves into servant leaders, especially in the home. A reversal in thinking might help you get away from the 'me' centered way of life that ultimately destroys relationships and other things in your life.

'mr. peanut said:
I also have it and it's natural for me to do things that are considered rude (look away when something catches my attention, check my phone often etc.) but I just have to work very hard to try to reduce those tendencies. Also, making lists and routines is very helpful.

I also have adult adhd and this book has been a great start in getting me to change my paradigms about what my priorities are. Of course, if you hate religion or think that it is b.s, you might not like this suggestion, but I felt that there were many concepts that allowed a person to reform themselves into servant leaders, especially in the home. A reversal in thinking might help you get away from the 'me' centered way of life that ultimately destroys relationships and other things in your life.
I don't hate religion. I do feel a change in what my priorities are is necessary. Does this book suggest letting God/Jesus run my life? While going to a Catholic middle school, high school and college, I have never been a really devout Catholic, or overly religious person. I don't go to church on Sundays.

I don't hate religion. I do feel a change in what my priorities are is necessary.
It is a good book...it makes sense. Ultimately, if you want to save your marriage, you will probably have to shift gears anyways.

I was recently put on vyvanse for the same thing. It's really seemed to help with regards to my ability to focus on a single thing instead of having 4 different thoughts going on in my head at the same time.

What effects have you seen from the Adderall

Very interested in this thread because I believe my adult (23) son may have ADHD. Can you share the list of traits you came across that led to your visit to Kaiser? Procrastination, conflict resolution issues, self centered, can't focus for too long, etc. He is a great kid, great personality and good at a lot of things. Struggled some in high school and he's been on the 5 1/2 year plan in college. After going on a guys golf trip where one of them just was diagnosed with ADHD I began to really look at it, and even suggested to my son that he might want to get tested. He hasn't followed through with that (no surprise), but I'm really starting to think it's the case. When they don't show the "hyper" and just appear lazy or undisciplined, it's hard to know what's real.

Good luck. Like the fact you are hitting it head on.

Very interested in this thread because I believe my adult (23) son may have ADHD. Can you share the list of traits you came across that led to your visit to Kaiser? Procrastination, conflict resolution issues, self centered, can't focus for too long, etc. He is a great kid, great personality and good at a lot of things. Struggled some in high school and he's been on the 5 1/2 year plan in college. After going on a guys golf trip where one of them just was diagnosed with ADHD I began to really look at it, and even suggested to my son that he might want to get tested. He hasn't followed through with that (no surprise), but I'm really starting to think it's the case. When they don't show the "hyper" and just appear lazy or undisciplined, it's hard to know what's real.Good luck. Like the fact you are hitting it head on.
I never really showed the "hyper" either, and teachers always thought I was just lazy. A few things I've noticed that differentiate me from most people who don't have ADHD.1. A desire to constantly be multi-tasking. I always like to be on my computer or be reading a book while watching TV. I definitely need a lot more external stimulation than most other people I know.2. Very forgetful in the short-term. I have a great long-term memory, but I'm constantly forgetting where I put things etc.3. The big one is that when people around me would talk about their reactions to Adderall when they took it to study, they described a kind of hyperfocus where they could write a long paper in a matter of hours etc. When I take it, and people who actually have it take it, it's not a kind of tunnel vision or anything like that. It's more that I have the ability to pay attention to what someone is saying for a longer period of time, or to sit still for a longer period of time without fidgeting etc. What you would consider normal behavior from someone without ADHD.

Very interested in this thread because I believe my adult (23) son may have ADHD. Can you share the list of traits you came across that led to your visit to Kaiser? Procrastination, conflict resolution issues, self centered, can't focus for too long, etc. He is a great kid, great personality and good at a lot of things. Struggled some in high school and he's been on the 5 1/2 year plan in college. After going on a guys golf trip where one of them just was diagnosed with ADHD I began to really look at it, and even suggested to my son that he might want to get tested. He hasn't followed through with that (no surprise), but I'm really starting to think it's the case. When they don't show the "hyper" and just appear lazy or undisciplined, it's hard to know what's real.Good luck. Like the fact you are hitting it head on.
I never really showed the "hyper" either, and teachers always thought I was just lazy. A few things I've noticed that differentiate me from most people who don't have ADHD.1. A desire to constantly be multi-tasking. I always like to be on my computer or be reading a book while watching TV. I definitely need a lot more external stimulation than most other people I know.2. Very forgetful in the short-term. I have a great long-term memory, but I'm constantly forgetting where I put things etc.3. The big one is that when people around me would talk about their reactions to Adderall when they took it to study, they described a kind of hyperfocus where they could write a long paper in a matter of hours etc. When I take it, and people who actually have it take it, it's not a kind of tunnel vision or anything like that. It's more that I have the ability to pay attention to what someone is saying for a longer period of time, or to sit still for a longer period of time without fidgeting etc. What you would consider normal behavior from someone without ADHD.
I think a lot of it is brain development in this insanely stimulating world. I used to love watching movies and sports. I would sit and watch a movie or game the whole way through with great interest. Now, I can't sit through a movie or a game without being on the internet the whole time. Even then, I am on 4 different sites while watching the game while flipping to another game and a cooking show and seeing what else is on 200 channels. It is bad andI wasn't always this way.

:goodposting:

'Marvin said:
Pretty sure I've had ADHD my entire life. Never sought any treatment. Look how great I turned out.
I've got all the minor symptoms as well, but I've been lucky to just deal with it on a daily basis. Getting divorced probably helped me a lot though. :mellow:

I'm a long time lurker at FootballGuys, but your post inspired me to join and speak up. I am a HUGE fan of the ground-breaking work done by Daniel Amen on ADD. He's found that intense exercise combined with a high protein, low carbohydrate diet and no sugar and little caffeine can provide the same focus effects as Adderrall, Ritalin, etc.

Many people can give themselves ADD symptoms by what they eat and drink. 2 doughnuts combined with coffee and creamer can make it hard for anyone to focus. Your diet is critical to ADD.

Dr. Amen also has supplementation programs designed for the 5 different types of ADD. His clinic does SPECT scans that measure activity in the various centers of the brain to know more about where the brain issues are. I'm dying to do one but I think they're $3500 or something outrageous.

Check out his book Change Your Brain Change Your Body. I'm sure it's at the library. He also has seminars on PBS from time to time. Let me know if there's anything in there that's helpful.

I know there are online support groups for ADD. I'd recommend joining one to learn and interact with others that are experiencing similar issues. Good luck!

I'm a long time lurker at FootballGuys, but your post inspired me to join and speak up. I am a HUGE fan of the ground-breaking work done by Daniel Amen on ADD. He's found that intense exercise combined with a high protein, low carbohydrate diet and no sugar and little caffeine can provide the same focus effects as Adderrall, Ritalin, etc.Many people can give themselves ADD symptoms by what they eat and drink. 2 doughnuts combined with coffee and creamer can make it hard for anyone to focus. Your diet is critical to ADD.Dr. Amen also has supplementation programs designed for the 5 different types of ADD. His clinic does SPECT scans that measure activity in the various centers of the brain to know more about where the brain issues are. I'm dying to do one but I think they're $3500 or something outrageous.Check out his book Change Your Brain Change Your Body. I'm sure it's at the library. He also has seminars on PBS from time to time. Let me know if there's anything in there that's helpful.I know there are online support groups for ADD. I'd recommend joining one to learn and interact with others that are experiencing similar issues. Good luck!
I've never had a cup of coffee in my life, drink tea infrequently, don't drink soda. I eat 4-6 servings of fruit and veggies a day and snack on raw nutsI will snack occasionally on candy or stuff like that, so I'm not saying I'm perfect, but even with a low caffeine/sugar intake, I still had major difficulties focusing. :shrug:ETA - I suppose my major source of carbs is actually beer...Edit2 - I guess I should have keyed in on the word *can* and not taking it as a *will* I suppose at this point my post is rather useless...

I'm a long time lurker at FootballGuys, but your post inspired me to join and speak up. I am a HUGE fan of the ground-breaking work done by Daniel Amen on ADD. He's found that intense exercise combined with a high protein, low carbohydrate diet and no sugar and little caffeine can provide the same focus effects as Adderrall, Ritalin, etc.Many people can give themselves ADD symptoms by what they eat and drink. 2 doughnuts combined with coffee and creamer can make it hard for anyone to focus. Your diet is critical to ADD.Dr. Amen also has supplementation programs designed for the 5 different types of ADD. His clinic does SPECT scans that measure activity in the various centers of the brain to know more about where the brain issues are. I'm dying to do one but I think they're $3500 or something outrageous.Check out his book Change Your Brain Change Your Body. I'm sure it's at the library. He also has seminars on PBS from time to time. Let me know if there's anything in there that's helpful.I know there are online support groups for ADD. I'd recommend joining one to learn and interact with others that are experiencing similar issues. Good luck!
After some research, I get a snake oil salesman vibe from this guy. At the very least, his work is highly controversial.

I don't think he's a snake oil salesman. The point being that nutrition, exercise, and supplements can have a wondrous effect on the quality of life for people with ADD. I wasn't convinced that I had ADD until I did his checklist so I always be thankful for that.

Still say his work is worth checking out, but any extra education and support is recommended. There are other ADD resources for sure, I just like Amen's the best.

'knightmcgee said:
I don't think he's a snake oil salesman. The point being that nutrition, exercise, and supplements can have a wondrous effect on the quality of life for people with ADD. I wasn't convinced that I had ADD until I did his checklist so I always be thankful for that.Still say his work is worth checking out, but any extra education and support is recommended. There are other ADD resources for sure, I just like Amen's the best.
i have to strongly disagree. What the guy is recommending would help everybody out and is good advice overall, but there is a huge difference between actually having ADD or ADHD, and having some behaviors or tendencies like them. Don't get me wrong, i'm sincerely glad it helped you, but if i had a dollar for everyone who told me how to cure ADHD (no sugar diet, yoga and meditation, etc.) i would be in good shape. some resources i can think of off the top of my head are chadd.org, and stuff from Russel Barkley. Funny thing is i don't agree with some of what he says, but he is seen as the expert on ADD and adult ADD

As far I know there is no cure for ADD it's about living with it. Everyone is different and I can only speak for myself.

Almost everyone I know that takes Adderall doesn't have ADD, they just want an easy fix to focus. The one person I do know on Adderall literally can't function without it. His symptoms are totally different from mine.

I've never heard of Russel Barkley but I will check him out!

As far I know there is no cure for ADD it's about living with it. Everyone is different and I can only speak for myself. Almost everyone I know that takes Adderall doesn't have ADD, they just want an easy fix to focus. The one person I do know on Adderall literally can't function without it. His symptoms are totally different from mine.I've never heard of Russel Barkley but I will check him out!
yeah, i didn't mean to sound like a ####. I'm glad you found something that works for you, and research has shown that things like eating healthy and exercise help. and it is a shame about how recreational the meds have become, it makes people think ADD is no big deal, ignoring the need your other buddy has. but good. Like i said, i don't agree with everything Barkley has to say, but he has been studying ADD for 20+ years

Is the ADHS the only thing being treated? No depression or anxiety?

I'm not going to tell you I have this licked or anything. It's a constant struggle. But I found that treating the concentration issues only worked after I treated the anxiety issues. I would dread starting a project and all the stimulants in the world wouldn't change that. So I was prescribed Zoloft first and then went on the adderall. I don't know what you mean when you say you have problems with conflict resolution. Do you avoid conflict (which suggests anxiety)? Or do you just piss people off (which maybe suggests depression)?
I have not been diagnosed with depression or anxiety. The two came up during my therapy sessions with both the therapist, and then the psychiatrist. But they were seen more as symptoms caused by ADHD, rather than issues independent of ADHD. The conflict resolution issue is only a problem when dealing with my wife. It's probably because she knows me so well and can see through the BS, and because she's been living with me for close to ten years now. She'll comment on something that I've done (or haven't done) and how it's a problem. And then I'll say "I'm sorry, it'll never happen again," hoping that that will suffice. When the apology isn't received well, I get mad/angry/frustrated that the apology does solve the problem, and then it spirals out of control.]/b] It's been suggested that I not just apologize, but offer up a resolution. I understand that that would be great, but in that moment, I, for whatever reason, am just unable to come up with a solution. I guess it's feeling the pressure of the moment, or being flustered (I know, sounds like anxiety).
Have you considered having her write down what she sees as a problem? Then you get to sit down by yourself and consider a response without the pressure? Let her read it and then discuss it. Writing also engages a different part of the brain, which might help. And the whole coversation would be slower and reviewable. (And the person upstream was right. Don't promise not to do it again. If whatever it is is likely to happen again, it will just make her angry.)

Avoid drinking soda while taking Adderall.
This caught my attention so I Googled it.This question has two answers. Diet Coke has caffeine in it and caffeine works on the brain the same way Adderall works on the brain. Therefore, the initial effect of mixing the two may be to increase the effect of Adderall. However, caffeine is also a diuretic and diuretics have the effect of washing Adderall out of your system. Therefore, drinking any significant amount of diet coke will decrease, if not totally eliminate, the effect of Adderall.

####! :rant:

Users who are viewing this thread