What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** 2012 Washington Redskins Season Thread (1 Viewer)

These young guys on the team haven't learned how to turn a victory into a defeat. May they never learn.

That was so awesome that I'm not even sure how I'm supposed to feel. It's been so long since we've seen QB play like that, not to mention their total failure to make a series of boneheaded plays and lose the game. I am confused...

Very odd to watch The Skins in an offensive shootout.

Luck with 3 INTs

Weeden with 4

Tannehill with 3

Yeah I'm stoked with RG3

I blew off going to see my mom today in the retirement home which I'm pretty much obligated to do on Sundays. I'm going to hell I guess. No regrets though.

Well, that was pretty farking awesome.

I'm not going to be so foolish as to predict playoffs or anything...or even 8 wins.

However, one thing I can say now that I've seen RGIII in real game action: I think he's the real deal, and a guy that we will build this team around and eventually win with. A few plays he made really made me stand up and take notice. The one in particular that was really impressive was when he scrambled to his left, avoided a tackler who would have brought down Rex for sure, then threw all the way across the other side of the field to hit Fred Davis right smack on the sideline with a perfect pass.

Not to mention, staying so cool and calm in his debut and not even throwing one Interception in his ROOKIE debut.

Who knows where we'll end up this season, but definitely he's the real deal and I have no doubt that long term the Redskins will turn the ship around.

Well, that was pretty farking awesome. I'm not going to be so foolish as to predict playoffs or anything...or even 8 wins.However, one thing I can say now that I've seen RGIII in real game action: I think he's the real deal, and a guy that we will build this team around and eventually win with. A few plays he made really made me stand up and take notice. The one in particular that was really impressive was when he scrambled to his left, avoided a tackler who would have brought down Rex for sure, then threw all the way across the other side of the field to hit Fred Davis right smack on the sideline with a perfect pass. Not to mention, staying so cool and calm in his debut and not even throwing one Interception in his ROOKIE debut. Who knows where we'll end up this season, but definitely he's the real deal and I have no doubt that long term the Redskins will turn the ship around.
First rookie QB to lead his team to 40 points since 1950. First time the Skins have scored 40 points in a game since 2005 under Gibbs. Yeah I'm stoked.

Garçon suffered an undisclosed injury to the top of his foot in the first half and was unable to return. The x-rays were negative, however.“It’s going to be good,” Garçon told Comcast SportsNet following the game. “Just have to get a picture of it and get ready for St. Louis.”When directly asked whether he’d be able to play against the Rams he enthusiastically stated he’d be ‘ready to go.’Garçon and Robert Griffin III connected four times for 109 yards, including an 88-yard touchdown, prior to the injury.

This did not look like Griffin's first time playing in the NFL. He never looked confused, flustered, or panicky. His throws are surprisingly accurate. He knew when he was under pressure, which way to turn to buy time, which way to look for a receiver or a crease. I'm impressed.

Pretty amazing. The little he did wrong is stuff that can/will be fixed with time and experience. Just a stunning debut.

I love the depth at WR, and I'm happy Kyle finally has weapons he can use to run his offense.

Once the punt was blocked and ran in, I fully admit, I was in "here we go again" mode. The fact they came out in the second half and executed, I'm just stunned. There was a writer on either ESPN or NFL.com, Schein or something like that, that did a whole article about how the Redskins had NO chance. Going to have to hunt that done and give him a nice pat on the back.

Some quick thoughts:

1. Griffin looks good. That is pretty obvious.

2. Garcon had a whole game of stats in the first quarter. He was definately Griffin's favorite target, which we pretty much knew from the preseason.

3. Robinson is Garcon's backup and therefore, played a lot today. Although not as dialed in with Griffin as Garcon, he looked pretty good.

4. Hankerson is Morgan's backup. I only saw Handerson in for one play. There may have been others that I missed.

5. They ran a number of plays with 2 TEs, Davis and Paul. I saw at least 3 in the 2nd half.

6. Morris played pretty much the whole game. Helu played on obvious passing downs. Shanahan must have a lot of faith in Morris.

7. But I didn't think Morris did that well. There were a number of times Morris and Griffin looked out of sync (feet tangles, fumble when fake handoff hit Morris' leg, they missed on handoff).

NFC EAST looking a whole lot more competitive (as if it wasn't tough enough already)with a real QB in Washington. Congrats Skins fans! :thumbup:

This did not look like Griffin's first time playing in the NFL. He never looked confused, flustered, or panicky. His throws are surprisingly accurate. He knew when he was under pressure, which way to turn to buy time, which way to look for a receiver or a crease. I'm impressed.
Part of it is obviously that he's a natural QB, and a quick study. But I think a lot of credit has to go to the way he's been challenged with an insane number of looks in practice.

'Skinsfan said:
That was so awesome that I'm not even sure how I'm supposed to feel. It's been so long since we've seen QB play like that, not to mention their total failure to make a series of boneheaded plays and lose the game. I am confused...
:goodposting:

'Marvelous said:
7. But I didn't think Morris did that well. There were a number of times Morris and Griffin looked out of sync (feet tangles, fumble when fake handoff hit Morris' leg, they missed on handoff).
Agree with this. Morris ended up with a good stat line, but I didn't come away thinking he is a front-line NFL RB. He looked a lot like a 6th round rookie at times. There is no telling what Shany is thinking with his RBs and I am going to just keep the faith, but if it was me, I'd give those caries to Royster. Talking about it at the Skins bar we eventually summed it up as: Helu may have the most talent, Morris the most heart, and Royster is a combo of the two. And btw, the Skins bar "Winstons" in Ocean Beach, San Diego is the best place to watch a Redskins game in the country. If anyone is ever near by you need to check it out. 200+ all in Skins gear. HD Projection Screens on all the walls, GoGo on commercial breaks, Fight Song and free shots when we score. It is truly awesome. Especially in a win.

'Marvelous said:
Agree with this. Morris ended up with a good stat line, but I didn't come away thinking he is a front-line NFL RB. He looked a lot like a 6th round rookie at times. There is no telling what Shany is thinking with his RBs and I am going to just keep the faith, but if it was me, I'd give those caries to Royster. Talking about it at the Skins bar we eventually summed it up as: Helu may have the most talent, Morris the most heart, and Royster is a combo of the two. And btw, the Skins bar "Winstons" in Ocean Beach, San Diego is the best place to watch a Redskins game in the country. If anyone is ever near by you need to check it out. 200+ all in Skins gear. HD Projection Screens on all the walls, GoGo on commercial breaks, Fight Song and free shots when we score. It is truly awesome. Especially in a win.
Totally disagree. I LOVED Morris. The out of sync thing is just rookies in opening week still new to each other. Not even a little concerned with that. I like this guy a lot. He's a battering ram with speed and he holds onto the ball with two hands. I'm kind of in shock over this team. Pistol whip special teams, but otherwise...goodness gracious. Look out .500, we got your number!

Last edited by a moderator:
'Marvelous said:
Totally disagree. I LOVED Morris. The out of sync thing is just rookies in opening week still new to each other. Not even a little concerned with that. I like this guy a lot. He's a battering ram with speed and he holds onto the ball with two hands. I'm kind of in shock over this team. Pistol whip special teams, but otherwise...goodness gracious. Look out .500, we got your number!
It is now very apparent that the Shanahans love Morris. Look at the split of the carries:Morris: 28Royster: 2Helu: 2Young: 2Royster barely saw the field and got 2 carries near the end of the first half. Helu is in on passing downs and got two carries. Young is the starting FB and got a couple.Unless people really think Mike Shanahan is going to play a lot of games here, it looks like he is firmly committed to Morris as his RB.

Was at the game yesterday, the dome was VERY loud early on. I was very impressed with the 1st series, quick passes, make Griffin comfortable. Then we he connected with Garcon I was jumping up and down screaming we have a QB!!!!! As the game went on the texts I got from friends where kinda of like Rocky 4. They went from the Redskins suck and will get killed to man Grifin is good. Loved the RG3 chants from Redskins fans at the dome. What a great day and night. I'm about to watch it on TV now, and wish tomorrow was Sunday because I'm ready to see him play again already.

HTTR!!!

'Marvelous said:
Agree with this. Morris ended up with a good stat line, but I didn't come away thinking he is a front-line NFL RB. He looked a lot like a 6th round rookie at times. There is no telling what Shany is thinking with his RBs and I am going to just keep the faith, but if it was me, I'd give those caries to Royster. Talking about it at the Skins bar we eventually summed it up as: Helu may have the most talent, Morris the most heart, and Royster is a combo of the two.

And btw, the Skins bar "Winstons" in Ocean Beach, San Diego is the best place to watch a Redskins game in the country. If anyone is ever near by you need to check it out. 200+ all in Skins gear. HD Projection Screens on all the walls, GoGo on commercial breaks, Fight Song and free shots when we score. It is truly awesome. Especially in a win.
:no: He doesn't have much speed.

Morris seems to see holes quicker and get to them quicker than either Helu or Royster. With the O-line being average-at-best, that's a valuable skill. He seemed to find little creases that were only there for a second. I think for now, that sets him half a step ahead of the other 2 RB's.

Morris seems to see holes quicker and get to them quicker than either Helu or Royster. With the O-line being average-at-best, that's a valuable skill. He seemed to find little creases that were only there for a second. I think for now, that sets him half a step ahead of the other 2 RB's.
I think Royster has the best vision, but Morris is close enough that his advantage in finishing runs and probable durability advantage probably trump that. I think the people who say that Helu is the "most talented" back on the roster have no idea what skill sets are actually valuable in NFL running backs. Helu would probably win the Superstars obstacle course race between the running backs, but he has the worst vision, is the least decisive, and runs with the worst pad level. He's the best in space, so he should get touches, but mostly in the screen game.

'Marvelous said:
It is now very apparent that the Shanahans love Morris. Look at the split of the carries:Morris: 28Royster: 2Helu: 2Young: 2Royster barely saw the field and got 2 carries near the end of the first half. Helu is in on passing downs and got two carries. Young is the starting FB and got a couple.Unless people really think Mike Shanahan is going to play a lot of games here, it looks like he is firmly committed to Morris as his RB.
I'm not so sure. Morris only averaged 3.4 yards a carry. All Shanny proved to me was that he will stick with the game plan. He gave Morris the call this week. I'm not ready to say that it is a guarantee that he gets the call next week and beyond.

'Marvelous said:
I'm not so sure. Morris only averaged 3.4 yards a carry. All Shanny proved to me was that he will stick with the game plan. He gave Morris the call this week. I'm not ready to say that it is a guarantee that he gets the call next week and beyond.
I actually think that is a strong statement that he will stick with Morris.I thought there were a lot of basic errors in the running game, including poor exchanges, a missed hand off, and Morris/Griffin getting their feet tangles. Yet, Shanahan stuck with Morris. His past history is to rotate the backs and go with the hot hand. Morris did not look hot, yet he got by far the bulk of the carries. Shanahan clearly want to see Morris in the game, a lot.

With Shanny, the RB situation today likely =/= the situation in Week 8, which =/= the situation in Week 12, which =/= the situation in Week 16.

'Marvelous said:
Agree with this. Morris ended up with a good stat line, but I didn't come away thinking he is a front-line NFL RB. He looked a lot like a 6th round rookie at times. There is no telling what Shany is thinking with his RBs and I am going to just keep the faith, but if it was me, I'd give those caries to Royster. Talking about it at the Skins bar we eventually summed it up as: Helu may have the most talent, Morris the most heart, and Royster is a combo of the two.

And btw, the Skins bar "Winstons" in Ocean Beach, San Diego is the best place to watch a Redskins game in the country. If anyone is ever near by you need to check it out. 200+ all in Skins gear. HD Projection Screens on all the walls, GoGo on commercial breaks, Fight Song and free shots when we score. It is truly awesome. Especially in a win.
:no: He doesn't have much speed.
For a guy his size, he does.

John Keim

Did you notice ...Rookie running back Alfred Morris rarely got stopped for a negative gain and consistently got a little more than the hole called for? He powered through a linebacker on his second touchdown run. Morris runs with an attitude.
By the way, the Skins beat the Saints in New Orleans. I'm still having trouble getting used to knowing that.The. Skins. Beat. The. Saints. In. New. Orleans.

John Keim

Did you notice ...Rookie running back Alfred Morris rarely got stopped for a negative gain and consistently got a little more than the hole called for? He powered through a linebacker on his second touchdown run. Morris runs with an attitude.
By the way, the Skins beat the Saints in New Orleans. I'm still having trouble getting used to knowing that.The. Skins. Beat. The. Saints. In. New. Orleans.
He is going to put a hurting on a few linebackers this season. Bus-like hurtings. He makes good decisions, seems focused on protecting the ball, and is always getting his mass going downhill. It's very early, but I like what I've seen from him a lot and I imagine the Shannys feel like they've found their guy. For now.

With Shanny, the RB situation today likely =/= the situation in Week 8, which =/= the situation in Week 12, which =/= the situation in Week 16.
This has been discussed, and proven incorrect, ad naseum. Please take it to one of the myriad of Shannahan RB threads out there. Thanks.

That was a fun game to watch.

I thought the offense was great. Loved the play calling. I know Griffin is a smart kid and a student of the game, but there's just no way he knows the entire playbook right now (right?). With the diversity of plays called yesterday, and assuming there's more of the playbook to be worked on, this offense can keep defenses guessing for a long time. I was a little worried after the first series (how many bubble screens can a team run in one drive!? :) ) but each new series looked like a completely different offense. It was great.

The defense played pretty well, too. In a way, though, I think this win may be attributed to the Saints being "off" as much as it was to the success of the 'Skins (and I do think they were successful). There were a number of times Saints receivers dropped balls that hit them in their hands, and I seem to recall at least a couple of times were Brees was able to set up for his pass just fine and then just miss his target with a bad pass. I'm not saying the 'Skins would have lost had the Saints been "on", but I think they were definitely helped by some unforced errors. Not anything to be down about or ashamed of (I'll take a "W" any day, however it comes), just something to keep in mind, IMO.

One other thing to keep in mind through all the hype, there were still some really stupid penalties and another big special teams gaff. Those are things that have been an issue (i.e. cost the team wins) in the past.

But man, does it feel great to be a Redskins fan today. :football:

John Keim

Even if Morris is replaced as the workhorse he still needs to be the short yardage guy. He was great at that. Young was awesome on that 4th down too. I'm pretty stoked about the win, and don't want to piss in the cereal, but I am also curious to see how the Saints do this year. I think losing Sean Payton is going to be tougher to overcome than I thought. Another positive from yesterday I think we will see a lot more of that we aren't used to seeing: Redskins won the coaching battle. :thumbup:

One other observation: I love how the 'Skins, especially the offense, was "in control" of the game. The whole game it felt as if the 'Skins were in the driver's seat, dictating the flow of the game. So much, in the past, it felt like the 'Skins were always responding instead of controlling. It was great to be on the other side of that. I don't think there was one point in the 4th quarter where I was nervous about whether they would win or not. In the back of mind I seemed to always feel that if the Saints were able to score and tie things up, that offense yesterday would simply put together another point scoring drive.

Very happy for Skins fans. Looked like a professional football team out there. Road wins against elite teams don't come easy. It felt kinda wierd to be exicited while watching a Redskins QB. I thought the Shannahans did a great job of setting up RG3 to be successful, and he looked like every bit of the electric player that was hoped for. Congrats guys. :thumbup:

I think the best part of the game was not one single time did I think to myself "What was Griffin doing? Why'd he do that??" How many times per game would Grossman just do something so mind numingly stupid that you'd just hang your head and wonder why? Not one single time did I see Griffin panic or lose his poise. He was in control of himself the entire game. That, for me, was the number one thign I enjoyed seeing. A REAL NFL QB taking snaps for the 'skins.

I'll say it again, RG3 is worth every draft pick and penny he cost the franchise. The difference in this team, even after just 1 game, is amazing. And I hope people will give the coaching staff and GM the credit they deserve. They are the ones that have had a plan in place the last few years and have REALLY turned around the depth and talent on this team IMO. I don't know how many years or players away we are from being a legit contender, but I know the Skins are no longer the joke of a franchise they had been under Vinny Cerrato. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
John Keim

Even if Morris is replaced as the workhorse he still needs to be the short yardage guy. He was great at that. Young was awesome on that 4th down too. I'm pretty stoked about the win, and don't want to piss in the cereal, but I am also curious to see how the Saints do this year. I think losing Sean Payton is going to be tougher to overcome than I thought. Another positive from yesterday I think we will see a lot more of that we aren't used to seeing: Redskins won the coaching battle. :thumbup:
I really thought that the chaos surrounding the Saints would hurt them. They lost their head coach, interim head coach, defensive coordinator, and GM. Plus there is Bounty-gate, suspensions, unsuspended players, and alleged wire tapping. There is no way there can be that much chaos at the top and it not affect the product on the field. I believe the Saints will wind up not being very good this year. There is no telling how they might do for a single game, especially the first game of the season, but the lack of leadership/changing leadership on the team has got to impact them.

watching the game tonight.. wasnt around yesterday.. from what i hear nothing but GOOD things!! :football:

Users who are viewing this thread