What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** 2012 Washington Redskins Season Thread (2 Viewers)

Rumor now is that RGIII may have re-injured the old ACL tear he had fixed when he was in college. More MRIs tomorrow and a visit to Dr. Andrews clinic is next on the agenda.

Czabe and Andy Polley will be brutal this afternoon... :popcorn:

Was there talk on the TV broadcast about the # of receivers Griffin had? It seemed like they weren't sending out many receivers on a lot of plays and Griffin rarely had a check down. Far too often, he looked and looked and found nobody to throw to. Seattle was able to double a lot of guys because I think Washington was only sending out three guys.That wouldn't have been too bad if Griffin was capable of running.
Lol, is this your first time watching? He has 3 reads on every play. A short guy, a medium guy, and a long guy. If he can't run he is 100% ineffective.
Don't come into this thread with your ####ing bull#### right now. Seriously. Go spout about Griffin being a Slot WR with a good arm somewhere else.
Pretty sure I have a right to my opinion and I have been VERY consistent on RGIII. Ill tell you exactly whatever it is I want to tell you and you'll have to suck on it and like it. It has nothing to do with him as a person. He is built like a KR/slot WR and not suited to play QB in the NFL. 100+ years of football has shown guys like him can't last in the NFL at that position. So talk smack, say I don't know what I'm talking about, and bump this post when Mr. Griffin does something other then end each season on the PUP list, Mr. Interwebz tough guy.

David Elfin ‏@davidelfinShanny admitted field in Landover on which @RGIII & Seahawks top DE Chris Clemons were hurt "wasn't perfect." Said he'd consider FieldTurf.
One radio guy this morning theorized that FedEx doesn't have field turf because Snyder likes to host a Euro soccer match every year and they won't play on field turf. I really have no idea if that theory makes sense or not. But, I do wonder if grass vs. field turf is going to be a Shanahan decision or a Snyder decision.

David Elfin ‏@davidelfinShanny admitted field in Landover on which @RGIII & Seahawks top DE Chris Clemons were hurt "wasn't perfect." Said he'd consider FieldTurf.
One radio guy this morning theorized that FedEx doesn't have field turf because Snyder likes to host a Euro soccer match every year and they won't play on field turf. I really have no idea if that theory makes sense or not. But, I do wonder if grass vs. field turf is going to be a Shanahan decision or a Snyder decision.
Well, if the guy on the DC Council is correct, they'll be playing in a domed stadium in DC itself in 5 years... :popcorn:

'dgreen said:
Going back to Gibbs 1 and even George Allen, the Redskins have always been strong proponents of natural grass fields. Snyder grew up watching and rooting for those teams. I suspect the mentality has carried over, especially since Snyder has worked with Gibbs and is working with George Allen's son. But there is no doubt that the field at FedEx is horrendous.

'dgreen said:
David Elfin ‏@davidelfin

Shanny admitted field in Landover on which @RGIII & Seahawks top DE Chris Clemons were hurt "wasn't perfect." Said he'd consider FieldTurf.
Going back to Gibbs 1 and even George Allen, the Redskins have always been strong proponents of natural grass fields. Snyder grew up watching and rooting for those teams. I suspect the mentality has carried over, especially since Snyder has worked with Gibbs and is working with George Allen's son. But there is no doubt that the field at FedEx is horrendous.
Natural grass would've been a huge upgrade to the spray painted dirt.

'dgreen said:
@RapSheet: #Seahawks lodged a complaint to NFL about the #FedEx field that injured RGIII and Chris Clemons' ACL"
you know, call me a dinosaur, but twitter reposting is a chore to read.great opportunity for a sharp programmer to clean this sht up and make it readable.dig it?

I am taking wagers on RGIII's knee. ACL reconstruction is imminent. I hope I'm wrong, however, as I have him on 14 of my Dynasty Leagues.If you would like to dispute this claim, please reply and you can make a bunch of money off me.Also, Kerrigan (Nancy) was a bigger liability today than Robert. Why is he playing?TIA.
No more PM's, please. Just reply to this post if you want to wager. You must have paypal, btw.

'dgreen said:
@RapSheet: #Seahawks lodged a complaint to NFL about the #FedEx field that injured RGIII and Chris Clemons' ACL"
you know, call me a dinosaur, but twitter reposting is a chore to read.great opportunity for a sharp programmer to clean this sht up and make it readable.dig it?
:lmao:I've recently joined the Twitterverse and I'm still clueless on some of it. Some things can be hard to read.

Charley Casserly was on with the Sports Junkies this morning.

He didn't really have a problem with Shanahan continuing to play Griffin, depending on what the doctors said about increased risk. He pointed out that there's no way guys like Brady, Roethlisberger, Manning, etc. would have come out of that game either.

The Junkies asked him about the recent report where Dr. Andrews contradicted Shanahan's story. It was interesting that Casserly's response was basically, "Why is Andrews talking to the media? He's the team doctor. Team doctors are only supposed to talk to the media when the team allows them to." He was then asked about the doctors' role on the sideline and how they should have been jumping up and down telling Shanahan to get Griffin out of the game. Casserly responded that they're job is to give their honest opinion when asked. Basically, team doctors don't speak up unless spoken to.

Casserly also talked about needing to see the game tape to really know whether Griffin could make throws or not. In his opinion, TV broadcasts don't give the best look at stuff like that. He will get the game tap today, so I hope to be able to read/hear his opinion about it soon. He pointed out that Griffin is an average down field passer from the pocket and he saw him miss some throws that he missed earlier in the year when he was healthy.

James Andrews backs Shanahan’s account of Griffin’s re-entry of Baltimore gameBy Mike Jones , Updated: January 8, 2013

Washington Redskins team orthopedic surgeon James Andrews said on Monday that coach Mike Shanahan didn’t fabricate a sideline conversation between the two as they decided whether or not to allow Robert Griffin III to re-enter Washington’s game against Baltimore four weeks ago. Instead, Andrews said the account of the scenario simply got misconstrued.Griffin sustained a nasty blow to his right knee at the tail end of a run while he directed a potential game-tying drive with less than two minutes to play. Griffin came off the field for one play, and then re-entered, taking four more snaps, before his knee locked up on him and rendered him useless.That was the start of the knee injury that has hampered Griffin in the final month of the season and hobbled him in the playoff loss to Seattle.The day after the injury, which was classified as a sprained LCL, Shanahan said he consulted Andrews (and that the doctor had examined the player) on whether or not Griffin could re-enter the game.Andrews in an interview published Sunday in USA Today, said that not only did he not clear Griffin for re-entry to the game, but that he never examined him.Asked about the discrepancy in accounts, Shanahan on Sunday offered this explanation.“Well, after the game we talked in detail. When he went back into the game at that time, I looked over at Dr. Andrews, he said, ‘Yeah, he’s ok to go back in.’ Of course I’m sitting there trying to evaluate Kirk Cousins’ play, so when someone says he’s OK… Well, what Dr. Andrews is talking about, when I talked to him today, he said, ‘Hey, Robert came around and he started showing us he could run; he was sprinting around and then he just took off, so I just figured he was OK. I didn’t go through a thorough examination of him until after the game.’ I wasn’t really sure in what detail he was talking about at that time. He felt Robert – just looking at him run and then take off – that he was ok to go back in. I looked at him for the next three plays, the first time he had Santana [Moss] shell across, the next time he threw a little out-round, and it looked like his footwork was good. But you could see on that last one, where he hit Pierre Garçon, that when he stepped into the pocket that it wasn’t right. At that time Pierre caught it and he was trying to kill the clock, but we were going to take him out at that time, and that’s when Kirk came in.”Andrews, when reached by phone on Monday, concurred with Shanahan’s account.“Coach Shanahan didn’t lie about it, and I didn’t lie,” Andrews said Monday afternoon. “I didn’t get to examine [Griffin’s knee] because he came out for one play, didn’t let us look at him and on the next play, he ran through all the players and back out onto the field. Coach Shanahan looks at me like, ‘Is he OK?’ and I give him the ‘Hi’ sign as in, ‘He’s running around, so I guess he’s OK.’ But I didn’t get to check him out until after the game. It was just a communication problem. Heat of battle. I didn’t get to tell him I didn’t get to examine the knee. Mike Shanahan would never have put him out there at risk just to win a game.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/01/08/james-andrews-backs-shanahans-account-of-griffins-re-entry-of-baltimore-game/

Really good segment on the Sports Junkies right now with a doctor who's the head of a sports performance org that works with elite athletes. A few comments...

If it's an MCL only they'll let it heal without surgery.

If it's an ACL, either partial or full, they'll do surgery and since the procedure is the same the recovery time is the same in both cases.

There's not much risk from the surgery itself, it's the potential complications from the surgery that would add time to the recovery.

The ACL recovery is the limiting factor. Since the MCL and PCL heal faster and have less stress on them, they're typically irrelevant in terms of a return to health -- it's the ACL that determines the recovery time when multiple ligaments are torn.

Athletes today can expect a 100% return to peak performance after surgery. He was specifically asked if someone runs a 4.32 before the surgery will they still run a 4.32 after recovery and the answer was 'absolutely'.

So IMO it sounds likely that he'll have surgery and be in the same race that Peterson and Mendenhall were in last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really good segment on the Sports Junkies right now with a doctor who's the head of a sports performance org that works with elite athletes. A few comments...

If it's an MCL only they'll let it heal without surgery.

If it's an ACL, either partial or full, they'll do surgery and since the procedure is the same the recovery time is the same in both cases.

There's not much risk from the surgery itself, it's the potential complications from the surgery that would add time to the recovery.

The ACL recovery is the limiting factor. Since the MCL and PCL heal faster and have less stress on them, they're typically irrelevant in terms of a return to health -- it's the ACL that determines the recovery time when multiple ligaments are torn.

Athletes today can expect a 100% return to peak performance after surgery. He was specifically asked if someone runs a 4.32 before the surgery will they still run a 4.32 after recovery and the answer was 'absolutely'.

So IMO it sounds likely that he'll have surgery and be in the same race that Peterson and Mendenhall were in last year.
I heard the same segment; it was really informative. If you haven't heard it; you can probably check it out via podcast from the 106.7 The Fan web site It was amazing to hear from the guest that nowadays athletes really can expect to return to 100% after surgery and recovery. The key factor really seems to be the rehabilitation and how hard an athelete works. This is why Adrian Peterson came back so strong. He just committed himself to work very, very hard. RGIII is the same kind of athlete and I can see him working to rehab in the same way.

The other key for the Skins is how to find the right balance with RGIII whenever he comes back, whether it's next year or the year following. You can hardly tell him to "never" run...even a guy like Andrew Luck will take off and run to pick up a first down if he needs to. Kyle Shanahan is supposed to be an offensive guru so I think this is one of his big jobs in the offseason: how to still take advantage of RGIII's athleticism without putting him in harms way too much...

^^^^ Some serious CYA going on there.
:shrug:Seems like a reasonable story. "It was a communication problem" is much more believable to me than "Shanahan ignored the team doctor" or "Shanahan blocked the team doctor from looking at Griffin" or any other conspiracy story people have come up with.

Daniel Snyder/Mike Shannahan: RGIII a man barely alive. Dr. Andrews: Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. Dr. Andrews: We have the technology. Dr. Andrews: We have the capability to make the world's first bionic man. Dr. Andrews: RGIII will be that man. Dr. Andrews: Better than he was before. Dr. Andrews: Better... stronger... faster. HTTR!!!

So, one benefit to this is that we should get a good look at what Cousins can do. If he can excel, it will increase his value. that way, when RG3 gets back, we can hopefully trade cousins for some good value. or if we decide to keep him, he will be much better prepared to step in. Either way, i want RG3 to get healthy and i dont want to rush him back.

It was amazing to hear from the guest that nowadays athletes really can expect to return to 100% after surgery and recovery. The key factor really seems to be the rehabilitation and how hard an athelete works. This is why Adrian Peterson came back so strong. He just committed himself to work very, very hard. RGIII is the same kind of athlete and I can see him working to rehab in the same way.
Agree. Knee ligament surgery rehab* is light years ahead of what it was 10 years ago. I had ACL reconstructive surgery in March of 2010 and I was doing light jogging by June, and that was with an "average Joe" rehab plan. If it had been my job to rehab, I could have been doing more, sooner. Wes Welker tore his knee up around the same time of year Griffin did and was participating in training camp for the next season (he may have even had some participation in some OTAs/minicamp, but I'm not positive about that off the top of my head). ATM, I'm not too worried about Griffin missing any games.*FWIW, you don't actually rehab the ligaments. The ligaments just need time to regrow/repair, and it takes longer for the body to do that than for other injuries like muscle or bone injuries (it's generally reported as ~6 months for the ACL to regrow; if Griffin has reconstructive surgery soon, he has a complete ACL again by the end of July). While ligaments are regrowing/repairing, though, you can work out your leg muscles (which is where a lot of the rehab advances have come) so they are just as strong or stronger than before. That way, when the ligament is done repairing, you are ready to go.

http://bramelsecondopinion.com/2013/01/09/whats-ahead-for-robert-griffin-iii/
What’s Ahead for Robert Griffin IIILeave a Comment Posted by Jene Bramel on January 9, 2013Robert Griffin III had reconstructive knee surgery this morning to repair his LCL and ACL. The surgery was successful, according to Dr. James Andrews, and involved a “direct repair of his LCL and a re-do of his previous ACL reconstruction.”Though Dr. Andrews confirmed the details of the injury and surgical procedure in his statement, a number of questions remain.What can Robert Griffin III expect in the coming weeks and months? (Photo by Keith Allison)How did Griffin aggravate his LCL sprain and sustain a catastrophic ACL injury while playing in a protective brace?This question deserves more attention than it’s getting in the media. Shortly after his injury, the Redskins said they would not allow Griffin to play until his knee was no longer at risk of an aggravation or additional injury. That proved not to be the case, since there would be no reason for Griffin to play in a brace if there were no concerns about the stability of his knee.Injuries to the knee happen in multiple ways. The LCL is most commonly injured when the knee is stressed from the side. The restrictive, hinged brace that Griffin was wearing is generally very good at stabilizing the knee against another blow to the inside of the knee. The ACL is often injured by a rotational stress, which is very difficult to prevent with a brace, especially the kind of brace Griffin was wearing last weekend.An orthopedic surgeon I spoke with today told me that it would be unusual for a braced LCL to fail. Further, he felt that Griffin’s final play didn’t have the look of an acute injury. More specifically, he felt that Griffin’s knee buckled in such a way – non-contact but low-velocity – that it was the final manifestation of an already comprised knee joint.Whether Griffin’s LCL sprain was a higher grade than reported, had already been re-injured, or Griffin’s previously repaired ACL graft was already damaged is impossible to say. But the way in which the knee buckled in a brace that wasn’t meant to protect against the rotational stress against the ACL may help explain why Griffin suffered such a severe injury while braced.Is Griffin at higher risk of another future ACL injury because the ligament has now been reconstructed twice?This is a complicated question. Those of you following the story closely have seen the differing opinions on this question (and the discussion on how soon Griffin may be able to return to play).The short answer is yes, Griffin is at higher risk, but it’s a risk that is difficult to quantify.I spoke to the same orthopedic surgeon about the challenges of repairing a previously reconstructed ACL graft. When an ACL is reconstructed, tunnels are made into the thigh and shin bone to serve as anchors for the graft that will serve as the new ACL.Though there are concerns with the graft having less blood supply than a natural ACL, the graft usually anchors well and the bone tunnels fill in without issue after a new reconstruction. With subsequent reconstructions, those tunnels must be larger and a different method of anchoring the graft may often be necessary. Larger tunnels require more bone grafting and a slightly different angle for the graft. Those factors can cause the reconstructed ACL to loosen over time. That, in turn, leads to a higher risk of failure.The good news is that the risk is not terribly high and is lessened by Griffin’s young age and the rehab protocols available to an elite NFL athlete. Thomas Davis, a linebacker with the Carolina Panthers, is an interesting comparison. Davis suffered a graft failure soon after returning from his first ACL tear but is now playing well after his second reconstruction.Just how soon could Griffin return to the field? Is 6-8 months a reasonable estimate?Estimates for Griffin’s return to play ranged from 6-8 months to 8-10 months to 10-14 months this weekend. Dr. Andrews did not give a specific estimate today, saying only that “it’s everyone’s hope and belief that…he will be ready for the 2013 season.”Andrews’ statement and other sources are implying that Griffin does not have any injuries to the structures to the posterolateral corner (PLC) of his knee (more on PLC injuries in this post on Fred Jackson’s LCL injury) and that his procedure was able to be performed arthroscopically. Unless Griffin has an unexpected setback, he’s very likely to hit the more optimistic side of reported estimates.Though the dual ACL/LCL injury is worrisome, both grafts should heal at the same rate and can be rehabbed together. With the now common accelerated rehab schedule for reconstructive knee surgery, 8-10 months is a reasonable expectation. I’m not aware of a clear NFL comparison, but the NBA’s Ricky Rubio recently returned to practice about nine months after a dual ACL/LCL reconstruction. Griffin will have different issues to face as a mobile quarterback in a higher contact sport, but the rehab comparison is notable.Can Griffin return as quickly and effectively as Adrian Peterson did in 2012?This may be the most common question I’ve seen today. It’s possible that Griffin can match Peterson’s superhuman recovery from his ACL/MCL/meniscus injury. But it’s unlikely.Peterson’s associated MCL and meniscus injuries were no cakewalk, but there’s still reason to be worried about Griffin’s LCL injury if there are any unreported associated PLC injuries. Also notable is the state of Peterson’s knee prior to his reconstructive surgery. Dr. Andrews termed Peterson’s joint “pristine” – save the ACL, MCL and meniscus tears, of course – and likened it to that of a newborn baby. That is not likely to be the case with Griffin’s knee, which has undergone one ACL reconstruction and the stress of playing on a partially torn LCL for multiple weeks.Most importantly, don’t mistake Peterson’s dramatic early return for a new norm in ACL recovery. Though it’s true that a total knee reconstruction is no longer a 12-18+ month injury, neither should an athlete be presumed to recover to full pre-injury form in six months.Griffin has an excellent chance at a full recovery and it’s possible that he’ll be off the PUP list in time for the first week of the 2013 season. But it’s best to temper your expectations for the first month of 2013, even if his recovery and rehabilitation go smoothly.

I REALLY hope the 'Skins go after this guy. One of their biggest needs is a RT and he's solid, especially in the run game!

Chiefs released RT Eric Winston.

Winston just signed a four-year, $22 million contract with Kansas City last offseason, but after franchising LT Branden Albert on Monday and there being a plethora of young tackle prospects in the draft, his services were no longer needed. The move saves just $700,000 in cap space. Winston should have plenty of options on the open market. For what it's worth, he's played most of his career in a zone-blocking scheme. A reunion with the Texans would make some sense. The Dolphins, Rams, Ravens, Redskins, and Lions also showed interest in him last offseason. His release clears a path for the Chiefs to take one of Luke Joeckel or Eric Fisher with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft if they so choose. Mar 6 - 8:20 PM
He was a top-11 tackle in 2011 according to Pro Football Focus.And top-9 RT in 2012.

I REALLY hope the 'Skins go after this guy. One of their biggest needs is a RT and he's solid, especially in the run game!

Chiefs released RT Eric Winston.

Winston just signed a four-year, $22 million contract with Kansas City last offseason, but after franchising LT Branden Albert on Monday and there being a plethora of young tackle prospects in the draft, his services were no longer needed. The move saves just $700,000 in cap space. Winston should have plenty of options on the open market. For what it's worth, he's played most of his career in a zone-blocking scheme. A reunion with the Texans would make some sense. The Dolphins, Rams, Ravens, Redskins, and Lions also showed interest in him last offseason. His release clears a path for the Chiefs to take one of Luke Joeckel or Eric Fisher with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft if they so choose. Mar 6 - 8:20 PM
He was a top-11 tackle in 2011 according to Pro Football Focus.And top-9 RT in 2012.
Agree 100%, love to add him and lock up the right side. Best part, he's a smart guy and good locker room guy. So, adding him would help on several fronts!!!

From PFT:

Redskins hire A.J. Smith as senior executive Posted by Josh Alper on March 6, 2013, 11:04 AM EST During the combine, word surfaced that former Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith was expected to take a role in the Redskins front office. That came to pass on Wednesday with the announcement that Smith will be a senior executive for the team in 2013. Smith also spoke to the Chiefs, Patriots and Jaguars about jobs after getting fired by the Chargers following the 2012 season, but he wound up in Washington. Exact job responsibilities are unknown at this point, but Smith’s expected to be an advisor/consultant to General Manager Bruce Allen on personnel matters. His relationship with Allen dates back to USFL days, so there’s quite a bit of familiarity there before Smith has even settled into the job. A.J.’s arrival in Washington makes the Redskins employers of two members of the Smith clan. His son Kyle is a scout in the organization
The Redskins have drafted pretty well the past three years. I am hoping Smith improves their drafts even more. He did a good job finding talent in San Diego.

Fletcher has surgery and is working on returning for the '13 season.

Redskins linebacker London Fletcher is scheduled to undergo ankle surgery Wednesday and plans to play the 2013 season as long as he remains convinced he can do so at a level that satisfies him, a person familiar with the situation said.

Fletcher also is scheduled to undergo elbow surgery later this month, the person said.

Speaking on the condition of anonymity because the Redskins had not commented publicly on Fletcher’s surgeries or his plans for next season, the person said that Fletcher is “not planning on retiring” but still must make certain that his body will recover to the point necessary to play well.

“The word retirement has not come out of his mouth,” the person said. “That’s why he’s getting these surgeries. He has to see if he can get healthy and get in shape, and make sure he can play at the level he wants to play.”

Fletcher told 106.7 The Fan, which first reported the surgeries, that “surgery is the first step towards prepping for next season.”
ETA: Oof. Who bumped last year's thread? Sorry to bump it again.

I am shocked that Winston was released. Skins need to add him ASAP!
I don't see how the Redskins can sign any free agents. They just don't have any cap space with the $18 cap penalty.
Right now they are 3mil under and can still cut/restructure guys like Santana Moss, London Fletcher, Stephen Bowen, and DeAngelo Hall. Extending Orakpo and Wilson could also gain them some space this year. Trust me the Redskins know how to work the cap and if they want to get this guy they can. Heck they could probably sign him right now to a long-term deal that has a big signing bonus and a small salary this season. Next year, that penalty will be gone and they'll have tons of space.

Users who are viewing this thread