What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** 2012 Washington Redskins Season Thread (2 Viewers)

'VA703 said:
'Marvelous said:
'TxBuckeye said:
'fatness said:
Sunday's game will be 41-37 but I have no clue who will win.
The team with 41.
One quick thought: The Redskins actually have an offense. They haven't had a decent offensive team since 1999 (the Norv Turner/Brad Johnson/Michael Westbrook/Albert Connell team).It's been a really long time.
im still skeptical of some of the play calling vs the rams.. the defense gave the game away but still we should of had more points than that
It's hard complaining after 28 points but I kind of felt the same way. The Rams had their DE's pinch the pocket to keep Griffin from going wide and that seems to stifle the Skins for awhile. Other teams are going to do it too so they'll need to adjust to that.Still, the offense is one #### load better than anything we've had here in years.

OK. :boxing: Redskins give contract extensions to coaches Jim Haslett, Danny Smith

Actually the extensions were given in the offseason, but Shanahan just mentioned them this week, I guess because he was asked about their status.

Haslett, Smith and the other assistants are performing well, Shanahan said. “If I didn’t feel very good about Jim and I didn’t feel very good about Danny, I wouldn’t have extended them,” Shanahan said after practice at Redskins Park. “I feel very good about those coaches. They’re excellent football coaches.”
Pretty tepid support there.

I wish him well, obviously, but I think Orakpo is a little over-rated. :shrug:
ok.is he not the best player on the defense tho?who can make plays like rak is capable of?
Kerrigan is already better. Orakpo was figured out by opposing offenses after his big start in his rookie year. He basically has one pass rush move that he does well, and they now aim at stopping that and have limited his influence on games. His rush defense has improved but he's not like the Great Wall of China. I like Orakpo, he's good, but Kerrigan makes more plays.
i disagree. rak is better in pass cov than he used to be and better than kerrigan at it. kerrigan is prolly better against the run. rak's bull rush is better than anything ive seen from kerrigan. individually, id have to look at some statisics to see who actually makes more plays, but from the tv, its rak to me. i have seen kerrigan in the backfield a little more than last yr tho.with that said, i hope ur right.the only way this gets better to me is if kerrigan steps up and somebody comes in and surprises in place of rak. otherwise, w/o rak's, this defense is predictable and w/o their best pass rusher.

ok.is he not the best player on the defense tho?who can make plays like rak is capable of?
I would put Fletcher ahead of him, with Kerrigan right behind.
fletch is an awesome, hof worthy, super smart mlb who does as much b4 the snap as he does during the plays. im not sure ive ever seen him miss a tackle. there is plenty of value in wat he does, no doubt.kerrigan seems to be a pretty steady, growing olb. no way he brings what rak brings tho.my point was, the skins lost heir best playmaker on the defense.as an example, not a single player on the def knocks down those 2 drew brees passes at the goal line in wk 1.this loss hurts as much as any loss they culd have had happen, outside rg3/trent.
I know Orakpo was out by this time, but who was it that got the INT in the end zone? And who was it that forced the fumble late in the game to give us a shot? I think you explain Fletcher's strengths as a player pretty well above, but I do think you underrate his playmaking ability.
i can tell we both like fletch, so how bout this?fletch's playmaking comes as much from him being in the right position as anything else. he's a super geek who knows as much about the opponent as the opponent's qb.rak's athleticism, in contrast to fletch, provides him w/ a flat out better athletic skill set on the field. to me, rak can do things fletch cant, and vice versa.how's that?

Last edited by a moderator:
'dehaven123 said:
'ConnSKINS26 said:
fletch is an awesome, hof worthy, super smart mlb who does as much b4 the snap as he does during the plays. im not sure ive ever seen him miss a tackle. there is plenty of value in wat he does, no doubt.kerrigan seems to be a pretty steady, growing olb. no way he brings what rak brings tho.my point was, the skins lost heir best playmaker on the defense.as an example, not a single player on the def knocks down those 2 drew brees passes at the goal line in wk 1.this loss hurts as much as any loss they culd have had happen, outside rg3/trent.
I know Orakpo was out by this time, but who was it that got the INT in the end zone? And who was it that forced the fumble late in the game to give us a shot? I think you explain Fletcher's strengths as a player pretty well above, but I do think you underrate his playmaking ability.
i can tell we both like fletch, so how bout this?fletch's playmaking comes as much from him being in the right position as anything else. he's a super geek who knows as much about the opponent as the opponent's qb.rak's athleticism, in contrast to fletch, provides him w/ a flat out better athletic skill set on the field. to me, rak can do things fletch cant, and vice versa.how's that?
It's plenty fair, as I already said, I just don't like the distinction you're trying to make in regards to playmaking. It seems that you more highly value the ability to make plays from freakish athletic ability, than you do the ability to make plays based upon film study, intangibles, and work ethic. Can't say I agree. I think one can be more consistent than the other.

We are younger at every position and most importantly our QB is so good the offensive line can suck and nobody even notices since he puts up 30 points by himself. Shanny is going nowhere, Kyle is going nowhere, and some combination of Haslett/Morris is going nowhere. Younger with continuity and a star QB usually add up to good things. We just need to add depth on OL and secondary. We are on the way to being a playoff team in 2 years in my opinion. I think Skins fans optimism is for once real rather than just fan hype. Amazing what one QB can do to make it come together.

We are younger at every position and most importantly our QB is so good the offensive line can suck and nobody even notices since he puts up 30 points by himself. Shanny is going nowhere, Kyle is going nowhere, and some combination of Haslett/Morris is going nowhere. Younger with continuity and a star QB usually add up to good things. We just need to add depth on OL and secondary. We are on the way to being a playoff team in 2 years in my opinion. I think Skins fans optimism is for once real rather than just fan hype. Amazing what one QB can do to make it come together.
I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, but I just don't see a playoff team in 2 year for Washington. It's a combination of no 1st round draft picks and not enough cap space to improve the parts around RGIII.

Fletch 100% agree here...and I would like to agree with Kerrigan, but can't there. Kerrigan is the same as RAK, but a bit more wet behind the ears, which gives the edge to RAK for experience.

OK. :boxing: Redskins give contract extensions to coaches Jim Haslett, Danny Smith

Actually the extensions were given in the offseason, but Shanahan just mentioned them this week, I guess because he was asked about their status.

Haslett, Smith and the other assistants are performing well, Shanahan said. “If I didn’t feel very good about Jim and I didn’t feel very good about Danny, I wouldn’t have extended them,” Shanahan said after practice at Redskins Park. “I feel very good about those coaches. They’re excellent football coaches.”
Pretty tepid support there.
I think it was done at same time they were bringing in Morris to show Hass that he was still the DC. This way, he wouldn't be like WTF, why is Morris now here???

'dehaven123 said:
'ConnSKINS26 said:
It's plenty fair, as I already said, I just don't like the distinction you're trying to make in regards to playmaking. It seems that you more highly value the ability to make plays from freakish athletic ability, than you do the ability to make plays based upon film study, intangibles, and work ethic. Can't say I agree. I think one can be more consistent than the other.
i dont think i said or even meant to say rak is better than fletch. there's no way that's the case. that doesn't mean they didn't lose their best playmaker in rak tho. i think that's where can agree to disagree.

Fletch 100% agree here...and I would like to agree with Kerrigan, but can't there. Kerrigan is the same as RAK, but a bit more wet behind the ears, which gives the edge to RAK for experience.
Yup....that's the order I have them in that you quoted.

Hey guys, I am looking to go to my first ever Skins game at Fed Ex field. Living in the Boston area, I've never had the chance to go to a game. I'm making a special trip this year. Targeting the Panthers game. Does anyone have any advice as to what sections are the best for viewing? I am ok with putting down some cash for nice seats as I don't have many opportunities to do this. I was looking at sections 101 and 142 which appear to straddle the 40-50 yard lines on the Redskins side. How many rows back is ideal? I don't want to sit too close and have a poor vantage point, but I don't want to be too far away either. Also, how does one get into the AAA Tailgate? I'd be interested in that. Are these sold separately or do they come with certain seats? Any info or direction would be appreciated. TIA

Hey guys, I am looking to go to my first ever Skins game at Fed Ex field. Living in the Boston area, I've never had the chance to go to a game. I'm making a special trip this year. Targeting the Panthers game. Does anyone have any advice as to what sections are the best for viewing? I am ok with putting down some cash for nice seats as I don't have many opportunities to do this. I was looking at sections 101 and 142 which appear to straddle the 40-50 yard lines on the Redskins side. How many rows back is ideal? I don't want to sit too close and have a poor vantage point, but I don't want to be too far away either. Also, how does one get into the AAA Tailgate? I'd be interested in that. Are these sold separately or do they come with certain seats? Any info or direction would be appreciated. TIA
I was given a free ticket for the only Skins game I went to. It was around the 40 or 45, about 17 rows back, and a completely awesome place to see the game. When I looked behind me and up there was Sonny Jurgensen in the booth.

Those are good sections and I wouldn't worry too much about being too far back in the 100 level. You will be able to see just fine from the last row of the 100s. Those sections will be behind the Redskins bench, so the lower seats could be partially obstructed by players standing up. But, I once sat in row 3 on the opposite sideline and I don't remember my view being blocked.I think the tailgate passes are sold with season tickets. I see some for sale on extremeskins from time to time. They will also be on Craigslist.

'southeastjerome said:
:goodposting: - I'm going (though I'm a Bengals fan) for the 2nd time this weekend. I will say that one thing I remember most from last time was that the stadium is HUGE - I think you're on the right track in terms of the seats you're looking at (though with RG3 on board and the Panthers being not too far away from DC the $ for those seats should be high I would think).What are the best concession options that are unique to your place or at least offer something good :porked:Looking forward to this week's game as it should be really entertaining - 2 young teams with good offenses that can't seem to play any defense. Will be interesting to see if :penalty:s are a factor (Wash has the most, the Bengals the 2nd least) but you never know with the scab refs.I'll be happy to throw in any Bengals observations if you guys are interested. We should get Dunlap back this week which will help our shaky defense. We tend to over-pursue A LOT so you may see a lot of screens and reverses from the Redskins if you gameplan right.-QG

I'll be happy to throw in any Bengals observations if you guys are interested. We should get Dunlap back this week which will help our shaky defense. We tend to over-pursue A LOT so you may see a lot of screens and reverses from the Redskins if you gameplan right.-QG
The Shanahan's love the play-action bootleg/rollout so an over-pursuing defense sounds like money in the bank. I'm thinking 500 combined yards and 5 combined TDs from Griffen, no? :)

NFL doled out at least $55k worth of fines for the WAS/STL game.

Robert Griffin III and DeAngelo Hall each said players' conduct in the Redskins' loss to St. Louis last Sunday "got out of hand." Darrel Young called it "the dirtiest game I’ve ever played in. If the long list of players fined is any indication, the NFL didn't disagree. At least $55,000 in fines were handed down.
These were the fines that were reported (not all are):
[*]WR Josh Morgan - $7,875 for unsportsmanlike conduct

[*]LB Lorenzo Alexander - $15,750 for horse collar tackle

[*]CB Janoris Jenkins - $15,750 for helmet-to-helmet vs Fred Davis

[*]DE Robert Quinn - $7,875 for unnecessary roughness

[*]G Quinn Ojinaka - $7,875 for late hit vs. Fletcher

What are the best concession options that are unique to your place or at least offer something :porked:
There really isn't anything special or local. The stadium really lacks anything special in any way, especially when it comes to food. The new big screens are impessive and there are a bunch of screens showing all the games in the concourse behind sections 131-134. Other than that, it's a really unimpressive place.Where are you sitting? I will be in 131.

I'll be happy to throw in any Bengals observations if you guys are interested. We should get Dunlap back this week which will help our shaky defense. We tend to over-pursue A LOT so you may see a lot of screens and reverses from the Redskins if you gameplan right.-QG
Would love to hear your thoughts on what the Skins should do to win the game(Bengals' strengths vs. weaknesses). Always appreciate your insight.

Would love to hear your thoughts on what the Skins should do to win the game(Bengals' strengths vs. weaknesses). Always appreciate your insight.
S'up Seb? My thoughts in terms of the main vulnerabilities of the Bengals is that if their pressure fails to get to the QB in time they are very susceptible to the screen and the reverse. They've slipped back into the habit of allowing 3rd and 15 completions - as impressive as Weeden's completion percentage was last week, he actually had some glaring misses that bailed the Who Deys out. Our defenders tend to try and force turnovers often at the expense of a tackle and extra yardage. Maualuga has been in the doghouse and has not played well so far.Offensively I have to say that the run blocking has been better than I've expected - they were able to blow the Ravens off the line on 3rd and 4th and short situations which surprised me (I also think they abandoned the run too early in that game). Pass blocking, has been a different story, especially up the middle with Faine and there's been lots of sacks (though they've been more of the 3-yard variety than the 8-yard variety). Dalton is pretty brave under pressure and generally steps up. His deep balls are still erratic, but he tends to miss long (past everyone) so it's not as bad as the usual case of a QB missing high. Green has been dropping too many balls. I think it's as much about bend-don't-break in terms of stopping the Bengals. We do these West Coast Offense drives where it's like 11 plays and 70 yards - the difference is if these result in a FG instead of a touchdown. Gresham struggles running correct routes (and that led to a dagger interception against Baltimore). Dalton is dangerous when he gets into a rhythm. This is mostly cliche stuff, I know, but really it's going to come down to how each side executes on 3rd downs, esp. 3rd and long. As well as our secondary receivers have done, I'd still say taking away Green is the place to start in defending us.

Should be a fun one :)

-QG

:goodposting: - I'm going (though I'm a Bengals fan) for the 2nd time this weekend. I will say that one thing I remember most from last time was that the stadium is HUGE - I think you're on the right track in terms of the seats you're looking at (though with RG3 on board and the Panthers being not too far away from DC the $ for those seats should be high I would think).What are the best concession options that are unique to your place or at least offer something good :porked:Looking forward to this week's game as it should be really entertaining - 2 young teams with good offenses that can't seem to play any defense. Will be interesting to see if :penalty:s are a factor (Wash has the most, the Bengals the 2nd least) but you never know with the scab refs.I'll be happy to throw in any Bengals observations if you guys are interested. We should get Dunlap back this week which will help our shaky defense. We tend to over-pursue A LOT so you may see a lot of screens and reverses from the Redskins if you gameplan right.-QG
Best seats in the house are sections 103 / 102 / 101 / 142 / 141 / 140 - Lower Bowl, behind the 'skins bench between the 30's...The corresponding sections across the way behind the visitors bench are sections 119 / 120 / 121 / 122 / 123 / 124.At least from a Fan perspective...if you're in search of amenities and can find a cheap way to get into the club level, you can watch a game like you were in your own living room, or maybe nicer......the thing I can't figure out is why anyone would want to attend a game for that. Well, I'm an old curmudgeon, I guess. What do I know...Our seats are Section 103, 17th Row. Although it would be nice to move over a section, and down a few rows, it would be like complaining that your prime-grade grass-fed center-cut filet mignon isn't a few steaks closer to dead center.Getting to the stadium is a pain in the ###, and I only live 1 county away, in Montgomery.The parking sucks, and is overpriced, even when it's included in your season ticket package. The spaces are too narrow, and unless you navigate your way to specific areas, it's tough to every just RELAX while you're tailgating. There's always something annoying going on...but you're best option for eating and drinking at the game is to tailgate because......the food inside is pretty bad, the alcohol is overpriced and the selection sucks, and all you're doing while eating there is lining the pockets of the scumbag owner, which gives me indigestion even if the food didn't......and then you have to deal with the legions of other Team's fans who populate the seats...and the legions of fair-weather FINO's (fans in name only) who don't have a clue and are only there for the social event......all of which would be alleviated by putting a winning product on the field. Then you wouldn't have to think about everything else......but, you do.Enjoy the game!

...and then you have to deal with the legions of other Team's fans who populate the seats...and the legions of fair-weather FINO's (fans in name only) who don't have a clue and are only there for the social event...Enjoy the game!
LOL thanks :) Um, I'm one of those "other team's fans" - but I'm not obnoxious when on the road :) -QG

Davis also says that the Redskins offense, which has generated 68 points in two games, has yet to play up to its potential.

“I knew with the offense that we had, and then putting R.G. in it and everyone paying attention to detail, we could be better than what we were doing,” Davis said. “When we watch film, there’s still a lot of stuff we leave out there. It’s still early.”
link

@dgreen so my ticket is in 328.

I now have a streak of mg people related to special teamers as I met Huber's brother in the parking lot

-QG

@dgreen so my ticket is in 328.I now have a streak of mg people related to special teamers as I met Huber's brother in the parking lot -QG
I can hear that dude in a Green jersey from my seats.

I'm starting to like Alfred. It's not just that he always falls forward, he breaks tackles and bounces off defenders. He actually reminded me of Riggo a couple times today.

Also, great job by Griffin driving the team down the field at the end of the game. That was impressive.

Yup. I love what i see from Rg3 and Morris. Good foundation. I am looking forward to see if we can have some other youngsters step up and grow at other positions. obviously, with all these injuries we are going to have a tough year, but it is going to be fun watching RG3 regardless. Hopefully next year we can build some more depth and talent around what we have and get better.

i am quite impressed with the variety in the offense. To open the 2nd half, they ran a lot of plays out of the option. Morris was very effective running from the up back position. Banks did well from the tail back position. And of course, RGIII ran well. It would be nice if they could have ocmpleted the pass to Robinson out of the option formation.

On the last scoring drive and the final drive, they were passing on every down (except for some RGIII runs) and they were having a lot of success. The sack at the end killed the final drive. The OL still has problems, especially when Trent Williams was not in the game.

Defenses are going to defend RGIII like they do Michael Vick, which is hit him hard every time he runs the ball. It's been pretty effective on Vick. Hopefully RGIII's passing abilities will limit his running and hits as the season progresses.

As for the defense, I have the exact opposite opinion. They are getting picked apart and burned by every opponent.

Yup. I love what i see from Rg3 and Morris. Good foundation.
I agree.Griffin is getting hit far too much, though. Tyler Polumbus was flat out horrible today and could have been replaced by a welcome mat. The whole pocket was being collapsed in less than 3 seconds on most passing plays. Receivers besides Davis were seldom open.

The defense was awful. There's no other way to say it. They are sinking the entire team. This is not the worst collection of defensive players in the league, but they play like it. They gave up 478 yards and 38 points today. They were playing badly before Orakpo and Carriker went out, and now they're even worse. Either it's the players on defense (Allen and Shanahan's responsibility) or the defenses they're supposed to be playing (Haslett's responsibility). I think it's far more the latter than the former.

If anyone thought this was an anomaly, it would be one thing. But we’re going on two years now of opponents exploiting a Cover-Zero scheme that lives up to its name: DeAngelo Hall and friends really don’t end up covering anybody.

For the eighth straight game dating from last season, Washington gave up more than 31 points and more than 350 yards.
link
“We felt like we knew what they doing going into it by the way they were playing,” Dalton said after throwing for 328 yards and three touchdowns. “For us, it was just about taking advantage of it.”

John Keim

A 31-point game would have been good enough to win 23 games combined in 2010-11
Reagarding the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty near the end
sounds like it was on kyle. skins wanted penalty on bengals coaches/players for being on the field.
Mike Wise says Kyle was unavailable to the media after the game, unlike Josh Morgan a week ago.
The Redskins drove the length of the field late, but apparently Kyle Shanahan got too mouthy with a replacement official at the end, and the Redskins were penalized big yards. Funny, no, that Josh Morgan faced the music last week after his loss of composure, but the offensive coordinator was uncharacteristically unavailable to the media after Sunday’s game. Come on, Kyle, you’re better than that.

Users who are viewing this thread