What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Malcolm Floyd (1 Viewer)

Voice Of Reason

Footballguy
Why isn't Floyd thought of so poorly, imo, as a fantasy receiver this season?

The past two season his per game numbers have him on pace for

2011 1141 yards and 8.7 TDs

2010 1042 yards and 7.3 TDs

his numbers are slightly more impressive because he clearly missed time during the 11 and 12 games he played during the last two seasons.

He averaged more yards per game than Vincent Jackson did last season.

His career yards per target is really good at 10.3 for his career (12.2 last year) and his catch rate is really good (57.8 career) for someone who runs deep routes so often.

Given his promotion to #1 WR in San Diego, am I missing something by rating him around the #20 WR this season?

Last edited by a moderator:
He is a great example of guy I draft and hope he gets off to a good start so his trade value increases. Floyd is capable of stringing together a run of big games, but so far in his career he has not been able to keep it going. He is 30 years old and still good enough that is not only in the league but starting and yet in 8 seasons has never been over 1,000 yards or 6 TDs.

He's not popular because experts are afraid pimping him would open them to ridicule, and experts do anything they can to avoid ridicule. Guy's in his 30's. Has a history of injury, and has never produced a huge fantasy season. Doesn't matter that circumstances are aligned perfectly for him to continue the outstanding work he did down the stretch last year. It's far better for the experts to play it as safe and popular as possible, which generally means just parroting what every other expert is saying. That's how you sell ad space: by being safe and popular.

And then of course the corollary to that is that the masses are terrified to think anything that isn't endorsed for them by the experts.

If you think he's going to blow up, reach up a round or two and grab him. I sure as #### will be. I think he's going to be a monster this season.

His main problem is a healthy Antonio Gates. Second problem is an inaccurate Phillip Rivers.
A career 63.6% passer was just called inaccurate :confused: I have Floyd in my top 20 but somehow he didn't make any of my teams. He's just a injury waiting to happen, my plan would be to trade him after the Chargers start hot. Easy schedule to start.

I like Floyd, but it probably has less to do with his skills are more to do with opportunity and math.

I believe Rivers and Floyd are the longest playing WR/QB combo in the league. Read that as comfort factor.

Despite a disaster of a year last year for Rivers, he still put up over 4500 passing yards. Someone has to catch some of those yards outside of Gates and everyone's favorite break out candidate, Vincent Brown, is down.

Heath is really my only concern here, but considering where he is being drafted, IMO he makes a great WR3/4/

He is 30 years old and still good enough that is not only in the league but starting and yet in 8 seasons has never been over 1,000 yards or 6 TDs.
Brandon Lloyd circa 2010 perhaps?
I actually thought about making that comparison when I was posting but their situations are pretty different. Floyd has been with one team his entire career, Lloyd was a journeyman. Floyd's enemy has been injury and opportunity early in his career, Lloyd was generally healthy and had opportunity, he just could not put it together.

Some thoughts (and this is coming from a Floyd owner):

1. he's on the downside of 30 years old

2. Gates is (supposedly) healthy (fewer targets for Floyd)

3. San Diego is projected for a down year

4. injury history (he's only made it through 16 games once in his career)

On the other hand, there are several reasons to be optimistic:

1. Jackson is gone

2. Brown is injured

3. Mathews is injured (they may have to rely on the passing game the first few weeks)

4. Gates might not be able to stay healthy

5. Meachem and Royal aren't major threats to playing time.

Anyway, I'll be happy if he produces in the 25-30 range, but I wouldn't draft him as anything more than a #3 WR.

Guy just dropped him in dynasty. Kinda surprised by that. I have a ww claim on him because a WR3 with a good QB and limited comp for targets is a nice commodity to have.

Some thoughts (and this is coming from a Floyd owner):1. he's on the downside of 30 years old2. Gates is (supposedly) healthy (fewer targets for Floyd)3. San Diego is projected for a down year4. injury history (he's only made it through 16 games once in his career)On the other hand, there are several reasons to be optimistic:1. Jackson is gone2. Brown is injured3. Mathews is injured (they may have to rely on the passing game the first few weeks)4. Gates might not be able to stay healthy5. Meachem and Royal aren't major threats to playing time.Anyway, I'll be happy if he produces in the 25-30 range, but I wouldn't draft him as anything more than a #3 WR.
I think you have a "heathy" Gates and a "might not be able to stay heathly" Gates on the wrong side of the equations.Even with a heathy Gates there will be plenty of passing yards to go around for the WR1 and a heathy Gates demands double, or even triple, teams leaving Floyd more open in coverage.

You should all stop posting junk about perceived drawbacks to owning him.

His ONLY issue is health. He has the best chemistry with Rivers aside from Gates, but has never once lasted through an entire season. He usually averages in the top 10 of yards per catch and has great per game numbers. He just can't stay on the field. I've watched this guy for almost a decade now, I don't see him staying healthy for a full season this year either. If he does, he'll post top 10 WR numbers. One of highest reward low risk guys out there. He's involved in all facets of the chargers offense.

He's never caught more than 45 balls in a season. Part of it has been health, but he's been kicking around the league since 2004 and the Chargers have been waiting for him to step up. With his physical tools and the Chargers' style of offense, one assumes he would have done so by now. I'm not convinced that just because he potentially has a better opportunity in 2012 for more catches means he is going to get them

looks like everything's been covered by previous posters.

He is the definition of an unsexy pick. Slightly sexier this season because of VJax gone and Brown out. Bottomline, he should have some decent stat lines by default. I snagged him late in a 12 teamer with that in mind.

what are your thoughts on this guy for this weekends game? i like him a lot this weekend and i think he will do well. i think he would do worse if gates and matthews were out tho b/c coverage would shift mostly to him. since they are both in the coverage will shift more to gates and matthews. maybe im wrong tho. what are your thoughts?

what are your thoughts on this guy for this weekends game? i like him a lot this weekend and i think he will do well. i think he would do worse if gates and matthews were out tho b/c coverage would shift mostly to him. since they are both in the coverage will shift more to gates and matthews. maybe im wrong tho. what are your thoughts?
This is exactly how I was thinking. He's been great through his first two games and should of had a touchdown last week to go with his 109 yards. I'm actually thinking of playing him instead of P. Harvin this week...

This is exactly how I was thinking. He's been great through his first two games and should of had a touchdown last week to go with his 109 yards. I'm actually thinking of playing him instead of P. Harvin this week...
Have the exact same decision to make, Harvin or Floyd and am leaning Floyd. I suspect the prospect for a shootout is much higher in the Chargers game, Niners could easily shut Percy down or at least render him much less effective.

Have the exact same decision to make, Harvin or Floyd and am leaning Floyd. I suspect the prospect for a shootout is much higher in the Chargers game, Niners could easily shut Percy down or at least render him much less effective.
Harvin is a tough start this week. I am leaning towards Dwayne Bowe over him.

That's crazy talk!

I like floyd alot but you got to start harvin. is there no one else you can bench?

Last edited by a moderator:
Harvin doesn't have a tough start, he has a really, good solid start. The Niners shut down the run and the deep game. Leaves the short passing game full of flares and dumpoffs and such as the major viable weapon against them.Two of the last four games they've played have featured Harvin-ish players...or at least players being used in Harvin-ish roles.GB moved Cobb into that role for one night. 9/77 (And a mostly irrelevant kick return TD to boot...but of course, always remember there's that chance for Harvin as well when you start him...just sayin'.)NO plays Sproles in almost a carbon-copy of the Harvin role. Faced off in the playoffs last year. 15/120/1.The NYG didn't have a single guy filling that role, but if you read the play-by-plays, you'll see the combo of Bradshaw and Cruz took about a dozen different dumpoff passes and turned them into numbers that dwarf the above ones.The short passing game is where SF is vulnerable, and MIN is going to have to use it a lot to succeed.

I like floyd alot but you got to start harvin. is there no one else you can bench?
Harvin would get the start over Floyd for me.

Harvin doesn't have a tough start, he has a really, good solid start. The Niners shut down the run and the deep game. Leaves the short passing game full of flares and dumpoffs and such as the major viable weapon against them.Two of the last four games they've played have featured Harvin-ish players...or at least players being used in Harvin-ish roles.GB moved Cobb into that role for one night. 9/77 (And a mostly irrelevant kick return TD to boot...but of course, always remember there's that chance for Harvin as well when you start him...just sayin'.)NO plays Sproles in almost a carbon-copy of the Harvin role. Faced off in the playoffs last year. 15/120/1.The NYG didn't have a single guy filling that role, but if you read the play-by-plays, you'll see the combo of Bradshaw and Cruz took about a dozen different dumpoff passes and turned them into numbers that dwarf the above ones.The short passing game is where SF is vulnerable, and MIN is going to have to use it a lot to succeed.
All excellent points no doubt. I just think that beyond AP, Harvin is pretty much all the Vikings have and the Niners know this. It's a little different to compare NO last year with the Vikings this year. Speaking schematically though, you're probably bang on the money..

All excellent points no doubt. I just think that beyond AP, Harvin is pretty much all the Vikings have and the Niners know this. It's a little different to compare NO last year with the Vikings this year. Speaking schematically though, you're probably bang on the money..
I think Zeff and LionOfG both have valid points, which makes this very interesting and why I luv and hate fantasy football at the same time. As for me I have Bradon Marshall, Floyd, and Harvin and have to start two out of the three.The reason I mentioned me possibly starting Floyd over Harvin because if u look at Floyd's last 6 games going back to last year, he's been tearing it up (not that Harvin hasn't as well) and I don't think a lot of folks have realized this! That San Fran D is downright scary, but Zeff does bring up some valid points regarding the slot receiver vs. San Fran. Decisions, decisions, decisions.......

Users who are viewing this thread