What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What do you bring/use for your draft? (1 Viewer)

ppierce

Footballguy
There is so much info out there and available that it kind of becomes overwhelming during the draft if you have too much stuff. What do you really use during your draft?

my own draft list, FBG draft cheat sheet, CBS sportsline draft sheet (my league uses this, so brought for reference), Sigmund Blooms draft cheat sheet and FBG Draft Dominator with a laptop....

Custom cheatsheet print out (FBG flavor), a black pen to cross off who was taken, a red pen to "star" guys who are slipping or I may want so my attention is focused on them, and a highlighter for the players I select. I have done it this way since 1997, and it really is like X-Mas...a tradition.

One day I will try to break out the Draft Dominator, but I really just enjoy doing it this way, and it does not seem to hurt my drafts.

I got mocked this year for being the only one who didnt bring a laptop or ipad, but I really love just showing up with a marked up FBG VBD printout, the CBS rankings, and a sheet to fill in with your picks. I mostly just use the FBG VBD sheet, but I'll bounce the CBS rankings off it if I'm going between two players.

So sad that all the drafts are done for the year

my own draft list, FBG draft cheat sheet, CBS sportsline draft sheet (my league uses this, so brought for reference), Sigmund Blooms draft cheat sheet and FBG Draft Dominator with a laptop....
Do you find all of that to be cumbersome? I mean, how do you cross off names of 4 lists and enter the info into DD while keeping up? I can't see managing all that on a 2 minute clock or less.

2 pages (a printout of my own projections + an NFL depth chart printout) and a pen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I create my own rankings and tiers and use www.cheatsheetwizard.com for the ease of editing said rankings.

Then I bring my laptop to my live draft, delete players as they are taken, and draft accordingly. It worked absolute wonders for me this year.

And beer of course.

I have all of my information on a single sheet constructed in Excel -- except for bye weeks -- and it has served me well. I'm much less frantic, and developing the sheet has forced me to examine every single piece of data in advance and also made me confront player comparisons, both interpositional and intrapositional, so that very little of that remains to consume my time during the draft itself. To rank players, I use projections (either Dodds alone or modified in Projections Dominator) fed through the Draft Dominator with a user customizable position rank to get one set of data, then I get another set of data from a second source. I merge the data, using a weighted average (different each year, depends on my feeling on which set of data is better, at each position; sometimes 50/50, sometimes as far off as 75/25). I actually list both sources overall rank (top 100 or so) or position rank (100+ or so) on the sheet, along with the merged average, and finally their ADP round.

I rank the players in a tiered manner, so it's by position but also staggered by value into tiers. Left to right goes QB, RB, WR, TE. So I already have a lot of the interpositional sorting accomplished.

Another aspect to this spreadsheet is that I try to have tier breaks close to where my overall draft pick is for each round.

This year I was 11th of 12, so I actually only attempted to "force" tiers at the 14 spot (for separating rounds 1 and 2 players), the 38 spot (for rounds 3 and 4), the 62 spot, and so on.

I ended up with more tiers than that, but creating those tiers, which are based on previous drafts in the same league where available, helps me to see the consequences of passing on each position on each pass, essentially creating a peek at DVBD. And really, I think I get a BETTER overview with the paper, due to my ability to see all the way to the 10th round or so, then I do with the DVBD window on Draft Dominator.

I know this doesn't apply to everyone, but if you have league drafts from the previous season or two, using those to get an estimate of your league tendencies can be very useful in terms of forming tiers and using those tiers to help inform your early round draft strategy.

i use my own draft sheet + DD on the laptop

im the commish so im busy the whole draft. minute 30 rounds

I think having a SOS and Depth Chart helps. The you look in later rounds and say to yourself, "wait a minute, Sidney Rice is WR#1 on his team with the easiest WR schedule, I'll take a flier on that". Also map out a committee approach for each position, in case you end up waiting.

bring and use are far different

USE - one single #######g page with all positions in columns (excel is your friend and I revise easily right up to draft day) and one page NFL schedule by Week (list byes, times, dates etc) - Everything does fit on one piece of paper**

Bring - any other rankings, notes etc that I like (although they usually never make it out of a manilla folder except maybe on a break where I want to look at something), extra pens, highlighter, Snacks, maybe drinks (diet snapple or soda that you can't get at Vegas life drafts), at least one mag to confuse anyone so gullible

**on NFL schedule by Week - I got so used to this as my friend and for years league mate Jack Pullman who ran All Pro Publishing put it out with all his materials and it is so flipping convenient - might have to look for backup qb for who you got instead of who you thought might be available and quick scan at just one sheet can give you best matchups for secondary guys. Sadly Jack is on sabbatical - I wish him well with new life choices but hope it is temporary - so I had to do it myself this year and it was a bi*** but have it perfect and will take to Vegas and see if DD wants to buy it so all subscribers have next year.

VBD Excel, Consensus ADP Sheet to cross off (round turns, keepers, and my draft slots highlighted), and laptop/excel to enter everyone's draft picks.

I've seen one person using the draft dominator for just one year, but I refuse to, don't want a crowd wondering what program I'm using every year.

VBD Excel, Consensus ADP Sheet to cross off (round turns, keepers, and my draft slots highlighted), and laptop/excel to enter everyone's draft picks. I've seen one person using the draft dominator for just one year, but I refuse to, don't want a crowd wondering what program I'm using every year.
I've found that I'm more focused on the draft by not getting caught up in all the bells and whistles of Draft Dominator, but making sure others don't find out about it is also a reason to not use it at the draft. I use it in preparation to help with my projections, rankings, etc. Of course, I'm also running my custom Excel Draft program (with VBA features) that replaces a stickers and board setup, and I really don't want two computers going simultaneously. So there's a lot going on for me.

An ADP, a dark pen, and several mental strategies for the first 5 rounds. I find the DD useless except for keeping track of which teams have already drafted what position. Can easily tally that at the bottom of my ADP sheet, though.

Do you find all of that to be cumbersome? I mean, how do you cross off names of 4 lists and enter the info into DD while keeping up? I can't see managing all that on a 2 minute clock or less.
nope, I really only use my list and the DD, but I check these other sheets as we go very deep into the draft after rds 10 for tiebreakers.DD is a very cool tool as it is customizable.. but some of the rankings are a little wonky and need to be ignored ( i could not figure out why they had welker 32 in my scoring system...)

Users who are viewing this thread