What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Get Your Money out of the Market (1 Viewer)

here's a question.What warrants a "get your money out of the market" post?impending 500 point dow drop?impending 1000 point dow drop?impending 3000 point dow drop?1000 points is plenty, but honestly i feel like those are the waves of the market.But honestly if the anticipated correction isn't 15% of the dow or more I think most long term investors are wasting their time market timing
I would be surprised if the market hit is less than 500 points
:lmao:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: You called a panic thread on a drop of 500?! You're talking about on the NASDAQ, right?

here's a question.What warrants a "get your money out of the market" post?impending 500 point dow drop?impending 1000 point dow drop?impending 3000 point dow drop?1000 points is plenty, but honestly i feel like those are the waves of the market.But honestly if the anticipated correction isn't 15% of the dow or more I think most long term investors are wasting their time market timing
I agree with your premise. I personally think another market crash similar to 2008 is coming.
Depends on the impact of QE3.If QE3 is effective, the impending crash will be pushed a year or two into the future once again.If QE3 is ineffective then we are bearing down on the crash in the not too distant future.The first couple months of QE3 aren't looking good so far, but that may have more to do with politics than Fed policy, so the jury is still out.

You called a panic thread on a drop of 500?! You're talking about on the NASDAQ, right?
500 minimum, and you're calling it a "panic thread", not me.Fade me if you don't believe me, see how that works out for you. So far you've lost percentage points of your savings...oops.

Depends on the impact of QE3.If QE3 is effective, the impending crash will be pushed a year or two into the future once again.If QE3 is ineffective then we are bearing down on the crash in the not too distant future.The first couple months of QE3 aren't looking good so far, but that may have more to do with politics than Fed policy, so the jury is still out.
I think that's a relatively rosey prognostication. The QE measures are slowly effecting our credit rating which will continue to deleteriously effect the economy. The agencies are watching, and while the armchair economists in this forum blow them off, another credit rating dip for this country will have real consequences...just like it did the first time, although a second blow to rating would likely be more severe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that's a relatively rosey prognostication. The QE measures are slowly effecting our credit rating which will continue to deleteriously effect the economy. The agencies are watching, and while the armchair economists in this forum blow them off, another credit rating dip for this country will have real consequences.
The fact that the Fed decided to implement QE3 is an indication that things are NOT rosey. A doctor doesn't put a patient on drugs when the patient is healthy.If QE3 is effective, it will dull the pain for a while. if it's not, we're f'd and you are right.

I think that's a relatively rosey prognostication. The QE measures are slowly effecting our credit rating which will continue to deleteriously effect the economy. The agencies are watching, and while the armchair economists in this forum blow them off, another credit rating dip for this country will have real consequences.
The fact that the Fed decided to implement QE3 is an indication that things are NOT rosey. A doctor doesn't put a patient on drugs when the patient is healthy.If QE3 is effective, it will dull the pain for a while. if it's not, we're f'd and you are right.
I meant that your post was relatively rosey, not that your market outlook was...I think we're mostly on the same page.My point is that the market is f'd either way...the QE measueres have a "Drag down" effect on the markets.Even if the cliff is successfully avoided, we've got Iran/Middle East and Europe. Investing in the market now is like drafting a 38 year old runningback in the first round, all risk, no reward.

I meant that your post was relatively rosey, not that your market outlook was...I think we're mostly on the same page.My point is that the market is f'd either way...the QE measueres have a "Drag down" effect on the markets.Even if the cliff is successfully avoided, we've got Iran/Middle East and Europe. Investing in the market now is like drafting a 38 year old runningback in the first round, all risk, no reward.
I agree. My exposure to the market is limited to a 401k where the options are only stock funds or bond funds.... Or pay the penalty to withdraw it. I sold the rest of my stock market exposure and paid off all my debts... My mortgage, my car loans, etc.... I'm going into this next round debt free and with limited exposure to Wall Street.The market has had some good days since I got out, but I equate that to people playing Russian Roulette.... They click the gun and celebrate that they won again today, and tomorrow they will click the gun again and celebrate again that they won, and mock those who got out and are missing out on all this winning..... But then one day.... BANG!!!!

You called a panic thread on a drop of 500?!

You're talking about on the NASDAQ, right?
500 minimum, and you're calling it a "panic thread", not me.
:lmao:

So you started a thread telling everyone in the FFA to get out of the market because it might drop 4%...or more sometime in the undefined period of the future?

Roger that, captain vaguery.

In other news....

EVERYONE... AVOID AIR TRAVEL.

THERE'S GOING TO BE A PLANE CRASH/INCIDENT WITH AT LEAST ONE INJURY SOMETIME!

Investing in the market now is like drafting a 38 year old runningback in the first round, all risk, no reward.
Yet at the same time leaving your money in all cash in a time of inflation can also be dangerous. Regardless if you think the market is going up or down the most important thing is you pay attention. I could be dead wrong, but I think we are going to start to see some volatility over the next 6 months. There are times where you can leave your money invested for the long term and not worry about the market going up or down 10% over any given year. I think we are exiting such a period and active management is prudent.

Investing in the market now is like drafting a 38 year old runningback in the first round, all risk, no reward.
Yet at the same time leaving your money in all cash in a time of inflation can also be dangerous. Regardless if you think the market is going up or down the most important thing is you pay attention. I could be dead wrong, but I think we are going to start to see some volatility over the next 6 months. There are times where you can leave your money invested for the long term and not worry about the market going up or down 10% over any given year. I think we are exiting such a period and active management is prudent.
I've got some active but using all my SEP these days to just roll with VAIPX (Vanguard's TIPS fund). I don't trust this market at all.

I'm considering borrowing from my 401K next May to purchase a primary residence. (Yeah, I know, don't borrow from your 401K). Currently my 401K allocation is:

Growth 40.0%

Growth-and-income 44.9%

Equity-income/Balanced 10.0%

Bond 5.1%

Would it be wise for me to transfer all my money into a stable fund now? My concern is if there is a crash, my available balance to loan will drop below what I need it to be next May. I'm a moron and don't understand what the hell I am doing. TIA.

I'm considering borrowing from my 401K next May to purchase a primary residence. (Yeah, I know, don't borrow from your 401K). Currently my 401K allocation is:Growth 40.0%Growth-and-income 44.9%Equity-income/Balanced 10.0%Bond 5.1%Would it be wise for me to transfer all my money into a stable fund now? My concern is if there is a crash, my available balance to loan will drop below what I need it to be next May. I'm a moron and don't understand what the hell I am doing. TIA.
My advice would be to get some paid advice and not from this message board; not trying to be a doosh but you'll have people favoring every single option that you have here, making decisions with a partial amount of information that they would need to know.

I'm considering borrowing from my 401K next May to purchase a primary residence. (Yeah, I know, don't borrow from your 401K). Currently my 401K allocation is:Growth 40.0%Growth-and-income 44.9%Equity-income/Balanced 10.0%Bond 5.1%Would it be wise for me to transfer all my money into a stable fund now? My concern is if there is a crash, my available balance to loan will drop below what I need it to be next May. I'm a moron and don't understand what the hell I am doing. TIA.
My advice would be to get some paid advice and not from this message board; not trying to be a doosh but you'll have people favoring every single option that you have here, making decisions with a partial amount of information that they would need to know.
Not a doosh. That's good advice. I have a financial guy I can call, and I was going to. I was just reading this thread and had a knee-jerk moment. :bag:

Don't borrow from your 401k and certainly don't listen to the forum's resident dumbasses like LHUCKS to inform your investing decisions. KISS: Keep it simple, stupid

I know its been a rough run, but I hope everyone has weathered this 42 point drop over the last 2 1/2 months.
With the rally today I think the Dow is now higher than when doomsday was predicted at the start of this thread.Dow was at 12,997 when the thread started. Dow closed at 13,009 today.

I know its been a rough run, but I hope everyone has weathered this 42 point drop over the last 2 1/2 months.
With the rally today I think the Dow is now higher than when doomsday was predicted at the start of this thread.Dow was at 12,997 when the thread started. Dow closed at 13,009 today.
Closed already? Is it a half day?ETA: Never mind, it closed at 1:00 Eastern.

'NewlyRetired said:
'Limp Ditka said:
GET YOUR MONEY OUT! It's going down at least 500 points some undetermined point!!!!1!!

'NewlyRetired said:
'Limp Ditka said:
GET YOUR MONEY OUT! It's going down at least 500 points some undetermined point!!!!1!!
The beauty of this is no matter what happens from this point on, this thread is now null and void. Nothing worse than trying to time the market in a single day play. Intelligent people would say something like "there are some decent concerns out there that may see the market drop over time. Perhaps slowly dollar cost averaging out some of your position into different investments over the next year might be worth considering"Idiots say things like "take all of your money out today".

'NewlyRetired said:
'Limp Ditka said:
The beauty of this is no matter what happens from this point on, this thread is now null and void. Nothing worse than trying to time the market in a single day play. Intelligent people would say something like "there are some decent concerns out there that may see the market drop over time. Perhaps slowly dollar cost averaging out some of your position into different investments over the next year might be worth considering"Idiots say things like "take all of your money out today".
Exactly.I don't think there are many sane investors out there that didn't think the market is ripe for a correction of sorts... However the attention whorish manner in which this was done (not surprisingly) is always going to bring about derision.... Particularly from a walking handjob like shucks.

I doubt lhucks shows back up
Oh as soon as the market dips again (which it will) he will be strolling in here just like nostradumb###. Just like clockwork.
but that is the whole point of my previous post.It makes no sense to come back in here if/when the market drops when the original claim was that it was going to drop immediately months ago. Unless the original poster is a complete moron.....oh wait, I see your point now

Over the next four months several factors (including but not limited to Europe and the political mudslinging) are going to result in significant stock market losses IMHO. It may not happen, but I think the likelihood is much stronger than an increase.The Dow is at 12,997 right now. :blackdot:
13,021.82 right now. :coffee:

Got into oil earlier this week(see stock thread)...safer than stock.
So you're 100% in oil? I applaud your intelligent use of diversification.
http://live.wsj.com/...6B-9DC23DD82BEF
Entrepreneur Mark Cuban sits down with the Journal's Alan Murray and weighs in on the fluctuating market. Cuban is investing in volatility. He believes "buy and hold is a crock of $%#!" and diversification is for idiots.
(Note: I should say I don't support Cuban's view for the average investor. But maybe LHUCKS isn't the average investor.)

http://live.wsj.com/video/cuban-on-investing-diversification-is-for-idiots/233AE43E-9DA3-40A3-8F6B-9DC23DD82BEF.html#!233AE43E-9DA3-40A3-8F6B-9DC23DD82BEF
Entrepreneur Mark Cuban sits down with the Journal's Alan Murray and weighs in on the fluctuating market. Cuban is investing in volatility. He believes "buy and hold is a crock of $%#!" and diversification is for idiots.
:goodposting:

technically 50% in oil...so getting out of the market has been a net gain for me.Will likely hand pick stocks frome here on out and stay away from funds/indeces.

Over the next four months several factors (including but not limited to Europe and the political mudslinging) are going to result in significant stock market losses IMHO. It may not happen, but I think the likelihood is much stronger than an increase.The Dow is at 12,997 right now. :blackdot:
13,021.82 right now. :coffee:
So two and half months of QE3 has produced a 0.2% market gain.The Fed's bag of tricks might be losing their potency.ETA: I hope those mocking LHUCKS realize that the Fed wouldn't have decided to start QE3 if there wasn't some degree of truth to what LHUCKS said. It doesn't QE stable or good markets.

technically 50% in oil...so getting out of the market has been a net gain for me.Will likely hand pick stocks frome here on out and stay away from funds/indeces.
what do you do in your 401k where there aren't those types of options?

http://live.wsj.com/video/cuban-on-investing-diversification-is-for-idiots/233AE43E-9DA3-40A3-8F6B-9DC23DD82BEF.html#!233AE43E-9DA3-40A3-8F6B-9DC23DD82BEF
:goodposting:
I agree that buy and hold is for idiots, but the truely idiotic thing that people do is to invest thier financial future into a mechanism that they do not understand. If you cannot explain what you are buying, and why you expect it will increase in value, you are better off paying off your house or keeping your savings in cash. Diversification can still be a good strategy for people who can't pay the same level of attention as Warren Buffet. Meaning, if you think the stock market will go up and can justify why, it isn't a bad idea to put all of your money into a market based mutal fund. The low fees, combined with a rising tide lifting all stocks will still allow you to capture most of the upswing. If you have a job, kids, and elderly parents, this may be the best you can do.

Users who are viewing this thread