What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A Mass knife fight between all the Presidents (1 Viewer)

Figure Lincoln would have a reach advantage on most of the competition. Probably a bit clumsy but pretty rugged.

Teddy being massively overrated. Guy was a softie from Manhattan and Harvard.

Ford will surprise by lasting longer than expected. D-I All-American Center, correct?

Figure Lincoln would have a reach advantage on most of the competition. Probably a bit clumsy but pretty rugged.Teddy being massively overrated. Guy was a softie from Manhattan and Harvard.Ford will surprise by lasting longer than expected. D-I All-American Center, correct?
Also, I think the author dismisses Carter to quickly. The guy was in the Navy on submarines.

Lincoln easily. All those years chopping logs, splitting rails, etc. Guy can handle a blade, plus he's got those long arms. He was a great wrestler, too. I don't think anyone could take him.

Jackson, Grant washington... in that order. Jackson was a bad mofo

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure I agree with the analysis. The favorites would all get targeted early for elimination. The guys that could avoid too much conflict would emerge at the end.

Andrew Jackson: The man’s nickname was Old Hickory because he walked around town with a bludgeon that to the untrained eye was a walking stick.
That's not how he got his nickname.I would put my money on Lincoln in this. A lot of people don't realize that, as a young man, Lincoln was a legendary "rassler" in his neck of the woods. I would also have ranked Ford much higher. Ford was 6'0" and was an all-star, two way starter at Michigan. He was also offered contracts from at least two NFL teams.Garfield needs more love. Another 6-footer who looked pretty husky. Also a fairly shrewd Civil War officer until he got the Hep.

Dwight might need more love here. Military guy, calm, cool and collected. Even warned against the complex. I can see him staring someone in the eyes, saying, "It's for the best" and gutting him.

I just learned more about Taylor in the last 5 minutes then I ever would have without this article. Bad ###

Also - could we be dismissing Obama here? Drug dealing on the South Side is not a game for sissy's - hell just ask Osama - he's a sneaky mfer

...who later went on to overcome such poor beginnings to become a certified bad-###. Ranked appropriately.
Forgot about this incident:
Milwaukee, Wis., October 14 -- A desperate attempt to kill Col. Theodore Roosevelt tonight failed when a 32 caliber bullet aimed directly at the heart of the former president and fired at short range by the crazed assailant, spent part of its force in a bundle of manuscript containing the address which Co. Roosevelt was to deliver tonight, and wounded the Progressive candidate for President.

Col. Roosevelt delivered part of his scheduled address with the bullet in his body, his blood staining his white vest as he spoke to a huge throng at the auditorium. Later, he collapsed, weakened by the wound, and was rushed to Emergency hospital.

Shot in Front of Hotel

The shooting took place in the street in front of the Hotel Gilpatrick. Col. Roosevelt reached Milwaukee shortly after 5 o'clock and making his way through the crowd which had gathered at the station, entered an automobile and was driven to a private dining room on the main floor with the members of the party on his private car.

After dinner Col. Roosevelt stood up, waving his hat in answer to the cheers of the crowd. The assassin was standing in the crowd a few feet from the automobile. He pushed his way to the side of the car and, raising his gun, fired.

Henry F. Cochems, former athlete and Chairman of the Progressive Party speaker's bureau, and Elbert Martin, Roosevelt's stenographer, seized the man and held him until policemen came up. John Schrank, who is small of stature, admitted firing the shot and said that "any man looking for a third term ought to be shot."

Col. Roosevelt barely moved as the shot was fired. Before the crowd knew what had happened, Martin, who is six feet tall and a former football player, had landed squarely on the assassin's shoulders and borne him to the ground. He threw his right arm about the man's neck with a death-like grip and with his left arm seized the hand that held the revolver. In another second he had disarmed him.

All this happened within a few seconds and Col. Roosevelt stood gazing rather curiously at the man who attempted his life before the stunned crowd realized what was going on.

Col. Roosevelt refused to allow doctors to examine him at first. Later, doctors made an examination of the wound and announced "Col. Roosevelt is suffering from a superficial flesh wound. Bleeding was insignificant. He soon traveled on to the Auditorium where he was scheduled to give a speech."

Bullet Perforates Manuscript

The manuscript of his speech doubtless had done much to save his life. When he had come upon the platform at the Auditorium he drew the manuscript from his vest pocket during his first few words, the torn sheets of paper, showing many stains blood, showed also that the bullet had gone through the manuscript.

"You see," cried the colonel holding up the manuscript so that the audience could see the bullet hole through the sheets of paper, "It takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose.
They have the shirt and the speech at the Roosevelt house on East 20th St.

...who later went on to overcome such poor beginnings to become a certified bad-###. Ranked appropriately.
Milwaukee, Wis., October 14 -- A desperate attempt to kill Col. Theodore Roosevelt tonight failed when a 32 caliber bullet aimed directly at the heart of the former president and fired at short range by the crazed assailant, spent part of its force in a bundle of manuscript containing the address which Co. Roosevelt was to deliver tonight, and wounded the Progressive candidate for President.

Col. Roosevelt delivered part of his scheduled address with the bullet in his body, his blood staining his white vest as he spoke to a huge throng at the auditorium. Later, he collapsed, weakened by the wound, and was rushed to Emergency hospital.

Shot in Front of Hotel

The shooting took place in the street in front of the Hotel Gilpatrick. Col. Roosevelt reached Milwaukee shortly after 5 o'clock and making his way through the crowd which had gathered at the station, entered an automobile and was driven to a private dining room on the main floor with the members of the party on his private car.

After dinner Col. Roosevelt stood up, waving his hat in answer to the cheers of the crowd. The assassin was standing in the crowd a few feet from the automobile. He pushed his way to the side of the car and, raising his gun, fired.

Henry F. Cochems, former athlete and Chairman of the Progressive Party speaker's bureau, and Elbert Martin, Roosevelt's stenographer, seized the man and held him until policemen came up. John Schrank, who is small of stature, admitted firing the shot and said that "any man looking for a third term ought to be shot."

Col. Roosevelt barely moved as the shot was fired. Before the crowd knew what had happened, Martin, who is six feet tall and a former football player, had landed squarely on the assassin's shoulders and borne him to the ground. He threw his right arm about the man's neck with a death-like grip and with his left arm seized the hand that held the revolver. In another second he had disarmed him.

All this happened within a few seconds and Col. Roosevelt stood gazing rather curiously at the man who attempted his life before the stunned crowd realized what was going on.

Col. Roosevelt refused to allow doctors to examine him at first. Later, doctors made an examination of the wound and announced "Col. Roosevelt is suffering from a superficial flesh wound. Bleeding was insignificant. He soon traveled on to the Auditorium where he was scheduled to give a speech."

The manuscript of his speech doubtless had done much to save his life. When he had come upon the platform at the Auditorium he drew the manuscript from his vest pocket during his first few words, the torn sheets of paper, showing many stains blood, showed also that the bullet had gone through the manuscript.

"You see," cried the colonel holding up the manuscript so that the audience could see the bullet hole through the sheets of paper, "It takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose.
I made a meme/poster for my classroom with a photo of Teddy grinning ear-to-ear. It says "Teddy Roosevelt was once shot in the chest yet went on to deliver a 90 minute long speech. Please tell me again what your excuse for not doing your work was?"

It is shame we, as a country, haven't gotten to the point where we can embrace a Hispanic president.

Because, I'd totally bet the farm on that guy.

I think the one thing that would prohibit me from taking Teddy in this is that as soon as the bell rang he would head straight for that fat slob Taft. Teddy might let his animosity for Taft cloud his judgement. Some sneaky SOB like GWB, Nixon, or Adams might be able to shiv him while his back was turned.

My first thought when I saw the topic was Andrew Jackson. Lincoln and Teddy would be the next tier. But I didn't consider the "going after the favorites" plan that some have made here. I will have to think on this more strategy wise......

Shot in Front of Hotel

I made a meme/poster for my classroom with a photo of Teddy grinning ear-to-ear. It says "Teddy Roosevelt was once shot in the chest yet went on to deliver a 90 minute long speech. Please tell me again what your excuse for not doing your work was?"
I need one of those for my class!

I wouldn't count out James Madison so quick. Granted, he had no physical presence at all and was the shortest President in history, but he was a master manipulater. If the arena is the size of the Roman Collisuem there will be plenty of room for 43 guys to run around or group up somehow - but the problem is that there can be only one.

Nah, I don't think alliances really work here that well. Not when it's live or die. If the rules allowed a team to win, then it's easier to work together. But no one is working with anyone else save maybe the fathers and sons (Adams and Bush).

All the military guys have a leg up. Washington, Jackson, Tyler, Taylor, Teddy, I'm forgetting a few. The modern guys I don't think would stand much of a chance overall. Even if they have some military experience it's a different military experience. While we can safely assume that the Revolution and Civil War guys have knife experience I can't see JFK doing very well with a blade. GHWBush was a pilot, not an infantry guy on the front line.

I'll take Andy Jackson still. I think you have to put all the line fighters from the Civil War up there too. This is a fun exercise. There needs to be like a one on one battle chart to go over or something so I can keep ignoring my work here.

Ford will surprise by lasting longer than expected. D-I All-American Center, correct?
Linebacker as well.
During the same season, in a game against the University of Chicago, Ford "became the only future U.S. president to tackle a future Heisman Trophy winner when he brought down running back Jay Berwanger, who would win the first Heisman the following year"

I wouldn't count out James Madison so quick. Granted, he had no physical presence at all and was the shortest President in history, but he was a master manipulater. If the arena is the size of the Roman Collisuem there will be plenty of room for 43 guys to run around or group up somehow - but the problem is that there can be only one.

Nah, I don't think alliances really work here that well. Not when it's live or die. If the rules allowed a team to win, then it's easier to work together. But no one is working with anyone else save maybe the fathers and sons (Adams and Bush).

All the military guys have a leg up. Washington, Jackson, Tyler, Taylor, Teddy, I'm forgetting a few. The modern guys I don't think would stand much of a chance overall. Even if they have some military experience it's a different military experience. While we can safely assume that the Revolution and Civil War guys have knife experience I can't see JFK doing very well with a blade. GHWBush was a pilot, not an infantry guy on the front line.

I'll take Andy Jackson still. I think you have to put all the line fighters from the Civil War up there too. This is a fun exercise. There needs to be like a one on one battle chart to go over or something so I can keep ignoring my work here.
Somebody set up a bracket...STAT!!

My top 10:

10. B.H. Obama - Likely in the best physical condition; low kill count but could outrun would be attackers

9. Eisenhower - Military training and tactics would be a plus

8. James Garfield - showed courage in Civil War, physically strong

7. George H. W. Bush - CIA training would be very handy, could be higher on the list if Bush Jr. and were on the same page

6. U.S. Grant - Drunk, yes, but mean. He would benefit from bezerker-like frenzy from anger-induced PTSD

5. W.H. Harrison - **SLEEPER ALERT** take away the fluke death after 30 days in office, he was a frontier Indian fighter

4. George Washington - rach advantage, respected by all

3. Abe Lincoln - wrasslin' experience would really help in a knife fight

2. Teddy Roosevelt - strongest will of all contestants, probably best with a knife

1. Andrew Jackson - not sure if a knife could even kill this man

Users who are viewing this thread